Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ultimateforce posted:

MY DSLR does this really bad when shooting video and it drives me crazy.

shoot in raw snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

DivX discs didn't go bad, read the article you posted.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

shoot in raw snipe

I said video not stills.

GOD!!!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Digital Video Express

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Doc Block posted:

DivX discs didn't go bad, read the article you posted.

oops, ok it's this one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexplay AKA EZ-D
also SpetraDisc is another one mentioned in that article

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
someone doesnt read threads

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sniep posted:

someone doesnt read threads

i never read posts even this one

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Cold on a Cob posted:

i never read posts even this one

apparently neither does peepsalot

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

ultimateforce posted:

I said video not stills.

GOD!!!

LOL if you aren't shooting on a camera that can record video in RAW.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ultimateforce posted:

in a way, more traditional artifacts/noise is much easier to watch, coz this looks really weird/creepy/uncanny

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Doc Block posted:

LOL if you aren't shooting on a camera that can record video in RAW.

Wait, I didn't know that was an option.

I think I have been caught in a trap here.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CamH posted:

give me an animated gif and a .wav sound track to go with it. suits my needs

here u go http://gifsound.com/

The Best Christmas
May 13, 2011

do people still write basically code when they don't want to pay for a not-poo poo video editor

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

ultimateforce posted:

Wait, I didn't know that was an option.

I think I have been caught in a trap here.

on "digital cinema" cameras like the arri alexa and the red cameras? yes. on a DSLR? no.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Still camera companies still don't know how to do video properly film at 11

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

canon does. the changes needed to make their DSLRs shoot raw would make the t2i cost like 9 grand tho.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Yes but at least Nikon does non-retarded things like have uncompressed video output over HDMI

basically what I'm trying to say here is just get a blackmagic camera if you're going to go shoot some raw vidz

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

cineform or prores so that premiere or fcp or whatever wont gag on the previews and timeline while you're scrubbing through them. anything else is for scrubs. be prepared for the prores transcoded files to take about 10x the space of the original files out of the camera, so your 5 gig project can quickly turn into a 50gig project. transcode with something that can take advantage of CUDA because gently caress waiting for even an i7 to do that poo poo by hand.

oh, your talking anime codecs? who cares, whatever vlc will play is fine.

lol what is this? 5 years ago? edit native in all three big NLEs or :frogout:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

yes i shot raw so i could create/edit proxies and make more work for myself.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

prores is still cool tho just wish it wasn't in a crappy container

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pagancow posted:

lol what is this? 5 years ago? edit native in all three big NLEs or :frogout:

yo good luck not having any of the big 3 not cough up a lung when you scrub through more than a minute or two of 1080p.

that mercury hardware playback engine in premiere took care of a lot of that, but it still gets choppy on me every once in a while if im not using prores or cineform.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

pagancow posted:

Starcraft 2 uses Divx (mpeg-4 license) to encode their videos because they aren't afraid to use some rams.

quality is still bad because lol divx

~my macroblocks~

Wait what I thought it just saved replay data which you need to capture in game to make video

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

got dat wmd posted:

Wait what I thought it just saved replay data which you need to capture in game to make video

cutscenes.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

yo good luck not having any of the big 3 not cough up a lung when you scrub through more than a minute or two of 1080p.

that mercury hardware playback engine in premiere took care of a lot of that, but it still gets choppy on me every once in a while if im not using prores or cineform.

disk i/o deficiency

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pagancow posted:

disk i/o deficiency

on a solid state drive?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

on a solid state drive?

The adobe engineers told me that AVCHD and other non all-i frame codecs need more disk IO becuase it has to read ahead and create all the iframes you want to seek in the middle.

I'm guessing its because your on OS X? They said that it was their secondary platform and they didn't put as much time into it.

It's also possible that you have have enabled MPE on a card that isn't officially supported by adobe doing the text file hack, and you could get slower performance than software mode.

pagancow fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 31, 2012

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
adobe treating non-windows platforms as second-class citizens? you don't say!!!

edti: and yeah, if you're gonna use a mac for creative stuff, use a mac with an nvidia GPU so you can take advantage of all the CUDA-enabled stuff, since apparently OpenCL is slower and badly supported on windows so not as many apps support it.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 31, 2012

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Doc Block posted:

adobe treating non-windows platforms as second-class citizens? you don't say!!!

edti: and yeah, if you're gonna use a mac for creative stuff, use a mac with an nvidia GPU so you can take advantage of all the CUDA-enabled stuff, since apparently OpenCL is slower and badly supported on windows.

lol look at the epic card list you get to choose from for suported cuda cards in 10.8.2

GeForce 200 series:
GTX 285 for MAC

GeForce 100 series:
GT 120

GeForce 8 series:
8800 GT

Quadro series:
4000 for Mac

Quadro FX series:
FX 5600, FX 4800 for MAC

only 3 of those cards will give you a framerate boost with MPE with frame sizes over 1920x1080

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pagancow posted:

The adobe engineers told me that AVCHD and other non all-i frame codecs need more disk IO becuase it has to read ahead and create all the iframes you want to seek in the middle.

I'm guessing its because your on OS X? They said that it was their secondary platform and they didn't put as much time into it.

It's also possible that you have have enabled MPE on a card that isn't officially supported by adobe doing the text file hack, and you could get slower performance than software mode.

i do premiere on a windows box precisely becasue adobe hates apple now. i also have a GTS450 fermi whatever, which makes it render HD video faster than realtime, so I dont think its the card. either way, it only stutters erry once ina while, so its nbd.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
it works with other cards too, my gtx 660 ti works fine with cuda

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
also lol re: DIVX

quote:

There was a movement on the Internet, particularly in home theater forums, against DIVX. The DIVX catalog of titles were released primarily in pan and scan format with limited special features, usually only a trailer.

egh gently caress it lets just give them a trailer for the film they're about to watch

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

i do premiere on a windows box precisely becasue adobe hates apple now. i also have a GTS450 fermi whatever, which makes it render HD video faster than realtime, so I dont think its the card. either way, it only stutters erry once ina while, so its nbd.

just fyi adobe has always been this way re: apple.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

a 450 is too slow for 1920x1080 video. Also they didn't make those cards with 2gb of ram.

Try turning off MPE and you might find that it will be faster.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Top 10 MKVs this year:

lol if "the scene" really wanted an obscure format that could hold anything they should just use MXF. At least you can do something with MXF other than play it back in terrible traffic cone player.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Nobody wants an obscure container what are you talking about. Scenes killed everything but x264 in mp4 for a reason

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

ultimateforce posted:

If you have a good camera (canon), you can install magic lantern and adjust bitrate and it owns.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

divx

the gently caress was that crap

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

oh someone already said divx

realplayer format

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
someone please help my video codec is acting weird canät see anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qchPLaiKocI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Daala is the current working name of a next generation video codec— to be renamed once someone insists on something better. So far the best proposed alternative is PatentCake.

man these :spergin:s can't pick a name that doesnt make them sound like p. terrible people

• Locked thread