Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I once was advised by a brother to send my resume to another brother who worked in a hiring capacity for a major telecom. I did not. Probably a blunder on my part, honestly.

I did have the impression that said brother respected that my intentions were not mercenary or it wouldn't have been offered, but still it just felt too much like something I wouldn't respect myself for if my career did end up based upon being preferentially hired for something over someone more qualified because I am a Mason.

Some advice and suggesting a possible client is one thing. The insinuation of "this guy who has never met you will give you a job because I told him to" though didn't sit well with me. But maybe I'm super naive and should have jumped at the opportunity. It isn't like I've had many others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I would really like to visit the nearest TO lodge eventually, but yeah they dress to the nines like that. Also white gloves?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Some of my other esoteric interests and pursuits cause me to brush up against people doing Memphis Misraim masonry sometimes. I was even given a charter actually, since my closet needed some wallpaper. But mostly I do keep a tight lip about plenty of things with them. And I have completely also met people that immediately had a chip on their shoulder towards me because I'm a regular mason.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Well from the description it is a unity of the four Scottish rite jurisdictions in the US. News to me there are four, I just knew North and South, but then I'm not a Scottish Rite mason.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Actually apparently that is what the Scottish Rite thing is about? It's unity with Prince Hall SR!

Which should put pressure on hold out states.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Tennessee was briefly unrecognized by some states when they kicked a guy out for getting gay married.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Congrats to North Carolina for being the first jurisdiction (I think?) to elect an openly gay Grand Master.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Apparently it was a contentious and difficult election even though he had been in the grand line the usual years. So I'll say I expect the people making it difficult had an idea.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The Illuminati lost to the Strict Observance at the Convent of Wilhelmsbad in 1782 and I for one will never let them live it down.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hey want to see someone try to bring charges against the Grand Junor Warden Elect of Texas just before he is installed? Because you can!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpATBQWBrJ8&t=2050s

Outgoing Grand Master Most Worshipful Brad Billings shuts the poo poo down with an epic multipronged point of order!

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Here are UGLE's relevant positions:

Gender Reassignment Policy https://www.pglwilts.org.uk/media/files/1533399313ugle-gender-reassignment-policy-1.pdf
Gender and Gender Reassignment FAQs – Lodges https://www.pglwilts.org.uk/media/files/1533399446ugle-gender-reassignment-faqs-2018.pdf

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

And is that suspicion based on anything other than a prejudiced attitude?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I very much think UGLE is getting it right, even if they are doing so in reaction to anti-discrimination legislation.

We are obligated not to make women masons. We aren't obligated not to make masons women.

I would also point out the time for questioning and examining a candidate is before they move through the degrees, not after. It seems that she answered all the required questions in all the required ways if she received all the degrees. You shouldn't then impugn her character without excessive proof. In fact in some versions of the obligation one should tend to their own obligation to defend a brother's honor.

And it seems pretty likely to me that her honor is under attack just because she is trans. After all her very existence is sparking drama and a fight just the same no matter no matter when she stopped considering herself a man.

Let's put it this way: if we presume that she entered the fraternity honestly, never lied about her self perception (and again, one might say we are required to give a fellow Master Mason the benefit of the doubt on this), perhaps even joined this masculine society in a last ditched attempt to salvage a struggling gender identity?, but then only after becoming a Master Mason submitted to her gender dysphoria and determined to transition.

Can you not say that the woman I have described would have generated the same reaction in your jurisdiction? The same accusations? I'm sure she would have, and worse, where I live.

So in my opinion, lacking direct statements of the woman in question, I would think it is unmasonic to impugn her character, or even to further investigate unless she has herself made statements to the effect that she did in fact lie about her gender identity or motivation to join.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah you can Google Third Degree Tracing Board to see it in a context.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

There is a very old term called swarming to be mentioned. Traditionally the thing young discontented brothers are supposed to do is splinter.

I have the impression that it's much harder to stand up a new lodge these days, which means it has been more likely the young and the restless end up bouncing off.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I actually haven't personally attended lodge since before the pandemic myself, but I'm lucky to be part of a small close-knit online study group of Masons studying old Masonic texts. Has everything from people like me that never did anything beyond reciting my third degree catechism all the way to published authors and former GMs.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Bargearse posted:

It turned out it was way less of a big deal than I thought, my beliefs wavering between vague agnosticism and deism aren’t a problem
But it should be a big deal, imo.

OG 1700's masonry mentioned Deists in the same breath as Atheists.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'll go against what others are saying here and say that the requirement is having a positive belief in a supreme architect. You don't. You fail the membership requirement. You shouldn't join until and unless that changes.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Following up on the previous discussion in thread in regards to UGLE and trans people, congratulations to Vivian Beckford who was installed in Musket, Pipe & Drum Lodge in the Province of Derbyshire. So far as I know she is the first woman to be Master of a regular lodge? The post says "leader of the Lodge" which really makes me wonder if they are shying away from "Master" as being gendered?

https://www.facebook.com/DerbysCraftPGL/posts/pfbid0t5QcYq1ZKBzewDYaa9Pfu4maEqf8K6vzUSx9sPNiuCHqV9M5hoMSFmKoboPzknjel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm presuming they have been deleting unkind comments. That post has certainly been shared in many other places where they aren't being deleted.