Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
They seemed to have locked themselves into only using stuff from the original trilogy time frame. While Destiny is anytime any place. So it's easier to sell people on it. Wanna play Darth Vader from the OT or prequel or play him as a good guy? All those options are available in Destiny.

Still this is the game that got me into LCGs and I'm going to miss it alot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

frgildan posted:

They seemed to have locked themselves into only using stuff from the original trilogy time frame. While Destiny is anytime any place. So it's easier to sell people on it. Wanna play Darth Vader from the OT or prequel or play him as a good guy? All those options are available in Destiny.

Still this is the game that got me into LCGs and I'm going to miss it alot.

As I recall they had to license the rights individually and at time just wanted to do original Trilogy. When Destiny came along they had more resources to spend on rights thanks to Asmodee and given how well the Minis game was doing.

I'd love to get into Destiny but it's just not worth it given that I want to buy everything for it. If it wasn't a collectible game I would have been all over it.

Also this game died when they hosed the distribution up at the start of the game and well into the first few cycles. It also suffered from coming after Netrunner that had proved to be hugely successful and already attracted a large fanbase. When Destiny came out later a lot of player groups just outright switched because it was clear that Destiny was going to get the love from that point on and the LCG was on borrowed time. I'm glad we got as many cycles as we did after Destiny dropped, really.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 10, 2018

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Welp. Make that the second complete dead LCG I've collected.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

PaybackJack posted:

Also this game died when they hosed the distribution up at the start of the game and well into the first few cycles.

This is exactly when it died in my area. We got down to about 15 active players in my entire state.

Objective sets were a tough sell for Netrunner players because they couldn't just pick every good card.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
My friend and I started playing again after a hiatus due to work picking up for both of us. I forgot how fun this game is.

We played a few games of Imperial Capital Ships/Fighters vs. Tri-Color Light Side pilots. She had overwhelming numbers most games and typically wiped out 2-3 of my objectives. Amusingly, despite a heavy pilot theme (with Leebo, Hobbie, Wes, Tycho, and Keyan), Hyperspace Marauder and a one-of My Ally is the Force did most of the work in my deck.

My light side deck won two out of three games, with the second two games getting screwed out of Rebel resources at the start but scraping by. They were some really fun match-ups!

We're picking up the rest of the packs we're missing (Galactic Ambitions, Endor Cycle, and Opposition Cycle) next week, and I'll likely grab the last of the Alliances cycle in the next month or so and have a complete set to tinker with.

I know the game is technically dead now as we're really diving in to it, but man is it so much fun doing kitchen table games with it.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 11, 2018

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
They released a new FAQ as well, possibly the last one we'll ever see as it covers an unreleased set, though the interaction it restricts isn't new.

Notably Tarkin v2 no longer makes enhancements fall off which is good except that we really needed that clarification during the pilot cycle but better late than never in this case.

The Jedi+Smuggler affiliation card also got added to the group of May the Force.. and Spark so it can't be used with those.

And in the "decks I completely missed building" section we have Brainiac and Luke's Skyhopper getting restricted. Wish I'd made that one, 4 uncontested damage a turn cycle sounds crazy. I knew Brainiac would have some crazy interaction when he first came out but I forgot about him.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

My friend and I started playing again after a hiatus due to work picking up for both of us. I forgot how fun this game is.

We played a few games of Imperial Capital Ships/Fighters vs. Tri-Color Light Side pilots. She had overwhelming numbers most games and typically wiped out 2-3 of my objectives. Amusingly, despite a heavy pilot theme (with Leebo, Hobbie, Wes, Tycho, and Keyan), Hyperspace Marauder and a one-of My Ally is the Force did most of the work in my deck.

My light side deck won two out of three games, with the second two games getting screwed out of Rebel resources at the start but scraping by. They were some really fun match-ups!

We're picking up the rest of the packs we're missing (Galactic Ambitions, Endor Cycle, and Opposition Cycle) next week, and I'll likely grab the last of the Alliances cycle in the next month or so and have a complete set to tinker with.

I know the game is technically dead now as we're really diving in to it, but man is it so much fun doing kitchen table games with it.

Capital Support is a really good set outside of Bombing Run being a terribly over-costed card(decent enough closer though). Although a lot of the Sith and Rebel stuff in Galactic Ambitions doesn't see play, Spark is obviously everywhere and the Navy pod; Entrenched Defense goes in almost every Navy deck I build.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 11, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Picked up the final Force Pack today. Sad to see releases for this game end, even sadder that there was never a local community I could attend for it.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

jivjov posted:

Picked up the final Force Pack today. Sad to see releases for this game end, even sadder that there was never a local community I could attend for it.

I picked up the last of what my friend and I needed last week. I still have lofty goals of creating a small local scene, which may be easier now with the ability to build a bunch of varied decks all at once and tell people, "you don't even have to buy new stuff--it's done!" :v:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

jivjov posted:

I had a local community for over half the game's lifespan (really until destiny came out)

it was definitely the best LCG they produced. sad to see it go.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

alg posted:

I had a local community for over half the game's lifespan (really until destiny came out)

it was definitely the best LCG they produced. sad to see it go.

I had fun the few times I drove up to play with you. Great game, a real shame they dropped the ball and never really recovered.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Carteret posted:

I had fun the few times I drove up to play with you. Great game, a real shame they dropped the ball and never really recovered.

A shithead from my store was named and shamed on a national podcast for being a horrible human being sometime before he was banned from my store :shobon:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Our last pack will come in next week hopefully. Definitely sad to see this game go as it was surprising great. It's a shame so many people wrote it off because you couldn't fine tune every card in your deck, but because of that I always found the decisions to be more interesting and a single pod could lead to meta shifts.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I'm gonna inventory my promos. We're also playing one last tournament in May where I should hopefully score some more promos. If anyone wants to trade or needs some promos we can do it in here.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Late to post this but Worlds ended with a cool matchup that saw Spark Ewoks go down to Mission Navy Emperor. Very cool match up and seeing DS get a win with a Sith and Navy combo is a fitting bookend to the whole LCG Saga.

Also you can get the "replacement" champion designed cards as a pdf that you can print. Hopefully they release that soon.

edit: In the meantime you can download the first fan cycle.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 8, 2018

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Has anyone gone and made a nice balanced set of 6 decks using the complete card pool yet? I Kind of want to make it a boardgame for when I wanna jump back in and play a game or 2.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I think the only faction that you couldn't balance would be mono-Rebel. They never quite got there despite getting some good cards at the end. Rebel Fighters/Pilots was probably their best deck, but that's really only because most decks get wiped to Desperation and even that fell out of favor post-nerf. Rebel Hoth would probably be their second strongest deck

If you didn't care about mono faction, you could probably pick and choose lists from the top 16 this year. No single deck was the clear OP and the field was pretty wide. Even the ever present "May the Force Be With You" showed up in just over 50% of the top 12 LS decks, it's worst showing since it's release. Spark was popular but is pretty beatable in the current environment. I'm shocked nobody gambled with a Rebel Hoth deck, but seeing how the finals played out, I'm not sure Speeders would have been much better there than Ewoks.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Working on putting together a Rebel Fighter deck for the first time, gotten this down so far:

Affiliation:
Rebel Alliance

Objective: (10)
2x The Defense of Yavin 4 (Core 8-1)
2x Called to Arms (Draw Their Fire 147-1)
2x Running the Trench (Attack Run 157-1)
2x Planning the Attack (Galactic Ambitions 225-1)
2x They’ll Never Stop Us (Swayed by the Dark Side 276-1)

It's kind of meant to be semi-thematic in that it will be going up against my friend's Navy Capital Ship deck. I was also looking for an excuse to use Running the Trench Luke.

Should I cut Planning the Attack and put more fighters in? Shift something else around?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Working on putting together a Rebel Fighter deck for the first time, gotten this down so far:

Affiliation:
Rebel Alliance

Objective: (10)
2x The Defense of Yavin 4 (Core 8-1)
2x Called to Arms (Draw Their Fire 147-1)
2x Running the Trench (Attack Run 157-1)
2x Planning the Attack (Galactic Ambitions 225-1)
2x They’ll Never Stop Us (Swayed by the Dark Side 276-1)

It's kind of meant to be semi-thematic in that it will be going up against my friend's Navy Capital Ship deck. I was also looking for an excuse to use Running the Trench Luke
Should I cut Planning the Attack and put more fighters in? Shift something else around?

Cut a Called to Arms and a Running the Trench for 2x Rogue Squadron Assault. You could also cut a Planning the Attack for 1x GA Wedge (A Legend Begins?)

You definitely want the card draw from RSA though, that's key to a pilot deck working.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

PaybackJack posted:

Cut a Called to Arms and a Running the Trench for 2x Rogue Squadron Assault. You could also cut a Planning the Attack for 1x GA Wedge (A Legend Begins?)

You definitely want the card draw from RSA though, that's key to a pilot deck working.

Cool, I was trying to work both Rogue Squadron Assault and A Legend Begins in, but couldn't figure it out.

Is it not worth doubling up on Called to Arms? It seems like everything in the set would do a ton of work, particularly the Gray Squadron Gunner and Y-Wing, as well as making a Desperation draw more likely.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Cool, I was trying to work both Rogue Squadron Assault and A Legend Begins in, but couldn't figure it out.

Is it not worth doubling up on Called to Arms? It seems like everything in the set would do a ton of work, particularly the Gray Squadron Gunner and Y-Wing, as well as making a Desperation draw more likely.

Yes, Desperation is very good but if you're going to make the deck built around it then build the deck around it. If you want a more ramp-style deck with Desperation as a back up, then run it as a 1-off. I don't mean this as an insult but if the theme is building a horde of enhanced units then dropping Desperation, that's totally viable. The rest of the set doesn't have resources, the other enhancement is fairly underwhelming, it sucks for edge icons, and most the time the pilot means a single gun on all but a few units(although being a 1-cost does help it a lot). The Y-wing is nice, but at 3 cost, it's probably going to be pitched to an edge battle in favor of fielding two 2-cost fighters. The objective itself seems amazing but I don't think I've ever actually triggered it.

Planning feels like you should run 2x to try and hit on in your opening objectives, and having another twist is always great, but in practice those three units are all pretty garbage. Dodonna can't use his reaction off a Yavin resource bringing him into play, so unless you can just drop him and take the force he's probably just going to have nothing to do the first turn you bring him out. The Planners are utter trash too because there's so many ways of just tossing a single damage around, nor do they have any synergy with anything else in the deck. I usually just toss in a single copy because hitting one in the opening objectives is nice, Dodo is at least a 3 for an edge battle, the enhancement is great, and a single twist makes your opponent think about every battle.

If you want to build a Desperation-bomb deck that will make your opponent curse not having enough enhancements try: 2x Attack Pattern Delta, 2x Rogue Squadron Assault, 1x Against All Odds, 1x Resourceful Survivors 2x Preparation for Battle and 2x Prepare for Evacuation.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

PaybackJack posted:

A lot of good stuff

Awesome! Thank you for the pointers and explanations, I appreciate it.

In goldfishing the first iteration of the deck, Dodonna and his set did kind of peter out pretty quickly, or cost me tempo, so I can see the wisdom in cutting that down to one. I suppose, too, that the extra card draw from RSA and maybe Dodonna would help get me through the deck more quickly anyway, if I was really desperately looking for... Desperation.

I'll give it all a go the next time my friend and I play!

• Locked thread