Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
why do you know or care so much about video codecs pagancow

are you a professional video engineer or do you just have mad amounts of anime on your HDD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

theres rgb in my jay pee gee

this is some nonstandard bullturd and i've never seen it in my life thanks wikipedia

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

TURBO BUTTON posted:

are you a professional video engineer or do you just have mad amounts of anime on your HDD

yes and yes

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
well its tentacle hentai but same thing right

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012
video and codecs are really spergy

u got ur p frames in my b frames bro

macroblocking? drat near killed 'em!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
dude, her fat p frame friend totally macroblocked me!

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Gentle Autist posted:

more like lol professional photographers

I want dork room to have a fyad lite because I can't discuss anything seriously any more

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

TURBO BUTTON posted:

why do you know or care so much about video codecs pagancow

yes to pro video engineer,

no to anime

also its not hard to pull up the wikipedia article about a video standard and learn all the pertinent things.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well pagancow i'm 'preciating

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

ahmeni posted:

I want dork room to have a fyad lite because I can't discuss anything seriously any more

whatever room you're in is the dork room :xd:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
man this thread is boring let's talk about movies instead

i saw django unleashed and i thoroughly enjoyed it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
is it really a movie about python

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

My Linux Rig posted:

man this thread is boring let's talk about movies instead

i saw django unleashed and i thoroughly enjoyed it

unchained you buffoon

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I saw the hobbit at 48fps.

Looks pretty much like 50fps material in PAL land. Not sure why everybody got mad that it "looks like TV." could have told you that a 2fps difference wasn't going to be super noticeable.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

pagancow posted:

Looks pretty much like 50fps material in PAL land. Not sure why everybody got mad that it "looks like TV." could have told you that a 2fps difference wasn't going to be super noticeable.

i could understand why people might not like the idea of bumping up the framerate. i had a tv that had a feature that would do that, and old movies like the terminator looked like soap operas when the framerate was higher

but it seemed like jackson handled it well, so i didn't even notice it honestly

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

My Linux Rig posted:

i could understand why people might not like the idea of bumping up the framerate. i had a tv that had a feature that would do that, and old movies like the terminator looked like soap operas when the framerate was higher

but it seemed like jackson handled it well, so i didn't even notice it honestly

the difference between jackson doing it and your tv doing it, is that jackson is capturing real data

the tv just draws whatever it feels like, and sometimes when it cant make a good decision it doesn't draw anything!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
the weird thing for me is it made some scenes seem sped up but then there was sound at the right speed and my brain was like "wuuuhhhhh????" and then things didn't seem fast anymore for awhile

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
my only hope is that they redo the original transformers at 60fps and maybe i can understand what is going on

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

ahmeni posted:

my only hope is that they redo the original transformers at 60fps and maybe i can understand what is going on

nope that's impossible, such things are not meant to be understood

transformers 2 remains to this day the only movie i have ever paid good money for and walked out of the theater halfway thgrou

and it was dollar movie night at my tiny-rear end college town's single movie theater

i think it was around the giant clangy robot testicles when i left, i remember something to do with a whole plot point about how the alien robots evolved to look like ford model-t's in the 1920s or something

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
transformers 2 was so bad. the first one owned tho

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Shaggar continues his 2013 streak

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
megan fox was way hotter than the chick they replaced her with in transformers 3, IMHO.

pro tip: do not say the movie's director is like hitler when the movie's executive producer is the guy who made schindler's list.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

yeah that new girl was super disappointing.

6/10 imho

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

pagancow posted:

the whining is literally just film spergs going "bloo bloo its not 24fps, therefore it looks like a soap opera filmed with video cameras"

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Sweevo posted:

the whining is literally just film spergs going "bloo bloo its not 24fps, therefore it looks like a soap opera filmed with video cameras"

yeah maybe, but i still blame poo poo TVs for giving the impression that higher frame rates are terrible

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

kill all spergs, problem solved

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sweevo posted:

kill all spergs, problem solved

please hurry, i long for release from this stupid gay earf

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i asked the woman what she thought of high frame rate, and she said she couldn't tell a difference.

THEN i OPEN PALM SLAMMED the red documentation ABOUT the 4k technology USED BY PETER jackson and how all the dwarfs were being rendered at FOURTY EIGHT frames PER SECOND, twice the FRAMERATE of a normal plebe movie made by old film TECHNOLOGY. Then i pulled out my SIX INCH android phablet to show evidence done BY ONE WEIRD guy in the REDUSER FORUMS about how the movie was ONLY FINISHED IN 2K!!!!

~my pixels~

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

RED RAW is a good codec tho

-im pagancow and i approve of this message

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pagancow posted:

i asked the woman what she thought of high frame rate, and she said she couldn't tell a difference.

THEN i OPEN PALM SLAMMED the red documentation ABOUT the 4k technology USED BY PETER jackson and how all the dwarfs were being rendered at FOURTY EIGHT frames PER SECOND, twice the FRAMERATE of a normal plebe movie made by old film TECHNOLOGY. Then i pulled out my SIX INCH android phablet to show evidence done BY ONE WEIRD guy in the REDUSER FORUMS about how the movie was ONLY FINISHED IN 2K!!!!

~my pixels~

i mean come on, the GOPRO shoots in 4k for chrissakes! Petre Jackson you need to shoot in 100K or better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
tbf most people either don't know what the difference is or can identify a difference but don't know how to enunciate it

like i went to a real live theater once and they played the entire movie in the wrong aspect ratio and nobody batted an eye

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
there are so many different resolutions now and everything stretches stuff differently depending on the source i dont even know if i'd notice either

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

i was in a theatre in florida and it had a digital projector where the brightness was turned up way too high and it was possibly zoomed in way far, as I could see the individual projector pixels.

my sperginess would not allow me to enjoy the movie after that.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

My Linux Rig posted:

yeah maybe, but i still blame poo poo TVs for giving the impression that higher frame rates are terrible

I don't know what the samsung tv's are doing or how to turn it off but yeah my parents got one and it tried to do whatever to make a 24fps blueray 60fps by Making poo poo Up and it was very distracting

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
My favourite is when the motion sickness enhancer is turned up to max and the entire backlight is dimming up and down because of dynamic contrast poo poo so they can put a bigger number on the box.

Last time I went to a movie before they switched to digital they played the movie at like 48 Hz instead of 72 so it was dim as gently caress and flickering all over.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

i like it when old people buy a huge widescreen high-def tv and then use it to watch vhs tapes in 4:3 stretched to fill the screen

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
would you prefer they watched their 4:3 VHS tapes on a 14" CRT?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

no thanks ill just submit them to obama's death panel

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

would you prefer they watched their 4:3 VHS tapes on a 14" CRT?

at least the aspect ratio would be correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
my mother in law has a 42" led tv that she watches DVDs on a bluray player connected by a composite cable

• Locked thread