Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Can we just stop having the women / athiest debate? Freemasonry is a fraternal society with certain rules, these include no women and no atheists allowed. Every Mason takes an oath to uphold these rules. If these rules do not appeal to you, don't sign up! Simple as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Just a tip for the new guys. Be careful when riding the REDACTED. drat thing took a bite out of my new suit! :(

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Colonial Air Force posted:

Your birthday suit?

Nothing more than a nasty bruise thank God. Lucky it didn't break the skin. I don't know how I could have told the doctor and still kept my oaths.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Orillion posted:

What i can't seem to understand is why regulars and irregulars are so incompatible

There's plenty of organizations that promote good values and morals, and many of them use traditions, rituals, and allegory, but they're not Freemasonry. Freemasonry requires all applicants to be male and believe in a Higher Power. If you don't want to join such an organization, no one is forcing you to. One of the first bits of the initiation ritual is that you're joining on your own initiative. If you don't like what you see here, then we wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose to do.

Edit: If you want a more practical answer, it's to deal with the problems of:

1) How does one establish a world-wide network of brotherhood without a central governing authority?
2) How does one enforce a standard of uniformity and tradition without a central governing authority?
3) How does one protect Freemasonry against those who would use its name for unscrupulous profit?

Basically each F&AM / AF&AM Grand Lodge has voluntary contractual agreements with every other F&AM / AF&AM Grand Lodge, allowing their members to visit each others lodges, participate in ceremonies, etc. This is called "regularity", and part of the requirements to establish regularity between lodges is that they all abide by the same basic rules. Every lodge literally has a list of all the lodges that it is in regularity with. Any Grand Lodge that breaks these Masonic rules by affiliating with an "irregular" lodge, is declared irregular itself and automatically shunned from the World-Wide Masonic community.

There have, and still are, many organizations claiming to be masonry that are basically for-profit scams designed to make a lot of money for their organizers via membership dues. And these laws of regularity basically keep Freemasonry from being infiltrated by outsiders.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 28, 2012

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Snowy posted:

It's time for me to pony up another $312 for my annual dues.

But the sting to my wallet will be lessened by the fact that I have found a good friend who has been interested in masonry and is going to come to our next table lodge! He's going to love it! :getin:

drat man, how swank is your lodge? We pay $50 per year, and even going up to $100 will raise hell.

In other news, I got elected Junior Steward last week, and I finally learned to tie a bow tie today!

Edit: In response to the old-white-men stereotype, this years officers consist of Asian, Hispanic, Italian, Persian, and Greeks. The oldest is probably in his mid-40's, and most are in their mid-20 to early 30's.

Edit 2: American Masons take an oath to obey the Constitution. If a Brother were in trouble with the law, I'd advise him to go peacefully, keep his mouth shut, and offer to find a lawyer and notify his family and friends on his behalf.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 23, 2013

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Very Nice Eraser posted:

On a different subject, earlier in this thread a few people posted that no man has the authority to change the underpinnings of Masonic tradition: men only, no atheists, etc. That argument makes sense in religion because there's typically a belief in a supernatural power that establishes the rules of the universe, but how does that work in the lodge? In other words, since the traditions aren't backed by fear of spiritual repercussions, do you foresee a day when they'll adjust to appease modern sentiments on equality?

A single Grand Lodge is welcome to change the rules however it wants. However, you run into the problem of regularity with the other Grand Lodges. Consider:

1) How does one establish a world-wide network of brotherhood without a central governing authority?
2) How does one enforce a standard of uniformity and tradition without a central governing authority?
3) How does one protect Freemasonry against those who would use its name for unscrupulous profit?

Basically each F&AM / AF&AM Grand Lodge has voluntary contractual agreements with every other F&AM / AF&AM Grand Lodge, allowing their members to visit each others lodges, participate in ceremonies, etc. A Master Mason raised in a California Lodge is recognized as a Master Mason in Mexico and can receive the benefits of membership no matter where he travels because of these agreements. This is called "regularity", and part of the requirements to establish regularity between lodges is that they all abide by the same basic rules. Every lodge literally has a list of all the lodges that it is in regularity with. Any Grand Lodge that breaks these Masonic rules by affiliating with an "irregular" lodge, is declared irregular itself and automatically shunned from the World-Wide Masonic community. Basically peer-pressure institutionalized on a world-wide scale.

There have, and still are, many organizations claiming to be masonry that are basically for-profit scams designed to make a lot of money for their organizers via membership dues. And these laws of regularity basically keep Freemasonry from being infiltrated by outsiders.

Edit: I mention Grand Lodges because a Grand Lodge is responsible for ensuring a uniform set of procedures and regulations within its own jurisdiction. There can be some slight differences in policy and wording of ceremonies between Grand Lodges, but those are fairly minor and definitely do not impinge upon any of the fundamental values of Freemasonry.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 23, 2013

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
And practically speaking, part of the ritual involves being tied up, blind folded, and paraded around the room half naked. Not in a weird fetishy manner or anything, but could be problematic for a female candidate.

We'd also have to replace the goat with a ewe, and we have enough trouble feeding and taking care of one already.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 23, 2013

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

qraham posted:

I've always been curious about the freemasons; my great-grandfather was a mason in England during the great depression, and my grandmother always said that they basically survived off the charity of his... brothers? In a certain sense I'd be interested in investigating my local lodge if only to reignite that tradition in my family.

But if I'm being completely honest, the thing that is most intriguing is the idea that being a mason might help my career in some way; I've heard stories of people getting jobs or promotions because they did the right handshake with the right person. Can you guys speak to this at all?

Freemasonry is not a charity nor is it a networking group, and that wouldn't be a good idea.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Colonial Air Force posted:

That's pretty firmly "clothed" (or "clad" depending on the verbiage) in my opinion.

Hear hear! Let's see some boobies!

Yeah in case this hasn't been made clear, the ritual involves nudity, but only looking, no touching! There is a very important symbolic reason for every element of this ritual so it's not just glorified hazing.

Besides, what would a woman do with the g-?

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 10, 2013

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Keep in mind this bit is secret in a whole bunch of jurisdictions.

Better?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
As was explained, the punishments are metaphorical not literal. So if we can't find a beach close by, I'm sure a lake or rock quarry will make do.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Sockington posted:

Mine is coming up at the end of the month as well. Looking forward to my turn with the goat.

Take a shower before hand and make sure you're wearing clean underwear.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Shower before and wear clean underwear too.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
The only secret secret is the exact wording of the you know what and the secret password and handshake.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Just a FYI, during your initiation you're going to be asked something along the lines of "So who do you trust the most?". A simple one-word answer will suffice, it's not the appropriate time to expound the greatness of whatever sky god you happen believe in.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Don't wear a tuxedo to a funeral.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

She's pretty sure the freemasons are a cover for the knights templars who are the ones who really worship baal/sell drugs/ have sex with children.

Our secret is out! With haste brothers! Assemble at the you-know-where!

Edit: Don't forget to bring you-know-who and the you-know-what!

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 15, 2015

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
As a junior one of your responsibilities is feeding / grooming / taking care of the lodge [REDACTED]. There's an opportunity to advance into veterinarian apprentice for those with aptitude.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
The key point is during your initiation ceremony, you are required to take an oath upon a Volume of Sacred Law to a Supreme Being to not divulge any of the secret passwords, signs, or handshakes of Freemasonry. This oath has to be to a “Supreme Being” not just on your word and honor. If you can, in your heart, truly say “I do”, then we’re all good!

Edit: Regarding disability - Freemasonry is not a charity and won’t accept people who are joining for the purpose of receiving aid. Otherwise as long as you’re financially stable, you’ll be welcome. The ceremony itself involves walking, kneeling, using both hands, and you can’t bring any metal objects like a cane.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 22, 2023