Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Holy crap, the Canadian Boxing Day "deals" suck. Still haven't found anything good < $500 in the 40"-50" range.

Here's a question, we are probably going to mount the tv on our brick wall over the fireplace. The seating will all be at a slight angle along the other walls. So should I be then looking for a plasma display since they have better viewing angles, or at the minimum, an IPS LED display?

I think what we need is the following:
Plasma TV
40-49"
Inputs must include VGA (PC)
Able to mount on the wall (bottom stand removable)

The Panasonic TC-P42UT50 looks like the best bet so far. I can find it for $699 on amazon.ca so maybe I can score a cheaper one on a sale. But that one doesn't have a VGA input. Alternatives?

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Ended up buying an LG 47LM8600 last night since newegg.ca had a deal on them for $999.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Received and set up my LG 47LM8600. Plays well with my apple tv and mac mini. Probably wont use the smart functions or 3D so I probably should have got a dumb TV. Looks good though.

No coax TV service. Welcome to the future.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Make sure you note what the native resolution is for the TV. Ignore the marketing terminology because it can be misleading or straight up lying. Some will convert the input resolutions to different ones, the important thing is the native resolution for the set.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Number_6 posted:

In looking at current HDTVs, I'm pretty horrified with how limited the inputs/outputs are compared to my 2005 Panasonic plasma. Granted the market is extremely price competitive, so maybe they don't feel as inclined to put a complete set of inputs/outputs on a $600 TV as they did on a $2000-3000 TV. But the following things are missing on most new models:

Should have at least two component inputs, many only have one
S-video input
Composite video input that is independent from either component input
Composite Video Out
Analog Audio Out

I know someone will tell me to stop using my array of lovely 1980s accessories with a 21st-century display, but I'd still like to be able to if the need arises.
Buy a used TV. Your list of legacy poo poo is too long for a new TV. Or buy a used receiver and hook it up to a new TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

xarph posted:

Is it safe to assume that no one makes TVs with s-video connectors any more? Time to buy an s-video->hdmi converter box and stop fighting progress?
Yes.

wikipedia posted:

The Atari 800 home computer featured S-Video outputs in 1979 (three years before the Commodore 64), via a five-pin DIN plug.
What do you even have that uses s-video?