Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

pigdog posted:

Ok so thus far in my campaign I had been pimping out a Warrior and thinking that was the end of it, as nothing can touch a fully levelled warrior with grandeur/dragon gear amirite? Who needs wizards and commanders?

Wrong, says the game, as the enemy starts deploying "gently caress YOU" guards consisting of uber-levelled giant spiders, manticores, basilisks and slugs. God dammit. :saddowns:

Urgh, the Monsters guard. The only way I can take those out without massive casualties is by having a 20th level Wizard cast Mass Suicide twice in the first turn.

Seriously, gently caress whoever thought that making poison effects stack was a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

my dad posted:

It's beatable with a high level commander and healers. Although you'll lose a unit or two unless you have revive or a unit capable of casting it. (High level tier 3 healer)

That's actually what I tried first. I lost all of my guardsmen and most of the rest of my army was near death. Granted, my commander wasn't at a terribly high level (around 18 as I recall), but I did have two clerics and a bunch of elves at the time.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

my dad posted:

Yes. Near (or maybe even at) the very top of the tech-tree.

It's one of the artifact merchant buildings, I think the second-to-last one.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

DrManiac posted:

What building do you have to get for the basic guards again? In the campaign is it one of the ones that's disabled until you find the shard that has it?

If you mean the Recruits, you need the training fields (an upgrade of the armory). You can get Local Militia with just the militia building, though, and from what I remember that doesn't need to be unlocked in the campaign.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

occipitallobe posted:

Beserkers are good in terms of raw stats, but the healing ability is huge, and allows holy knights (and to a lesser extent dark knights) to simply clean up entire provinces at a time without sustaining any damage. Given that healing otherwise takes time, and time is the thing most at a premium in Eador, beserkers are a strategic disadvantage in addition to being not that much better in battle than holy knights.

Regeneration and First Aid are pretty much a wash as far as healing goes; the former heals less but doesn't require you to skip any turns for it work, and both speed up regeneration outside of combat. Round Attack is also a real game-changer that lets you take down far more dragons/cyclops/giants than you normally could without losing units. Not that Holy Knights aren't good (they're probably the best multiclass character), but I think you're underrating Berserkers a bit.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

There's a rare cuirass that gives you +9 armor or something ridiculous like that, and I'll use a chestpiece if I'm just starting out with a warrior, but otherwise I never use plate. It's not much better than mail and the penalties get pretty nasty, plus mail is usable by commanders as well.

On that subject, what kind of item shops do people like to build in their capitals? I'm fond of master mailmakers and carpenters, with a journeyman jeweler and apprentice tanner or tailor. It lets me outfit any type of hero with decent gear until I can find some artifacts for them.

SumYungGui posted:

I can't stand using archers. I tend to play a good aligned game so leveling up my units is a pretty big part of the game and there is absolutely no way to keep them alive for any length of time. They will get a spell dropped on them or have someone go through hell and back to charge into them or every single other ranged guy on the other team will focus fire, whatever, something always always happens and they go from full to dead in one turn with no hope of doing anything about it.

Most ranged units aren't that good. Crossbowmen and elves are the only ones I ever use.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Great, now I just need to find all of the Al Bhed primers around Spira and I'll be all set

Seriously though, that would be a cool site if I had any idea what it was saying.

This is the same page with Google Translate - http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Feador.com%2Fen%2Findex.html&act=url

It's legible enough to provide some useful info.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Has anyone defeated a dragon? How did you do it?

A twinked out warrior (very high level, tons of resistance and attack power, a lifestealing item REALLY helps) can handle lone dragons without much trouble. I managed to defeat two dragons at once with that set up + Round Attack. As noted, a Scout with Doubleshot will work well if you don't mind sacrificing a unit or two.

The most dragons I've seen in one place is 7, and I'm making it a goal in my current game to try and and clear one out by the end. I'm told you can do it with enough crazy artifacts.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

Is there any point in conquering the dirt poor goblin provinces?

My imperialist tendencies won't let me ignore them, no matter how bad they are.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I'm curious, how much use do people get out of bowmen, ballistas, and catapults (or really, any archer that isn't an elf or crosswbowman)? They seem to cost far more than their statistics would suggest, and I'm in the middle of tweaking them, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something really obvious.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

a!n posted:

Ballistas and Catapults make for great ranged troops. If you have gold and an army slot to spare they're definitely worth it in a ranged army. Because they never run out of ammo they're incredibly good in conjunction with debilitating spells or giant spiders. They also speed up sieging a significant amount, which is handy for those AIs that love to build forts.

I dunno, they're hideously expensive and can't be healed or resurrected(plus they still lose stamina, and their damage goes down with injury, despite being mechanical units). They only get three shots and collecting ammo is time consuming and unreliable.

a!n posted:

Bowmen, like all the cheap units are mostly for when you get a bad start and cant maintain an army of swords/pikes/crossbows and for some reason don't want to build barbs or brigands. You'll usually want to try and get the 'good' T1 units so you can level them up and turn them into formidable fighters. I'm not using the bowmen any more. Slingers are actually better than bowmen (although still not ideal) and their guard also provides some utility with its sight radius.

Bowmen are by no means cheap. They cost more than any other tier 1 unit, yet do less damage than everything except militia, and they die if anything even looks at them funny.

You're right about slingers, though. I've seen screenshots from those masochistic Russian players who get them up to level 30 and they can get really scary if they stay alive.

a!n posted:

Other ranged units like Shamans, Necromancers or Monks are worth it if you aren't going for an iron start. They provide a lot of utility and can learn even more spells after levelling up. A Ranger with 2 monks can fire double shots infinitely.

The magic ones are great, yes. They have excellent attack on top of magic damage (well, Monks and Clerics don't but the others do). I was talking units that do physical damage at range.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Has anyone ever had to fight an Armada guard? It consist of 5 war elephants, 4 executioners, and 6 thugs. :pwn:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Sorry for the doublepost, but I wanted to share something that's made the game a lot easier for me; the Burn Ammo spell. If you didn't know, it drains up to 6 ammo from a ranged unit and does damage equal to the amount drained. Here's why it's aweseome:

- It makes it way easier to keep a healer alive early on. Casting it on an archer or a crossbowmen will take it right out of the fight and keep them from harming the healer. It even works on the shamans in barbarian settlements, since their ammo reserve is so low it doesn't matter if they resist most of it.

- Conversely, you can cast it on enemy healers. It'll probably only take one or two charges from them, but it also makes them waste a turn (and another charge) healing themselves.

- Using it on thieves, assassins, and slugs will force them into melee range and limit the amount of poison damage they deal.

- Ballistas and catapults can spend a turn to recover ammo, but only being able to attack every other turn (on average) will still severely limit them, especially since they won't be able to stack their ranged defense debuff as quickly. Most notably, this makes ancient caches easier to raid.

- And now for the big one; you can cast it on spiders and basilisks to keep them from webbing/petrifying you. Their resistance is so low that one cast is nearly guaranteed to wipe out a unit's ammo. No longer are dark druids or monsters guards a death sentence for a lone warrior, and if you have some resistance negation you can use it on medusas, too.

- It's only level 1, and despite being a chaos spell, using it doesn't affect your karma (though you will take a small hit for building the altar of chaos).

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Dropbear posted:

Does actually using evil units decrease your karma, or is it just a single hit when you purchase them? I found a place that I can recruit trolls from and rummaged through half the map with one of them beating everything to death largely by himself, and I'm curious if that hosed with my karma much. On that note, trolls really do get pretty ridiculous fast if you manage to get them early enough so that your enemies don't have many tier 2 / 3 units to counter them with - I just hasted mine and kept casting astral energy on it for double turns of beating everything to a pulp.

Also, is the astral plane bugged somehow in MoTBW? I've tried being as good as possible (well, besides the troll-thing) but Oinor is still "indifferent" to me. I also noticed that the statistics screen shows my best title as "Spectre", although I've gotten Eternal Ruler and other grander sounding ones too. Or is spectre really above those?

From what I was told about Genesis, it's just a single hit when you recruit them. Also, if you recruit a bunch of them on the same turn, you'll only take a penalty for the first unit hired; Trolls are evil (-2 karma), so you'll lose 2 karma whether you hire 1 of them or 10, as long as you do it all at once.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Dropbear posted:

EDIT: What I'm curious about is how the different choices in the "Your officials are corrupted"-events affect things. Is arranging a court session for show the best option in reducing corruption? It costs 300 gold, while fining the officials gives me 500. I could also execute them, but I suppose that lowers karma?

Yeah, there was a discussion of this on the GOG forums. Apparently the game developer doesn't know the difference between a fine and a bribe, so the "fine him" option raises your corruption. And while "show trial" connotes that you're making a mockery of the whole thing, it actually does lower corruption and increases your karma. I killing him lowers corruption even more, but also lowers your karma.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I used to think wizards were the go-to for a gold-starved start, but swordsmen and healers are expensive, even with proper resources. Outfitting a warrior has a big upfront cost, but that's more than compensated by the fact he doesn't need ~35 gold per turn in army upkeep, and since all of his skills directly increase his stats, he's not as dependent on gear and spells, either.

That said, I think I'll try getting a commander first on my next game. Otherwise I tend to put them off for too long and they never get to a really high level.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I can't figure out how to trade / sell resources. I'd like to sell my crystals for gold. How do you do this?

You need to build an Alchemists' Guild (it's one of the mage guild buildings, I think it's the second or third upgrade) to transmute gems into gold (at a 1:1 ratio), or gold into gems (at a 25:1) ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

The Dregs posted:

Just got my rear end kicked starting out in this game twice. First was as a wizard, I started out with my three dudes and went looking for trouble. Got my rear end carved up in the first fight. Then I tried a warrior and the same thing happened. enemy ranged units killed 2 of my four mans before I ever engaged.

Are you just supposed to turtle up for the first ten or so turns to get shops and such going?

Don't waste your time with the starting army, put a militia in your garrison and spend a few turns recruiting better units to replace the rest. Try barbarians, they're cheap and powerful enough to get the ball rolling with any hero.

Also wizards are really hard if you don't use summoned demons or undead, I wouldn't suggest them to start with.

• Locked thread