Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

The only TBS games I'm familiar with are the Total War series, which I love very much. Never played any of the HOMM games, so how familiar/unfamiliar would I be with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

victrix posted:

The strategic level is quite similar to Total War, in terms of developing your provinces - the combat is completely different. Instead of an RTS, it's a turn based hex grid tactical combat affair.

If you've played something like that and you like it/don't mind it (preferably like, there's a lot of combat in this game), give it a shot.

This is without a doubt one of the best TBS games I've played in a long time. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and find something I hate, but it hasn't happened. And the AI beat me, repeatedly, on a low difficulty setting, which is a plus in my book :v:

Also if you've never played HoMM, get your rear end over to gog.com and buy Heroes 2 and 3. If you really can't stomach the old art (I still wouldn't pass up H3 for that, it's so drat good), you could try Heroes 5 or the recent King's Bounty remake, which have a similar experience.

Awesome. I dig the Total War series for it's strategic gameplay, the actual battles were very meh to me and I would probably auto-resolve them all if I didn't get such a better result from playing them out myself.

I've never given HoMM a second glance when seeing it around, but if it's as loved as everyone indicates and has cool strategy gameplay then I'll get on it.

• Locked thread