Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
It's pretty refreshingly brutal. There are some problems, like enemy respawns being really weird and cutscene text scrolling at the speed of slow, but overall I'm liking it.

I'd actually say it feels a lot like Phantasy Star Online, the D&D campaign, more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Uh, wow. Mages are pretty bad. Wholly reliant on non-regenerating MP, underwhelming damage compared to my Thief, no survivability, no fallbacks when MP is out, and all their attacks are interruptable.

Edit: Also they start out with a dagger that has no M.Atk bonus.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 31, 2012

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Lotish posted:

So how grindy or time-sinky would you say it is? I mean, if you can die forever, are you going to be losing a WoW sized investment or are characters more disposable so there's less heartbreak if you get ashed?

It's really, really easy to avoid being ashed. This is on top of the fact that Soul Ranks apply to all characters on the account and starting at SR 3 you get EXP boosts up to certain levels. You also keep all items in your coat room so you can just go pick up whatever you stored on another character.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 1, 2013

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Bashez posted:

Just one town and a dude that takes you to the other dungeons, as far as I'm aware.

Two towns, actually. If you escape from jail you wind up in a different town with no guards.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Economy Clown Car posted:

Man, are there even soul rank 2 knuckles in the game? I vastly prefer them to daggers on thief and I have been suffering using an edging dagger for a while. And the market's turning up nothing.

The game is pretty goddamn enjoyable so far though, and doesn't feel "grindy" in the sense that the quests are enough to level you fairly well.

Edit: I think it's also strongly advisable not to do hybrid builds or classes until you are a high-ish soul rank because otherwise it's too slow and you can't port over much when you change.

You can get a rank 2 knuckle for finishing the first story quest, and a second one from another quest that pops up in town right after hitting SR2.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Mauve MacPhist here. Probably going to make a Gnome Priest named Delphine as well, because holy poo poo their angry emote is the best.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Don't skip the first cutscene about crime. Just don't.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Edit: nevermind, missed the post by Nixon.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Bashez posted:

Mages destroy warriors.

Thiefs are pretty terrible because of their reach most the time, though hide attack can actually hit hard.

Alts have to reactivate guide posts but otherwise have full access to dungeons. This sucks for going to the dragoon ruins though, since it's not a new dungeon and just lower the sewers.

I have a habit of attacking any criminals I see, so good luck there!

Mages are actually pretty awful at one on one PVP, as far as I know. Their cast times are crippling and they're pretty much dead once they get hit. They get much better at level 20, when they can get invest flame, but by that point you're better off switching to a thief and just porting the spell over for the extra survivability and the huge damage boosts from the backstab tree.

Thieves are pretty decent in PVP, too. The speed of daggers and knuckles lets you stunlock other players while hide gives you an option to leave the fight and take it on your own terms. They can also heal much more readily than fighters, and have poison traps that really ruin the day of anyone dumb enough to step in them (which is a surprising amount of people).

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 10, 2013

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I've been holding off for a handful of reasons. Waiting for the next big patch in the hopes we'll get a fix to the server issues that are making the game really frustrating at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

The problem with the game is Aria Reservoir and everything that comes with it, honestly. At that point the amount of EXP and soul points you need to level increases exponentially and there's only one way to get them: grinding Millionaire. Hundreds of times.

This is made worse by the fact that following the first dungeon, enemies start becoming stronger faster than the player does, so by Aria Resivoir, you will be one-shot by almost every enemy if you are not a Fighter or Priest. In the end, it just felt like you were getting nowhere instead of being a thrilling challenge.

• Locked thread