Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Received and set up my LG 47LM8600. Plays well with my apple tv and mac mini. Probably wont use the smart functions or 3D so I probably should have got a dumb TV. Looks good though.

No coax TV service. Welcome to the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

For what it's worth about plasma "brightness", it's all relative.

My ST50 is brighter than my Samsung LCD from 2007 and even that was plenty bright for my well lit living room.

A new LED backlight TV can get blindingly bright, but what the hell is the use when you end up turning the brightness down past 50% after you calibrate it?

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
So my wife and I settled on a Vizio M420SL (42" 120hz LED), but I've had an odd problem. Everything looks fine until if I am using an app to watch Netflix or something, but as soon as I run a signal through HDMI or component a dark area will appear on the screen that is roughly the size of the input panel on the back. It will go away if we turn off the tv and turn it back on, but as soon as you try to use one of the inputs that spot will appear again. Is this common? Is something in the input not shielded well? Do I need better cables, or to take this back and exchange it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Is this thing just idiotic to buy?

http://www.amazon.com/LE48FHDF3300ZTA-48-Inch-2-Year-Limited-Warranty/dp/B007EM7NES/ref=sr_1_3?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1356997614&sr=1-3

400 bucks and it claims hell of refresh rate, etc, whereas I look at ~600 name brand panels and they seem to have lesser features. Such as this one. http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-47LS4500-47-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B0096FB9K0/ref=sr_1_4?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1356998017&sr=1-4

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
48" panel from the moon

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Pez posted:

So my wife and I settled on a Vizio M420SL (42" 120hz LED), but I've had an odd problem. Everything looks fine until if I am using an app to watch Netflix or something, but as soon as I run a signal through HDMI or component a dark area will appear on the screen that is roughly the size of the input panel on the back. It will go away if we turn off the tv and turn it back on, but as soon as you try to use one of the inputs that spot will appear again. Is this common? Is something in the input not shielded well? Do I need better cables, or to take this back and exchange it?

Honestly I'd exchange it before dicking around with it. Obviously that shouldn't happen.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

drat, look how thick that TV is... :stare:

3.8 inches? My plasma is only 2.25".

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
That Playstation TV doesn't really offer anything over my current ghetto Dell monitor setup except 3D, which I don't even want (I have poo poo depth perception and can't really see 3D at all).

I've spent some hours poking around AVSForums and some other sites and found a few 32" TVs I'm now considering:

Panasonic VIERA TC-L32E5 - Seems to be pretty decent. Input lag isn't as good as the previous IPS-Alpha model, though, but those models seem to be impossible to find now and ridiculously expensive. Don't see too many complaints about it, aside from people talking about a lower contrast ratio than other TVs, but that's to be expected with an IPS display (and I'm using an IPS Dell monitor at the moment anyway and I don't have a problem with the contrast on that, so I doubt it'll be an issue). No panel lottery bullshit, either, apparently. Price is about $460 at Amazon, right in the budget I was aiming for. I'm kind of leaning towards this one, personally, but I'd love to hear from anyone who's had one.

LG 32LM6200 - Also seems to be a decent LG TV with few complaints. However, it's more expensive ($550 right now on Amazon) and has 3D and Internet features I really don't care about. Looked into the current cheaper bare-bones 1080p LG model too (the 32CS560), but it apparently suffers horribly from judder with <120Hz input sources. Most sources say the 32LM6200 is an IPS panel, but I can't find any definitive information on whether there's any panel lottery issues (LG's site says nothing about panel type, which is worrisome).

Samsung UN32EH5000 - Always heard good things about Samsung, mostly, and this model seems decent, but it's apparently panel lottery hell. Was fairly cheap on Amazon earlier today, but now it's back up to the same price range as the Panasonic, so I'm not sure it's a great choice.

Any opinions on these? Doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of selection in 32" 1080P models; these were about all I could find in the ~$500-or-less range that weren't terrible off-brands (and there really isn't much in the higher price ranges other than a fully-loaded Samsung "Smart TV" model or two, either).

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a 32" 1080p Vizio TV in the bedroom, and I don't have any complaints. It was like $300.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Vizio's are solid TVs for their price, and when we had a goonmeet last winter at this one guy's place, RB3 said his TV's lag was only a frame and-a-half. (~25ms)

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Hah, I was checking out the Vizio E3D320VX on Amazon because it was under $350 and in the five minutes I spent looking at it, the price went up $120. Oh, Amazon... :cripes:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

dennyk posted:

Hah, I was checking out the Vizio E3D320VX on Amazon because it was under $350 and in the five minutes I spent looking at it, the price went up $120. Oh, Amazon... :cripes:

Amazon doesn't sell the tv, its sold through 3rd party merchants.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I got mine at Target, for reference. It has Smart features that work well enough. Hulu, Netflix, Vudu all worked fine for us. We bought it because we moved cross country and our stuff took a month to show up.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
Between my dad and I we have now spent ~10hrs trying to set-various aspects of our new HD system and Im most stuck on the Harmony remote. I would like to punch the nerd at Cnet.com who said you absolutely must have one of these and "they are very easy to set up". Worst thought out software ever - an absolute amateur clusterfuck. Example and tutorial screens are wrong (antenna is never an input option despite it being shown in the diagram), the online interface is completely different from the downloadable one ( the online interface has a Antenna/Cable in input buried in its settings but the downloadable one doesn't), the presets the SW tries to associate with your device are completely wrong, labeling is confusing or wrong (Input and Channel 3 are completely different Harmony) etc. etc.

Also, we got a Panasonic P50 and then a matching Panasonic Blue-ray player because the we needed wifi and wouldn't mind Blue-ray (good move not including wifi out of the box on a "smartTV"Panasonic) and despite Netflix being built into both devices and integrated into the remote - the Netflix user login screen is semi broken. The onscreen cursor is invisible when entering text (for you username and password) so you can't see what letter/symbol you are selecting. Cue 30 minutes of me blindly counting tiles to enter my user info while my family stare at me and mutter about returning everything.

At this point I'm just trying to get the Harmony to turn on the TV, cable box, and sound-bar.

False fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 2, 2013

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I am in the market for a new TV! I currently have a 10 year old 28 inch CRT, so anything will be a step up. The space the TV has to occupy will take a maximum of a 32 inch TV, and we sit 5 feet away, so we only need 720p, however we might be moving somewhere larger in 2014 so I was thinking 1080p would be a worthwhile investment.

Our budget is £350 max, and we will then be getting a Freesat HD+ box for another £150 ish(does anyone know if the new freeview boxes are worth it?).

We want: 32 inch, Full HD 1080p, value for money
We don't mind: LED/LCD/Plasma makes little difference to my eye, everything is a massive improvement on our CRT. SMART, Brand, lag, freeview included (plugging it into a freesat box anyway)
We don't want: 3D (my parents have it and I hate it, doesn't click for either of us. Also we don't watch 3d at cinema)

Basically we want a decent 32 inch panel that isn't going to crap out on us, to hook up to a Freesat HD PVR box.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

CancerCakes posted:

and we sit 5 feet away, so we only need 720p, however we might be moving somewhere larger in 2014 so I was thinking 1080p would be a worthwhile investment.

This sentence doesn't make sense to me. A larger house isn't going to make 1080p worthwhile on a 32" tv.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

This sentence doesn't make sense to me. A larger house isn't going to make 1080p worthwhile on a 32" tv.

Whoops thats true! So should I go for 720p? The "HD ready" sets tend to be a bit cheaper. The furthest away we sit is 5 feet, one end of the sofa is closer, I was thinking that HD ready was just a bad idea. We aren't completely strapped for cash so I thought going for full HD would be worth it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

CancerCakes posted:

Whoops thats true! So should I go for 720p? The "HD ready" sets tend to be a bit cheaper. The furthest away we sit is 5 feet, one end of the sofa is closer, I was thinking that HD ready was just a bad idea. We aren't completely strapped for cash so I thought going for full HD would be worth it.

HD ready just means its an HDTV. 720p or 1080p has nothing to do with it. Its really an antiquated term at this point.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

HD ready just means its an HDTV. 720p or 1080p has nothing to do with it. Its really an antiquated term at this point.

Thanks, its just that everywhere I have looked HD ready = 720p, full HD = 1080.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-32bv502b-hd-ready-32-lcd-tv-12311839-pdt.html
vs
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-32bv702b-full-hd-32-lcd-tv-12311794-pdt.html

In the OLD thread OP I found this:
"For screens below 45” consider a 720p display with high contrast and deep blacks over a 1080p display with lower contrast ratio. With the picture controls properly adjusted, you will be seen a wonderful sharp detailed high definition image that looks better that the 1080p model and costs less."

So I will probably just go to the shop tonight, have a look at the TVs and see what I like.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Make sure you note what the native resolution is for the TV. Ignore the marketing terminology because it can be misleading or straight up lying. Some will convert the input resolutions to different ones, the important thing is the native resolution for the set.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Samsung_Boasts_An_Unprecedented_New_TV_Shape_For_CES_Unveiling/10828

Guess what Samsung. Content is in 16:9, we don't need an "Unprecedented new TV shape."

How about you plunge R&D into making side lit LED TVs that don't suffer from flashlighting, clouding, and other uniformity problems instead of gimmicks?

I fear 2013 is going to be the year of the gimmick TV and we are going to see very little real advancement in image quality.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Samsung's "Unprecedented new TV shape" :haw::

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Anyone want to explain to me why this might be as cheap as it is?

http://tinyurl.com/bexcggu

55" Slim LED/LCD, 120 Hz Tru Motion, 1080p, $850, made by LG

This seems like a steal for what you get.

It's a dumbTV, but I have an ATV3 and PS3 to attach to this.

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 2, 2013

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Anybody have experience testing out the fake Kinect gesture controls for the newest flagship Samsung? Is it really worth all that money? It looks like a great TV otherwise, but thats going to be a hard sell for the wife even though she understands its time to get something nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN60ES8000-60-Inch-1080p-Silver/dp/B0074FGTJA

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tonight I decided to get with the times and start using some of the features on my TV (Samsung 46UN8000 - it's a few years old). For a trial I connected my Amazon account and was going to start watching the latest season of Burn Notice. However, when the first episode started, by all appearances there some bullshit motion interpolation going on. Which is rather odd, as I have that feature turned off. I've checked with everything else I can (cable, blurays, dvds) and this only happens when streaming stuff off of Amazon. Anyone know what's going on here?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question.

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

LaserWash posted:

It's a solid set, but there was some kind of manufacturing gently caress up with most of LG's 2012 "Tru Motion" TVs so a lot of them shipped without any way to enable "Tru Motion". Some of the more expensive ones were fixed with a firmware update but LG is playing dumb about the rest. The only entry and mid level LG TVs advertised as 120hz that actually seem to have it enabled are the CS570 and LS5700 models. If you don't care about 120hz I think it's still worth considering.

I noticed that Cnet savaged the LS4600 which is basically the same TV with an extra HDMI port. They were right to complain about the clouding but I've seen worse on more expensive sets. The rest of his complaints are kind of stupid when you realize he's comparing two very different types of LCD panels (IPS and VA) and whining that one doesn't behave like the other. Watching the video review is surreal because you can see the actual picture quality while the reviewer is making GBS threads all over it.

tl;dr: a decent TV with a few issues and also Cnet is dumb

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

samurai slowdown posted:

It's a solid set, but there was some kind of manufacturing gently caress up with most of LG's 2012 "Tru Motion" TVs so a lot of them shipped without any way to enable "Tru Motion". Some of the more expensive ones were fixed with a firmware update but LG is playing dumb about the rest. The only entry and mid level LG TVs advertised as 120hz that actually seem to have it enabled are the CS570 and LS5700 models. If you don't care about 120hz I think it's still worth considering.

I noticed that Cnet savaged the LS4600 which is basically the same TV with an extra HDMI port. They were right to complain about the clouding but I've seen worse on more expensive sets. The rest of his complaints are kind of stupid when you realize he's comparing two very different types of LCD panels (IPS and VA) and whining that one doesn't behave like the other. Watching the video review is surreal because you can see the actual picture quality while the reviewer is making GBS threads all over it.

tl;dr: a decent TV with a few issues and also Cnet is dumb

120hz and trumotion/motion interpolation are not the same thing.

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

Don Lapre posted:

120hz and trumotion/motion interpolation are not the same thing.

I know that, but I think you'll understand why I posted what I posted if you read this.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

LaserWash posted:

This is a much better tv in my opinion. local dimming and passive 3d
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M3D550KDE-55-inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B0096YOQE2

However lg has sexier bezels, and generally a nicer interface and remote.

edit: hmm guess it is $100 more. Well your call

quaker69 fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 3, 2013

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Looking at this:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408659/lg-trumotion-missing-specific-to-42lm-47lm-55lm-series-excludes-lm7600-and-newer

It appears that the problem has been fixed. I'm interested enough in this set to make a trip to best buy, ask to look at the settings in the menus and/or take a set home myself and see if the issue has been fixed. To the untrained eye (mine), this set seemed to have everything I wanted and also look (display wise) better than the other TVs that were sitting around it.

Here's part of the post this guy wrote on the OP. He seems to have spent a lot of time on this:

quote:

...Apparently, just before I called him back, he had received a communication from LG Korea who now officially acknowledge this problem with the first run of 47 & 55 LM series sets. It is classified as a "known issue" now.

The LG Rep had opened up a few factory fresh models from their warehouse this morning and confirmed the feature does exist on the batch shipping currently. They have a newer version of firmware installed which brings TruMotion control to the menu. Seeing as his findings at the warehouse were completely contradictory to my complaint, he then decided to drop by a retail store to investigate with a demo. There were no 55LM's on display, but there was a 47LM and after testing, it was confirmed undeniably this set did not have TruMotion.

Conclusion: It’s just a matter of time now until the first batch has TruMotion installed via software update. Not only did the gentleman who I spoke with know his stuff, but he gave deadlines and clear expectations of when we can expect an update – “By the end of May, if not sooner”. He suggested we keep checking as it could become available any day now.

In short, here are the highlights and specific details from the conversation:

1. If you buy a 47" or 55" with a May serial number the feature will exist. They come with a newer version of the firmware which includes the TruMotion settings.

2. If you have a TV older than late Apr/May (Mine has an early Apr serial number) a web released update will be available no later than the end of May.

3. There is no need to worry about hardware compatibility. The newest batch and first are hardware identical. The problem is simply a software oversight and resolved with the update.

The review CNET did was in November. So it can't be because the guy was reviewing the old firmware... or is it. I'm so confused. :suicide:

I don't want to disqualify this because of something that doesn't exist as a problem. I think the set looks great, but I don't want to pay for something that is being advertised as being there and isn't. :bang:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Its still 2 different things.

The real issue here is LG is selling 60hz tv with backlight scanning and claiming they are 120hz, instead of using a real 120hz panel. This has nothing to do with trumotion.

Now putting 120 or 240 on a tv box and using backlight scanning isn't new or unusual, but other companies wont call it 120hz, they would call it simulated 120hz, effective 120hz, or something like that.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Anyone have horror/success stories from using Amazon warehouse deals?

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

toplitzin posted:

Got my ST50 from the warehouse, great success.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

toplitzin posted:

Amazon warehouse is great. You have 30 day return and they pay shipping.

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

LaserWash posted:

Looking at this:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408659/lg-trumotion-missing-specific-to-42lm-47lm-55lm-series-excludes-lm7600-and-newer

It appears that the problem has been fixed. I'm interested enough in this set to make a trip to best buy, ask to look at the settings in the menus and/or take a set home myself and see if the issue has been fixed. To the untrained eye (mine), this set seemed to have everything I wanted and also look (display wise) better than the other TVs that were sitting around it.

Here's part of the post this guy wrote on the OP. He seems to have spent a lot of time on this:

The review CNET did was in November. So it can't be because the guy was reviewing the old firmware... or is it. I'm so confused. :suicide:

I don't want to disqualify this because of something that doesn't exist as a problem. I think the set looks great, but I don't want to pay for something that is being advertised as being there and isn't. :bang:

The issue was only fixed in some of the higher end LM series TVs. The LS4500 and the other models I listed in my earlier post do not have Trumotion in any way shape or form.

Don Lapre posted:

Its still 2 different things.

The real issue here is LG is selling 60hz tv with backlight scanning and claiming they are 120hz, instead of using a real 120hz panel. This has nothing to do with trumotion.

Now putting 120 or 240 on a tv box and using backlight scanning isn't new or unusual, but other companies wont call it 120hz, they would call it simulated 120hz, effective 120hz, or something like that.

You still don't understand. The TV model he's asking about along with three other models don't even have the motion interpolation advertised on the box because of a manufacturing gently caress up. I know the difference between actual 120hz refresh and the trumotion/motionflow/clearmotion bullshit but I am more concerned about making sure he understands that the TV he's asking about does not do either of them.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

samurai slowdown posted:

The issue was only fixed in some of the higher end LM series TVs. The LS4500 and the other models I listed in my earlier post do not have Trumotion in any way shape or form.

You still don't understand. The TV model he's asking about along with three other models don't even have the motion interpolation advertised on the box because of a manufacturing gently caress up. I know the difference between actual 120hz refresh and the trumotion/motionflow/clearmotion bullshit but I am more concerned about making sure he understands that the TV he's asking about does not do either of them.

See, by this statement

"The only entry and mid level LG TVs advertised as 120hz that actually seem to have it enabled are the CS570 and LS5700 models. If you don't care about 120hz I think it's still worth considering."

It sounds like you were saying 120hz isn't enabled, as apposed to the "The only entry and mid level LG TVs advertised as 120hz that actually seem to have tru motion enabled are the CS570 and LS5700 models.

Thats where i was confused. It sounded to me you were saying they were 120hz sets that didn't have 120hz enabled. My mistake.

Lots of people exchange 120hz and motion interpolation for one another.

geera
May 20, 2003
My wife and I recently moved in to a new house and would like to replace our 7 year old 42" 720p Samsung plasma (don't know the model number, sorry) with a 50" screen, probably LED. The plasma is getting kicked upstairs to my office. I really like the Samsung's screen, so I'd like to stick with that brand. Best Buy had UN50EH5000's on sale for like $750 a few days before Christmas and I'm kicking myself for not picking one up then since the price has gone up about $150. I'd like to spend $900 or less for our new TV -- is that model about the best Samsung I can get in that price range, or are there better options in that price range and size? Am I being dumb for only really looking at Samsung?

edit: I don't really care about 3D, and I have an ATV3 and Boxee Box so I don't really need my TV to be smart, either.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

geera posted:

My wife and I recently moved in to a new house and would like to replace our 7 year old 42" 720p Samsung plasma (don't know the model number, sorry) with a 50" screen, probably LED. The plasma is getting kicked upstairs to my office. I really like the Samsung's screen, so I'd like to stick with that brand. Best Buy had UN50EH5000's on sale for like $750 a few days before Christmas and I'm kicking myself for not picking one up then since the price has gone up about $150. I'd like to spend $900 or less for our new TV -- is that model about the best Samsung I can get in that price range, or are there better options in that price range and size? Am I being dumb for only really looking at Samsung?

Amazon warehouse has LIKE NEW for $775

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0078LSTRK/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Sears outlet has them openbox starting at $582

http://www.searsoutlet.com/d/product_details.jsp?pid=97973&mode=buyUsedOnly&sid=IDx20110411x000008&ci_sku=U99197973&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

geera
May 20, 2003
Thanks for the links, but I have a (probably irrational) aversion to open box/used TVs. I'm not really married to that particular model, I'm basically wondering if that's the best I could get in my price range from Samsung. I've also been looking at Vizio TVs on Amazon, mainly due to the price difference, but I don't know enough about Vizio as a brand to know how they stack up vs. Samsung. They're definitely cheaper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

Must..resist..

Only registered members can see post attachments!