Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Brigdh posted:

If you are seriously looking for a FD, I know one that is basically a collectors item, '93 base with 10k miles on it and it looks like it just rolled off the assembly line for $25k
Yeah, I'm not actually that serious. I just like window shopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I know I'm supposed to hate ABS, but I happen to like it on my S5 TII after I went autocrossing Saturday for the first time after fixing the pump. It really seems to have fixed the twitchyness between actually breaking and the fronts completely locked up, and it didn't seem to freak out over R-comp tires.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Apparently redesigning the spark plug holes in the housing causes the EGTs to drop by 600 degrees: http://www.mazdamovement.com/rotary-engine-breakthrough/

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Brigdh posted:

Apparently redesigning the spark plug holes in the housing causes the EGTs to drop by 600 degrees: http://www.mazdamovement.com/rotary-engine-breakthrough/

While his theories sound interesting, he didn't back it up with anything but his logical analysis of what he did and why. The offset combustion chamber thing is complete bull though.Simply put, pressure doesn't work that way. Also don't spark plugs perform terribly if they are shrouded by either the head or a foreign object? I'm reasonably sure that is proven, however I'm not certain.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Are those chatter marks on the housing modded to use slot holes? There's no way he ever ran that welded offset divot rotor, right?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

kimbo305 posted:

Are those chatter marks on the housing modded to use slot holes? There's no way he ever ran that welded offset divot rotor, right?

I can only imagine that vibrated more than usual. I also wouldn't be surprised if that is one of the reasons its centered, other than having a uniform combustion.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Wasn't Mazda going to use laser ignition in the 16x? With lasers you could do away with the plug hole entirely, and have the lens flush with the sidewall.

Also, I thought that the big reason rotaries had low compression was that apex seals are held to the sidewalls with mostly centrifugal force, and the side seals were just springs.

If that mangled rotor ever ran in an engine, I'd say low EGT's were a result of it barely working. :doh:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
"Lexus" mechanic hasn't figured out why there's two spark plugs per rotor and why the bottom one fires first...
High EGT is because the rotor is always making power, no "rolling stroke" so to speak and overlap of the inlet and exhaust.
Edit: I think they were looking at the wrong side of the housing personally.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 7, 2013

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Brigdh posted:

I know I'm supposed to hate ABS, but I happen to like it on my S5 TII after I went autocrossing Saturday for the first time after fixing the pump. It really seems to have fixed the twitchyness between actually breaking and the fronts completely locked up, and it didn't seem to freak out over R-comp tires.

People like hating on ABS because they think they're better drivers then they actually are.

ABS also has a nice side effect of saving your tires from becoming octagons if you're a cone chaser.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

According to the video, he ran a prototype, so I assume that included the rotor. I noticed the chatter marks too, but more or less assumed that could be fixed via refinement. The balance on that thing has to be all screwed up. Theres no real details on if he ran the modifications independently (how does he know what effects each modification had) but the housing shown appeared to be tailored to the new rotor design.

I think he made a lot of assumptions about rotor design and how combustion actually works, which don't hold up in reality.

Octopus Magic posted:

ABS also has a nice side effect of saving your tires from becoming octagons if you're a cone chaser.

Pretty much the exact reason why I put effort into repairing the pump when no rebuild or replacement option existed.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Brigdh posted:

Seems to be about $2k under the market value for beat up FDs around me, and I think I see rust on the interior (WTF?), so something seems up. Assuming the engine is good, and the rust is just a bad picture, you'd probably have to still refresh the entire suspension, probably want to refresh the rats nest, maybe address some cooling issues FDs are known for, and a bunch of maintenance items that you'd normally have to do for a 19 year old car.

If you are seriously looking for a FD, I know one that is basically a collectors item, '93 base with 10k miles on it and it looks like it just rolled off the assembly line for $25k

Tell me more... Color code/Interior?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

the spyder posted:

Tell me more... Color code/Interior?

SSM w/ black leather interior. If you have an email address I can send you a link to where I saw it. I'd PM it to you, but it looks like you don't have PMs (or I can't figure out how to PM you, one of the two).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I swear I just saw the same car listed for $28k, which lead me to autotrader/rx7club...

Which found me this: http://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generation-rx-7-1993-2002-vehicles-107/1994-rx-7-%244000-obo-1025440/

1994 Montego Blue Base, 5spd, 60k $4k- needs some sideswipe repair done. Wooooot.

If he still has it, I will pick it up.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

The one I'm thinking of is in Colorado, so I'm not sure if its the same as what you've seen.

$4k for an FD? drat that's really tempting

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The other thing I wanted to ask about from that night chasing the NSX -- I was going up a decent grade on the highway, at 70+. I didn't really need to accelerate; just wanted to stay at speed. But that was enough load for the turbo to decide to start spooling at just under 3k. At that speed and throttle, it was very easy to go in and out of that initial boost. Pulsing like that is extra wear and tear on the turbo, right? Is the only way to avoid it to cruise at a different RPM or to accelerate and decelerate out of that zone? I've only had one other turbo car and I remember it being less sensitive to minute throttle changes at part load.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

SocketSeven posted:

...Also, I thought that the big reason rotaries had low compression was that apex seals are held to the sidewalls with mostly centrifugal force, and the side seals were just springs....

Actually the side seals and apex seals use combustion process gas and pressure to do the sealing. The whole method of sealing the combustion chamber using the gas's, which are the reason for side seal and apex seal grove clearances and there tolerances, are what F. Wankel designed before he even began work on the Wankel. I believe that the sealing matrix holds its own patent as well.

Some German torpedo's used the same sealing matrix in a rotary valve setup to create low profile heads allowing the motors to fit in said torpedo's aswell.

Its my understanding the springs are in place just for initial sealing, IE starting.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

rotard posted:

Actually the side seals and apex seals use combustion process gas and pressure to do the sealing. The whole method of sealing the combustion chamber using the gas's, which are the reason for side seal and apex seal grove clearances and there tolerances, are what F. Wankel designed before he even began work on the Wankel. I believe that the sealing matrix holds its own patent as well.

Some German torpedo's used the same sealing matrix in a rotary valve setup to create low profile heads allowing the motors to fit in said torpedo's aswell.

Its my understanding the springs are in place just for initial sealing, IE starting.

I'm not a rotary guru but what you said makes sense and is probably correct.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Need a little air cooled rotary? It seems they are common engines in UAVs.

http://www.uavenginesltd.co.uk/

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Is the 12A electronic distributor worth anything? I have one I got from a pile or scrapped rotary parts, anyone want it?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of FDs, I saw this on Craigslist and it looked pretty so me so I thought Id share it.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/3616169105.html

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Time to make this thread a little more exciting.

I spy with my eye, something that is triangular.

Started the initial design for a rotary.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

DJ Commie posted:

Is the 12A electronic distributor worth anything? I have one I got from a pile or scrapped rotary parts, anyone want it?

The two ignitors on the side of it are worth a stupid amount.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
End of today and it looks like a rotary already. Hell of a lot easier than a V8.

DirkDonkeyroot
Feb 25, 2007
Any of you AI goons around the Shreveport, La area need FB parts there's this guy.

https://www.joserotary.com/

He's got about 30 of the things in various states of repair in his shop to be sold/parted out.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

rcman50166 posted:

Time to make this thread a little more exciting.

I spy with my eye, something that is triangular.

Started the initial design for a rotary.

Did you stick with a traditional R/E ratio? or go off the beaten path? I can't quite make out the radius's other then the center eccentricity.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

So does anyone know how much a front subframe for an FB is and how hard it is to swap in :suicide:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

rotard posted:

Did you stick with a traditional R/E ratio? or go off the beaten path? I can't quite make out the radius's other then the center eccentricity.

It is a standard eccentricity. I'm not about to go and mess up an already complicated geometery. The math on torchoids is awful. It's actually a lot easier to learn about it visually. Below is the full size image link:

http://i.imgur.com/4uke3kf.jpg

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
My FD has the habit of engaging ABS at low speeds when rolling up on a stop. It makes my but pucker when I overshoot the stop by a foot or so. It doesnt happen all the time. It is very random. What's up?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Aeka 2.0 posted:

My FD has the habit of engaging ABS at low speeds when rolling up on a stop. It makes my but pucker when I overshoot the stop by a foot or so. It doesnt happen all the time. It is very random. What's up?

Cracked ring(s).

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
So today I test drove the FC RX-7 that I posted in the Craigslist Gold thread.

I'm looking for a relatively reliable but still fun DD.

Guy has lowered his asking price to $3k. It looks relatively unmolested. Holy hell, what an 80's interior. The crazy switches and knobs really threw me for a loop. Seller also offered to let me schedule an independent inspection and take the car to it myself which was pretty cool of him.

It was my first time looking into the engine bay of a rotary, there were a few electrical connectors that looked like they weren't connected but what do I know.

Summary of known issues:
Motor replaced in 2000 @ 52K miles (car now has 132K) by a Mazda dealership. He has paperwork that he can get me on that if needed.
Sunroof stuck in closed position
Minor electrical problems
-Passenger window control switch broken (apparently his dad busted it by trying too hard while the lockout was on)
-Antenna stuck in up position
-Windshield wipers only work in medium setting
-Rear windshield wipers nonfunctional
-Head Unit only plays front & rear speakers (not door). But all speakers are non-original, so unsure where issue is.
Stick definitely has that "stirring the soup" feeling I was warned about by Motronic
Exhaust replaced about 2 years ago, looks relatively cheap, already has a little rust
Alternator replaced 1 year ago
Headlamp switch replaced 2 years ago

Cosmetic:
I don't really like the burgundy color he had it painted. Cheap MAACO job, 2 years old, originally was silver.
Some nicks and dings in the paint and a scrape up front.
The windshield wipers are rusted out but I imagine that's a quick swap.

Front suspension felt good driving over bumpy asphalt, didn't really get to throw it into curves, I didn't get above 3rd gear on the test drive.

Tomorrow morning I am going to test drive a 2001 Miata with 49K miles that the guy is asking $6k for. Depending on how much I like that, I may or may not end up making an offer on the RX7.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Sir Cornelius posted:

Cracked ring(s).

I suppose they are original. Ugh, guess I'll take a look over the weekend.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tyro posted:

Tomorrow morning I am going to test drive a 2001 Miata with 49K miles that the guy is asking $6k for. Depending on how much I like that, I may or may not end up making an offer on the RX7.

2K at best for that RX7.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

The other thing I wanted to ask about from that night chasing the NSX -- I was going up a decent grade on the highway, at 70+. I didn't really need to accelerate; just wanted to stay at speed. But that was enough load for the turbo to decide to start spooling at just under 3k. At that speed and throttle, it was very easy to go in and out of that initial boost. Pulsing like that is extra wear and tear on the turbo, right? Is the only way to avoid it to cruise at a different RPM or to accelerate and decelerate out of that zone? I've only had one other turbo car and I remember it being less sensitive to minute throttle changes at part load.

Anyone?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Interesting question: the rotary in my RX4 is completely borked; water seals are gone and the champagne test results in a nice geyser of coolant. Everything I can find about the US-market cars is that they ran a 13B throughout their production run. Is any 13B a plug-and-play affair as far as the motor's concerned? Basically, can I swap in a 13B from a late-model RX7 (not doing any sort of fuel injection swap, just gonna re-use the carb'd intake system)?

Also, since RX4-specific parts aren't exactly falling from the ol' scrapyard tree, what would be a good radiator replacement for an auto RX4? There's an eventual plan for a full powertrain swap for the 5-speed (dream swap's a 20B with side-draft carbs because I'm mentally deficient, enjoy carburetors, and have a sick desire to maintain that manual choke in my car) so if there's an option that'll scale up as far as the cooling system goes I'm all for it. Just asking to see if anyone's got experience with RX4s or if I'm treading somewhat new ground here.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

A 13B swap of what you are thinking of probably won't work like what you want. First, Second, and Third gen RX-7s all had 13B engines of some kind, yet its non-trival to swap them around as motor mount designs changed, longblock items changed, hell even things like the crank angle sensor changed. The RX4 probably uses something like a distributor for ignition with a gear dropping into the front cover, yet all FD engines (as far as I'm aware) used a VR sensor off the main pulley (similar to how most ABS sensors work), so converting that will not be trivial.

You are probably better off pulling the engine, and sending it out to someone for rebuild instead of trying to hack up some kind of swap (but if you go ahead with the swap, I'd be quite interested in how it goes)

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

I hunted around for an answer if that would be excessive turbo wear or not, but didn't find anything. I'm inclined to think that if the turbo is in good condition, it may be a little bit of wear, but not enough to put significant effort to avoid it. I know there is a hill I drive on every couple of weeks that does the same thing, but its only for half a mile, so I mostly rationalize my concern away.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I think I might need to start a new thread of my own again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Looks like there's a lot of empty space that could be more RX7s there.

Maybe you could get an FC or something to mix it up a little.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

the spyder posted:

I think I might need to start a new thread of my own again.

Nah, just dump it here. Maybe you'll post more :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Looks like there's a lot of empty space that could be more RX7s there.

Maybe you could get an FC or something to mix it up a little.

I just kicked a S5 out at friend was storing, haha.
See the block infront of the red FD? That's the corner marker for a 30x48 shop going up. The joke right now is that there is already a line for the new shop. Three of the FD's should be going away this month. Fingers crossed!

• Locked thread