Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Anyone want to explain to me why this might be as cheap as it is?

http://tinyurl.com/bexcggu

55" Slim LED/LCD, 120 Hz Tru Motion, 1080p, $850, made by LG

This seems like a steal for what you get.

It's a dumbTV, but I have an ATV3 and PS3 to attach to this.

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Looking at this:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408659/lg-trumotion-missing-specific-to-42lm-47lm-55lm-series-excludes-lm7600-and-newer

It appears that the problem has been fixed. I'm interested enough in this set to make a trip to best buy, ask to look at the settings in the menus and/or take a set home myself and see if the issue has been fixed. To the untrained eye (mine), this set seemed to have everything I wanted and also look (display wise) better than the other TVs that were sitting around it.

Here's part of the post this guy wrote on the OP. He seems to have spent a lot of time on this:

quote:

...Apparently, just before I called him back, he had received a communication from LG Korea who now officially acknowledge this problem with the first run of 47 & 55 LM series sets. It is classified as a "known issue" now.

The LG Rep had opened up a few factory fresh models from their warehouse this morning and confirmed the feature does exist on the batch shipping currently. They have a newer version of firmware installed which brings TruMotion control to the menu. Seeing as his findings at the warehouse were completely contradictory to my complaint, he then decided to drop by a retail store to investigate with a demo. There were no 55LM's on display, but there was a 47LM and after testing, it was confirmed undeniably this set did not have TruMotion.

Conclusion: It’s just a matter of time now until the first batch has TruMotion installed via software update. Not only did the gentleman who I spoke with know his stuff, but he gave deadlines and clear expectations of when we can expect an update – “By the end of May, if not sooner”. He suggested we keep checking as it could become available any day now.

In short, here are the highlights and specific details from the conversation:

1. If you buy a 47" or 55" with a May serial number the feature will exist. They come with a newer version of the firmware which includes the TruMotion settings.

2. If you have a TV older than late Apr/May (Mine has an early Apr serial number) a web released update will be available no later than the end of May.

3. There is no need to worry about hardware compatibility. The newest batch and first are hardware identical. The problem is simply a software oversight and resolved with the update.

The review CNET did was in November. So it can't be because the guy was reviewing the old firmware... or is it. I'm so confused. :suicide:

I don't want to disqualify this because of something that doesn't exist as a problem. I think the set looks great, but I don't want to pay for something that is being advertised as being there and isn't. :bang:

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
This is $1000 at Best Buy. What's wrong with this guy?

http://tinyurl.com/b98jxu6

Again, don't need 3d (it has it) or smart features. Super slim or slim doesn't matter as this goes on a fairly big wall.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I went ahead and bought this at Best Buy for $900.

http://tinyurl.com/byvsfch

Then I wake up this morning and WalMart has it on sale for $800. :woop: :woop: :woop: I guess that means I'll be headed to Best Buy for pricematch today, as this thing is on my wall or shall I say, IS my wall in our living room at me and my wife's house.

3D, True Motion 120 Hz, 1080p, Super slim, LED, 55" LG screen for $800? Is there some slavery in Korea going on that I need to know about? That's just insane.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Comfortador posted:

I'm looking for an opinion or three about the choice between this: (LG 55" Led/Lcd 3d (passive) 120hz model: 55LM4600)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+55%22+Class+-+LED+-+1080p+-+120Hz+-+3D+-+HDTV/7135343.p?id=1218831022736&skuId=7135343&st=LG

I bought this one and hung it in the living room about 2 weeks ago. Bought from Best Buy for $900, but got it down to $800 when I found it at WalMart for that price.

Observations:

- OMG! Really big screen even for a 1600 square foot house. I told my wife that after we put it up, I feared we might have to take it back because it was "too big." I'm just getting used to having something larger than the 37" Samsung that WAS on the wall in the living room (new bedroom TV).
- The thin bezel is really bad rear end, but there is a noticeable light bleeding from the edge when you don't have a source (i.e. the ATV, PS3, Cable box or whatever is off). Otherwise it doesn't seem to have any completely noticeable un-evenness or light bleeding (to my untrained eye) that makes it distracting to the me.
- I'm a Silver Premium member of Reward Zone at Best Buy, so I'm going to let this thing burn for 100-200 hours. Then I'm having someone in February come to calibrate it. They apparently do this for free for their Silver Premium members, assuming you bought the TV from them.
- I have an old Onkyo receiver that (as I learned) doesn't "pass" 3D. Consider that if you are going with 3D content and it passes through a receiver, that this receiver must "pass" 3D. It's not a huge problem for me, as I'll bypass the receiver whenever I feel it necessary to do 3D content.
- I'm not sure if other manufacturers have this feature, but LG does a method of making 2D content into 3D. We watched a 2D home improvement show on HGTV the other night in 3D... for about 5 minutes. That was enough of that. But if you are into the whole 3D thing, this might be of interest to you.
- 3D, 1080p, 55", LG IPS LED screen, 120 Hz for $800? Really?! No really. Have you looked at what the competition (Sony, Samsung, Panasonic) is charging for those specs (~$1300-2000). I feel like we did pretty well.

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 11, 2013

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Okay, this bothers me enough that I have to ask and am considering taking back my LG 55LM4600 that I purchased earlier in the month for what ended up being $800.

The TV has started to "blink" off and on while playing PS3 or cable TV for a period of about 1-2 seconds at a time. It usually happens every 15-45 minutes. The other day, the TV just flat shut off without a way of turning it back on (I KNOW that I didn't have the off button pushed on either remote). I had to climb up on the ladder, unplug the TV, and then replug it.

I've also had several instances where there were a line of about 10-15 pixels that got stuck. A restart of the TV has solved that problem.

The firmware is the latest that has been posted on LG's page.

Is this kind of behavior common in LED LCDs? I'm used to my old Samsung LCD that never had ANY problems.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Okay,

Got to thinking about the strange crap that the LG 55LM4600 that I bought was doing and there was really too much to ignore (flashing on and off, turning off randomly, stuck pixels, etc.). The people at Best Buy gave me kind of a strange look when I told them I wanted to return it because it's an LG after all, and they are known for being good screens.

I got to looking at the floor and reassessing where we were and decided to take this home instead. Samsung UN55EH6000FXZA, 55", LED LCD, 120 Hz (with 240 Hz TruMotion) :crossarms: , no Smart, no 3D, but I don't need that. The woman working on the floor said they were selling like hot cakes since they were on super sale. They had stack of 30-40 of them just sitting in a corner ready for people to take home... that's how fast they were selling, in a small town Best Buy. Also the old 37" LCD we have was a Samsung, we've had ZERO problems with it, and so now it feels like we're at home again, with Samsung on the wall.

http://alturl.com/3pyuf

The pick seems to be good instinct as the reviews are good on Amazon, BB.com, and other review sites. My wife and I are hooking it up to the wall tonight, so I'll post impressions later.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Now I'm responding to myself.

The Samsung I posted about this morning says it needs M8 400x400 screws to use for a mount. The screws that I have from my monoprice mount don't work (too small). Anyone have any idea what I should be asking for when I go to Lowe's/Home Depot today and I ask for "M8 400x400 VESA" screws? Is there any secret handshaking that is required?

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Picked up the Samsung 55" that's going for $900. I found a couple sites and customer reviews with calibration settings, but noticed none of them included having LED motion plus turned on. When would I want to turn that on, for video games and sports or something?

I bought the same TV after I returned my LG 55LM4600 that had crappy backlighting, stuck pixels, and randomly turned off. I haven't even seen a setting that turns this on or off. I have no idea if a "switch" for such a thing even exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

teknologik posted:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/55-120hz-led-3d-tv-1080p-4-hdmi/prod6450239.ip

I am thinking about getting that tv. Any useful comments someone can offer? It's 1100 at sams.

I took mine back and got a 55" samsung. I didn't like the glossy screen, the light bleeding on the sides, and the weird behavior like flashing on and off, stuck pixels, etc.

At the time I bought it, I was paying $800.

Edit: Oops, I thought you were looking at the 55LM 4600. This screen may be better than that (probably not).

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 25, 2013