Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Underwhelmed posted:

So, this game is running like total poo poo, as in the sound is distorted, and it is moving at a snails pace. Is there something I am missing here?

Looks like it just doesn't play nice with windows 7. Here is a How to Fix guide.

I am on win 7 64 bit and I haven't been getting this problem. There is a universal update separate from the installer that I applied. It should be in the same place where you got the installer. Maybe that fixed the problem or I am just lucky.

Edit: well poo poo. I am using a nvidia card here.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It didn't affect my desktop or my laptop either, both on W7 64, so I'm not sure what the common element is. Both are ATI cards?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

I am on win 7 64 bit and I haven't been getting this problem. There is a universal update separate from the installer that I applied. It should be in the same place where you got the installer. Maybe that fixed the problem or I am just lucky.

I used the patch and still got the problem. On an ATI card even. Luckily it's an easy fix.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I wish the second circle spells came faster. Throwing fireballs to beat a force 3x yours is rad.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

If you're getting stuttering problems close all your background programs particularly chrome and any antivirus programs - that fixed it 95% for me. I still get a bit of stuttering but it's perfectly playable.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

victrix posted:

It didn't affect my desktop or my laptop either, both on W7 64, so I'm not sure what the common element is. Both are ATI cards?

The "fix", is simply using a power profile to throttle the CPU down to 50%, so maybe the issue is isolated to faster CPUs? I'm not sure if the problem free people are all on older or newer systems. .

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've been SUPER addicted to this game. I want to love it so bad, I really do, but I"m getting frustrated. I've just started the last available shard in Campaign mode after losing every other shard but one and the tutorial.

How in the HELL am I supposed to fight off the enemy when they keep kamikaze attacking my capital. I feel like I'm not getting out played, just overwhelmed. I watch the enemy AI hero hop from province to province capturing stuff, no problem. Then I build up, have a bit ole army of swordsman/crossbow/legolas hero and the moment my foot steps out of my territory, I'm faced with no only over-night mega guards (which are really no problem), but he's beelined right for my capital! I go back, kill him, run out of money, go back out to explore new lands to get money, he attacks again..it's a pinball machine between my capital and money-making provinces.

On top of that, I get tired of getting slaughtered by an army of tier 1 slingers that never stop plinking. It's silly that I can't field an army bigger than 5-7 units, bu I'm facing off against heroes with 10 units?

So to make it easy, I"m just asking for some help here. What is a good way to start out without getting completely owned by tidal waves of heroes? How do I generate more gold to keep my army and hero equipped? I see the enemy running about with 3 heroes and armies enough to take provinces while I struggle to feed my people.

Otherwise I love the game. It is deep, its challenging, it's fun. I just want to figure out the correct pacing and what I could be doing wrong.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Jastiger posted:

I've been SUPER addicted to this game. I want to love it so bad, I really do, but I"m getting frustrated. I've just started the last available shard in Campaign mode after losing every other shard but one and the tutorial.

How in the HELL am I supposed to fight off the enemy when they keep kamikaze attacking my capital. I feel like I'm not getting out played, just overwhelmed. I watch the enemy AI hero hop from province to province capturing stuff, no problem. Then I build up, have a bit ole army of swordsman/crossbow/legolas hero and the moment my foot steps out of my territory, I'm faced with no only over-night mega guards (which are really no problem), but he's beelined right for my capital! I go back, kill him, run out of money, go back out to explore new lands to get money, he attacks again..it's a pinball machine between my capital and money-making provinces.

On top of that, I get tired of getting slaughtered by an army of tier 1 slingers that never stop plinking. It's silly that I can't field an army bigger than 5-7 units, bu I'm facing off against heroes with 10 units?

So to make it easy, I"m just asking for some help here. What is a good way to start out without getting completely owned by tidal waves of heroes? How do I generate more gold to keep my army and hero equipped? I see the enemy running about with 3 heroes and armies enough to take provinces while I struggle to feed my people.

Otherwise I love the game. It is deep, its challenging, it's fun. I just want to figure out the correct pacing and what I could be doing wrong.

Similar problem - after taking WAY WAY too long to beat the tutorial, I've lost every single shard due to hero rushes on my capital when I'm weakened from expanding :(. Is it bad that I lost two shards in a row? am i going ot permanently lose those unlocks? Should I restart the game?

Also, I'm hearing about alignment - will I regret using necromancy, bandits, etc? Is there a benefit to being 'good'? because like he said, evil units are cheap but I've been avoiding them fearing some sort of backlash.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 24, 2012

Irae
Nov 19, 2011
I have the stuttering sound / game issue myself, and pretty much all the suggestions I've read around the GoG and Snowbird forums worked in resolving it. Doing a quick recap:

1) Background programs: in my case the Steam client was the offender, closing it stopped ALMOST all stuttering, sporadically it would still tear a bit;

2) multiple instances of the game: opening a second Eador: Genesis instance instantly worked, the second one I opened and played was perfectly smooth. Some people report they need more than two open. I didn't need to keep doing that though, as the third fix (as listed before by Underwhelmed) worked;

3) limit CPU speed for fast computers: control panel, energy saving options, create a profile that halves (or worse, if you have a monster CPU) the top processor speed, and keep it active while you play the game. It's there for Vista and 7, can't remember if it's the same for XP or you need an external program to do so. This is the one I go for as it's the cleanest and fastest to toggle on and off.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Holy poo poo, after losing the the fourth shard in a row :downs:, I restarted. During the tutorial, there was an event while exploring about a pond in a creepy swamp without any animal life, with the options to pass by, throw a rock in, or set up camp for the night. I threw a rock in. "13 fiends emerge to attack!" VS my level like.. 5 archer with a few slingers. This game is mean, hah.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What should I be doing to learn this game correctly? I get the feeling it isn't the campaign. I've been doing 6 player Skilled games just getting my poo poo kicked in constantly, but after reading this thread I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing. My arch-nemesis is upkeep, as it was in every Total War game. For some reason I can never strike that balance, most likely due to a fundamental misunderstanding of the game mechanics.

I've been doing Scout and rushing to swordsman because they seemed like a solid unit to get. Then I just Explore Province and hope I RNG into a not-impossible encounter. Usually when I venture out I find extremely powerful poo poo in every direction which leads me to believe I should be grinding up a few levels in my home province. I run into two problems: all of this poo poo costs money and if I rush straight for it I don't have any left. This has a lot to do with how slow units heal after battles, my first instinct is to just buy new ones but that doesn't seem right does it?

P.S. What's up with some of those options on the screen where you set up a random CPU game? Where you can click off diplomacy, exploration and map settings? I can't find anywhere that says what these things do. Diplomacy is straightforward at least.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What should I be doing to learn this game correctly? I get the feeling it isn't the campaign. I've been doing 6 player Skilled games just getting my poo poo kicked in constantly, but after reading this thread I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing. My arch-nemesis is upkeep, as it was in every Total War game. For some reason I can never strike that balance, most likely due to a fundamental misunderstanding of the game mechanics.

I've been doing Scout and rushing to swordsman because they seemed like a solid unit to get. Then I just Explore Province and hope I RNG into a not-impossible encounter. Usually when I venture out I find extremely powerful poo poo in every direction which leads me to believe I should be grinding up a few levels in my home province. I run into two problems: all of this poo poo costs money and if I rush straight for it I don't have any left. This has a lot to do with how slow units heal after battles, my first instinct is to just buy new ones but that doesn't seem right does it?

I've been playing the campaign. I can beat campaign shards pretty easily on skilled, but not on competent so take any of my hints with a grain of salt. What I do is:

- Stick around exploring the starting province until you have a stack of decent troops (I prefer pikemen and archers / crossbows). Be patient, don't rush with sub-par troops until you're sure you can take whatever you're trying to. Have some kind of ranged troops with a few meat walls - archers, slingers or crossbows, they help a lot in softening stuff up. Crossbows are brutal, but expensive.

- Similarly, be patient with letting troops heal after they get beaten down. Having a healer in the group speeds this up a lot. Explore provinces while waiting. Rushing too fast gets you brutalized.

- Try to find provinces with either orcs (orcs and goblins are easy), simple militia with no / very few archers or undead first, I think those are the easiest.

- Build the first magic building and slap your hero full of either magic spark or fatigue, even if he's not a wizard. They help a lot. Fatigue is surprisignly useful in bringing down tougher troops.

- Based on the terrain, try to rush for money-generating buildings after you have your basic troop generators (mills for plains, mines for hills, sawmills for forests) when you have a few provinces. They only provide 5 gold / turn, but in the end having a bunch of them helps a lot with upkeep woes. I usually go for mills first (granary -> farmer's market is the route, I think).

- Don't be afraid to rewind time if you mess up! It's a damned excellent mechanic for learning the game, and I wish more games had it. It ruins your score if you use it a lot, but that doesn't seem to really matter, at least in the beginning.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'd add that you should look at the pace at which you are expanding.

You need to balance territory grabbing with development. If you rush out and capture a bunch of provinces too quickly, you're likely to have a bunch of terrain you can't fully exploit - not enough heroes to explore, not enough money to put up buildings or recruit guards to protect it, not enough tech and magic to keep happiness up.

It's ok to take it slow with a few provinces, each fight you complete boosts your hero, and often awards significant amounts of gold, or other useful things like items or (especially) new tech of various sorts, which can be anything from unique buildings to rare types of province guards.

Conversely, if you expand too slowly, you will get rolled over by the AI, but it's alright to fail a game or two until you learn that :P

You can also tell roughly how hard a province will be based on its race and 'type'. "Prince's Lands", for example, tend to be well defended, while normal human free settlements are often poorly defended. I find there's usually a bunch of provinces near me that can be conquered very early in the game, and a bunch of others that aren't worth tackling (or even possible) until later.

Also note that I'm playing random maps on Skilled, I haven't touched the campaign.

The exploration/diplo toggles let you turn those options off for random maps. No exploration just means the map is fully revealed. No diplo makes it fulltime war with everyone.

The early game is fairly slow I've found, but once your heroes gain a few levels, they get noticeably stronger, and even unlocking a single tier 2 troop type (or tier 2 magic) can be a big boost in your ability to tackle new armies.

Make use of the rewind function to learn what fights you can and can't tackle.

And pay attention to combat early in the game. You need to use every trick in your book to come out on top. Hills give defensive boosts and a range boost for ranged units, forests protect from ranged attacks, swamps give defensive penalties. Some units are better on the counter-attack than the attack, etc.

As far as the tier 1 units go, note that while the Pikemen/xbowmen etc are strong, they're wayyyyy more expensive both in recruiting and upkeep costs than the 'evil' units, so pay attention to that as well. If you're dumping all of your income into expensive troops and not getting maximum benefit out of them (winning a gold earning fight almost every turn), you'd be better off with cheaper troops.

Experiment with different mixes of tier 1 units and heroes.

Oh, and beeline for the healing magic building, you need that Heal spell, it makes early fights so much easier for all heroes.

It's hard, no question about that, rather refreshingly so, I'm used to steamrolling this sort of game :v:

victrix fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 24, 2012

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Cool game, there is a lot of stuff going on under the 'hood. Is there any use for the warrior guy? With the 1 zillion neutral encounters on every map (too many IMO, OP) like it seems you should start with Ranger probably build a magic hut and conquer goblin and barbarian and undead provinces with your starting army then develop an economy until you get good units then buy the commander as your hero and grind him up and steamroll. In theory :corrupt:

I guess I probably haven't seen like whatever the weapon/armor equivalent of a Tier 4 SPell or Unit is. In any case it seems like you should always take the Ranger first then see what cool stuff is around that another hero would make best use of, then do that.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Underwhelmed posted:

So, this game is running like total poo poo, as in the sound is distorted, and it is moving at a snails pace. Is there something I am missing here?

Looks like it just doesn't play nice with windows 7. Here is a How to Fix guide.

There's actually a much more easier way to do this without loving with power settings. Just go to Task Manager and right click the Eador process -> Set Affinity -> Uncheck all CPUs except 0 and 1.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
This is the most brutally difficult game I've ever played, and I'm doing early campaign on Skilled, and to my extreme chagrin i'm seriously considering restarting again on the easiest difficulty. At least I've moved from 'curbstomped instantly' to 'endless stalemate' - How do you all get past the constant guards the enemy has? Even my level 15~ scout with his line of swordsmen can't fight 9 brigands and 3 archers unscathed every single time, especially multiple turns in a row with a siege afterwards. If i try to whittle them down slowly he just rebuilds them instantly. Pushing too hard gets my heroes killed, which costs me tons of money and sets me back again.

Also, does anyone have any idea why I'm not getting any rare treasure? A rare bow I got in the tutorial made it pathetically easy, but I'm still using the hunter's bow from the stronghold carpentry shop at turn 140.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Good advice in the thread so far. I'm still trying to figure out the pacing. I expand, and do well for a while, then "A spy is nearby" and bam, 3 enemy heroes are on my doorstep quite interested in my hero leaving a province so they can attack. They will literally wait in the next province over for me to move my hero to go back and buy/repair/hire army and BAM a clash of enemies into my territory.

How do I get guards that don't immediately die? As soon as he steps foot in my territory he has like 6 bowmen that are all sniping my army. It's crazy hard.

What is a good build order? Should I be getting multiple heroes early?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is the remake going to be the same game basically just with updated graphics?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
The way I FINALLY won a campaign map (since it's early, only t1 units except from events/alliances, though independents still have plenty of t2s/t3s) was to start off with a scout, and grind him the gently caress up. A leveled up scout is the only way I can figure out how to defeat endless swarms of enemy heroes, as at this point i'm double-shotting for 20 damage each, so 40 damage a turn, killing most heroes in one turn and warriors in two. From there I can then kill the rest of his units one by one - all my units are simply to form a meatshield around me to give me enough time to oneshot everything.

My second hero is wizard, but with only tier 1 spells he just can't compete. Magic arrow is amazing early on, but it's still doing 11 damage to my archer's 40, and since i'm trying to go for the 'good' path through the game (apparently there are multiple endings/plots depending on your alignment?) I'm having to avoid the obviously powerful necromantic and chaos magic schools, so his entire spellbook is pretty much magic arrow x12, rain of stone (got it in a scroll), and one or two heals/buffs. He's still a good defender, since two scouts is unreasonably expensive, and magic arrow spam is a good way to assassinate heroes (even if you lose, they have to stop sieging/attacking to go resurrect) though possibly a commander might be better, but my problem with commanders is they just can't kick very much rear end by themselves and with only weak units to upgrade they just don't seem to DO much.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
To what extent is this a military game? That is, is the whole economic/rpg system dedicated to building armies for conquest, or are there viable ways to play the game based off domestic development and research-i.e., a builder type style in the Civ series?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

prometheusbound2 posted:

To what extent is this a military game? That is, is the whole economic/rpg system dedicated to building armies for conquest, or are there viable ways to play the game based off domestic development and research-i.e., a builder type style in the Civ series?

Still mostly military, think Heroes of Might and Magic. Provinces do need some management, however, more than many war games. The more they grow, the more money they give per turn, and the amount they grow is limited by how much you've explored it, which causes random events and encounters that can be resolved in various ways, often not involving combat if you want. Provinces can have small upgrades installed, depending on which upgrades you have in your capital (which serves as a tech tree in a way, - like a granary in the capital lets you build mills in plains provinces from then on) which can speed up population growth, reduce the chance for negative events, help defend against enemies/unrest, produce additional resources, and so on.

There's also unrest, which is sort of like the happiness stat for Civ, which raises/falls according to events, global spells, alignment conflict - if it's negative, it slowly fills up a rebellion meter (the lower the unrest, the faster) which when full will cause a neutral rebellion unit to spawn and attempt to defeat whatever defenses you have on that tile to take it back (most small provinces can only spawn an army of weakling peasants or goblins though, and your bigger provinces are usually happy). Unrest hasn't really been a problem for me, but I could imagine it being more relvant if you were the blood-sacrifices, demon summoning, necromancy, flog the peasants kind of guy.

In the end, though, you have to take down all of the other 'players' to win, and it is incredibly brutally difficult, heh.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Playing pure evil this time around and having a ball

Those dirt cheap starting evil units? They make excellent demon fodder :devil:

I went Scout first for Scouting + Diplomacy, allied with a nearby Orc tribe (by sacking my own provinces :haw:)

Apparently you're only permitted to ally with one foreign race per game, because I did the Lizardman alliance quest, and because I completed the Orcs first, they wouldn't ally with me (they did reward me with gems for my troubles though).

Interestingly, when I came back later to conquer them, I was able to do it with pure diplomacy. Basically 'surrender or die' and they said ok, we surrender. I'm not sure if that was due to a high Diplo skill or strength of army or what, but I'll take it.

There are some absolutely hilarious moustache twirling events if you are evil. I had a band of adventurers proudly bring me some captured dark magicians. I ordered them executed and freed the mages. They thanked me with a spell scroll. Then I tortured them. They gave up another scroll. Then I executed them. :devil:

I just got into my first major conflict with another kingdom, we'll see how it goes. I have all kinds of cool guards for my provinces, everything from undead to forestfolk to nomads to orcs and more. Province guards + a keep with a garrison is a nice sturdy defense, even moreso if you have a hero there.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

victrix posted:

Playing pure evil this time around and having a ball

Those dirt cheap starting evil units? They make excellent demon fodder :devil:

I went Scout first for Scouting + Diplomacy, allied with a nearby Orc tribe (by sacking my own provinces :haw:)

Apparently you're only permitted to ally with one foreign race per game, because I did the Lizardman alliance quest, and because I completed the Orcs first, they wouldn't ally with me (they did reward me with gems for my troubles though).

Interestingly, when I came back later to conquer them, I was able to do it with pure diplomacy. Basically 'surrender or die' and they said ok, we surrender. I'm not sure if that was due to a high Diplo skill or strength of army or what, but I'll take it.

There are some absolutely hilarious moustache twirling events if you are evil. I had a band of adventurers proudly bring me some captured dark magicians. I ordered them executed and freed the mages. They thanked me with a spell scroll. Then I tortured them. They gave up another scroll. Then I executed them. :devil:

I just got into my first major conflict with another kingdom, we'll see how it goes. I have all kinds of cool guards for my provinces, everything from undead to forestfolk to nomads to orcs and more. Province guards + a keep with a garrison is a nice sturdy defense, even moreso if you have a hero there.

Where are you getting all these guards? I'm always frusted by the computer being able to put bandit guards, bowmen, and rogue guards on every single provence, while I can either a. buy the militia building and be able to make almost usless guards, or b. upgrade the armory so I can add 'recruit' guards, which are hardly any better. I have to ration out my scant few adventurer contracts to guard my most precious provinces.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tons of money - you're probably screwing up the early game somewhere, but I don't know the tech paths in this game well enough yet to suggest how you can fix that :v:

Also I'm playing random maps, not the campaign, so I don't know if that's different

Otherwise, having your heroes taking out a ruin of some sort basically every single turn will fund the early game - and that's either with minimal losses (good troops + healing) or with expendable troops (evil troops).

I also generated a lot of early game money by being an rear end in a top hat. It made the elves hate me, but it was worth it :v:

Both good and evil seem to have some benefits, good looks like it gets tougher troops on average, with more healing/defense, evil the opposite. Good benefits more in terms of morale/province happiness/growth, evil direct gold/mana/item rewards. Each side has races that do/don't like them.

Remember that you can root through the tech tree by right clicking on a building and then going through the required/requires tree from there - that's how I found where most of the Guard producing structures were, and beelined for them (though, not for the reasons you seem to need them, I needed burly guards to keep my revolting populace in line :haw:)

This game is absurdly deep, I still haven't successfully transitioned to the midgame. Right around level 20 I start running into serious trouble with the other nations. I think I'm going to lose my current game, I've sunk hundreds and hundreds of gems into a war - the enemy Commander is a loving rear end in a top hat with his 4 Executioners and three Horse Archers :arghfist::mad:

Best occurance during my current game: Killing my mage by casting one too many demon summons. They do hp damage, and no, this game will not warn you! :xd:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

victrix posted:

Tons of money - you're probably screwing up the early game somewhere, but I don't know the tech paths in this game well enough yet to suggest how you can fix that :v:

Also I'm playing random maps, not the campaign, so I don't know if that's different

Otherwise, having your heroes taking out a ruin of some sort basically every single turn will fund the early game - and that's either with minimal losses (good troops + healing) or with expendable troops (evil troops).

I also generated a lot of early game money by being an rear end in a top hat. It made the elves hate me, but it was worth it :v:

Both good and evil seem to have some benefits, good looks like it gets tougher troops on average, with more healing/defense, evil the opposite. Good benefits more in terms of morale/province happiness/growth, evil direct gold/mana/item rewards. Each side has races that do/don't like them.

Remember that you can root through the tech tree by right clicking on a building and then going through the required/requires tree from there - that's how I found where most of the Guard producing structures were, and beelined for them (though, not for the reasons you seem to need them, I needed burly guards to keep my revolting populace in line :haw:)

This game is absurdly deep, I still haven't successfully transitioned to the midgame. Right around level 20 I start running into serious trouble with the other nations. I think I'm going to lose my current game, I've sunk hundreds and hundreds of gems into a war - the enemy Commander is a loving rear end in a top hat with his 4 Executioners and three Horse Archers :arghfist::mad:

Best occurance during my current game: Killing my mage by casting one too many demon summons. They do hp damage, and no, this game will not warn you! :xd:

Ah, I'm doing campaign - you do a lot of essentially miniskirmishes to collect little shards of the world, and as you do you unlock new buildings for the tech tree and are able to expend your energy as a godlike being to transport materials/units/whatever from one shard to the next. Thing is, at the beginning, you're stuck at the bottom of the tech tree, but random encounters aren't. This is both good and bad, as you can get lucky and get a reliable source of a t2 unit (gargoyles, I love you so). Best way I have to do this is to rush an alliance. ALL alliance units i've encountered so far are very cheap and very good.

I've tried to be 'good' for possible future plot stuff, but i decided to take one shard with necromancy, but still try to be good (your alignment starts off as neutral for each shard, because nobody's ever heard of you when you just arrive - it's how people perceive you). That didn't work well. It's amazing just how quickly necromancy floors your alignment, heh.

However, Necromancy is easily the most powerful tier 1 wizard. It's absolutely incredible, and synergizes perfectly with evil units - evil bandits/thieves/berserkers are cheap and powerful, then when they die they become almost-free and still very powerful zombies and skeletons, whom then kill enemies who ALSO become zombies and skeletons. It's just a tidal wave of zombies, spreading and killing. Why does good have to be so disadvantaged? Argh. I'm thinking that good probably gets better when you can get to higher tiers, and the 'few powerful units' strategy actually works.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How do you initiate alliances in the Campaign? I'm in the same situation as Wolpertinger as far as guards. It's like the enemy steps into territory and leaves a bastion of defense in his wake, while I have to scrape by for the one province I've attacked. Alliance units would help.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Jastiger posted:

How do you initiate alliances in the Campaign? I'm in the same situation as Wolpertinger as far as guards. It's like the enemy steps into territory and leaves a bastion of defense in his wake, while I have to scrape by for the one province I've attacked. Alliance units would help.

First, get a hero with a strong army - numbers or power. Then, find a race with an alignment that matches yours. 'Negotiate', go through the dialogue various ways until you can offer an alliance - some races may possibly require diplomacy (scout, or scout multiclass skill) to make them talk to you (I needed it for dwarves, apparently). They'll give you a quest to kill a certain number of a creature, depending on the race - halflings want bandits or rogues, lizardmen want spiders or slugs, centaurs often want ogres or minotaurs (Assholes don't make it easy). Once you do, return and they will join you without a fight, and ALL provinces of that race will join you without a fight (and come with a free racial guard with no upkeep). Then, you can build alliance buildings in your capital and pump out some of the cheapest best units.

Also, apparently alignment is stickier than I thought - after winning the necromancy-focused game and ending up as pure evil (despite being kind in events), it changed my overall alignment on the astral plane down one level from neutral to Dishonest, and I started as such in the next game. Guess no more necromancy for me. Dammit, necromancy is awesome.

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

Wolpertinger posted:

Also, apparently alignment is stickier than I thought - after winning the necromancy-focused game and ending up as pure evil (despite being kind in events), it changed my overall alignment on the astral plane down one level from neutral to Dishonest, and I started as such in the next game. Guess no more necromancy for me. Dammit, necromancy is awesome.

Hmm, I think it might be some sort of average then. I've experienced just the opposite with abusing the hell out of dark magic for like the first 4-5 shards and only getting back to good at shard ~12.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

OrangéJéllo posted:

Hmm, I think it might be some sort of average then. I've experienced just the opposite with abusing the hell out of dark magic for like the first 4-5 shards and only getting back to good at shard ~12.

Dark magic does make things easier at first, but good units are growing on me some as I learn to use them.

I've found that Swordsmen + Scout is my favorite good aligned combo. Swordsmen have fantastic defense and counterattack, augmented by parry, and when you surround your scout with one they will often kill many enemies if you just leave them there and let them autoattack, because Parry makes the hit you for almost nothing - if you attack with them, parry doesn't go off for the enemies counterstrike and you end up taking much more damage as a result. Swordsmen are at their best when they never actually attack themselves.

Now, if only the healers would last more than one battle each - every ranged unit on the planet beelines for them and you can't do diddly to stop them

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 25, 2012

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Wolpertinger posted:

Dark magic does make things easier at first, but good units are growing on me some

I've found that Swordsmen + Scout is my favorite good aligned combo. Swordsmen have fantastic defense and counterattack, augmented by parry, and when you surround your scout with one they will often kill many enemies if you just leave them there and let them autoattack, because Parry makes the hit you for almost nothing - if you attack with them, parry doesn't go off for the enemies counterstrike and you end up taking much more damage as a result. Swordsmen are at their best when they never actually attack themselves.

Now, if only the healers would last more than one battle each - every ranged unit on the planet beelines for them and you can't do diddly to stop them

I'd go with Swordsmen if they didn't have that 1 speed, unfortunately. I prefer spearmen/bowmen as my early game as the thrown spears synergize pretty well with bowmen and the spearmen are inexpensive. I try to get a lizardman alliance when possible because lizardmen do very well guarding my bowmen/commander and have solid attack ratings of their own for not much more than spearmen.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Panzeh posted:

I'd go with Swordsmen if they didn't have that 1 speed, unfortunately. I prefer spearmen/bowmen as my early game as the thrown spears synergize pretty well with bowmen and the spearmen are inexpensive. I try to get a lizardman alliance when possible because lizardmen do very well guarding my bowmen/commander and have solid attack ratings of their own for not much more than spearmen.

That's the thing - my current strategy wants as many turns as possible before the melee units clash to pick off as many units as possible with the Scout, so they're just standing there anyway. When the enemies arrive, they continue to stand there because they have amazing defense/counterattacks, better than attacking. They're the ultimate lazy unit. I do like spearmen though when iron isn't available, because swordsmen start hitting like 150-200 a pop with iron inflation.

I have no idea how people manage to get anywhere with a hero other than a scout or a necromancer/summoner. My commanders always end up completely ineffective - very minor stat boosts to a few weak units, can't kill enough to actually level up enough to field an army big enough to make up for the lack of hero instakills. I haven't even tried warrior though, because blech, melee hero. (enemy warriors are free kills for a scout).

Heck, I can't even see how it's viable to go any scout subclass route but doubleshot - getting more trophies is nice and all but those tiny bonuses have nothing on doubleshot instant kills as far as I can tell.

On an unrelated note, has anyone figured out the deal with inter-Master diplomacy? I ran into my first Master on a shard - the friendly good aligned mage, and I want to be buddies with him on Astral, but he won't accept my alliance proposal, and is it even possible to get an alliance victory? Or even if you make an alliance do you have to end up killing each other in the end? The way he phrased his greeting, made me not sure if I had to kill him or not.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 25, 2012

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Wolpertinger posted:

I have no idea how people manage to get anywhere with a hero other than a scout or a necromancer/summoner. My commanders always end up completely ineffective - very minor stat boosts to a few weak units, can't kill enough to actually level up enough to field an army big enough to make up for the lack of hero instakills. I haven't even tried warrior though, because blech, melee hero. (enemy warriors are free kills for a scout).

I'm finding that I just use commanders for the increased effect from command increases(i believe commanders get more from their command points than other heroes), and he just sits there slinging spells.

I use my scout in a different way, honestly, to run an all-terrain army with pathfinding which lets me dominate terrain-infested maps with shooting using bowmen and a few spearmen/lizardmen.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Just got myself this game as a Christmas present. And I'm only about twenty minutes into it. Two questions:

How do I heal my guys? do I have to use my hero's magic spell during battle? Or is it as simple as skipping some days?

I was reading about this on the Bay12 forums, and someone mentioned a translated manual. I am a neckbeard who likes to know all the rules. Is this a real thing? Subsequent Google searches have yielded nothing but broken dreams/hardship.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So how do you guys deal with races that don't like your alignment? Some other forums suggest parking a hero on them and plundering until they get genocided and the province is repopulated with humans.

vvv: Well, it's what I read. I'm not sure if it's even true since this game doesn't gently caress around and my savescumming-punkass-self would rather play Beginner to see the sights. By the time I could get genociding, the AI's on the ropes.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 25, 2012

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You can do that? :aaa:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

That's the thing - my current strategy wants as many turns as possible before the melee units clash to pick off as many units as possible with the Scout, so they're just standing there anyway. When the enemies arrive, they continue to stand there because they have amazing defense/counterattacks, better than attacking. They're the ultimate lazy unit. I do like spearmen though when iron isn't available, because swordsmen start hitting like 150-200 a pop with iron inflation.

Heck, I can't even see how it's viable to go any scout subclass route but doubleshot - getting more trophies is nice and all but those tiny bonuses have nothing on doubleshot instant kills as far as I can tell.

On an unrelated note, has anyone figured out the deal with inter-Master diplomacy? I ran into my first Master on a shard - the friendly good aligned mage, and I want to be buddies with him on Astral, but he won't accept my alliance proposal, and is it even possible to get an alliance victory? Or even if you make an alliance do you have to end up killing each other in the end? The way he phrased his greeting, made me not sure if I had to kill him or not.

I'm about 10 shards into the campaign, and I've found that the commander has become my bread and butter hero. The commander has a really rough start, but once you get through the first several turns it gets better. The trick with the commander is to keep your units alive so that they gain levels and medals. That combined with bonuses from the commander and high morale stacks up in a really powerful way. Oh, and warriors get pretty absurd at higher levels as they one shot everything and tend to have well over 100 hitpoints, though item maintenance does become a bit of an issue.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What is this more like: AoW or HoMM? It seems very AoW with the single units and lack of healing and so forth, especially site exploration.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Leith you and a half dead boy with a sling can not defeat 2 swordsmen a healer and a monk with no casualties. Time to get that eye of yours looked at

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

WYA posted:

What is this more like: AoW or HoMM? It seems very AoW with the single units and lack of healing and so forth, especially site exploration.

Feels like HoMM with a much more involved strategic layer.

It is unlike HoMM in that the 'world map' is a hexed based affair, with each individual province being developed and explored individually, rather than moving your heroes around and picking up widgets/fighting packs of single monsters.

Combat is exactly like HoMM, sans the unit stacking obviously.

Easily my favorite TBS in a looooooong time, combines the best parts of a lot of my favorite games.

bollig posted:

How do I heal my guys? do I have to use my hero's magic spell during battle? Or is it as simple as skipping some days?

I was reading about this on the Bay12 forums, and someone mentioned a translated manual. I am a neckbeard who likes to know all the rules. Is this a real thing? Subsequent Google searches have yielded nothing but broken dreams/hardship.

Units heal slooooooooooowly per turn. You can speed it up by a) building structures like the infirmary that speed troop healing b) using magic rituals that heal troops (unlocked via ruin exploration or magic structure building) c) placing them in a garrison, which speeds healing or d) using heal spells in battle.

Gems are your only limit on spell usage though, so feel free to pile up 3-4 heal spells in the early game and leave an enemy unit alive while you heal up your units at the end of the fight.

No idea on translated manual. I've found a few things, but they're badly translated. The Russian fan community seems really friendly, there's apparently some insanely huge Russian mod (surprise, given their HoMM efforts) that they'd like to bring to the english fans, but they need translation help.

victrix fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

victrix posted:

Units heal slooooooooooowly per turn. You can speed it up by a) building structures like the infirmary that speed troop healing b) using magic rituals that heal troops (unlocked via ruin exploration or magic structure building) c) placing them in a garrison, which speeds healing or d) using heal spells in battle.

:eng101: and f) recruiting healing units (healers, fairies, monks). Which you definitely want to do.

Edit: I'm not actually sure if fairies speed out of combat healing. Healers definitely do though, and I'm pretty sure monks do, since they're basically tier 2 healers.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 25, 2012

• Locked thread