Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Mister Macys posted:

Panasonic's and Samsung's upper-end plasmas (Sam's 6-Series and up, Pan's ST50 and up) have louvered filters, which help with bright light and reflections.
Also, everyone likes to focus on how plasmas have trouble with bright light due to needing glass, and forget the fact that 90% of LED televisions on the market (especially in the 50+ size range) have a glossy finish on them, so the difference in reflectiveness between them and the plasmas with filtered coating is pretty minimal. I ended up buying a LG 55LM7600 despite originally being set on a plasma because of similar concerns about my room having a lot of natural light. I still love my television, especially the great passive 3D. But having seen it in my house in the middle of the day and the Panasonic plasmas in the homes of others in similar conditions, I now realize it was a completely moot concern. You`re going to have to pull your blinds down either way if reflectiveness bothers you that much.

As Mister Macys states, if you go for the ST50 or above and the sunlight isn`t going to be coming in directly opposite to where your television is, the picture won`t be amazing in the middle of the day, but it won`t be terrible either, and it certainly will excel at all the other requirements you listed.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Turnquiet posted:

Bad news there is that I found out that many of my new BluRays don't have any DTS or Dolby tracks, and my receiver doesn't support DTS-MA or Dolby-HD. Ugh. I just dropped over 2.5 large remodeling the living room and classing it up with furniture and a bigger display, I don't want to have to buy a receiver too... but I will :(
Have you already tested it? Don't know your situation or how your reciever is setup, but for Dolby TrueHD at least most modern Bluray players will automatically convert the signal to 5.1 when going through optical, although you might have to change a setting on it, which is why they don't bother including the Dolby track seperately anymore. Not sure about DTS.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Aren't 99% of the actual displays themselves manufactured in the same 2-3 facilities for almost all the TV brands anyway?
Yeah, the reason Hisense and TCL are getting so much attention is because they are taking the panels they make for name brands and putting them in their own TVs, and since they don't have heavy marketing, they own the manufacturing themselves, and they don't have brand recognition, they are both made cheaper and are sold at much smaller profit margins. Quality control has also been improving as well.

As a result, shoppers on a budget who are afraid of cheap Chinese crap are ironically rejecting decent sets for cheap Chinese crap. (Name brands selling budget quality at crazy markups).

kuddles fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 2, 2020

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

The default settings on most TVs is with brightness and usually color saturation completely out of whack so that if it's put on display in a warehouse under florescent lights next to every other TV it looks impressive. It's usually the case you have to turn those settings down, especially if you are in a darker room.

That said, bias lighting can also help, and there are some really cheap and restrained options available.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Housh posted:

Anyone else burned by false advertising buying a Sony 900h? They just conceded on it supporting VRR and ALLM.
They did nothing of the sort.

yoohoo posted:

Does any of this stuff matter if I’m just a casual gamer? I have a PS4 right now and will probably upgrade to a PS5 in the next year or two.
Lol, no. Developers push for things being prettier as the generation goes on and the negative response to the first gameplay video for Halo Infinite pretty much confirmed for them that most gamers are not willing to take the graphical sacrifice required to get 4k@120 working. If the past is anything to go by, by the time this generation is over, the vast majority of releases on PS5 will be upscaled 1440p struggling to hit a stable 60.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

yoohoo posted:

So the only reason I ask is I have the X900 and my return window ends in 3 weeks. I’m not a serious gamer or anything so as long as my gaming experience on next gen consoles (again over a year away for me) isn’t going to be ruined I’m fine. 90% of my TV is watching movies.
It's definitely not going to be ruined, although if Sony never provides VRR it might make it feel a little annoying because most TVs from 2021 onwards will likely start having it.

I'm in the same boat but I'm keeping it. There's nothing I've seen in this price range at 75" that is equitable in what I like and in terms of picture quality other than the TCL 6 Series but the panel I got with the X900H is so good (slight dark corner in the upper left and very little DSE) that I don't want to go through that kind of gamble and hassle. And my TV room doesn't have the amount of natural light or reflections to justify the hassle of returning it nor the price increase to the X950H, especially for the Black Friday price I paid for this one.

And also because the 2.1 features were never a concern for me, even discounting that you should never trust a company making promises when it comes to software or future proofing. (Although I feel like it's too early to discount that, either. This was a big seller and Sony is still providing firmware updates to 3 year old televisions so not ruling anything out.)

That said, if it nags on you, go ahead and swap. When all is said and done, they still have failed to deliver features they said you would get so you're within your rights. I would just get store credit and wait if you can because the next time for deals will be right before the Superbowl.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Good news, after consumer complaints, Sony (re) added VRR to the X900H spec page.
It was never removed from the spec page. It was removed from a page talking about current feature support and as usual, the internet created QAnon-level speculation and outrage before even hearing an official clarification.