Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Maud Moonshine posted:

I'm not personally convinced by this theory, for which there isn't really any more evidence than any other theory. Just because the syllables match isn't really proof. Even if his mother called him 'after your father' (which is a weird thing for even a disinterested mother to call her son), he'd still have a surname - either his mother's or his father's. And he explicitly said somewhere that his surname isn't Lamora. So what is it? Also, if he lied about his surname when he was three, why not the rest of his name?

I'm not saying he's royalty or a mage (I don't know where the grey king theory came from). I just think it is a plot thread that's been left at least ambiguous and I'd be curious to find out more.
And "wow I would choose that name over the other one as well" doesn't necessarily mean that his name is lauughable, it may instead carry some heavy connotations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I always assumed that bondsmages were bonded and under a pretty harsh thumb from whomever supervises/spies on them. To my mind, they are sort of like the undercover narc/informant in a drama film, the guy has extra special powers but eventually he pisses off the Lieutenant above him and suddenly ends up in the river.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Bastard.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't think this is a valid criticism (maybe I'm misunderstanding you?). You can't and shouldn't expect authors to make fantasy settings devoid of all evil or suffering, and it's not valid to criticize authors for simply including the existing of rape (even systematized rape) in their world.

I'll agree with you to the extent that authors shouldn't fetishize rape or include voyeuristic scenes and descriptions -- "rapey" is a pejorative for a reason, and it's a reason that's caused me to throw away several books unfinished (Ken Follett, looking at you). But It seems like you're criticizing Lynch for merely including systematic rape in his setting, but that's something that existed to one degree or another in all medieval societies (through feudal serfdom and/or slavery if nothing else).
I criticize it because it doesn't add anything to the story, creates a clumsy excuse to create another schism between Locke and the (let's face it, nearly totally unnecessary) romantic premise of Sabetha as a whole.

You could remove the romantic subplot entirely and it wouldn't hurt the book much at all. We got through two novels with nothing but a handful of pages setting her up as Locke's muse however, it might have been better overall if she'd stayed that way.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think because the thief maker exists we'd need at some point to broach the subject of child rape. Lynch's world is gritty and dark as hell, and we've got characters who ruthlessly exploit children, but sexual exploitation is never even mentioned. At some point that probably needs to be explained, to explain why it isn't happening or indicate how the characters dealt with it when it did, and now that we're in a book focusing on the adventures of female child thieves that's especially pressing.
That's definitely a valid point and it does add some darker tones to what's otherwise a fairly glossy version of medieval slumland however, there were not really any other mentions of this kind of thing going on, and having Sabetha immediately attack Locke with it because of a single line from when he was 5 years old, seems to come from way out of left field and feels like poor writing or a forced crisis.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Is there really a tvtrope for "critics beating a dead horse"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Riyria is pretty good and also a bit more consistent than the Locke Lamora series has been for me. tLoLL is head and shoulders above Riryia but they were alright. Riryia also has the advantage of having a couple prequel/novellas floating around, I think a couple were even for the low-low price of free..? I liked how they broke into that tower full of magic swords in the one book, caught me off-guard. And I liked the dwarf.

Also there's the Eli Monpress books however, it kind of went farther into chosen one/deus ex machina than I'd really wanted 0 suddenly errybody is all I AM SPACE JESUS and then problems solved. Felt like a Hamilton space opera without all the sexing of high school girls.

• Locked thread