Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have experience with RVU capable televisions? I heard the first generation of televisions was pretty slow to use the UI while watching over the network but recent faster processors may be better. Trying to get a critical mass of TVs capable so that I can put all the tuner boxes one location and TVs can just hook up via Ethernet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Costco has the Samsung 60" Plasma PN60F5350A for $750. I like its picture better than the Samsung 60" LED next to it. Currently have a 42" plasma in the room, is there any downside to this TV (input lag, etc)?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

terre packet posted:

What are the chances that some TVs will eventually have a built-in Twitch app like some currently have YouTube built-in right now?

Since Google bought Twitch this may just "happen" as an update to the YouTube app in the next 12 months.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Eh, that was a single news source with no other substantiation back in May. No other news was reported after that. Until I see some filing, it never happened.

Wow, I stand corrected. Thought it was a done deal. Thanks for the correction.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
A friend is asking about this Samsung 65" curved UltraHD TV: http://www.costco.com/Samsung-65%22-Class-%2864.5%22-Diag.%29-4K-Smart-Curved-LED-Ultra-HDTV-UN65HU7200FXZA.product.100129771.html

Is there any reason not to get that one or to get an LG equivalent like this one? I thought that curved was largely a gimmick from reading this thread.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's been another night where I've wanted to track down the lead developer of Android and have them pay for their sins.

Uncle Larry already tried this and failed :(

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Please confirm/deny my problem and fix. I have an OLED TV (LG 77" C1) that is one week old. Like haven't even taken all the plastic wrap off it.

I was gone most of this weekend but came home to a blindingly bright white vertical line (multiple pixels wide) that was almost (but not quite) in the dead center while the kids were watching. All inputs and the OSD. Wife unconnected everything and reconnected everything, ran a screen test and reset the TV, unplugged it for a few minutes, NONE of that changed anything. She watched TV the rest of the night with the thick white line.

Next day, after it had been off all night, the line was lighter. Wife unplugged it for half a day, when plugged in and turned back on it looked like a shadow. I looked now and the line is gone.

I was all worried about the display being hosed from manufacturing, but after these events here's our theory: some input got messed up and drew a vertical line across the screen, kids play video games for hours with it like this. Because it was blindingly white, it actually burned in temporarily. Once we re-set all the inputs and the aberration was gone, playing other things and dealing with it until I could call LG/Costco caused the affected pixels to exercise and eventually the burn-in went away.

I kind of understand how OLEDs work and this sounds plausible but wanted to hear the Internet say this makes sense before I chalk it up to burn-in and miss telling Costco to ship me a new one because the panel's hosed from manufacturing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks! I'll let it ride since it was probably a glitch from the receiver that seems to be on the outs. I have a 5 year warranty on the panel so we should have plenty of time for a shakedown.