Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

toplitzin posted:

Anyone have horror/success stories from using Amazon warehouse deals?

Got my ST50 from the warehouse, great success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

bakerious posted:

Modern plasmas really don't have a problem with burn in anymore. You can get some image retention (station logos, in game HUDs, etc.) but it is temporary and will go away with normal TV watching or by using the TV's built in screen wipe setting.

BTW, you just bought a really nice plasma, probably one of the best pictures you can get for the price. I'm picking up the new S60 version in a few days, you can get the 50" for $699 now.

My roommate burned the fox soccer logo into my st50...just saying.

I'm not butthurt about it but I'd probably not get plasma again...

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001
It will be reinforced until the premier league flips over to nbc sports next year, sigh. Then I'll have a peacock burned into my eyes, and Gus Johnson burned into my ears...

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

bull3964 posted:

It's possible. However, if you have a TV in mind now, I wouldn't wait to buy. Any sale will be starting Sunday the 26th, so you'll be within a price match window if the price drops for a sale and won't have to worry about stock supplies.

I should be snagging a KDL-55W900A tomorrow. Frys apparently has it for $1699 which is $300 under Best Buy's price. I should be able to get them to price match it.

Repair estimate on my $1600 55ST50 is $2100 after tax if it were possible to fix it. However, the panel is no longer available, so it can't be repaired.

Does everyone here buy warranties on their TVs [squaretrade on Amazon specifically]?

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I've traditionally had excellent luck with electronics so I tend not to purchase extended warranties. My American Express credit card automatically extends warranty coverage for a year past manufacturers warranty.

I usually find that if something doesn't break within two years, it's probably good for a long time.

Oh, so was this through Panasonic or AmEx? I only ask because I too bought an 55ST50 w/ my AmEx (~15mo. old).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Only caveat here is that it's a 2013 model so it might start disappearing from stores.

Did you ever get that warranty sorted with AmEx? My ST50 does have some slight discoloration on the right side of the panel, greenish tint. I'm just wondering if it's worth the effort to get someone out to look at it. Did you end up sending it out to get scrapped or what?