Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!

legendaryRev posted:

I guess that my question then pertains to the other people in office, what we would call Grand Master of Ceremonies(the person who most of the time deals with pledges, new membership, and ritual in general), the Grand Procurator, who deals with enforcement of the rules, and punishments, which most organizations would refer to as a Vice President, and a Grand Master, who is the main driving force of the chapter, or lodge, much as a president would. While I understand that secretaries and treasurers hold a certain amount of influence through their positions, what about the most high positions? is there much turnover from year to year, or is it primarily driven by a select few?

It all depends on the lodge to be honest. I would say that most lodges you will find several officers that have been in their seat for a very long time, usually the treasurer, and secretary (especially the secretary). Also, depending upon how many members you have and how willing they are to take on a leadership role within the lodge, you will often find other positions filled by the same person for multiple years and in some cases individuals that have held it in the past will come back and fill it due to a lack of new blood.

As far as influence goes, yes, these members that are often called upon to serve as officers or have served as officers in a particular position for a great deal of time have a bit more clout. The lodge is still controlled by it's members, and every candidate for office (besides a few WM appointed seats) is voted upon by the members.

In my lodge, the secretary, assistant secretary, organist, chaplain, treasurer and lodge education officer were all fairly static. In my Commandery, the secretary, treasurer and the lower officers were also fairly static before my group came through. Sometimes these static seats breed corruption, like what I saw with my Commandery and to a lesser extent my blue lodge, but other times everything works out well and you have a great group of guys.

I served two terms as Commander (back to back) which is largely due to the size of the Knights Templar. Surprisingly, my blue lodge which was the largest in the state with over 2,000 members on the roster also often had the WM serving consecutive terms.

Straithate fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

I joined when I was 19. A lot of my family were members but they weren't active, in fact, when I joined was when my most of them actually started going back to lodge. It was totally a worthwhile thing to do when I was that age but results my vary and like anyone else that asks in this thread you should spend some time checking into all of the lodges in your area to see if you get along with the members before petitioning.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

QPZIL posted:

I know the Commandery is focused on the Jesus story, and have a requirement of being a Christian to join, but is it worth going through just the Chapter and Council?

If you have the means, both SR and YR have some very beautiful ritual work.

Commandery really has some of the most powerful work in Masonry and most people say that the Order of the Temple is more beautiful/impressive than anything else they have experienced (33rd included). You also do not have to be a Christian to join Commandery, but in the final order you will be asked to swear to defend the Christian religion -- however, this can be seen as allegorical rather than literal. I know several Jewish Sir Knights and members of several other religions so take that as you will. I was Commander for two terms and I most certainly am not a Christian and I feel like I really did get a lot out of it.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

QPZIL posted:

Well, from what I've been reading, some people/jurisdictions consider the Mark Master degree to be the true final degree of the Blue Lodge

All of the degrees in Chapter are similar to what you are used to, however there are usually quite a few props used and even entire sets. They are all really cool and I enjoyed them more than Council but less than Commandery.

In many jurisdictions incoming WM must receive the Past Master's degree which you too will experience (however the PM's degree is usually put on by people that aren't even in YR and I generally hear it is terrible compared to what a YR Chapter will confer.)

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

There is no religious requirement to join, just that you must believe in a creator, which you do... You will not be blackballed or anything else for not being a member of a major religion. Good luck!

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

You can also get in on a one day class that some states have once a year, you will get every degree in a single day but obviously you lose something by going that route.

Like everyone else has said, the amount of time it takes is going to vary lodge to lodge. If you are able to memorize things really well, you could honestly get it done within 3 months at my lodge (sometimes less due to 9999999 meetings per month).

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

You are a loving mad man. You'll definitely enjoy it but...

Order of the Temple alone can take over 4 hours if they do the full thing. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM, I'm a past Commander.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Darn you, now I sort of want to go through the York and SR degrees. Though with the oath in commandery I don't think I could do those degrees in good conscience.

Question York Rite brothers, could I do the degrees up to commandery and not progress or is that some sort of faux pas?

Like QPZIL has said, you definitely do not need to join Commandery to be in York Rite and a good portion never does. During the Order of the Temple you are asked to defend the Christian religion along with several other things (destitute widows, and orphans). The OoT ritual is meant to represent the path which a historic Knight Templar would have to take to become a member of the order. Just like the penalties of our obligations in blue lodge, this oath isn't literal and it shouldn't be taken as such.

What I would say, however, is that there are quite a few biblical references (eg. Jesus, the crucifixion, Judas etc.) so the entire thing may be uncomfortable for that reason. If you want to talk about it further feel free to PM me and I'll be more candid. With that said I know of many Sir Knights that are not Christian and I am far from it myself, yet I am a twice past Commander.

Straithate fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 8, 2013

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

You can join any shrine that you want. I have long been a member of a shrine outside of my region just because I don't know anyone in the one near me.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

QPZIL posted:

Man, I can't wait to piece together a KT uniform, and then... not wear it for a long time :smith:. But GAH it's so cool looking. Eh, anyway.

That's probably for the best because they are insanely expensive. A new uniform will run over $1k, just the chapeau and sword alone would be over $700. Most Commanderies have an armory though, so if you are interested, many can provide you with a uniform from that. However, you generally do not wear a uniform unless you are an officer and honestly you don't want to... you will sweat your rear end off and be half dead by the end of any meeting. You have no idea how much pain the officers are in after putting on an OoT. :emo:

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah eBay can be a good place to get most of the pieces for really cheap, unfortunately, a lot will be falling apart. My dad bought his chapeau from some guy on eBay and everywhere he went there were a million ostrich feathers on the floor or stuck to people. Also, most Commanderies will pay for you to get a uniform if you are Junior Warden and above.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

I think there are probably two camps when it comes to why someone is against the one day class. The first camp are those members that feel individuals going through a one day class aren't receiving the full experience of becoming a Mason. I would agree with that sentiment, however, I would suggest that they consider helping these new brethren by getting them involved in the ritual and memory work (if they are interested). The second camp are those members that feel that people join via a one day class to get their dues card and never show up again or are doing it just to join the Shrine or SR. I would also agree that sometimes this is the case. Even so, I cannot count the number of times that I have seen someone progress via the traditional route and the second that they have their dues card, they never show up again.

The biggest issue (as I see it) with the one day class is the lack of one on one attention that many of these new brethren receive. If they are not made to feel welcome at their lodge by the officers and members, it stands to reason that many of them will never come back. A lodge should take interest in them immediately (maybe even more so than traditional candidates) and see what they can do to get them coming back to lodge on a regular basis. Perhaps they are extremely interested in learning the ritual after they see it in a one day class, but have no idea who to ask, or are afraid to approach someone. Maybe they would be interested in being an exemplar, or going through the ritual a second time but odds are they would have no idea that this is even a possibility.

I became a Freemason during a one day class when I was 19. The current WM of my lodge took an interest in me and offered to teach me the EA proficiency and lecture, which I was very interested in learning and I took him up on it. Through that interest I also got into the officer line and progressed up to SD in two years. I highly doubt that I would've become as involved as I did if he didn't take some interest in me.

Long story short, take an interest in members of a one day class and try to get them involved. If you are a member yourself or you are considering joining the non-traditional way, your experience is largely what you make it, so if they don't seek you out... seek them out.

Straithate fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 18, 2013

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Glorified Scrivener posted:

in general older candidates and brothers seem to really dislike to the proficiency process, while the younger ones enjoy it and seek it out.

It can be really difficult for older adults to memorize something new and when you first start off, everything is very intimidating to boot. On top of those two factors, they also have to learn how to read the cipher and then in some jurisdictions they don't even use one... Not to mention but, being out of an environment such as school for a very long time seems to further diminish ones ability to memorize.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

7thBatallion posted:

New question. What part can I play in the funeral process as an EAM?

Likely the same part that every other person will play. You will wear an apron, say a prayer and drop a follower on the coffin. Just ask the head of the funeral committee or an officer.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

QPZIL posted:

I've been asked to be a Knight at the triangular table during the Order of the Temple.

That's a fun job, I'm surprised that your Commandery even has a dedicated team to handle these positions... at our inspections people would just come from the sidelines and fill in.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Perhaps a penguin posted:

I'm really happy this thread exists. I've been thinking about joining the craft ever since I was of age (now 22), and this thread is only nudging me farther in that direction. What planted the seed of that idea in my mind was when I found out about my grandfather's degree of involvement with the Masons as well as many other Masonic organizations. He rose to the 32nd degree in the Scottish Rite, and was a member of the Shrine as well as the Tall Cedars of Lebanon. I think he may have also been involved in the York Rite, because I remember seeing something about the Knights of Malta (?) in his papers and Masonic stuff. I may have tried on a fez of his.
What impressed me so much about the man was his work, his passion, and his character. He was one of the most friendly, tolerant, and trustworthy people I have ever met. I can only say the same for the few other people I know who are Masons.
The general impression I get from you guys is that the craft has helped cement the foundation of your character, grow morally, and that you wish you had joined earlier. Would you consider it better to join young, and would I learn more from the craft by doing so?

I joined when I was 19 and I am very glad that I made that decision. You would have to judge for yourself whether or not it is something that you would like to spend your time doing and whether or not you enjoy hanging out with (generally) a bunch of older people. You can benefit from joining younger. If you are interested in becoming an officer, memory work is going to probably come a lot easier, you probably also have a lot more time to concentrate on it... Other members will take an interest in you and be very helpful... this list goes on and on.

7thBatallion posted:

When I was initiated, I was told that I was to wear my Apron, my symbol of purity throughout a honorable life until the day I pass from this realm to that house, not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. Is there any reason whatsoever I cannot wear it there?

I'll echo what others have said. I would also add that most bylaws state that you are not to wear your apron (or other regalia [rings and lapel pins excluded]) at any function that is not officially sanctioned, so if this is not a Masonic funeral where a Masonic service has been requested, no, it would not be appropriate to wear.

Straithate fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 3, 2013

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

stubblyhead posted:

I don't know a whole lot about them either. Their meetings are in the same room we meet in at the local Shrine/SR complex though, and they occasionally don't leave thing the way they found them afterwards. I don't know what their ritual is like, but they have chairs all over the place draped with I don't know how many yards of the fancy stuff from the fabric store with the shiny metallic fibers woven in.

I don't know who met before one of our meetings, but glitter was everywhere!

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Before petitioning did you visit other lodges in your area? If you didn't, I would do that before you go through the degrees as you might find a lodge where you don't feel strange being at a meeting.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

I don't see a reason why you couldn't mention it to friends, family or co-workers. You just need to understand that you are an EA and that you don't know much and the people you are talking to know even less.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

I would first ask the WM to see if anyone was ever assigned to help you learn your EA proficiency. If you find out that no one ever was, I would then find out why and if the answer is "we forgot" find another lodge ASAP.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Find out when the Masonic service will take place and get there a little early. You will be given an apron and a sprig of acacia and then you will follow the leader, pretty easy. If you are an officer or were a friend of the passed brother, it may be a bit more involved, but it doesn't sound like that is going to be the case.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Two of my favorites are Born In Blood and A Pilgrim's Path by John J. Robinson. Born in Blood gives an alternate founding story for Freemasonry which I found very interesting and A Pilgrim's Path covers more recent events such as the anti-Masonic movement and some suggestions for the future.

Both are very well written and engaging, whether you are a brother or not.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

It sounds like there are a lot of things going on at your lodge that you do not approve of, and maybe that sentiment would be held by others? Perhaps you could try and talk to a district deputy and see what their opinion about these things is. I will say that even if something is going on that isn't by the books, even if you get someone higher up involved, nothing will likely change.

I've had Recorders and other officers literally stealing from the lodge and cooking the books and when provided evidence, even the GM didn't do poo poo. My opinion in cases where you are unhappy with your lodge or appendant body is to just demit and find yourself another that is made up of people that aren't assholes. Even if you do get rid of the cancer that is already there, some others are usually already infected and just lying in wait.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Durette posted:

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I don't know that going straight to the boss is a good idea, but I'll bring it up to a coworker who might have a better go at it.

This is most of the midwest. The small town, predominantly Catholic & Lutheran, secret society hating midwest.

I think a lot of it has to do with Progressive Era and distrust of most things east coast that came from that. The whole "secret" concept coupled with the love of large ornate buildings just doesn't play too well. Why wear an apron and memorize a bunch of baloney to put on a pancake supper? It just isn't very small town midwest.

This is also the same area of the country that wasn't too keen on the mormons at about the same time, so I think it was kind of a big tent violent mob mentality, not single issue voters.

I've lived in the midwest (Ohio) my entire life, and for a part of it in the town where Jospeh Smith and his wife were tarred and feathered and I've never come across anti-Masonic sentiments like you are talking about. Never once has anyone even mentioned Masonry at all in a workplace or institution I have been at and whenever I would say anything, most people had absolutely no clue who we even are. It is quite interesting that you have seen the exact opposite. What state are you in?

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

LingcodKilla posted:

Either that's local or we are being naughty or I'm a big fibber. Does beer and wine count?

Here in Ohio it is 100% prohibited. That doesn't stop us from going out to the bar after, though!

Kind of silly considering the establishments Freemasonry was founded in.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Were the guys on the sidelines also wearing tuxedos? The vast majority of the time only officers are required to wear them, and that is a rarity these days it seems.

You may have found a lodge that is a bit more formal though, odds are someone knows where you can get a deal. I was told most of the big chain stores sell them for < $200 total -- that was like 10 years ago though.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

I have mentioned this every time the subject has come up, but here in Ohio I know of two trans women that are members of a lodge and have held office.

I personally believe that if you enjoy the craft and are getting something out of it, Sub Rosa, you should stay if you are allowed.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Dues vary so much lodge to lodge it is really hard to say what anything will cost. My lodge's dues were $70 a year, and some of my appendant bodies were free due to some crazy things we did with the books.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

SylvainMustach posted:

Thanks a lot! Seeing as this is my first time in any sort of leadership role, I'm curious as to if any of you who are past masters (if any of you are) have any tips on leading a Masonic group, boosting attendance or anything like that?

I realize the size of cryptic masonry is smaller than your average blue lodge (here in PA it's especially small since you can jump straight from the Royal Arch to Commandery), but any kind of leadership tips would be appreciated.

Boosting attendance is always going to be difficult, especially in any York Rite body (Council and Commandery in particular) but the best thing you can try to do is really foster a fun environment and have good food or drinks. You can also try and have some sort of fun nights, either out in the community at a restaurant or at the lodge where you involve families.

You might also want to start a call chain where your officers break down your member list and call everyone prior to a meeting and let them know what is going on and personally invite them to a meeting, this will bring in a lot of people that have been absent but the key is addressing the reasons why they haven't been there. Some of them are just too busy or uninterested in Council, but some of them just didn't like the officers for the past couple of years or what you guys were doing.

Don't make every meeting all about boring business, seriously, get someone to make tasty food or buy something for every meeting. If you have any other questions about being an officer in York Rite I was Commander for 2 years and might have some other tips.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

Practical question: how do you memorise ritual?
Mnemonics? Small slabs at a time? Record and listen back? Automotive negative reinforcement?
I'm looking for some ways to help myself and other younger members...

Repetition. When you are on the toilet, read over the cypher and look away and try to recite a line or two from memory. As you start to remember a line word for word, move on to the next one. Memorize in sections but always start from the beginning of the lecture a few times each time you practice. Eventually it will just flow. Working with someone else is probably one of the best ways to learn. Get someone that knows the ritual and just meet with them once a week and it will just click. Don't forget to bullshit and have a good time, that is also key.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

I appreciate the responses re: memorisation.
I think I might have identified a major difference in the way we do our ritual.
In my neck of the woods EVERYTHING is typed out and in a small hardcover book. The only times that the words are omitted is in the case of certain words and small phrases and descriptions. Even so, the first letter of said missing words are revealed (ie jrgnsn_tjf balanced carefully on his toes = j... b... c... on his t....).

I have only seen a cipher used in the mark degree....

Or am I on the wrong track here??!!

It depends on the body. My Commandery took the orders and tactics manuals and combine them into one binder in plain text... That was nice.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Unless there has been some GL ruling for Ohio I don't think the DVDs are a requirement. I've actually only ever seen them used during a one day class where the lecture was being given to 40-50 people.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

It has been a long time since I was involved in any investigating committee stuff but I'm not even sure applicants are even asked about anything but felonies - at least here in Ohio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

My understanding is that if you do Commandery you don't have to be christian per se, but you will have to pledge to defend the christian faith. Might be off on that one though.

This is exactly how it is presented in the ritual and how most people interpret it. I have know many members of varying faiths, I myself am not Christian... one of my officers when I was EC was Jewish - so it certainly varies.

Not to say that I haven’t also met others that do interpret it differently and wouldn’t join because they are not Christian.