Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
The current order of business is "gently caress Florida".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

The Grand Orient de France sounds super rad, I wish we had something like that here.

Well, they're not Masonry but if you're looking for them I'm sure you'll find them in North America.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I've always been pretty interested in masonry, me and a few friends were fairly seriously considering joining up.
Does Canadian masonry differ much from american? I'm trying to read up on it but I can't really tell if it's any more progressive than the american version. Any Canadian masons around?

It's no more "progressive" and every lodge in Canada I visited might as well have been an American lodge.

Baronjutter posted:

Society as a whole has progressed quite a bit since freemasonry has been around, why does it get a "pass" for not advance with it?

Because as an organization it's still mostly about a bunch of old guys wanting some time with buddies away from their wives.

Broken Knees Club posted:

So how do transmen figure into the whole "no girls allowed" thing?

There was actually a big discussion on this in the last several of pages of the last thread.

e. Basically it boiled down to most of us younger Masons caring more about gender identity than sex and an acknowledgement that it might be an uphill battle with the older Masons.

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 18, 2012

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

DeepQantas posted:

Which MMO was this goon guild for again?

Marriage.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

7thBatallion posted:

Would it be completely uncool to have the square and compasses sealed n wax on the bottles.

This is the exact kind of thing that would be cool.

Now I want to make Masonic Hot Sauce. Plenty of Third-degree burn jokes in there.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Ari posted:

I know that at the very least, my state (Florida) requires a candidate to have been born physically male, to physically still be male, and to dress and act as a male while at any masonic event or meeting. Do you fit those requirements?

Please tell me you're kidding.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Man, the REDACTED I got new not to use teeth. :fap:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

This is oft claimed but not to my knowledge true.

Pretty sure there's a lot of solid evidence for this, actually. :confused:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

jsavino posted:

Furthermore, I'm of the opinion that if you believe in (1) the existence of one ever living and true god, and (2) the immortality of the soul and resurrection, then there's nothing to stop you from joining and no one should be asking you your religious persuasion.

Reminder that both of these qualifications are not universal and that many Masons including myself are not monotheists and many of us emphatically deny the existence of the soul and the immortality of anything. :)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

So was Santa good to everyone in this thread?

This is the best thing. :)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Y'all had a much more polite response to Ari than myself.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

And I have communicated my displeasure in open forum, and by correspondence to him directly, but in public I will respect his office for that is what I signed up for. We salute, and we respect the office.

I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree with this. An office can be tainted by individuals committing unMasonic acts under the guise of authority, and at that point we have a choice to speak up or watch the office be tarnished for much longer than that master's terms. We have no obligation to the office whatsoever, we have every obligation to the brother who is holding the office and the brethren who are subjected to that brother's edicts.

I have put my money where my mouth is in this regard before as others in this thread can tell you, and I've been banned from lodge for challenging the WM's authority (after I accused him and several other members of canvassing for votes in the post-vote "are there any objections?" stage). I'm loving tired of shitheel Masons being given infinite leeway specifically because nobody wants to pay attention to the whole "Making Good Men Better" part if it runs up against traditional authority. That is the biggest failing of Masonry today, and I've been seriously considering giving up my membership if my state Grand Lodge doesn't push hard to have that idiotic edict overturned.

We owe nothing to the East and everything to the men who sit there, and in this case we owe him a swift and strong rebuke, for his own good.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

Temper your passions. ;)

Anger can be tempered, as can disgust.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
There isn't a huge income disparity in Swedish lodges in comparison to American ones. Swedish Rite tends to be more elitist (there used to be a formal system in place where you could have pseudo-Masons who were sworn to secrecy but not actually Masons for the purposes of having servants in the lodge). At the same time, while they are more elite and secretive in Sweden they are also massively wealthy, they own a huge old palace not too far from Gamla Stan (just one block towards the water from T-Centralen if I remember correctly).

They're genuinely awesome guys though. :)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

I don't think York Rite requires you to be a Christian, but they do ask you to swear to defend Christianity.

Take that to mean whatever you'd like, I guess.

More specifically, Commandery does.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

EtchaSketch posted:

Is it a rule that applies to having lived an entirely righteous life or is forgiveness allowed for past transgressions?

There's some grey area here based on whether or not you've been caught and formally charged and how much you tell people if not. The simple fact is if you were charged with something that may be enough in some jurisdictions to keep you out (for a few more years at least, if we're talking something that happened 20 years ago I think you could make a compelling case to the older members). If this is something behind you and you were never caught, I'm not sure if you should feel obligated to tell anyone (others may disagree). The point of Masonry is to make good men better, not to keep perfect men perfect.

Personally speaking, if this was something far behind you (even if you were charged with something) I wouldn't care. If this is something that ended six months ago then I'd probably care even if it was behind you now, simply because it'd be a bit too close to have fully escaped all the impacts of, if that makes sense. :)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I've met Brothers of all races at ordinary lodges all around the country and the world, and nobody has had a problem. As for getting in touch with them, I sent my local lodge an e-mail one day out of boredom. They all turned out to be awesome guys and I found out afterwords several people I'd known for huge chunks of my life had been Masons and I never knew it.

v:shobon:v

e. Very little money, I went greek a few years after becoming a Mason and yeah that was fuckoff expensive in comparison.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Which town? My mother lodge is in Bellingham.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Galaxy Pig posted:

The same goes for women I'm afraid. I think every man can agree upon the difficulty of achieving harmony with women. :D

Which is why lodges won't desegregate. Because lodges are literally an escape for married guys and that's the #1 reason for that rule at this point in history.

It's basically "Sorry honey, Ancient Landmarks dictate that tonight is hanging out with the guys."

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

We can all agree to call bullshit roses, but it still stinks.

I agree with Sub Bullshit, just because you feel you can change the definition doesn't make it so. Again, we're talking about changing the entire planet because some people want it when most Masons don't and there's a catch 22 that makes them not Masons if they try.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Commissar and I spent half an hour arguing the "Could Satan be a Mason" point and yeah he wasn't even born so nope.

e. Satan could likely be a French mason.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Lovable Luciferian posted:

I would turn it down if I was as tired as you described. He's the master of the lodge, not God.

Sayeth the Luciferian. :colbert:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

lord1234 posted:

I think even asking this type of question belies a minor prejudice. This is a question that doesn't even need answering. The way a person looks, whether it be by choice or by handicap, means NOTHING. This also brings to my mind that we must temper our passions which really boil down in many ways to prejudices about someone over something relatively miniscule. The color of their skin(in some places still very prevalent), sexual orientation, looks, all fall into this.

The guy who runs the Freemasons page on Facebook and I have shared many words, primarily after a couple of libertarian rants in the guise of Masonic stuff.

He's a bit of a bad face for the craft, to be honest.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

FreshFeesh posted:

It's no different than a member transferring from another US state or Canadian province, honestly. Each jurisdiction is managed/governed by/reports to/is chartered under a particular Grand Lodge (e.g. of California, Utah, Mexico, Spain, et cetera). Requesting a dual/plural membership may take a bit longer due to language barriers, but there shouldn't be any trouble provided the forms are all filled out and the respective Grand Lodges recognize each other as Masons (very, very, very rarely an issue).

There's also the issue in Scandinavia where there's a religious requirement to become a Mason. They have no problem with guests, but Masonry is viewed as a Christian organization.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

usernamen_01 posted:

Also, side question here: what are the rules on wearing your ring in public? I've heard mixed messages about this.

Wear it whenever you want as long as you're an MM.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I started wearing mine after I got my EA, but nobody in my district cared and I was specifically told it was okay.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

I went to a Third Degree in Kentucky once. Never again.

In Kentucky I believe the tagline you're looking for is "Not even once"

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Am I the only Mason in the history of the fraternity that finds degrees boring as hell at this point? :(

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

The combination of the letter, your MM certificate, and the usual ceremonies should be fine. Dues card checking is expedient but it's not necessary. However, be advised that a good few of our tokens and signs and passwords may differ from yours. Just give yours, and explain they're different if you must. When I traveled in Ireland I just had a letter of introduction from my grand lodge and when I was tested several due guards and sign were different, but they were similar enough and the Tyler fortunately new they would be different.

I showed up to the Grand Lodge of Ireland with a dues card and was good to go. v:shobon:v

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Do we have any Victoria, B.C. Masons in this thread? My wife and I are moving there soon and I'd love to meet some brothers there. :)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Carbolic posted:

So do any Masons actually want women to be able to join?

I think 7thBatallion said he did on the Washington Grand Lodge facebook page. :)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

SimonChris posted:

the English Emulation ritual

I have no idea what this is.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Keep in mind this bit is secret in a whole bunch of jurisdictions.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

MB13 posted:

I don't know of any ritual system that requires nudity.

Shrine, but that's incidental to consumption.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Carbolic posted:

Can you explain what social good is done by Masonry that could not be done equally or better by an organization that was exactly identical except for admitting women?

Allowing old married guys to spend one night a week/fortnight/month away from their wives.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

lord1234 posted:

I'm a young married guy, and know many young unmarried and old unmarried guys who are Masons. I firmly dispute that part of your statement, and resent it.

I'm a young married Mason. :ssh:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Carbolic posted:

Am I correct from reading the OP that Masonic lodges do not take political stances on issues, and thus would have no particular position on same-sex rights or same-sex marriage (or Obamacare, or immigration reform, or whatever)?

This is correct, and I find on the whole older Masons are actually far more accepting than the general population for their age group. I've met plenty of older guys who view homosexuality as kind of icky because that's how they grew up but at the same time take a pretty hard line "what you do in your own home is your business, and if a faith wants to marry you they should be allowed to."

I think it's a product of more openly gay masons and an increasing number of non-Christians in lodges, older members have an obligation to be respectful and if you've got a guy you're calling a Brother who is gay and it turns out that the VoSL on the altar doesn't catch fire when he's near it then maybe these gay folks aren't so bad after all. Plus Masons in general are kind of forced to confront other faiths than their own to a degree and I think that might take a bit of the hellfire out of some people. Basically the influx of younger Masons is causing a lot of guys in the WWII to Korean War generation to suddenly have an openly gay friend they never (knowingly) would have had before, and that does alter people's perceptions in a positive way.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

lord1234 posted:

sorry i resented the "old married" part....i'm only one of those things...

If you're young and married you probably don't need quite the same excuse to get out of the house and away from your wife as the guys in their 70s. Just saying.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

7thBatallion posted:

It is the duty of all Masons to help their fellow Brothers. While the family may not be masons, we should all consider them our extended family. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3544799&pagenumber=1&perpage=40.

Lets see what we can do.

Came here to post this after I saw your post on Facebook. This is a Good Idea™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'll most likely be in that part of the world fairly soon. :)