Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
AutoSnakes
Apr 29, 2009
These are extremely entertaining stories.

The "Josh doesn't go dutch" has way too much of a shitthatdidnthappen.txt feel, but is an entertaining, folksy piece nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutoSnakes
Apr 29, 2009

quote:

Your stories are awesome, please keep telling them, but really, this all is just too good (bad?) to be true. Especially the whole "mentally retarded" thing.

This gets to me as well. As far as I know, the burden of proof lies in convincing someone you ARE retarded, not the other way around.

Hairpin Soup posted:

Regarding the transcript: Carrie is a great woman who will be a great mom. That said, she's very much about image. She has to have things very picture perfect and 'normal'. She was not the type to ever accept help, ever, and if anyone had approached her to offer help it would be obvious she wasn't mentally challenged at all. And knowing her it was a blemish and embarrasment that it made it in her transcripts. The thorn in her side was more that it existed. And anyone noticed it had to be explained WHY it was in her transcript when it was obviously false and then she had to acknowledge all sorts of nasty stuff about her past. It really sticks out to me because after all that her mom did to her, she more or less sticks to that as being the really hurtful thing.

Ok, following up on my previous comment, I'm further convinced none of this is real. This is an example of a PERFECT sidestep in order to patch up a potential inconsistency / weak point in the original story.

And I mean PERFECT. It redirects, it calls to emotion, it throws in some new details that are just subtle enough to not disturb the original story -- it just sounds so plausible, such a good rebuttal to SchrodingersFish's challenge that I can't help but feel it's entirely made up.

That said, it is all still very entertaining and I hope to read more.

quote:

You, uhm, won't like the parking space fiasco.

Oh, but we will and you know it.

AutoSnakes
Apr 29, 2009

oval office AND PASTE posted:

Nobody cares if you think this is fake! :)

So be it! Just wondering if anyone else felt this way. Part of what makes these stories so feel-good is also what makes them a bit shitthatdidnthappen.

I don't want to be a Josh though; I'll keep my opinions to myself if I'm the only one with 'em.

AutoSnakes
Apr 29, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

How in all hells does this read as a "feel-good" story to you?

I mean this in a cathartic way. We read these stories and realize we're decent, well-adjusted people compared to what's out there. Why do you think there's other posters daydreaming about / hoping for an rear end whooping? We want to see that comeuppance.

Grandpas a Racist posted:

Thanks AutoSnakes, no one cares what you think! :thumbsup:

Are you intentionally copying another poster? At any rate, I say to all of you and the OP included, I happily abdicate my opinion -- let's not poo poo up the thread with a million renditions of "durr BS observations autosnakes no ones gives a gently caress". Point taken.

AutoSnakes
Apr 29, 2009

oval office AND PASTE posted:

Don't forget, clicking the '?' link under the OP's avatar can save you from suffering these morons. You're welcome.

I like to think these little side debates bring added value to an already entertaining set of stories, which is more than I can say for your "i'm an insufferable prick" style of posting.

Thanks for the '?' tip though! Although I first tried it on yours by accident and had to revisit the wonderful things you have to say.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I've seen 'there's always more, and it's always worse' applied to Internet fandoms, but I think the root is in human insanity. Uncle Salty - that's an excellent example.

Hm, not exactly. I'm not saying I think these stories are exaggerated because of how outlandish the content is. These stories aren't THAT crazy -- dude left you with a check, dude forgot to open the flue, mom kicked out seven year old into the winter night -- that poo poo's pretty vanilla (sadly). We still don't know what's behind the rape-for-hire, but that's not too crazy to be unbelievable (unfortunately).

It's the whole situation: characters,reactions,details,everything...it's somehow just too perfect. Cactuscarpet put it best:

cactuscarpet posted:

Yep. E/N wants to believe cause the subject of the story is the typical over-the-top goony-goon they love to hate.

These stories sound like parables, which is fine -- that's the reason I love these stories! I'm just incredulous so many people are attacking me for this. If it's really that annoying that I want to analyze these interesting stories a bit, then just do the '?' thing. Otherwise, debate the issue without being a dick.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)