Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Russian wiki here:

http://eador.com/en/

Use google chrome's translation feature or a google-translate add-on for your browser to read it. Loads of useful information. Say the battle estimates there are 4 giant spiders in a ruin...it's nice to know exactly how strong those spiders will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005

Jastiger posted:

How are you guys getting a second class to choose from after the level 10 choice? I had a level 22 scout and I only got to choose Archer at level 10. AM I just not far enough along in the Campaign to open it up?

Whatever class you picked at level 10 (either stay in your main class, or dual-class) gets upgraded at level 20 to a better version. Pure mages become archmages, gaining the ability to cast twice per turn. The warrior-commander dual class gets upgraded to the holy knight at level 20, gaining self-resurrection once per battle.

enigma74 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 27, 2012

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Yeah for sure. Thanks for explaining the summoning thing. It just seems strange to kill a dragon, get a bad rear end phoenix egg.....and never be able to use it.

See, I'm still convinced the AI cheats somehow. They'll take over a province and have an army to defend with and that entire army will be leveled up in two turns. What the hell is he doing in two turns to get level 9 bowmen or 12 swordsman?

The ai doesn't cheat that way, province guards start with fixed levels every time. Even player guards have the same bonuses. The ai will have a better tech tree, however. And on every difficulty level under expert, the player has unique advantages.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

This game doesn't hold back, even on the easier difficulties, but what do you guys do when the win is clearly in your hands: enemy stronghold open with your army at the ready? Do you go for the kill or surround them with tough guards and conquer the whole map?

I'm mainly curious because I'm wondering which method gets you more glory in general. Pointless usually, but it looks cool on your astral stat screen. :v:

I typically go for the "kill" when I have at least two heroes who are battle-worthy and each have a decent supporting army. I prefer a single-class scout and single-class wizard, in that exact order.

I'll send them in break the enemy on the same turn, and the scout will go first because he was my first hero. The scout will open with either a false alarm (reduced enemy stamina) or poisoned water (enemy has -1HP/round). The scout will try to kill or cripple the enemy hero with double-shot. If the enemy hero is a wizard, it's pretty much guaranteed to die. Even if the scout loses, he will probably have done fatal damage to the enemy, enough that a necromancer wizard will be able to clean up easily. In the meantime, my third hero (usually a warrior), will be leveling up on easy neutrals on the chance that my attack fails and I'll need him for a longer-term war.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005

Pierzak posted:

Does anyone have a list of special achievements/titles for shard battles (i.e. their requirements, I can pull the list from the game files)?

From the gog.com thread:
Tactician - no returns and no units lost
Strategist - no returns and no battles lost
Explorer - explore more than 1000% in provinces
Cartographer - open all provinces on a map
Architector - build all buildings in castle
Dragon Hunter - clear more than 10 guardians with dragons
Destroyer - looted more than 1000 gold from your own provinces
Collectioner - wear set of 4 or more items in one hero

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005

Fargo Fukes posted:

I've been hesitant about trying completely ranged armies (or ranged units at all, really) due to the high cost and upkeep, and their low survivability. Has it been working out?

They're best against neutrals or enemy hero's that you *know* absolutely you can take out before they walk up to your ranged line and massacre you. This requires a pretty good estimation of how strong they are. If you go heavy bowman/crossbowman, you have to have an idea of how much ranged defense they have, and the same for resistance if you're using shamans. I've personally only tried an all-shaman army (competent), and I've gotten used to the type of enemies I can wreck with no casualties. These enemies would be goblins, militia, spearman, orcs, barbarians, other shamans (since you have more), thieves, brigands, skeletons, zombies, ghouls, swordsmen, crossbowmen (you move 2, and will have the first shot), pikemen, healers, a few lizardmen. The things to avoid early on are bowmen and elves, since they have a longer range and shamans have crap ranged defense. Also, enemy units with forced march (orcs, swordsman, spearmen) can wreck your day, so be sure to check their abilities. Shamans can even kill low-resistance T2 units (better have 2 shamans for every enemy T2), and the odd T3 unit. Fast, flying enemy units are pretty nasty.

Most weak neutrals have 1-2 resistance, so they get wrecked by shamans really easy. Shamans also have the ability to curse, reducing all defensive stats (including resistance) by one, which acts as a damage multiplier on future shaman attacks.

enigma74 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
I'll share a tip I found playing good:

The classical good army early on is 1 healer 3 swordsmen/pikemen. Swordsmen have parry, which makes them nearly invincible against the first melee strike, as well as vastly superior ranged defense. Pikemen have much weaker defensive-stats all around, but have first-strike.

Pikemen, in my opinion, are weaker in a single battle but better strategically. Here's why:

When you have a single wounded melee enemy in the battle, you can exploit the AI. The unit will just wander just outside of your pikemen line because it knows it will die against first strike if it attacks while wounded. A level 2 healer can learn recuperation, which allows the healer to regain 1 healing charge while resting. Given some tedious micromanagement, you can have all your surviving troops, AND your hero 100% healed at the end of every winning battle. A pikemen army in which you can prevent deaths is capable of continually beating enemy guards without a break for rest. You can save the gems that would have otherwise been spent on cure spells or rituals in other places. Sometimes, after a tough battle with a ranged/magical enemy, you'll have to beat them quickly and will end up with wounded pikemen. In the next battle, go ahead and beat on some weak melee neutrals like goblins/orcs/undead so your healer can get everyone back to 100%.

The same strategy also works during a battle, but in a different way. Sometimes you will see your pikemen being overwhelmed by superior enemy numbers, and your healer can't outheal the enemy damage. If you're positioned right, a wounded enemy who doesn't attack your pikemen will actually obstruct other enemy units from attacking, so that it's only attacked once instead of multiple times. This one turn can be the difference between your hero or your healer having the time to recharge an important area of your battle line.

• Locked thread