Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I've kept the Elven Tunic and Pants in my torso cosmetic slot since I was level eight or so. I can always wear the best gear I find without worrying that it will clash with the rest of my outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

You can check the armor vendors for cosmetic items too, back before Moria I was wearing some white armor from the Rivendell vendors as cosmetic armor, think each major city should have a basic armor vendor. Also Skirmishes have a lot of cosmetic armor you can buy once you get 20+.

Clockwork Beast!
Jan 18, 2007

Clockwork beast! Clockwork beast! We're doomed!
I subbed like a week ago and still don't have any tp. Is that a thing or is there a problem?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I have no idea what skirmish is. I've seen some camps, but can't figure out what to do in them.

It's impossible for the game to present middle earth as anything other than underwhelming given the source material, but damned if I didn't just get lost in the old forest and stumble across Tom Bombadil and start grinning like an idiot.

How do I level up my basic weaponsmithing once I leave the starter areas with all the copper and tin lying about? Do I just start an alt and start posting stuff?

edit: my dude is wearing this http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item%3ACommon_Long-sleeved_Dress but on him it's completely different

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

Skirmish comes into play at level 20. You'll get mail that starts a quest to do the tutorials for it. They are little combat arenas where you attack/defend a position against waves of dudes and fight enemy Lieutenants, it's good XP and can be fun.

I don't get the weaponsmithing question, if you need materials just go run around in an area that has what you need? If you need the next level of resources they start showing up west of Bree.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

UnholyCow posted:

I don't get the weaponsmithing question, if you need materials just go run around in an area that has what you need? If you need the next level of resources they start showing up west of Bree.

Well I'm in Bree, and have been for a while. I've made a ton of money (to my poor little elf) selling silver ingots in the auction house, and have more barrow iron than I know what to do with, just from going 20 yards out of my way here and there on the way to and from quests.

I've not gone looking for materials at all so far, so I've run out of the basic stuff. I can't make more bronze weapons, master apprenticeship level, and start getting critical success chance on current journeyman stuff until I take a long trek home?

Prospecting practically masters itself.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

Yeah you should go grab more copper and tin since you can't master later tiers without the previous ones. I guess you could just keep marching on with the regular levels but I imagine it would be annoying having to stop leveling to gather materials for every previous tier.

Instead of running back to the elf starting area you could just go east out of Bree and run around Combe and the woods/marshes. There is plenty of copper/tin there.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It'd be nice if there was someone who'd just sell me some. Even at an inflated price, you know.

Gave up on woodworking entirely because I can't chop down trees.

#billynomates

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Additionally, skirmish camps have skirmish token (currency you get for running skirmishes) vendors where you can but lots and lots of stuff including gear, crafting components, cosmetic items and even "legacy" items like old dungeon sets.

Some skirmishes are fun and smooth (The one in Shire/Tookland) but some of them are terribly designed borefests (Ford of Bruinen or whatever it is called. ELLADAN STOP PULLING EVERY MOB ON THE MAP, JESUS CHRIST!) and your NPC companions are :downs: at best but none of them are particulary hard unless you jack the difficulty up.

Group skirmishes are fun too.

All this talk make me wanna download the client. I can hear it man, :allears:* is calling me.

*for the uninformed :allears: is the EN-RP server Laurelin where weekly gatherings of desert elf vampire lords are held regularly.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Clockwork Beast! posted:

I subbed like a week ago and still don't have any tp. Is that a thing or is there a problem?

Submit a ticket, they sorted me out after a couple of days.

JohnCrichton
Mar 6, 2007
Welcome to the Federation Starship SS Buttcrack.

Remy Marathe posted:

It helps to keep an eye on quest rewards too, the only aesthetically pleasing helmet I've encountered so far came from an intro quest (the flared metal helm). Also some things look less like war-pajamas when you dye them.

The Bro helmet is also pretty good looking. It reminds me of this one time in west philly, that's where I was born and raised, i was playing basketball outside of the school. Along came tough looking guys, they were up to no good I tell you. I got into a fight and boy did that scare my mom. She told me I was to move with relatives.

I hailed a cab with dice in the mirror, I thought "that's rare". I shook it off and told the driver to take me to bel-air. I pulled up to the house during evening, around seven or eight. I shouted to the cab driver to have a good day. I looked at my kingdom I was finally there, to sit on my throne as the prince of bel-air.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

UnholyCow posted:

Instead of running back to the elf starting area you could just go east out of Bree and run around Combe and the woods/marshes. There is plenty of copper/tin there.

Good call on this, although 'plenty' wasn't quite accurate.

Should've bought one of those craft xp boosters. Would've saved me a 2nd trip and 20 minutes.

All done now, though.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Galewolf posted:

Some skirmishes are fun and smooth (The one in Shire/Tookland) but some of them are terribly designed borefests (Ford of Bruinen or whatever it is called. ELLADAN STOP PULLING EVERY MOB ON THE MAP, JESUS CHRIST!) and your NPC companions are :downs: at best but none of them are particulary hard unless you jack the difficulty up.

I did my first Ford of Bruinen the other day with my hunter and it was even better than Defence of the Prancing Pony for standing in one place and shooting crap. Anything I pulled off the NPCs was picked up by my protector soldier, plus I frequently got to see Elrond's horrible spawn get thumped halfway across the zone.

I suppose I should mention I've developed a near-pathological hatred of Elrond from doing the Rivendell and Misty Mountains portions of the epic quest.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Drone posted:

Is that the one that looks kinda like one of the old British helmets from WW1 and 2? I have that on my level 10 captain, looks pretty sweet.
Flared metal helm is pictured here, though I prefer mine in grey:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjdW9zN66vlp-AarXxo-rgyTnfrz--i6AHzOw-oM9idp6ZU4i3CtWcw71DRA

3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat
Rohan seems to be the best expansion since Moria, at least from my perspective.

If you can forgive some of the jankiness of the controls, mounted combat is well-done.

There's so much more content than in RoI, and all of it has been compelling so far. They've gotten better at telling "small stories" and in creating compelling minor characters.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I was noticing earlier on the world map how the Mirkwood and Fangorn areas are grayed out, and we've only seen southern Mirkwood and the eaves of Fangorn. It made me wonder how long they're going to drag things out before we get to see the entire world, we haven't even seen half of it in-game so far and the game is 5 1/2 years old already. It would be super interesting to see a road map of what areas they plan on releasing and when, but I highly doubt they'd ever release such a thing.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

A beautiful sight!

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
It's very easy to make a hobbit look like a red mage from Final Fantasy with a few cosmetics.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Metrohunter posted:

It's very easy to make a hobbit look like a red mage from Final Fantasy with a few cosmetics.

Or a dwarf like Tim the Enchanter.

I'm sure it could be done more accurately.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

Those gloves are fantastic. :allears:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Nothing like Gandalf teleporting you to Rivendell to destroy any idea of what your supposed to be doing. Are the quests there paid dlc?

Is following the book missions and areas a good idea, or should I be striking out on my own about now (lv. 20+)?

Finally found a good looking armour set but I need to be lv 26 to use it as a costume (it's already hopelessly outgunned by my real gear)

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Usually following the epic line is a good idea. There are decent rewards and good exp.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

There's some cases where the epic line has you running all over the place (the Trollshaws part comes to mind) and you'd be fine skipping that portion, but for the most part the equipment you get from the epic quests is superior to that of regular quests. In at least a couple cases it'll outfit you with a full set of gear for your level.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If you want level parity with the epics than you should be doing the sidequests in the areas with them, but if you don't mind being a few levels behind them most of the time just run them.

I mind, so I will never be more than one or two levels behind the epic line, and even then it bothers me a lot.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Oxphocker posted:

Usually following the epic line is a good idea. There are decent rewards and good exp.

Do I need to go full on exploring as well, though? Like, pick a point on the compass and follow it? Can I leave that till later or will I find myself wildly overlevelled?

How fast does the game want me to progress the 'story'.

I genuinely don't like when they try to involve the fellowship in stuff. It just feels naff to have them all hanging out in one guest room in Rivendell while I get my poo poo together trampling round the country.

Do we use spoilers here?

Strider in the prancing pony was alright, cause he's supposed to be waiting around, I guess. But then Gandalf hangs out in his room when he's probably got better stuff to do and ugh

I'm just some elf from Lindon who pissed off some crazy dwarves, man.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
The fellowship just sat around planning for several months (a year?) before they left Rivendell in the books, it wasn't a quick thing like in the movies.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought you were talking about Gandalf hanging around in Rivendell. He didn't used to hang out in Bree at all, but they wanted to add some star power when they revamped some early quest progression.

Progress the story as fast as you like. If you don't do side quests you might/probably will start to be under-leveled for them.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 1, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Anyway you need to use your imagination to let time expand and contract a bit; it's not a realtime game. The Epics are what advance time fellowship-wise and as far as world events, between each you can do any number of side quests, adventures etc. The game has no real intended timetable for you.

If it really bothers you that Gandalf's waiting in a room for you to take a quest, go do what he needs; at some point you will get a "travel here" or "go see what's up with this ranger" quest. Have your adventures between those and count it as travel time as authors often do in books. Also I can assure you that the big players do have more important poo poo to do, and will mostly be off somewhere doing it. You weave in and out of their tale and are generally someone they send on missions when they cross your path; things that are important to their minds but that they don't have time for given their own missions.

It's your first playthrough and you seem concerned with tale consistency, so just do what feels right for your character and if you do find yourself over- or under-leveled, concoct some consistent reason to go account for it. Buford wanted me to journey to the Blood Forest but the spiders kicked my rear end; so I spent a season as a mercenary for the town guard to learn some tricks.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
'Really bothers me' is maybe stretching it. There's just a few things here and there that stretch my imagination, and I'd prefer they'd just written around.

I'm not really an mmo guy. Played an hour of wow, a couple of ultima, and that's about it. A lot of this is weird and different to me.

I'm used to save/reloading when the story doesn't go my way.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
So where are they story wise at this point into the game? Does the expansion Riders of Rohan lead up to the battle of Helms deep or has the story evolved past that?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
The story is currently about a quarter of the way or less through the Two Towers, just before Gandalf rouses Theoden out of Saruman's control. Merry and Pippin are with Treebeard, and the Entmoot should be just about to happen if it hasn't already.

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 2, 2013

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

The developers have stated that LOTRO won't end when the story gets to the ring being destroyed. I think that's when the game will become even more interesting. I doubt they're going to have us in Mordor earlier than three years from now.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It'll be a while before we get to the 4th Age stuff, hopefully we get some really cool stuff from it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ruffz posted:

The developers have stated that LOTRO won't end when the story gets to the ring being destroyed. I think that's when the game will become even more interesting. I doubt they're going to have us in Mordor earlier than three years from now.

Will the game still be going by then?

Serious question, know nothing about mmos.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
No one here can possibly answer that.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How much lore is there for the 4th age? Is it something they can have free reign with or is it still pretty stringent like where we currently are? I like how deep the lore goes right now and I'd hate for that to disappear.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

There is a lot of very general information about the 4th age but it is nowhere near as fleshed out as the 3rd. I would be interested to see where they take it if they get there because it would let the players take more of a center stage in what happens.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

sassassin posted:

Will the game still be going by then?

Serious question, know nothing about mmos.

Given that it's going to be 6 years old in April and is supposedly making Turbine more money than ever, I think we can assume it will be around for several more years.

AlliterateAnimal
Apr 1, 2010

Find me a drum that
I might live again!
Decided to come check the game out after a year or two of inactivity. Could I get an invite on Silverlode as Kanthin?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

How much lore is there for the 4th age? Is it something they can have free reign with or is it still pretty stringent like where we currently are? I like how deep the lore goes right now and I'd hate for that to disappear.

If I remember correctly, Tolkien had plans to write something with the children of the characters in LotR, but died before he could really get started. So I imagine there's some notes of his at least floating around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Radio! posted:

If I remember correctly, Tolkien had plans to write something with the children of the characters in LotR, but died before he could really get started. So I imagine there's some notes of his at least floating around.

He had plans to write a book called The New Shadow set in the 4th age about evil cults rising in Gondor after the fall of Mordor, but abandoned it after writing a few pages as depressing.

http://www.tolkiengateway.net/wiki/The_New_Shadow

Most of the rest are fragments; the ending appendixes of Return of the King have the most of any source in describing Fourth Age events; basically, Aragorn lived a century after the Ring quest and reunited Gondor and Arnor, and subdued the Easterlings all the way to Rhun. The Elves all sail West, the Hobbits rule over an expanded Shire, everyone lives happily ever after doing mail and pie quests.

Or for a laugh, you could consult this work of revisionist history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Ringbearer

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 2, 2013

• Locked thread