Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So how do you guys deal with races that don't like your alignment? Some other forums suggest parking a hero on them and plundering until they get genocided and the province is repopulated with humans.

vvv: Well, it's what I read. I'm not sure if it's even true since this game doesn't gently caress around and my savescumming-punkass-self would rather play Beginner to see the sights. By the time I could get genociding, the AI's on the ropes.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Haha, there's a ritual that summons a fake enemy army for you to train your units on! This game's definitely pretty drat good.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Just a heads-up: while it is possible to plunder a province until the resident race is extinct and you can then repopulate with glorious homo sapiens, there's a crash bug associated with it. It's still not fixed.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nice. Time to make sure these whiny centaur fucks never get the chance to revolt ever again.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So how do you use your Commanders, if you do use them? I start the game with a Scout, using him to explore provinces and eventually to kill tougher monsters as an Archer; meanwhile, I level up a Commander and his army using revealed lairs and expand into new territory.

What I'm not sure about is how to multi-class him: the +2 ranged attack and +1 initiative is nice for Commander-Scouts, and the Mobility skill line is insanely useful once you get your slow units a speed boost. However, I didn't realize that the Scout skills that give you bonuses to shooting abilities don't carry over to your army units, so I was wondering if people have tried other combinations that can be just as effective.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Plundering also lowers your alignment, natch. Thus, as far as I know, you can only deal with different races through local province improvements that raise happiness. I only wish that it was a bit more obvious how much of a natural penalty each race has in terms of happiness: halflings seem like they're just like humans, but I once had a dwarf province settle at content without a pub even though dwarves are supposed to be naturally surly or something.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

race relations

Yeah, I wish the game could be more transparent about provincial happiness mechanics and how to deal with rebels. Sometimes provinces are pissed for reasons that are unclear, like a Human province with +mood buildings being angry enough to build unrest despite choosing event options beneficial to the people.

Also, it sounds a bit dumb as a game mechanic that putting rebels down will only make the province angrier, leading to exponentially more trouble. Makes playing Good leaders annoying since you can't rely on genocide/scorched earth to deal with rebellious races and instead you can only keep a guard that will eventually lose to attrition or hope that the +1 mood building can stave off rebel sentiment.

vvv: I heard reports that plundering to extinction does work; I'm just not sure which dialogue choice wipes the pop type clean. Still, as we both play Good masters, it's probably inconvenient since the "permanent" solution is an Evil act, but I suppose it thematically fits.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 28, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
On my melee units, I prioritize health and defensive stats before offensive ones since I prefer them to hold ground rather than kill things. That's the job of ranged dudes, where only +ranged attack goes above health. Ammo usually isn't a concern since everything dies before I run out, and even then, melee can clean house.

I'm not sure about the math, but I think one additional health trumps all defensive stats since it counts for all possible damage sources as opposed to a single one.

vvv: Ooh, good point. Chalk me up for a generalist then.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 30, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
This game doesn't hold back, even on the easier difficulties, but what do you guys do when the win is clearly in your hands: enemy stronghold open with your army at the ready? Do you go for the kill or surround them with tough guards and conquer the whole map?

I'm mainly curious because I'm wondering which method gets you more glory in general. Pointless usually, but it looks cool on your astral stat screen. :v:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Brackhar posted:

What does it mean for a resource to be "guarded" and red?

You don't get its benefits until you kill the guards.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tithin Melias posted:

Maybe I missed something - I'm playing the tutorial and getting my rear end stomped by the enemy lords troops. He's using steel wielding spearmen and swordsmen, while the best I've been able to rustle up is leather clad spearmen - is there a way to upgrade my troops? I bought all of my buildings up but couldnt find any option to upgrade..

The tutorial limits your tech tree unfortunately. Ultimately, losing your troops in the tutorial doesn't really matter as long you win the map in the end though; that's when what you do in the game starts to really matter.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tithin Melias posted:

Ok thanks :shobon:

So how do I take on the enemy stronghold? I picked a scout and crossed him to an archer at level 10 (he's 15 right now) but I can't attack the enemy archers on the field, and his archers can attack me fine.

IIRC, the tutorial map has no time limit so you can grind all the provinces for monster lair experience. Also, you might get lucky and find ranged weapon/leather armor shops when exploring; buy their stuff since you have all the time you need to farm gold.

Megazver's advice is also sound since you can randomly get Swordsmen in the draw, which are way better than Light Infantry at tanking. If you're feeling lucky, you can auto-resolve the fights if your hero is feeling confident about the fight and his stats are really high. It's not reliable, but it can pull off wins without losing troops that you'll be hard-pressed to do yourself for some reason. Conversely, it can lose you troops and fights that you can do perfectly.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Finally got into Tier 2 units. Replacing Healers with Monks is a no-brainer thanks to their ranged heals and bonus magic attack, but for you Commander-users out there: do you prefer stacking the Tier 1 rank with Swordsmen/Pikemen as meatshields or Crossbowmen/Bowmen for more ranged firepower? I can see the latter being more useful later in the game since the Commander's ranged skills scale better with more Crossbowmen shots while T2 Guardsmen can go toe-to-toe with big attackers, but I can see a melee-oriented Commander doing well with a Swordsmen line and Ballistae picking at vital targets.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Finally beat the game where they had a billion guards on every province. I wonder how he keeps getting the Thug guard. That one is a bitch with the bowmen on hills and the Thugs out front. Stupid AI using good army comp.

As far as heroes, how many heroes does everyone generally get? I usually go for three, Scout, Mage, then Warrior but usually only after I get some epic items to equip him with. The AI HAS to be doing something fishy to get 6 heroes. He had two scouts, a mage, a commander, and a warrior (Slayer) with fully stocked armies and would repeatedly throw himself into my provinces. There is no way he can pay for that upkeep AND have most of his own provinces 100% explored, AND have all the T2 guards he does AND have all the money to replish his army after a guard takes out one or two units.

I really wish I could see how they do it like you could in Age of Empires/Starcraft/Civ after a game is over and watch how they build.

It's the escalating difficulty that kinda puts me off the game, really. You can't really sit tight, build up your provinces, and explore/dungeon-dive each of them to 100% because it doesn't pay as well as conquering large swathes of land. You can't always count on finding natural chokepoints to pin enemies down either, since they eventually get powerful enough to take down the harder provincial guards and peaks are rare.

Not everyone's cup of tea of course, but I like the development aspect of the game compared to aggressive play and killing enemy lords/Masters since the tech tree is pretty deep and the potential upgrades your units can get are pretty cool.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 2, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mr.Hell posted:

Does anyone know how to get the dwarves to allow an alliance?

You'll need a hero with ranks in the Diplomacy skill. If your karma isn't Evil, they'll ally with you through a quest to find a poleaxe in a Lair of Bandits, so hopefully you'll find one while exploring or have one at the ready. If your Diplomacy skill is high enough (3, I think), you can instantly buy an alliance through 3000 gold.

vvv: Sure thing.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 10, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Hate to double post, but for Commanders, does all the passive abilities he get apply to the army? Like he picks up marksman which gives him an additional 1 range for his ranged attacks...does that effect the Crossbowmen or Bowmen in the army, or just the Commander?

I'd like to have this confirmed too; I stopped traiting into Commander/Scout after I realized it wasn't working but I swear I once saw one of my Crossbowmen with Precise Shot when my Commander/Scout had that skill. The Pathfinding bonuses are really good with Commander and I'd like to have an excuse to use that particular combo again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

It's been a little while since I've played Eador, but I'm pretty certain that the trait's descriptions always says if it affects more than just the hero; if it doesn't say anything about the rest of the party, it probably doesn't affect them. Also, crossbowmen have precise shot by default.

The former part is true and notable, but I think Crossbowmen have Armorpiercing Shot (halves ranged resistance), which is different from Precise Shot (-1 to ranged resistance per rank in Precise Shot).

The translation for Genesis is pretty good, but I hope they clarify more of the mechanics in Masters of the Broken World. In fact: based on that example, if a unit had both Armorpiercing Shot and Precise Shot, which of them would apply first in damage calculation?

vvv: Excellent breakdown, thank you!

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 20, 2013

• Locked thread