Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WillBBC3
Sep 24, 2010

Quick note for anybody in the DC Area. The South Korean embassy has free movie nights the second and fourth Thursday of every month. They did My Way this month.

DC Korean Film Festival begins 3/1 as well. Tons of free movies for about seven weeks at the Smithsonian Institution. A handful of paid ones at well at AFI Silver. The director of Thirst will be in town doing a Q and A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

WillBBC3 posted:

The director of Thirst will be in town doing a Q and A.

That's awesome, someone go and post about it.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
I'm writing my dissertation on SK Cinema, so this thread's been great for filling in any gaps. I'd seen a lot of the films mentioned but some that I've never heard of in here sound really great, so just chiming in to say thanks for cluing me onto them. Great thread guys.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Speaking of Park Chan-Wook (Thirst), Stoker is getting some mixed reviews, but a lot of critics (the ones I pay attention to anyway) seem to really love it, like Ebert. I haven't read much about it yet and I think I'm going to keep it that way. It's "limited" release right now unfortunately, which means good luck if you don't live in NY, LA or the other city that I'm forgetting.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
I saw it last night at the Museum of the Moving Image and quite liked it, even more than some of his other films, but then I'm also of the opinion that the gore in his movies is a bit TOO gratuitous at times (the tongue-cutting scene in Oldboy, for example). I really want to see it again, actually. Probably my favorite movie of his so far. But I can see why some wouldn't like it, particularly if they're expecting something in particular from his other movies and aren't getting it. I wasn't going in with any expectations in particular and ended up quite happy with it.

Libertad
Mar 3, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I loved Thirst and Oldboy and was really hyped for Stoker.

Unfortunately it's such limited release so it looks like I won't be able to see it for months.

Why did they do that? Why not try to to see if it catches on mainstream?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Limited release is its own form of marketing. Few theaters means that everyone who really wants to see the film will flock to them, resulting in really high per-screen averages. Those people in turn spread word of mouth praise to friends and online, hopefully hyping up the casual viewer when the film eventually goes wider.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

...a lot of critics (the ones I pay attention to anyway) seem to really love it, like Ebert.

I got to the facebook joke then scrolled up to see who the review was really written by. It's Roeper. Most of the reviews on Ebert's site are by guests right now, as he's currently dealing with surgery.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 4, 2013

Infestasyde
Mar 6, 2004
I liked Stoker, but predictably felt that it fell a little bit short of his other films. It's nice that it's an actual 18 certificate film and it doesn't feel watered down, but i'd have it at around a JSA kind of level. It has a few memorable scenes and i'd definitely entertain the idea that it might get better on a second and third viewing.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I've just seen Stoker and I think it's my favourite of his so far although I've only seen the Vengeance trilogy so take that with a pinch of salt. It was amazingly crafted and you can see a lot of thought went into it, really showed his talent. The atmosphere was crushingly well built and the performances from the main three actors were all superb.

Libertad
Mar 3, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
All you people saying good things are making me cry inside.

Just put it out on bluray end of the month!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

At the Korean box office Stoker is pulling in about the same numbers that Cloud Atlas did, and has a comparable screen presence. Interesting to consider, given that in the United States Cloud Atlas was much more heavily marketed. Although in the abstract sense, I think about as many people would enjoy either movie. Unless they were being stupid and went into Cloud Atlas expecting to see explosions.

I don't personally recommend Two Weddings and a Funeral because it's rather uneven, but it's worth noting here if only because it's a gay film. The gay film industry in South Korea puts out one or two movies each year that run the local art house theater circuit. They're interesting in that, relative to gay American films, they're less concerned with abstract notions of homosexuality and more with the day-to-day life of actual gays and the discrimination they face. The plot of this particular movie? It's about a gay guy and a lesbian getting married so she can adopt a kid with her lesbian partner. But most of the actual story is a romantic comedy-drama about the gay guy with this new gay in town. There's also this gay choir that they hang out with. And there's social commentary. The idea is more interesting than the execution in my opinion, but someone might find the concept to be enough, so here it is.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

This week I'll be reviewing The Good, the Bad, and the Weird and Treeless Mountain. I feel disappointed in myself. They're both good movies, but they're also relatively well-known in the English speaking world. I'm kind of surprised the website didn't already have reviews for them, honestly, but this is what I'm stuck with until I'm back in Korea and have access to the more local stuff again. Oh well.

Green Days: Dinosaur and I

Like this, for example. We don't hear much about Korean animated films because for the most part they don't exist. There's not much of a market for them, although the Korean voice actors are always on the promotional posters. This one's no different. Although the vocal talent is reasonably well-known, Green Days was mostly limited to the art house circuit. Which is a real shame- this is a beautiful story about a girl's emotional maturation that has surprisingly little to do with romance, or even friendship. Personally, I can't help but love a movie with a moral that can be directly applied to the real world, regardless of the viewer's personal life situation.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

This week, I'd like to discuss the way box office numbers work in South Korea. This infographic is a little out of date (Miracle in Cell Number 7 is now at #3 all time), but it has useful information:

Korean box office numbers are based off of admissions rather than ticket prices. So, for the sake of perspective, multiply by 8 (how much a ticket costs) and again by 6 (South Korea has about a sixth the population of the United States) and The Host's all-time gross is around 625 million dollars. On the local cultural scale, it was as big a movie event as The Avengers was in the United States.

A significant difference in the Korean box office, though, is that the top-ranked films get there, not through an overpowering opening weekend followed by diminishing returns, but through word-of-mouth. The Thieves is the only movie listed here that studios were expecting to hit numbers this high, and even it only opened with 3 million admissions in its opening weekend. The other 10 were on the strength of its legs.

Miracle in Cell Number 7 is a good example of a typical breakout hit, as it's a comedic melodrama with no major studio pushing or major stars as headliners. It's at the place where it is solely its popularity spread, and its performance over the past couple of months has been pretty consistent, as the chart demonstrates.

As you can see, this culture has resulted in a bit more of an eclectic top 5. There's as many historical costume dramas on the list as there are summer blockbusters. Funny thing- I did not realize that Masquerade and The King and the Clown had near identical posing in their posters until I saw this graphic. Also, that The King and the Clown is on here at all is pretty weird, considering how it's about gay street performers.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 22, 2013

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
I seem to be the only person in this thread thus far that thought Stoker was poo poo. First of all, the choices used for shots were rather odd and as well as the framing. I find it difficult to describe, but many scenes had characters framed with a hell of a lot of head room and wide shots with two characters speaking to one another rather than cutting back and forth. It just looked very awkward to me. The cinematography as a whole was rubbish, really. I am surprised no one else has mentioned this. There are a few neat/stylized shots, but it isn't enough to make up for the rest of it.

xzoto1 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 23, 2013

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

I thought they put The King and the Clown twice those posters are so similar. How is Masquerade?

King Gonorrhea
Feb 11, 2008

Son of Ass Pharaoh
I lived in Japan for a couple years and was aware that all the middle aged women loved the Korean television dramas, but I never knew their film was so good. About 8 months ago I stumbled on a Korean film on youtube that I loved, and have been watching a lot of K movies since, but I haven't seen anyone mention it here.

2005 romance - My Girl and I

You all seem so knowledgable that it not being mentioned makes me think it might be terrible, haha. Someone go watch it and back me up so I know whether I'm on to something here.

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010
I've recently started getting into Korean horror. I've been finding it very refreshing given the general stagnation of the American scene. So far I have seen:

White: The Melody of the Curse: This was the first movie I saw. I found it while searching through Hulu for horror movies, and was struck by the visuals in the preview images. It's the first time in a long, long time I've seen a horror movie that had a point to make that wasn't about the genre itself (it's also a deconstruction of the Korean Idol industry.) The cinematography was great, the titular song is catchy which is good as it is played constantly throughout the movie, and the movie does a great job of keeping an unsettling atmosphere even when it isn't gearing up for a scare. The plot's a little weak and is largely lifted strait from the Ring, but the dialog is good and the technicality of the movie make up for the formulaic script. It also has the honor of being the only horror moive in the fifteen or so years I've been into the genre that has given me nightmares.

Yoga: This one was weak. An anemic, predictable plot leads into a weak ending. It has several great creepy scenes, but they don't make up for the hour of boredom between them.

Cinderella: There are some really great visuals in this movie and when the movie is trying to build tension it does it well. There's not much else to it though. It wasn't a bad movie; it just didn't catch with me.

Face: This one blew me away, I would hesitate to call it horror, it's more of a crime drama with supernatural elements thrown in to enhance the tension. The protagonists are very likable, and they carry the movie well. The story is captivating and paces itself well , and the twist at the end completely caught me of guard. If it has a weakness it's that the supernatural element could have largely been lifted from the movie with out affecting it and for the most part they feel very superfluous.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Cross posting from the Stoker Thread since I loved the film so much.

Chichevache posted:

I just saw this film last night and absolutely loved it. Mia Wasikowska portrayed India in an amazingly dangerous way. Matthew Goode? Holy poo poo. I am not really familiar with him as an actor but after this I feel the urge to go through his prior works and see if he is that incredible in other films. Both of these characters constantly had a sense of violence simmering just beneath the surface and it made for an incredibly tense film.

One point I feel has not been mentioned enough is the portrayal of India and Charlie as superhumans. Their senses are all heightened to the point that they couldn't really relate to others anymore. The sound of a spider walking was audible to India. I feel this played very well into their inability to become physically close to others. Both were so sensitive that it became overwhelming when they were touched. It seemed to me that as the spider climbed India's thigh she was able to enjoy it physically because of how slight and delicate its touch was. Just another way they tied violence, danger, and sex together.

xzoto1 posted:

I thought the film was poo poo and this is coming from a big Chan-wook Park fan. The script felt too muddled and the only "almost" saving grace was Park in the directors seat because of his unique style.

As for the cinematography, I thought it was distracting for the most part. The way the shots were framed was awkward. There seems to be an abundance of head room for the actors/actresses and many wide shots with two characters interacting simultaneously without cutting back and forth. It was literally the first thing I noticed in the film and it really pulled my focus away.

I think this ties into my earlier point. You are supposed to be off balance and distracted by the visuals. The sights and sounds are meant to be too intense and distracting, just as they are for India. The director lets you into her mind by giving you her abilities. By doing this he lets you feel just as assaulted by the constant intake of visual and aural information that India is. I personally thought it was brilliantly handled.

I wouldn't recommend this film to everyone, but if you enjoy Nicholas Winding Refn films like Drive or Valhalla Rising you may enjoy this. I found the slow burn style before bursting into sudden violence to be very similar. Also if you love intense cinematography and choreography, this film has it. There are multiple scenes composed of nearly minute long single shots that are so beautifully done I am still thinking about them 24 hours later. The scene when India lures Whip into the woods from the playground? Fantastic. The amount of work they put into that shot must have been staggering.

I realize my tastes probably fall out of the mainstream a bit, but I have to give this film a 5/5. It is probably a little early to crown Stoker the best film I'll see in 2013, but I don't think I will see another film that has visuals and sounds as impressive as this one. I really think it deserves an Oscar nod for cinematography.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

TheMaskedChemist posted:

Face: This one blew me away, I would hesitate to call it horror, it's more of a crime drama with supernatural elements thrown in to enhance the tension. The protagonists are very likable, and they carry the movie well. The story is captivating and paces itself well , and the twist at the end completely caught me of guard. If it has a weakness it's that the supernatural element could have largely been lifted from the movie with out affecting it and for the most part they feel very superfluous.
I'm glad to see someone else liked this. I really loved it, but I'm hesitant to recommend it a lot because I can sometimes have terrible taste in movies. I liked the atmosphere and slow build to the reveal, that's one of the things that got me into Korean horror. The way it's done feels more original than most US horror movies lately.

Chichevache posted:

Cross posting from the Stoker Thread since I loved the film so much.
Oh thanks, I missed that thread. I saw the movie this weekend, and was torn, the movie seems to meander a lot. It was gorgeously filmed though and the way they used the sound design was fantastic. I want to see it again to make up my mind.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

I thought they put The King and the Clown twice those posters are so similar. How is Masquerade?

I enjoyed it. What makes the story interesting is that it's a pretty clear allegory for the gulf between how rich people treat leadership and what a normal person actually expects of leaders. I'm kind of surprised I've never seen a Prince and the Pauper story go this way before. Usually it's just comedy about class differences. It's not the greatest movie I've ever seen (and it was way over-represented at the Grand Bell Awards last year, but I can see how it became such a huge hit.

So, has anyone ever gone to a really famous place or city, and just been a little surprised that there wasn't really that much to do there since you don't know anybody? That's what Night and Day is about. The main character is an artist trying to wait out a drug bust by hanging out in France and he spends most his time doing pointless, boring, non-constructive stuff. It's a lot of fun to watch as a comedy because the view toward travelling is just so comically unromantic compared to the way tourist tropes are normally used.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Why is South Korea, specifically, the Asian country putting out the most interesting and well made cinema right now? What happened to the good Chinese filmmakers from 10-15 years ago, did they just fizzle out or lose government support? What of Japan, seems like you don't hear a lot about Japanese film anymore.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Some Guy TT posted:

So, has anyone ever gone to a really famous place or city, and just been a little surprised that there wasn't really that much to do there since you don't know anybody? That's what Night and Day is about. The main character is an artist trying to wait out a drug bust by hanging out in France and he spends most his time doing pointless, boring, non-constructive stuff. It's a lot of fun to watch as a comedy because the view toward travelling is just so comically unromantic compared to the way tourist tropes are normally used.

As someone who has become incredibly jaded towards traveling I am really intrigued by this. Thanks for pointing it out.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Just got done watching The Front Line on Netflix and it has to be the hands down best war movie I have seen in years. The Front Line takes place during "peace" talks in the final months of the Korean war. The story starts with a Korean officer being sent to the front lines to investigate a report of a unit leader being K.I.A. with a bullet to the head from a allied pistol. As you can guess things quickly go down hill from there.

It reminds me of starship troopers or the forever war books where the main characters are put into a impossible situation that looks pretty much like a meat blender where the people freazing there asses off in the trenches have lost all preconception about the political justification for the war. The interesting twist in this one is that it covers the north and the south and the units from both sides tasked with capturing the hill. Both units slog it out and the hill changes hands over 30 times with a twist They start burying food in the bottom of a bunker in the hill and as each side retakes the hill they exchange things, with the peace talks finally signed and the war over....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGBAAKZiUk8 -the trailer really does not do this movie justice

Edit: "loving Pohang"

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 1, 2013

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Zwabu posted:

Why is South Korea, specifically, the Asian country putting out the most interesting and well made cinema right now? What happened to the good Chinese filmmakers from 10-15 years ago, did they just fizzle out or lose government support? What of Japan, seems like you don't hear a lot about Japanese film anymore.

Local Chinese and Japanese movies have also been doing increasingly well at the box office lately. The main difference is that these movies are deliberately tailored for local markets. Korean cinema is unusually broad in that big budget movies are intended for export as part of Hallyu Wave and the more independent pictures are often directed toward international film festivals. I want to say quality is a factor, but I honestly haven't seen enough recent Chinese or Japanese film to know that for sure.

The Bow is a Kim Ki-Duk film about a fisherman who lives on an isolated fishing platform in the middle of nowhere and the sixteen year old girl he's been raising for the past ten years to eventually become his wife. It's a fairy tale. Not one of those sanitized kid's fairy tales, but one where the fairy is a creepy, frightening, yet friendly entity who can't really be understood with human logic.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

So a sequel to The Host, should I just give up waiting and assume its dead?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Only if you want to miss this: http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/first-clip-from-the-korean-sequel-the-host-2-is-chock-full-of-monster-goodness

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Santa?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Fist Of Legend is supposed to be in American theaters now. In theory, anyway. I've seen press releases to that effect but there's no direct information anywhere. I'd guess that they'd be showing at the same theaters that were playing The Berlin File earlier this year, so ask your local AMC Theater, if you have one.

Woman on the Beach is about some filmmaking types who try to respose themselves on a seaside beach. It's a neurotic romantic comedy, but rather than fetishizing the characters' neuroses ala Woody Allen, they're treated as genuine intimacy issues. A lot of it is sheer mockery of overly analytical romantic thinking, which really hits peak when a normal person gets involved in the story. It's intriguing stuff, but be warned that it's a little long and may go down better if seen in parts.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Some Guy TT posted:

The Bow is a Kim Ki-Duk film about a fisherman who lives on an isolated fishing platform in the middle of nowhere and the sixteen year old girl he's been raising for the past ten years to eventually become his wife. It's a fairy tale. Not one of those sanitized kid's fairy tales, but one where the fairy is a creepy, frightening, yet friendly entity who can't really be understood with human logic.
I'm sold, watching this as soon as I get a chance.

On a related note, this inspired me to finally watch The Isle, also by Kim Ki-Duk, a story with a similar setting. It's a movie I'd avoided because the cover art Netflix is using made it look like a late night Cinemax special

"An exhilarating foray into forbidden pleasures!" Seriously, that's the quote they went with?

It's definitely not, it's a meditative and often disturbing story of two damaged people.

He's a very interesting filmmaker, I want to watch more of his work.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
I've only seen one of his films (Samaritan Girl) but I wasn't really paying enough attention to follow it well enough to make a proper judgement on it, which is a bad habit I have when watching stuff on my laptop. His stuff at least always sounds interesting, even if it doesn't seem like something I'd necessarily like (or understand), that I want to check out more of his work. I've been sitting on 3-Iron and Spring, Summer... for a while now. Maybe I'll watch one of those tonight.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

"Sumaria" (Samaritan Girl) is fantastic, but not a great introduction since it's one of his most difficult films; both in terms of being thematically complex and being rife with upsetting content.

On the other hand, "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring" is probably his most accessible film, while "3-Iron" is (in my opinion) his best. So you can't really go wrong either of those. Both do require the audience to be attentive though.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Does anyone think Kim Ki-Duk's films are misogynist? It's a truism I commonly seen thrown about his work in online reviews, where it's written as if it's this totally obvious fact that anybody who's seen a Kim Ki-Duk film should know, but it's never clearly elaborated on. I personally don't see it myself, though I can see how a very superficial reading of the tropes he uses could create this impression.

Time, for example, is about a woman who for misguided reasons decides to undergo radical plastic surgery. To write that this is a film about body image issues is frankly an understatement. The genius here is that Kim Ki-Duk recognizes plastic surgery as being a mere manifestation of cultural insecurities and ideals. The psychological damage it does to both men and women is far more pernicious, and the statement the film makes to that idea is an incredibly powerful. This is, no exaggeration, my favorite film of all time- though I was a Women's Studies major, so take that for what it's worth.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
I just watched 3-Iron last night and I can kiiiiiiinda see where accusations of misogyny would come from, though I think for this film that would be a bit too strong a word. Problematic I can see, maybe veering on benevolent sexism depending on how you want to read it, but misogynist feels like a stretch. It's something that will be on my mind when I watch more of his films though, because I've heard that a lot, too.

Anyway, 3-Iron. It was a fair bit different than I was expecting even knowing the premise. I wasn't expecting my first though afterwards to be about the disenfranchised as ghosts phasing in and out of "our" world. There were a lot really great scenes, and while I think the leads sometimes fell just a little bit short of carrying two wordless performances (should this even be a spoiler? I figure better safe than sorry), I liked it quite a lot.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

So Stoker has started playing at a theater in my city, so maybe it's getting a bit of a wider release now?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I've been covering the Jeonju International Film Festival this week. While I've seen lots of Korean movies, I can't really describe them to you, since I have no idea when or if they'll be available in English subtitles overseas. It'd just be really mean to psych you up for something you might never be able to see. Luckily, one project showcased at the festival is available for English subtitled viewing right this minute- Youth Voice.

The Youth Voice initiative is designed to empower teenagers into making their own short films. I was genuinely really impressed by most of what was showcased at the festival. The films emphasize the stuff that teenagers find really interesting while they're still teenagers. It's a very interesting departure from when adults make films on the same subject. The technique is a little crude, but very impressive considering they were made by teenagers. I very much get the feeling that they actually studied film and seriously thought about the best way to communicate their ideas through the medium. The mistakes are much more from inexperience than outright incompetence.

These were my favorites:

The food that lives in the refrigerator.

Awkward romance talk.

Teenage girls scheme.

How the people teenagers know can actually be really cool.

Let's just say this one lives on in my nightmares and leave it at that.

There's a lot more of these here. They're in the boxes at the bottom. Not all of them have English subtitles, though. Probably only the dozen or so I saw screened.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

So now I'm doing two film reviews a week of currently airing movies in Korean theaters. And my very first week, both of them turn out to be duds. Talk about a disappointment. At least there's still plenty of good Korean movies worth discussing.

Love 911 is a romantic comedy-drama with a remarkably accurate poster. The woman, a doctor named Mi-Soo, aggressively pursues a chronically annoyed firefighter named Kang-Il. The humor comes mainly from the great chemistry between the actors. There are a lot of serious elements at play, but are extremely well-integrated into the story. The character flaws that end up defining most of the movie's drama are the same as the positive character traits that build up most of the comedy, so the characters come as very well-rounded, believable people. I really love the camerawork and set design here, too. The credits have a lot of excellent concept sketches that are replicated near perfectly in the equivalent scenes in-movie. I want to buy a DVD of this just on the off-chance it will contain an art book.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I watched The Chaser.

It was fine. Not bad at all, and reminiscent of some better movies. One of my favorites of all time (Korean or otherwise) is Memories of Murder, partly because of the way it blends tone so effectively. It is immensely difficult to make, for instance, a drama with comedic elements. The Chaser does an OK job of this, though to lesser effect.

It also had a "flawed"/superhero character seeking revenge, a la Oldboy; though again, not as good as that film.

Frankly there were too many deus ex machina moments for me. Of course they keep the story going, but how many unlikely events can your story have before it begins to feel contrived and silly?

Though I can honestly see this movie having an American remake. Whatever that says about this movie -- good, bad, or blockbuster -- at least the Koreans are willing to have an unhappy ending.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

There's an artsy-ish theater not too far from me that's shown a lot of limited release movies before (I saw Stoker there), and I was browsing their showtimes when I came across the latest from Ki-duk Kim, Pieta. I'd never heard of it until now.

Has anyone seen or heard anything about this? I may check it out tomorrow. I keep meaning to watch more of his films, so far I've only seen The Island and part of Bad Guy when it was still streaming on Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Good lord Pieta is an emotional gut punch. I thought I was used to heavy themes in SK film by now but this one floored me. It also contains a couple of the most uncomfortable scenes I've watched in a long while. I highly recommend this if you don't mind feeling drained for a couple hours.

• Locked thread