Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've been SUPER addicted to this game. I want to love it so bad, I really do, but I"m getting frustrated. I've just started the last available shard in Campaign mode after losing every other shard but one and the tutorial.

How in the HELL am I supposed to fight off the enemy when they keep kamikaze attacking my capital. I feel like I'm not getting out played, just overwhelmed. I watch the enemy AI hero hop from province to province capturing stuff, no problem. Then I build up, have a bit ole army of swordsman/crossbow/legolas hero and the moment my foot steps out of my territory, I'm faced with no only over-night mega guards (which are really no problem), but he's beelined right for my capital! I go back, kill him, run out of money, go back out to explore new lands to get money, he attacks again..it's a pinball machine between my capital and money-making provinces.

On top of that, I get tired of getting slaughtered by an army of tier 1 slingers that never stop plinking. It's silly that I can't field an army bigger than 5-7 units, bu I'm facing off against heroes with 10 units?

So to make it easy, I"m just asking for some help here. What is a good way to start out without getting completely owned by tidal waves of heroes? How do I generate more gold to keep my army and hero equipped? I see the enemy running about with 3 heroes and armies enough to take provinces while I struggle to feed my people.

Otherwise I love the game. It is deep, its challenging, it's fun. I just want to figure out the correct pacing and what I could be doing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Good advice in the thread so far. I'm still trying to figure out the pacing. I expand, and do well for a while, then "A spy is nearby" and bam, 3 enemy heroes are on my doorstep quite interested in my hero leaving a province so they can attack. They will literally wait in the next province over for me to move my hero to go back and buy/repair/hire army and BAM a clash of enemies into my territory.

How do I get guards that don't immediately die? As soon as he steps foot in my territory he has like 6 bowmen that are all sniping my army. It's crazy hard.

What is a good build order? Should I be getting multiple heroes early?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How do you initiate alliances in the Campaign? I'm in the same situation as Wolpertinger as far as guards. It's like the enemy steps into territory and leaves a bastion of defense in his wake, while I have to scrape by for the one province I've attacked. Alliance units would help.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm about to try again and do an alliance. I had no idea allying with them actually netted you their provinces AND units. I'm in the campaign though, so it does sound like some things are a bit different.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I finally won a shard but I won it in a way similar to Wolpertinger, a stomping all the way through. I was exploring and expanding slllloooooowwwwwwlllyyy and found out there wree two enemy lords. I think they were too busy fighting each other to focus on me, so I was able to build up without being attacked. I was lucky enough to have a ton of income so I got two heroes and did pretty well.

However, I'm a bit troubled that it took towards end game for my archer to get a bow worth a drat, and the mage never really got any good spells except perhaps Fireball. I hope as the game goes on I have more opportunities to get better items that make them more competitive. If I didn't have such a massive gold supply or fortifications my Heroes would have been maybe half as effective during most of the game.

Also tip: BUY THE GUARD UNIT GUARDS . Having non lovely guards on your provinces makes a WORLD of difference. The enemy can't steam roll in and just take stuff like they used to. Also, when a guard unit is attacked by an uprising/enemy attack be sure to REHIRE THEM. They do not seem to heal up between battles and will eventually get weaker and weaker.

Oh and in the Arena pick the novice level. i was doing super well and picked the middle one and was facing an army of 13 or so T2-4 units that immediately killed me.

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 26, 2012

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for clearing up the guard HP regen question. I get what RNG means but what does it stand for?

Also which mage class casts two spells? I didn't see that when my hero hit level 10 and I opted for the mage that increases spell power.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wolpertinger posted:

Archmage - honestly, it seems like some of the multiclass options are too weak compared to the very powerful sticking with the main class. Pure scout can fire two arrows, which is godly, pure mage can cast two spells, which is godly - apparently warrior is the exception, and 'holy knight' is actually the best for him (warrior/commander) - with powerful self healing to keep on massacring everything solo

Do you get Archmage at a higher level> I only had the option for mage once I hit 10. I agree otherwise, dual shot is godly.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Beat another shard and met Oiner (is that his name?). I find I either steam roll the AI or it steam rolls me. Not any kind of happy medium. Maybe I'm just getting better? I don't know, but either way, this game is a lot of fun and I'm having a blast, especially since I know I'm BARELY scratching the surface!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How are you guys getting a second class to choose from after the level 10 choice? I had a level 22 scout and I only got to choose Archer at level 10. AM I just not far enough along in the Campaign to open it up?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

enigma74 posted:

Whatever class you picked at level 10 (either stay in your main class, or dual-class) gets upgraded at level 20 to a better version. Pure mages become archmages, gaining the ability to cast twice per turn. The warrior-commander dual class gets upgraded to the holy knight at level 20, gaining self-resurrection once per battle.

Oh. My Scout was level 22. What ability did he pick up? It was hard to tell since he one shot everything but dragons since I got a Mega Bow of rear end Kicking early on.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thank you for clearing that up, wolper. You've also sold me on the beta, though I am loathe to be distracted from my current genesis campaign.

Any one else having alignment issues? I was known as the terrible or something like that even though I only used xbowmen and swords men and absolutely NO chaos magic. I had those spells equipped but never used.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wolpertinger posted:

The beta is a very real beta and hasn't been optimized or all that yet, sound effects aren't in yet (only music) and it's a bit slow and choppy and buggy - genesis is more complete and playable at the moment, but the beta is definitely worth cracking open just to see how it looks. Some of the new art is very nice looking - I really like the new UI, and the shards themselves actually look like shards floating in the cosmos rather than just land that arbitrarily ends with a black border.

As far as I can tell, alignment is raised/lowered by casting healing spells or chaos/necromancy spells, choices in events, which guards you use (bandit/thief guards probably count as evil), good/evil rituals, possibly some buildings (Dark Tower), and using any even slightly evil unit (barbarians, shamans). I wouldn't have guessed that even just having evil spells equipped would drain your alignment that much - it sounds strange. Are you sure you haven't done anything else that's evil? iirc Terrible is pretty evil. Also, have you ever used autofight with that character? He may be doing some necromancy/chaos magic behind your back.

I use nothing but healing spells and tend to make "good" decisions in the random events. However, I HAVE done some random battles and used autofight...shoot that is probably it. I bet like every turn that stupid mage used raise Demon or some crap. Just another thing to avoid, I guess. It also raises an interesting beta question for the devs: enabling/disabling certain spells for our autofights and/or allowing us to equip spells or alignment changing abilities on the fly.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Grrr I just lost to Oiner or whatever. I am a good guy too but he is pissing me off.

"Lol,I'm sorry bro but I'm going to have to declare war on you :feelsgood:" then from a territory I didn't know connected he bum rushes my stronghold and I lose. After I have like mega leveled up heroes and a ton of other territory. Bah, two hours down the drain.

It seems to me that the higher level I go, the less stuff I find while "exploring". Is this right? It makes leveling up really hard when you don't get the fodder events and only get massive dragon cults. It slows down the leveling. Also, does the AI cheat? As in do they get bonus money and tech that I don't have just because they are the AI?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh I didn't expect the other master to let me live, but just the way it happened. He's like "Oh Im' terribly sorry, we have to battle like gentlemen" then sneaks in the backdoor and wins the map that very turn when I wasn't even ready.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wolpertinger posted:

Did you have a garrison in your stronghold? even one spearman will make him need to take a good 4-8 turns sieging your stronghold, giving you time to move back and attack him. If you have a guard, too, then he'll kill it and proceed on sieging, but the guard will usually weaken his army, too.

The best possible way to deal with zerg rushing masters - and I do this every single time - is to build the 'lets you build outposts in provinces' building as soon as possible. When you see a hostile master, then find a chokepoint between your territory and theirs - It doesn't have to be mountains/water, one claimed province between two neutral territories with difficult or lethal independents works great, too. The AI is very hesitant to attack independents when you have a nice juicy province sitting right there, anyway. After you find your chokepoint/s (sometimes you're unlucky and your front line is 2 or 3 provinces) build an outpost in each, and put 1`spearman or other cheap unit inside. The enemy will attack and siege them repeatedly, but you have plenty of time to react, and this incidentally leaves his heroes exposed. Normally he has them hidden behind his super-lethal guards, which means you're weakened if you can get past them. This time, you can move in and attack the siegers, and presumably kill them (high level scouts MURDER pretty much any hero). Now, you can start farming his heroes for xp/gold/loot, instead of dying horribly.

I really do wish I knew how the AI afforded putting the 350 gold Men of War guards in EVERY SINGLE PROVINCE, and add more the second he gets another, and pays upkeep, too. Especially considering that men of war are at the end of a rather expensive chain of buildings. This is skilled, so supposedly he should be getting penalized, not free money.

In this particular instance I thought my stronghold was well behind the front lines. I didn't see the one teensy province that was still shaded in black to the north. I DID have a garrison of punk rear end militia and slingers which he just ran around one shotting.

One thing that does bug me is that the AI is able to field much larger units than I can. I can steam roll over some enemies, and rightfully so when I've saved up and got them all strategically placed, but it bugs me when he has like 10 slingers/monks/magic ranged unit that kills my units. Sure I may still win, but now because of some silly reason his slingers are doing 6 damage per double shot to my level 10 crossbowman.

Its like the AI's T1 units get a boost if you're winning.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My heroes WERE far away and wounded. It was just a nasty situation.

I find doubleshotting dragons to be ridiculous. Often my mage will be higher level or have better gear than my Archer, but since the Archer can shoot twice and hide behind troops, while the mage may get resisted or take multiple turns, my scout is a dragon killing machine.

How do you use summong creatures though? I get tons of eggs to use to summon spiders, slugs, and just now a phoenix. How do I summon the drat thing?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah for sure. Thanks for explaining the summoning thing. It just seems strange to kill a dragon, get a bad rear end phoenix egg.....and never be able to use it.

See, I'm still convinced the AI cheats somehow. They'll take over a province and have an army to defend with and that entire army will be leveled up in two turns. What the hell is he doing in two turns to get level 9 bowmen or 12 swordsman?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Never mind I see there was a hotfix.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've started ditching swordsman all together. I'll build NOTHING BUT Xbowmen. I'll research swords for the Guard Tower so I can hire guards, but otherwise I find swordsman to just be a waste. I agree that defense is important but what usually kills me is mega ranged bullshit shamans/sorcerers. Seriously they make me mad. Why should a stupid T1 unit have a magic attack that does more than a T2 melee attack? That is what kills me most of the time, so I'll keep Xbowmen, put them in the back rank and make them come at me while I plink them with my scout. Anyone else using a similar tactic?

Another question-how do I get a decent guard unit that isn't chewed up and spit out by the enemies warrior? He'll kill my Guards guard unit with ease, maybe losing one unit, while I attack his Thug unit and have to be VERY careful on how I engage them. 3 thugs, 4 bowmen and the rest as assassins/brigands make it very difficult to over come.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah the shaman magic attack isn't godly or anything, it's just the fact that I have a relatively weaker defensive army and they get a shaman on a hill somewhere behind some REAL threats like a Thug or Executioner and I can say hello to at least 3 turns of shamans blasting my otherwise good Xbowmen for 7 damage a pop. It's ridiculous because that one shot needs to go to take down the big boys, not be wasted on a stupid shaman. It's really a great strategy for the AI to have long term. It may not win the war, but by picking off the little guys with cheap shamans it is definitely the long game. The trouble is I know that isn't what its doing, it's just a stupid mechanic that counters mine and I'm irritated about it:)

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No kidding. I am earlier yet than Wolpertinger, fighting Beleth and the Barbarian dude. They were fighting me, no problem, but he's take a few provinces in a row. Then they would BOTH have guards on them. How does he do that? He managed to have all the provinces built up with guards and buildings on them all in the same turn. I'm very confused as to how this is happening.

One thing that I learned, and it may not be obvious to others because it wasn't to me...if you're going back and forth, I found the best thing to do is get your outpost/fort up and put one single cheap unit in there. The AI will siege you and that will give you 3 turns to get there and take it back. I figured this out after I kept having to siege my own province back when there were no guards...he'd just put one unit there and I would have to wait a few turns to take it back. The flip side is, if you are putting a siege HIM, 9 times out of 10 he'll attack no matter the odds. This means you can usually get the victory that way.

Just something I've noticed.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Finally beat the game where they had a billion guards on every province. I wonder how he keeps getting the Thug guard. That one is a bitch with the bowmen on hills and the Thugs out front. Stupid AI using good army comp.

As far as heroes, how many heroes does everyone generally get? I usually go for three, Scout, Mage, then Warrior but usually only after I get some epic items to equip him with. The AI HAS to be doing something fishy to get 6 heroes. He had two scouts, a mage, a commander, and a warrior (Slayer) with fully stocked armies and would repeatedly throw himself into my provinces. There is no way he can pay for that upkeep AND have most of his own provinces 100% explored, AND have all the T2 guards he does AND have all the money to replish his army after a guard takes out one or two units.

I really wish I could see how they do it like you could in Age of Empires/Starcraft/Civ after a game is over and watch how they build.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh that Lashuun guy invaded me. Even though I can see the whole map he still out expands me and has 3 heroes to my two! How do you beat the computer like this? Should I build up my own lands or rush to expand first? Money is an issue of course, but jeez, how does he expand so fast with such huge armies?!

That makes Three Return to the Astrals.. He'll just take one province and put like 10 Centaurs on it on like turn 3 and it's over for me. Why does his thing say Expert anyways. I'm playing on Noob or whatever.

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 3, 2013

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well I'm pretty much screwed. LaShuun keeps invading my home shard and I can NOT beat him back. He comes up to me super fast with massive armies of t2 units, two heroes, and mega guards on every province he leap frogs. I'm surrounded by hills, plains and forest, he has swamps and he is STILL out earning me and beating my rear end. I keep having to go back to the Astral and reloading just hoping I get a mega bow or something to fight him off.

Any ideas on how to beat this instance?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

my dad posted:

First, tell us what you've tried, which tier 2 troops exactly, what is his province guard of choice, which indeps are giving you the most trouble, what difficulty you're playing at and which troops you can potentially reach.

It's a complicated game, so there's really a lot of stuff you have to take into account. :shobon:

Welp he invaded my main shard and I lost the campaign. Back to square one. On Beginner.

He is bringing in 2-3 Thugs, a Knight and some other garbage T1 units. Usually his hero is a warrior that somehow has the most beastly equipment. I tried the same thing with a warrior and found not a single warrior item. When he invaded my main Demense he was hitting my level 7 warrior for 10 per turn and mine couldn't hurt him while he regenerated. I don't know what he is doing to expand so fast! I barely get the provinces surrounding my main area and he's knocking at my door step. It was my main shard so you have full map visibility, and he just walks up and trounced me even as I saw him coming.

The indeps were just large numbers of orcs/goblins or large retinues of guardsmen. It doesn't matter because once I take them he'd just stream roll over me anyways.

The most units i get to before I lose is maybe getting a full army of 4 or so Crossbowmen. I can't even get to T2 and still afford the troops to recruit them.

I'm just frustrated. I must be absolutely terrible at this game to lose so quickly in the campaign. I beat the crap out of Beleth and Oinir, but this Lashuun just walks up and bashes me out of the game.

What is the standard strategy to get up and going? Rush to defense or good guards? Rush to expand ASAP? I'm just not sure.

Edit: Ugh and as soon as I try to get onto a shard with a new campaign, the game crashes!

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 5, 2013

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I did have to start over and I find it's still a tough game, but I am not flailing around on the beginning shards. HOPEFULLY this gives me a slight edge when it comes to facing off against the other Masters later on in the campaign.

A Commander makes the troops MEGA tough so I like the idea. THe trouble is it seems like a very deep investment. Either you get a Commander, outfit him, and get mega troops and NEVER have them die. Or it seems your Commander would be useless since his army gets destroyed. Is it worth while to stock up on T1 units with a commander?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
One thing that still bothers me is the imbalance with the guards and the Warrior hero.

I'll out tactic the enemy, out spend, out guard, etc. But he still just rolls through with his one warrior, kills ALL my guards and stuff. Why should that one unit be dominating? How is he getting massive Adventuring parties to defend his provinces, but my Adventures guard is like butter against him?

Grawr, I want a guard that can actually freakin' GUARD. Is the Guardsman Guard any good?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

my dad posted:

But do you outexpand them? What difficulty are you playing on?

It pretty good, albeit expensive, for a tier 1 guard. (You're talking about the sword/crossbow one, right?)

Not always, no. I run into neutrals that his mega Warrior is able to just solo I guess. I expand fine, but he always seems to have more land up front and I have to play catch up as far as provinces. It's strange because he'll have a mill/pub/shipyard on every plot while I can't afford to build up my fewer provinces. It sucks:(

No, I mean the Guardsman Guard. I haven't used it yet, and its only unlocked after unlocking T2 guardsman. The "Guards" guard is OK. But the AI still chews through them like paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hate to double post, but for Commanders, does all the passive abilities he get apply to the army? Like he picks up marksman which gives him an additional 1 range for his ranged attacks...does that effect the Crossbowmen or Bowmen in the army, or just the Commander?

• Locked thread