Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Hurt69420
Dec 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

All I've got is worst:

A classmate of mine had the last name "Gaylord" ; surprisingly he didn't get made fun of much for it.

This is second hand, but an aunt of mine was a teacher and on the first day, during roll-call, came across the name Le-a. After several attempts by my aunt at pronunciations like "Luh ah" the student bobbed her head & wagged her finger at her and said "nu uh, its LEDASHA, the dash isn't silent!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

sets off a "weirdly specific fetish artwork" vibe

Did she bob her head and wag her finger in that way all crazy black women do with their funny names?

Hurt69420
Dec 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

massive spider posted:

Did she bob her head and wag her finger in that way all crazy black women do with their funny names?

Yikes... I have no idea if she was black, and I'd be surprised if that was more than a harmful stereotype.

Gabriel Pope
May 16, 2009

diggle zone

Hurt69420 posted:

Yikes... I have no idea if she was black, and I'd be surprised if that was more than a harmful stereotype.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that one's an urban legend.

Also there's already a thread for terrible names.

EDIT: the most recent page of that thread actually discusses the same urban legend

GiantAmazonianOtter
Apr 4, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

Ruxton Noble was a pretty good one I got when I managed a subscription database. I actually spoke to him once and he had a most excellent voice too.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski

I also have racist relatives

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

OP that second one is the biggest trap for closet racists, as other posters have pointed out.

Puddin
Apr 8, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Hurt69420 posted:

All I've got is worst:

A classmate of mine had the last name "Gaylord" ; surprisingly he didn't get made fun of much for it.

My brother works in a government call centre for assisted living and one of the regulars that calls up is Gaylord Grogan.

He say's it takes all it has for him to not laugh when he calls up.

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.

When I was in High School, there was a student a few years below me called "Max Wang". As it turned out, he was exceptionally good at maths, and won a few awards and the like. Stuff they like to mention during school assembly.

The cheers he got every time he went up on stage were pretty wild. I guess that counts at both the Best and Worst name I know.

pug wearing a hat
May 29, 2012

please allow me to introduce myself i'm a man of wealth and taste

Hurt69420 posted:

This is second hand, but an aunt of mine was a teacher and on the first day, during roll-call, came across the name Le-a. After several attempts by my aunt at pronunciations like "Luh ah" the student bobbed her head & wagged her finger at her and said "nu uh, its LEDASHA, the dash isn't silent!".

Did your aunt also teach Lemonjello and Orangejello?

ulilileeloo dallas
Nov 20, 2008

This thread already exists gently caress you OP

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Kid in my elementary school was named Harry Balls, III.

Also in my organization there's a guy named Tung Dong.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

When I worked in a video rental store about a decade ago, we had a customer who opened an account. His name was Viking Kristjánsson, and the first thing I thought was that if I could pick someone to be on my side in a fight based on name alone, it'd be that.

He never came in again, but I'll always remember that name.

Hurt69420
Dec 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pug wearing a hat posted:

Did your aunt also teach Lemonjello and Orangejello?

Not that I know of. Were you in a class with another "Le-a" or something?

cucurbit
Feb 23, 2009

Our neighbors have given their kids awesome names:
Gavin (8 years old)
Petra Dane (6 years old)
Charles Maximillian *last name* the Third (4 years old)
Ekaterine (2 years old)
and Jack Vincent (9 months old)

All of them are really sweet natured little kids, supremely polite and well behaved, but they have names of steel .

As for worst names, I have a great uncle named Richard Butt, who went by Dick for years, and named his son Randy Butt. I wish I was kidding.

edit: ugh, the frigging LeDasha and Orangelo/Lemongelo stories. I've heard at least five people in real life tell me they know a guy who knew a guy who knew kids with those names, and I'll always think a little less of the people that believe the stories.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007
I need sleep more than braaaaaaains...

Hurt69420 posted:

God you are just the worst.

Viktor Deathrage is still the best name I have ever seen.

ulilileeloo dallas
Nov 20, 2008

Hurt69420 posted:

Go home OP you're not cut out for this "posting" business

I hope somebody trots out the "my _____ taught a kid in the witness protection program and the name he was given was Flanel Pajama" or somebody with the last name "Female" pronounced femahly

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Things are going to be okay.

Armand Hammer

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Through moonlight and shadow she'd prowl and she'd pry.

Hurt69420 posted:

You reckon?

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Mu Zeta posted:

Armand Hammer

Aziz Ansari

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Armand Hammer

Anita Fallace

Hadrians Dong
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
NOBUTTER

There's a french dude at work named "Coquegrabber" which is what I understand to be like a french version of the name Smith or Shoemaker or something like that which evolved out of job titles. Also at the co-op where I frequent the girl who sells fruit is named "Bonerhitler."

Hurt69420
Dec 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Francostein posted:

Also at the co-op where I frequent the girl who sells fruit is named "Bonerhitler."

Hahaha goddamn. That's German or something I'm guessing?

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Giant Dick MacJones.

He was one of the Aberdeen MacJoneses.

Hadrians Dong
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
NOBUTTER

Hurt69420 posted:

I hear it's cajun for "this is a dumb thread"

Feats of Strength
Feb 9, 2012

Man, If god told me to sacrifice my son I'd tell
him to fuck off.

Ali Raper, yes that is someone's actual name

HoboZero
Apr 19, 2008

MORON

In the Marines I got assigned temp duty with both a Cpl. Beer and PFC Boisuk. Pronounced 'Bwah-sook', of course, but come on, dude. Your name looks like BoySuck.

Hurt69420
Dec 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Francostein posted:

I hear it's cajun for "this is a dumb thread"

I'm not sure if you're joking or not (you probably are), but if you are I recommend you vote 1 and move on...

TheModernAmerican
Aug 31, 2011

My W will never let you into the endzone!

Hurt69420 posted:

Are you real?

Hovermoose
Jul 27, 2010

Max Fightmaster has a pretty kickin' rad name. Best part of it is that his title lends itself so well to the whole picture: Staff Sergeant Max Fightmaster.

Trot_to_Trotsky
Dec 9, 2000
Must... Destroy... Capitalism...

In my previous career, I managed a government office that handled all of the birth certificates for the county government. Every December I would write a press release to the newspapers about the most common names of the previous year. These were always something like Jayden or Jaden or Jaeden or Jaiden.

But the database we had would also let me search the least common names. Besides all of the unique spellings of otherwise common names, the best I remember finding were Flamur which is just awful, but not nearly as bad as the gold standard of terrible names: Oinkon.

As I remember, both of their parents were Bangladeshi, but I couldn't find any linguistic or cultural basis for either name. I feel really bad, too, because the county where I'm from is whitey whitesville and horribly xenophobic.

Sorry, unfortunately named Bangladeshi kids

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012

Hurt69420 posted:

From the latin root "Weedlord"

Anatharon
Aug 6, 2010

I met a guy called Hurtsixninefourtwozero once.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009

Maybe I got time to figure out how to de-spirit a toaster.

I had to ship out thousands of envelopes to folk along with my labmates and we made a list of our favorite names. I don't recall all of them offhand, but we were all quite fond of Dick Ploof.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

Michael Torris lived in my freshman year dorm hall.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I once knew a girl on another forum whose name was China Moon Rockett.

...she was a cool girl, everyone liked her

HoboZero posted:

In the Marines I got assigned temp duty with both a Cpl. Beer and PFC Boisuk. Pronounced 'Bwah-sook', of course, but come on, dude. Your name looks like BoySuck.
I'll have you know there is a Scottish town called Boysack and we were all VERY proud of it thank you

(though it IS pronounced "bow-sack")

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007
Far from perfect, but better than you...

Dick Assman. Was a pretty chill guy too. I went into his gas station occasionally before and after he was on TV.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

All that you have found is your inevitable punishment.

Chanandler Bong.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski

Fred Repeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Hurt69420 posted:

Yeah, you wouldn't know anything about that would you

«2 »