Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Weíve all heard of mercenary players, such as Pascal Chimbonda and Emmanuel Adebayor (pictured), but what about turncoat fans?

Motivated by something less tangible than money, at least 2 post in this forum that I know of, and I intend to be the third. This thread is a safe haven for all posters to discuss, in frank and forthright detail, the feelings of shame, inadequacy and fundamental need to belong that lies behind changing sides.

Me? Iíve been an Owls fan all my life because my big brother supported them. (Interestingly, he switched to Wednesday aged 12 because Liverpool were doing too well, as ridiculous as that sounds today!)

But since moving to within a mile of White Hart Lane, Iím wondering if itís possible to become a true fan of the Tottenham Hotspurs. To go to their home games, sure. To argue about them online, why not. But ultimately? To care whether they win or lose.

Have you switched teams? How did you do it? How old were you? Do you ever think about the team you abandoned?

Perhaps you are considering making the switch. Here are some common reasons:
Your favourite team was relegated and now they arenít on MOTD
Your teamís new owners are Jews/Arabs/Americans/all three
You donít like the new away kit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

The Archbishop of Banterbury

I don't switch teams I accrue them.

It's like a buffet: why stick to the vol au vents when there are picnic eggs and fondant fancies as well?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Sure but does your heart sink when your more recently adopted teams lose? That's what I'm looking for.

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

Fellow Wednesday fan here, born and raised. I live in the middle of London & have done for the past few years. Im going to see them soon when they visit the Den come February or whenever it is.

Living down here has softened me up a bit, but Im a Yorkshire lad at heart, and I could never bring myself to sit and cheer for any of the London teams. That said I like the Chels & Fulham alot more than I use too. I think thats partly because I had a bit of a crush on Drogba though.

marcadia
Sep 13, 2005

you might consider "switching teams" to GBS

EDIT: i like foreign teams in la liga and bundesliga as well as my domestic team does this make me a bad person op?

GOM
Jan 13, 2001

PWM POTM, September 2013

President & Founding Member of Cardiac Crew (x2)

Why isn't the thread named "The EC:10 Experience?"

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

cadfael posted:

Fellow Wednesday fan here, born and raised. I live in the middle of London & have done for the past few years. Im going to see them soon when they visit the Den come February or whenever it is.

Living down here has softened me up a bit, but Im a Yorkshire lad at heart, and I could never bring myself to sit and cheer for any of the London teams. That said I like the Chels & Fulham alot more than I use too. I think thats partly because I had a bit of a crush on Drogba though.

I thought you were a Chelsea fan based on your posts in this forum.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

SA Champion Supposed Transexual Gangstalker 2014-2105

Became a casual City fan about 5 years ago when my then girlfriend (now wife) randomly picked them out of a league table. The last two seasons I have paid more attention to the league, and while I enjoy success, I seem to be drawn to the pluckiness and determination of United. I don't know, I'm American so I really have no cultural ties to either club, would this be frowned upon or am I okay to switch loyalties since I really haven't been paying attention that long?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

Hardfl1p posted:

the pluckiness and determination of United.

The what?

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I thought you were a Chelsea fan based on your posts in this forum.

Well Ive certainly got a soft spot for the Chelsea blues now, I cant deny it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

cadfael posted:

Well Ive certainly got a soft spot for the Chelsea blues now, I cant deny it.

Well yeah you post about Chelsea but not about Wednesday.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

I'd say that's fine Hardflip, teams don't get much pluckier than United. My question is, can a conscious decision taken in adulthood generate the same emotional attachment you get as when you start following a team as a child?

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Well yeah you post about Chelsea but not about Wednesday.

Yeah I only make the odd post these days, I do follow the team a bit and watch them on tele every chance I get, and their results are the only ones I care about at the end of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abu Dave
Mar 31, 2012

I hate fickle fans plastic twats i was born a Spurs fan in 1993 and have supported them since, get a real team "fans"