Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Oh man I want the third book so bad, but I totally understand Lynch taking an extended break to deal with clinical depression. Hey, at least the delay is not because of pizza and football, unlike certain authors who shall remain unnamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

boneration posted:

Your spoilers are what I like about the first book. I read it immediately after the two Patrick Rothfuss books, with the super handsome musical sex ninja magician who is the best in the world at everything he tries and never fails at anything ever, and watching Locke go through hell despite being good at what he does really washed the taste of those lovely books out of my mouth.

Been meaning to read the second book, but my wife tells me it's a pretty big letdown.

I don't know, the second book has a pretty slow chunk in the middle, but if you liked the first book I think you would still enjoy the second one overall.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
At this point its like ADWD for me, I'll believe it when I have the book in my hands....and read at least 3/4 of it. Thats not to say that Lynch's reasons for delays aren't 100 times more legitimate than George Pizza Football Martin's, but after so many passed publication dates its a bit hard to believe that this is it.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Pre-ordered ROT from Book Depository. I just hope that the shipping wont take more than 20 days after they release the book on the 10th, which would nullify the advantage of buying it from them as opposed to just buying it in Canada on the 29th when its released here.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

TerminalBlue posted:

Just finished the first book after picking it up completely on a whim. Loved the poo poo out of it and it's probably the first fantasy novel I've read and really enjoyed in years now. Can't wait to move onto the second and eventually third. Seems like these days most series seem to start well and then just disappoint the poo poo out of me, so I'm hoping that for once this won't be the case.

A lot of people didnt like the second book, but I think its only because the author tried to do something different, whereas many readers expected it to be more like the first in terms of structure. I honestly still liked it a lot.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Of course the preview ended on a cliffhanger, and the book wont even be shipped for another 4 days. ffffffffff :argh:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
So I just finished RoT and enjoyed it quite a bit. However, I have a major complaint: It seems that Lynch is moving away from the adventure/caper aspect of the books that made the first book so special, and closer to high-fantasy with all the usual tropes: protagonists having a mysterious magical past, mages slinging spells back and forth, some huge evil lurking in the background, etc.

Its not that those sorts of things cant make for a good book, but they are very commonplace on the market, and its a shame to see the Gentlemen Bastards books losing the aspect that made them stand out.

Ghetto Prince posted:

Oh, and there's a scene where Sabetha explains that she dyes her hair because red haired children get enslaved, castrated and raped to death as a cure for syphilis. What the gently caress did I just read.:psyboom:

And now consider that poo poo like this actually happens in real life as we speak and lose all faith in humanity.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 16, 2013

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Khizan posted:

Considering that Locke's always had a mysterious past and the Bondsmagi have been both spell-flinging Mages and the evil lurking in the shadows, I've got high hopes for it. If Locke learns that he's a Mage, I'll worry about it.

That stuff may have been there from the start, but only as flavoring to make the world more interesting. I really dislike it taking center-stage at the expense of the confidence games and capers, which were what made the first book so great.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Loving Life Partner posted:

It was clever, but just kind of deflating, *book2* after all the talk about the vault and its amazing properties, they glue the door shut, cut some paintings out of their frames and rappel down the side with hidden ropes. It was all telegraphed well, I guess I just want more of the impossible from Locke.

That was always the point of the books though. The "Thorn of Camorr" is a myth, and the reality of Locke and his crew is far more mundane. Yes, they are exceptional thieves, but their key trick is to awe their marks with an extraordinary-sounding scheme while they rob them. The more audacious the lie, the easier it is to sell.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Whalley posted:

It was loving pointless and the whole "OH BUT OF COURSE I WOULD NEVER BE WITH ANYBODY ELSE" line made me put the book down for a week. I was down with the romance all the way through Sabetha saying that what she loves about Locke is that he loves to tell the world to gently caress off, then it got awful. It's horrible writing that I thought Lynch would be better than, but gently caress. I loved the first two books. Like, loved. I can see how this book sets up a whole lot more, but I don't want what they're setting up.

Romance is definitely Lynch's biggest weakness in writing, but I think his other strengths make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Whalley posted:

Seriously, it was a loving weird thing and I thought her reaction was awesome, right up until Scott Lynch deemed it worldbuildingly appropriate that all redheads are potential victims of horrific rape and abuse. That's what made me get really mad at Book 3; not just the lovely romance, but the fact that Lynch thinks this is a DARK TWIST to add to a character and not a horrific loving thing that is also just straight up lousy shithead writing.

The world this is all set in, it's dark, but between the ANCIENT SPACE ALIENS, the culturally-appropriate and commonplace redhead rape, and Lamora's MYSTERIOUS PAST, it's like he wants to get rid of the amazing fun aspects (axe-wielding shark fighters, rad indestructible glass cities, legit interesting religions) to write Every Fantasy Book Ever and we've already got those books and they're awful.

The thing with world-building is that less is usually more. Its really fun to imagine the details of the world's back-story using the few nuggets of information the author provides as starting points. However, as a fantasy novel turns into a series, every author feels the need to expand on the back-story of his or her world, which takes away from what the reader imagines by locking it down to something more concrete. It might please some readers but for the majority their own imaginations will always outdo the author on details, because everyone imagines the most awesome thing for themselves. Its the same reason sex-scenes in books are pretty much always bad: its just a matter of every reader having their own idea of what is appropriate which rarely coincides with the authors opinion on the matter.

• Locked thread