Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincie
Oct 31, 2012
I finished Republic of Thieves a few days ago. It wasn't very good. Worse than Red Seas Under Red Skies by quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincie
Oct 31, 2012

uh zip zoom posted:

That's pretty interesting. Can you tell us more? I've heard that it's more of a romance than anything else, and I'm okay with that if that is the case.

Sure. I'll save specifics (unless asked to otherwise) until after the book comes out. I'm curious as to how other people will receive it, since I'm perhaps more critical than many when I read.

(I took a conservative stance and put spoiler tags on bits that are not specific but which might reveal too much regardless.)

I just looked up the blurb and it only describes half of the book. The narrative is split between two stories: the bondsmagi electioneering plot in Karthain (as described in the blurb), and then flashbacks that center on Sabetha's interactions with Locke as children that then segue into another plot that features all five of the Father Chains gang as teenagers. Chapters alternate between these two storylines.

I didn't care much for the flashback story. I suppose a lot of people will like it just to see the gang together again, but I grew increasingly bored and impatient with it, particularly in the latter half of the book. I can't get too much into my disappointment without resorting to spoilers, but when you have a dual narrative like this, especially with the alternating chapters, both stories need to be equally strong and play off each other in such a way that they continually increase tension and momentum. Unfortunately the flashback story is a total drag and I started skimming those parts toward the end.

Also, Karthain doesn't have much going for it as a setting. It's not memorable in the way that Camorr or parts of Tal Verrar were. Huge let down for me because that's one of the best things about both preceding novels.

Jean doesn't have much to do in this book.

The bondsmagi as a group aren't really an active part of the story. We only really get to see and experience them through the perspective and actions of one character.

And then there's Sabetha. The book focuses a lot on Locke's relationship with her, but it's all kind of a mess and at the end we're left with more questions and uncertainties, not just about them as a couple, but about Locke himself. I'm most curious as to how people will handle the revelations about Locke.

I have so much more to talk about! I hope a lot of people are willing to discuss the book once they're finished.

Vincie
Oct 31, 2012
You can read the first fifty pages here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/171465290/THE-REPUBLIC-OF-THIEVES-by-Scott-Lynch-50-Page-Fridays

Vincie
Oct 31, 2012
Just read the review on Pat's Fantasy Hotlist (never heard of that blog until it was mentioned here) and I agree with a lot of what he said, though the review itself is poorly written.

• Locked thread