Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

demota posted:

Sort of. I want it for games, but it's for career purposes. I work in the gaming industry and I need to be able to examine a wide variety of freemium apps for retention and monetization systems. Android's carried me pretty well so far, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I didn't have that iOS blind spot. There are a lot of games I don't have access to, and feature discrepancies between iOS and Android versions of apps have led to some awkward moments at networking events.

Definitely get an iPad. Very few games are iPhone only, but a decent chunk of iOS gaming is iPad only (very few iPad exclusive freemium games though. Hearthstone? What else?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
One last comment about the CYOA discussion. If anyone interested in CYOA games hasn't played King of Dragon Pass, it is a must play. It's not strictly a CYOA game, but it blends together game mechanics with narrative and characters in a fantastic way.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Lords of Waterdeep looks like it's down to $4 today (from $7). I've played the physical game, and I played the iOS game once or twice on my brother-in-law's iPad, so picked this up.

Roller Coaster Tycoon 4 is also free today. I picked it up because it's free, but can anyone say whether it's worth a poo poo or not? I really enjoyed RCT for the PC years ago, if that matters.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

demota posted:

Sort of. I want it for games, but it's for career purposes. I work in the gaming industry and I need to be able to examine a wide variety of freemium apps for retention and monetization systems. Android's carried me pretty well so far, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I didn't have that iOS blind spot. There are a lot of games I don't have access to, and feature discrepancies between iOS and Android versions of apps have led to some awkward moments at networking events.

Yeah I'd recommend you get an ipad then. As for the large vs mini thing, that's hard to say. For playing games I would 100% recommend the fullsize but if your professional need is for freemium apps to analyze numbers you might like the mini format. The size thing is 100% personal preference. Listen to nobody but yourself on this issue. You either don't mind deleting or reinstalling apps (it's like a 2-tap process to reinstall something) or it bothers you so much you don't mind burning a few benjamins on convenience.

Can you talk more about your job and what you've learned? I am interested.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Quickpull posted:

One last comment about the CYOA discussion. If anyone interested in CYOA games hasn't played King of Dragon Pass, it is a must play. It's not strictly a CYOA game, but it blends together game mechanics with narrative and characters in a fantastic way.

I have it but let the (at least 'seeming') complexity of the management in it put me off.
Are there any good starting guides for getting the gist of what the hell I'm supposed to be doing with gods, quests, and cows?
I want in on that action but I'm a little dim when it comes to keeping track of resources and whatnot.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

wintermuteCF posted:

Lords of Waterdeep looks like it's down to $4 today (from $7). I've played the physical game, and I played the iOS game once or twice on my brother-in-law's iPad, so picked this up.
This would probably go in my 'top 3 iOS games' list. It's a really good worker-placement game that's also been put together very well. Definitely worth picking up.

wintermuteCF posted:

Roller Coaster Tycoon 4 is also free today. I picked it up because it's free, but can anyone say whether it's worth a poo poo or not? I really enjoyed RCT for the PC years ago, if that matters.
This, however, is probably second only to Dungeon Keeper as one of the worst cash-grab pay-to-play freemium garbage titles available.

TACD fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 14, 2014

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

TACD posted:

This, however, is probably second only to Dungeon Keeper as one of the worst cash-grab pay-to-play freemium garbage titles available.
Yup, figured that out within a few minutes. Even the tutorial is like "hey, use $premiumcurrency to make this build faster!"
Sad :(

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

demota posted:

Oh, definitely go for iPad then. Even just a Mini gives you access to exclusives, and several more are just much less awkward with more screen real estate. Plus, most of the really great iOS games (boardgame ports, FTL, KoDP, etc) would be pretty uncomfortable on a tiny screen.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Thanks for the advice! I'll save up a bit longer and go for the pad. :)

Zigmidge posted:

Yeah I'd recommend you get an ipad then. As for the large vs mini thing, that's hard to say. For playing games I would 100% recommend the fullsize but if your professional need is for freemium apps to analyze numbers you might like the mini format. The size thing is 100% personal preference. Listen to nobody but yourself on this issue. You either don't mind deleting or reinstalling apps (it's like a 2-tap process to reinstall something) or it bothers you so much you don't mind burning a few benjamins on convenience.

Can you talk more about your job and what you've learned? I am interested.

Sure, no problem! I'm currently a localization writer, and I'm interested in moving into game systems design. I love fiddling with the systems of mechanics and the chains of logic. I've had my eye on free to play stuff since that's where all the new jobs are. It's also unique in that people can play your game for free, but they can hand over money if they think your game is worth it (or they're just frustrated, but I don't consider that ideal). It's kind of like the ultimate test of if you've made a game that someone wants to keep playing.

I started a blog that takes free to play mechanics and puts them under the magnifying glass and explains the hows and whys. It's new, but I'm aiming for daily posts to fill it up with content.

Edit: Also, strong agree on KoDP. KoDP owns hard.

demota fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 14, 2014

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Zigmidge posted:

Everything equally except for free kicks, ignore those altogether. Maxing vision and team happiness first doesn't hurt, both of those will give your star more opportunities to do stuff. Maxing all relationships except girlfriend and sponsors will make you team captain, again, more opportunities there. In the end though, it doesn't matter one bit because NSS is mathematically designed to fail your career if you don't spend any money on it (stat degradation takes over fast). I guess you could stunt your experience like that other poster earlier that only plays 6 or 7 seasons before retiring.

6 or 7 seasons seems pretty fair for a professional futbol player IRL.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Apparently there are a bunch of games by Cartoon Network... Any of them good?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

obi_ant posted:

The monsters ate my condo one is pretty cool.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

xzzy posted:

The monsters ate my condo one is pretty cool.

http://appshopper.com/games/super-monsters-ate-my-condo is the better one, if I remember correcty.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

obi_ant posted:

SMAMC was more fun than the original, but the entire game is based off scoring as high as possible and achieving your 3 Jetpack Joyride-style missions in 2 minutes (there are mechanics to extend this time/slow down the clock, but it's fundamentally a time attack). It also features consumables that aren't too obnoxious, but IIRC your rank determines what gameplay mechanics are available to you, and your rank is tied directly to # of missions completed, so you end up buying some consumables in order to clear missions as opposed to skipping them. SMAMC is free though IIRC - worth checking out.

New Star Soccer tip - you can force quit the game at the end of a football match or in the middle of a training attempt, reopen the game, and your stam/weeks into the season should be exactly the same as before you started the match/training. Make sure you quit the football matches BEFORE you see the money earned/match score screen though.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Star Realms is, like, boring, ugly Ascension?

Clockwork Beast!
Jan 18, 2007

Clockwork beast! Clockwork beast! We're doomed!

obi_ant posted:

Robot Unicorn Attack 2 is glorious and I will murder anyone who says otherwise.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Castle Doombad is pretty fantastic if only for the terrible puns.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

Seems to me that it's Dominion with more CCG, directly adversarial play structure. Health count, outposts as barriers to attacking that health count are classic indicators - the game's a blend of Dominion/Ascension deck building with Hearthstone's decisive card playing metagame. Many bases seem to function as removals - scrapping a base that gives you 2 health back every turn seems foolish, unless scrapping it gives you the extra 4 combat you need to remove your opponent's outpost that prevents you from hitting him. Maybe he doesn't have that much combat though, so you're willing to let him hit you while not being able to hit him, if it means you get extra time to buy up the cards you want from the pool. But maybe not many cards have the +4 combat bonus on scrap like the one you have. Or maybe you want to leverage its faction for future cards you'll play, so you'll never scrap it while you have other same faction cards.

Then again I've played Star Realms for all of about an hour and change so maybe I'm totally off the mark about its metagame.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

omg chael crash posted:

I actually enjoy Star Realms more than Ascension - it's refreshing to have a deckbuilder where what cards you have in your deck doesn't make a difference at the end of the game. All that matters is destroying your opponent, which leads to situations where some cards are amazing to grab early on (like the red card for one gold that gives one gold and trashes a card), and then those cards are best off scrapped after they've played their role and helped to advance your position. This is even more true of other cards that actually can scrap themselves for a bonus that can be absolutely critical at times.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I played the hell out of Adventure Time Ski Safari

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Anybody try that Adventure Time: Card Wars game? It seems interesting, but it has IAP and an energy timer despite being a paid game. I don't mind the energy timer so much, but I'm wondering how much IAP otherwise becomes an impediment to playing through it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

duckfarts posted:

Anybody try that Adventure Time: Card Wars game? It seems interesting, but it has IAP and an energy timer despite being a paid game. I don't mind the energy timer so much, but I'm wondering how much IAP otherwise becomes an impediment to playing through it.

It apparently pretty bad, but I think you can move you clock forward to avoid the timer and ifunbox to edit the files for unlimited IAP.

Javaman98
Jul 15, 2002

ask me about strobing in LoL

duckfarts posted:

I've never run into the timer problem, because one match played is often enough to refill the timer, and after a few bosses you have enough hearts to keep going. There are huge issues in card customization, trying to build a solid deck is painful without dropping money, and the base game already cost money so it's kind of a raw deal. The only advantage is that instead of straight up CCG style, you can play it with "mini games" where defending creatures can block all the damage, and attacking creatures can do double damage if you hit the button right. You can disable this mode, but honestly the AI has a much better selection of cards, that playing without it seems like a chore.

So if you want CCG feel and to play a game, I'd say it's ok. For the hardcore CCG strategist it's definitely a miss.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Clockwork Beast! posted:

Robot Unicorn Attack 2 is glorious and I will murder anyone who says otherwise.

Recently, I booted up the game for the first time in a long time and found that they added Dare and The Touch to the soundtrack.

I'm reasonably certain these tracks are the only non-functional DLC I've ever bought in my life.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I played through all of the Star Realms free missions last night. Good game, glad to have played it.

Not sure if I want more of the same though. Really liking the idea of building up fleets of similar things to get bonuses. It almost makes me want to go back and play more Hearthstone.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

duckfarts posted:

I really wanted to like it but the IAP thing was ridiculously greedy. You start getting very heavily outclassed by your opponents' cards and halfway decent new cards come at a very slow pace. Add to that the stupid cap on the number of cards, which also takes IAP currency to increase, and you've got a game that becomes impossible to progress in without dropping some cash.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Shwqa posted:

It apparently pretty bad, but I think you can move you clock forward to avoid the timer and ifunbox to edit the files for unlimited IAP.
This is tempting then, seeing as it's apparently really easy to do this for the gems thing.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Play Wordament Snap Attack.

That is all.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

duckfarts posted:

It's ok if you use ifunbox to give yourself a bunch of gems, but otherwise don't bother. It commits a grave tcg sin where some cards are just straight up way better than others and you would quickly hit a wall if you didn't pay up (i.e your opponents in the second world start having cards of high values like 10-20 attack when your default cards have 2-7)

I quickly got board even with a bunch of gems because steam rolling with way better cards is just as unfun. Plus there are waaaay better card games on the ios you can devote your time to.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

How is the new phoenix wright btw? I remember it getting a digital release last year but I didn't see anyone saying anything about it either way.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

DrManiac posted:

How is the new phoenix wright btw? I remember it getting a digital release last year but I didn't see anyone saying anything about it either way.

Really loving slick (presentation wise at least).
The production value went through the roof.
I've only tried the free starting case but so far it looks to be very much in the spirit of the older games.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Notorious QIG posted:

Play Wordament Snap Attack.

That is all.

Just FYI: the game is Boggle mixed with Scrabble.

It's a nice game and I like it but I suck at Boggle.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
iOS is becoming the place for TCGs now: Pokemon TCG in the works for iPad.

This isn't the first time an official licensed Pokemon thing has appeared on the App Store, but this is the first game. Very interesting.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gann Jerrod posted:

iOS is becoming the place for TCGs now: Pokemon TCG in the works for iPad.

This isn't the first time an official licensed Pokemon thing has appeared on the App Store, but this is the first game. Very interesting.

This is going to make so much money. It's funny that it made it to iOS before the 3DS or Wii U.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SeANMcBAY posted:

This is going to make so much money. It's funny that it made it to iOS before the 3DS or Wii U.

I would like Pokemon TCG if the entire game didn't come down to coin flips. A very large portion of the cards have the effect of "Flip a coin! If Heads (x) happens, if Tails (y) happens!" It would be fine if it were just a few cards.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SeANMcBAY posted:

Pretty sure the TCG is owned by someone else, don't expect any 3ds ports or anything from Nintendo out of this.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
I wonder if that's going to have crossplay with the desktop version.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Pretty sure the TCG is owned by someone else, don't expect any 3ds ports or anything from Nintendo out of this.

Nah whatever company owns the TCG is just going to buy Nintendo with all the money they are going to make. Then someone who isn't scared of decades old technology can run Nintendo.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I think the TCG is currently owned wholly by The Pokemon Company, which kinda goes around doing its own thing despite Nintendo having majority share in it. See iOS having an official Pokedex app and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, I just checked. Wizards Of The Coast had it from 1998-2003, when The Pokémon Company International took it over.

• Locked thread