Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
The thing I don't like about Hearthstone that, unlike Magic, there is really only one strategy towards winning. You have to be the one who wins the minion war of attrition. Meaning, the person who ends up with the dominant force on the field will be the one who wins.

In Magic, you could certainly win this way, but you could also construct a deck around direct damage through spells and ways to keep the other player's deck from going off until you get your combo off. You could create a deck in which you gain a significant amount of life and then win with a card that requires a certain life total.

It's fun, but it's not deep enough to hold my attention for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
What makes the actual card game itself not as appealing to me is the lack of passing priority beyond just finishing your turn. In Magic, you can respond to just about anything, which allows for all kinds of incredible offensive, defensive, or even just straight up bluffing psychological strategies. I totally understand why Hearthstone is designed the way it is, because playing Magic online can be pretty tiring both passing priority all turn or waiting for your opponent to pass priority for simple things, so it makes sense for them to totally streamline that. Some of the most fun I've had in Magic has come with interaction with the stack, particularly with the card pool of modern and legacy. Without that kind of thing, it feels so incredibly one dimensional.

I understand the flip side though, as if you cut your CCG teeth on a game like Hearthstone you'd probably look at Magic and be like "Man, gently caress that noise."

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

io_burn posted:

Yeah, there's just not a great solution. Admittedly, it's only something grognards who still give a poo poo about paper card games care about so I'm not sure it could be more of a non-issue for anyone who cares about Hearthstone or Blizzard.

It's really only an issue if playing hearthstone somehow forced you to stop playing paper card games. Digital and physical games are different, and they each have their strengths. I don't see why it's necessary for a hearthstone to be exactly like paper ccgs. Obviously you prefer ccgs with physical cards, and for some good reasons. But I'd argue the system in Hearthstone is better for a digital ccg.

The game is way more accessible because people can craft the best cards for their deck. Its not fun if the best cards have their prices driven up and only the hardcore or people willing to spend lots of money get to use them. Not to mention its hard to build much of a social trading aspect into a game where you're staring at a screen. Similarly, the decision to limit the players actions to their own turn, rather than allowing interrupts was a great decision that suites the digital format. But that's something that would be missed in a format where you're playing face to face with someone.

So, yes, hearthstone is different from physical ccgs, but that makes sense. They are games in different mediums. I say, appreciate the differences and play them all :)

Edit: VVV- Exactly. So Hearthstone is not as complex as magic. So what? Not every game has to be the same -VVV

Quickpull fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 17, 2014

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

io_burn posted:

What makes the actual card game itself not as appealing to me is the lack of passing priority beyond just finishing your turn. In Magic, you can respond to just about anything, which allows for all kinds of incredible offensive, defensive, or even just straight up bluffing psychological strategies. I totally understand why Hearthstone is designed the way it is, because playing Magic online can be pretty tiring both passing priority all turn or waiting for your opponent to pass priority for simple things, so it makes sense for them to totally streamline that. Some of the most fun I've had in Magic has come with interaction with the stack, particularly with the card pool of modern and legacy. Without that kind of thing, it feels so incredibly one dimensional.

I understand the flip side though, as if you cut your CCG teeth on a game like Hearthstone you'd probably look at Magic and be like "Man, gently caress that noise."

Once you stop comparing Hearthstone to Magic, it becomes way more enjoyable. I'm a Magic vet and I really had to force myself to stop making stupid little comparisons between the two. They're very different games.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

bvoid posted:

Once you stop comparing Hearthstone to Magic, it becomes way more enjoyable. I'm a Magic vet and I really had to force myself to stop making stupid little comparisons between the two. They're very different games.

Hearthstone is an e-cigarette and Magic is a Newport 100.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Playing Heartstone on the iPad just makes me want an IOS version of Netrunner :(

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
We'll after doing the first few quests of Warhammer Quest, I find myself disappointed and frustrated. The game is polished and beautiful, but the combat, at least level 1 combat, is about as fun as 3e D&D combat, which is to say, not at all. Missing 60% of the time on every single attack and having a mage that randomly can't cast spells at least that often may be fun for some, but doesn't make me want to spend my time on it.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Locke Dunnegan posted:

We'll after doing the first few quests of Warhammer Quest, I find myself disappointed and frustrated. The game is polished and beautiful, but the combat, at least level 1 combat, is about as fun as 3e D&D combat, which is to say, not at all. Missing 60% of the time on every single attack and having a mage that randomly can't cast spells at least that often may be fun for some, but doesn't make me want to spend my time on it.

It gets way better about that. If anything it gets too easy after the first level or 2 when you just steamroll everything

Styrka
Jul 18, 2010

Stumpus posted:

The thing I don't like about Hearthstone that, unlike Magic, there is really only one strategy towards winning. You have to be the one who wins the minion war of attrition. Meaning, the person who ends up with the dominant force on the field will be the one who wins.

In Magic, you could certainly win this way, but you could also construct a deck around direct damage through spells and ways to keep the other player's deck from going off until you get your combo off. You could create a deck in which you gain a significant amount of life and then win with a card that requires a certain life total.

It's fun, but it's not deep enough to hold my attention for long.

Well yeah if you don't look at any serious discussion and just play three games vs AI you might get that impression. But then you actually look at the game and see that for the longest time, Mage decks ran supreme, and they rarely dropped minions. Warrior, Warlock and Hunter decks come in and out of the meta with decks that pretty much ignore everything but the opponent's face. And then there's Rogue, who goes from 0 to you're gonna die from these stealthed mobs pretty quickly--it's a constantly evolving strategy with multiple "bests" at any time.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Styrka posted:

Well yeah if you don't look at any serious discussion and just play three games vs AI you might get that impression. But then you actually look at the game and see that for the longest time, Mage decks ran supreme, and they rarely dropped minions. Warrior, Warlock and Hunter decks come in and out of the meta with decks that pretty much ignore everything but the opponent's face. And then there's Rogue, who goes from 0 to you're gonna die from these stealthed mobs pretty quickly--it's a constantly evolving meta.

I've also found that, just because every card you place on the board is called a "minion", doesn't that you have to think about them that way. There are lots of strategies that don't just rely on having lots of attack/health meat on the board. The game does actually have some nice depth for it's "limited" breadth once you start to get your head around the game.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

io_burn posted:

Valid. Totally valid. As someone who has never gotten into a single CCG in my life and find it all a little deep and daunting, I really like the simplicity of Hearthstone. Maybe it'll make me graduate to something cooler/deeper. But it's a nice CCG-Lite.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Feenix posted:

Valid. Totally valid. As someone who has never gotten into a single CCG in my life and find it all a little deep and daunting, I really like the simplicity of Hearthstone. Maybe it'll make me graduate to something cooler/deeper. But it's a nice CCG-Lite.

In my opinion, Hearthstone is fantastic as a game to play on the sofa with the TV on in the background. Games take like 10 minutes tops, the strategy is not hugely complicated, and it's easy to find a match. Plus you can easily look up when it's not your turn since, as mentioned, you can't do anything when it's not your turn.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

theblackw0lf posted:

Playing Heartstone on the iPad just makes me want an IOS version of Netrunner :(

I really hope this release pushes developers to release other games. I'd love to play Netrunner on my Ipad.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
The Yomi iPad app is out from Sirlin Games. It's a non-collectible card game with unique characters that each have their own 54 card deck (modeled after a playing card deck) that simulates a fighting game. The game mechanics are very polished and have been meticulously tweaked and balanced over years and the game is really good now. $10 for the base game with 10 characters, $10 IAP for the expansion with 10 more characters. Supports online play with cross platform play with their web client on FantasyStrike.com.

The app itself is good. There are some UI things that could be improved. I am impressed by how smoothly the matchmaking and online play works, especially with cross platform to PC. Definitely check it out if you like fighting games or card games based around reading your opponent.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ZerodotJander posted:

The Yomi iPad app is out from Sirlin Games. It's a non-collectible card game with unique characters that each have their own 54 card deck (modeled after a playing card deck) that simulates a fighting game. The game mechanics are very polished and have been meticulously tweaked and balanced over years and the game is really good now. $10 for the base game with 10 characters, $10 IAP for the expansion with 10 more characters. Supports online play with cross platform play with their web client on FantasyStrike.com.

The app itself is good. There are some UI things that could be improved. I am impressed by how smoothly the matchmaking and online play works, especially with cross platform to PC. Definitely check it out if you like fighting games or card games based around reading your opponent.

As I mentioned above, I'm a "CCG noob" is this straightforward like Hearthstone or deep and daunting like, say, Magic?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

bvoid posted:

I think the more I try to get in to virtual CCG's the more I realize is that the actual game itself isn't even what I like most about Magic compared to all the ancillary things that surround it. It's weird.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Feenix posted:

As I mentioned above, I'm a "CCG noob" is this straightforward like Hearthstone or deep and daunting like, say, Magic?
The game is pretty straightforward. It's been a while since I've played but it basically boils down to rock, paper, scissors but with some timing mechanics thrown in.

The app looks neat, but I'm not seeing any pass-and-play options, which is kind of unfortunate. I mean, I know I can just break out the physical game, but it just feels like an omission.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
If you play hearthstone regularly for about a month you end up with a more than reasonable number of cards for free. (Most commons, most rares, a few epics). Craft what you need for decks and you'll easily have 3 viable decks by that point (naturally excluding the most expensive lists). It was actually the problem before they announced naxx that it was too easy to top off a collection imo.

Similarly many decks are one-note with a lack of cards in the game. Ultimately though I feel like hearthstone requires players to care more about board state than magic because of permanent minion health tracking. Even if I can't cast spells on your turn or otherwise interact outside of the board, limiting the card advantage of a big creature is a nice gimme to lesser decks and players.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

ImpactVector posted:

The game is pretty straightforward. It's been a while since I've played but it basically boils down to rock, paper, scissors but with some timing mechanics thrown in.

The app looks neat, but I'm not seeing any pass-and-play options, which is kind of unfortunate. I mean, I know I can just break out the physical game, but it just feels like an omission.

I don't think it's possible to play the game properly via pass and play, there's too many simultaneous decisions for it to work well.

The only real similarity between the game and CCGs like Magic is that both are card games where you draw from decks you don't reshuffle.

It does boil down to sort of a restricted RPS game if you want to explain it in one sentence, but it's dramatically more complicated than that if you want to play the game at a high level. Easy to get into, hard to master.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

If somebody doesn't buy the Star Wars CCG property from Decipher and pound out an iOS app, I'm gonna fly straight up into the air.

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV
Couple other releases today that look good (though I haven't had a chance to try them) :

Hitman : Go - $4.99
Chill turn based puzzle game where, oh yeah, you're the guy from Hitman assassinating people. Done in the visual style of a board game.
There's in-app purchasing, but as far as I've heard it's "pay for hints" and "pay to unlock levels immediately rather than getting enough stars to unlock them", Angry-Birds style, rather than anything required.
12 Minutes of Gameplay

Unpossible - $1.99
Super-Hexagon like gameplay, but in 3D landscape.
10 Minutes of Gameplay

Anyone had a chance to try these out yet?

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Hitman Go looks like a loving Sokoban reskin.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Someone said earlier it could be red via blue, x vs o, or squares vs circles and it wouldn't matter. You can probably read back because I remember some chat about it, but it sounds like you have to decide if the style of gameplay is your thing instead of deciding if you like the hitman franchise.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

io_burn posted:

Passing priority gets super clunky on a computer, (see: mtg duels of the planeswalkers games) a ccg that doesn't rely on it feels a lot smoother.

There's a few other big differences from mtg too in their philosophy for example in general your hand is sacred and there are no cards to force a discard on an opponent (you can however force people to draw cards to the point that they have to discard due to a full hand)

The secret to enjoying hearthstone, in my opinion, is to play it for the journey rather than the end game, having interesting previously unthought of combos arise due to having to work with what you have, progressing through the arena to earn more cards and learn more about the game.

Also from your posts so far I haven't seen an impression of the arena (might have missed it) but that's a pretty interesting mode of play, if somewhat RNG biased - it's basically having to play outside of your comfort zone, picking one out of 3 cards, 30 times in a row until you have a deck and seeing how much you can win with it against people under the same constraints. It also lets you break the game a little compared to constructed in that you can get more than two of a regular card and could for example end up with five fireballs and pull off an unexpected play. You can also have more than one of the same legendary although that is a lot less common to see.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah I'm now on the second set of levels (meaning I have like 16 maps under my belt) and the straightforward, content-agnostic gameplay of Hitman Go has not really altered beyond move in a direction or throw distraction.

Color me let down. What a key piece to omit!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

ZerodotJander posted:

This game is hard. And not due to mechanics. Just due to me falling for obvious setups.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
If you want to check out Yomi for free, you can play it (as well as puzzle strike) at Fantasy Strike

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Palooka posted:

Unpossible - $1.99
Super-Hexagon like gameplay, but in 3D landscape.
10 Minutes of Gameplay

Anyone had a chance to try these out yet?

I got this as soon as it came out, but I'm not sure what I could tell you that you can't get from watching a bit of the video - it's basically just move fast and dodge obstacles. I never played Super Hexagon, but it also feels a lot like Impossible Road to me.

There is also a mode where the path is the same for everyone worldwide on any given day, so it's a level playing field for the leaderboards.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
This has nothing to do with Hearthstone but:

I've been playing Card City Nights lately, and I've been stonewalled by "Fiery Woman," who has I think the 6th legendary card (Ittle Dew DX.) I'm not great at deckbuilding but I've tried versing her like 10+ tries and have had no success, so I'm curious as to what strategies others used for her

I can post my current decks here if that'd help

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think her entire deck is basically attack. If you can chain up enough attacks of your own to disable her center, you might be able to get past her, but the other option is just to stack yourself entirely with defense and heals and try outlast her to the last card. Heal potions are a good card to use for healing since they dont require combos, or the legendary healer. If you've got turnip lich, that's another way to try survive the constant barrage of attacks she throws your way.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Valex posted:

I've been playing Card City Nights lately, and I've been stonewalled by "Fiery Woman," who has I think the 6th legendary card (Ittle Dew DX.) I'm not great at deckbuilding but I've tried versing her like 10+ tries and have had no success, so I'm curious as to what strategies others used for her

I think I either went for a few heals and blew my attack combos on disabling her cards or I just raced her, can't really remember. I beat just about everyone with a pure aggro deck though.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Valex posted:

I not sure if this deck got nerfed into not working I beat her with a rush deck.

Fire sword X3
Jenny fox X3
Star splitter X5
Eliminator X3
Really X3
Mildagard X3
Asha X2
Iosa
Flip hero
Ultra fishbunjin 3000
Pitch princess DX

Basically I just use the bottom row and the middle spot. The ideal combo is fire sword/jenny fox, star splitter/eliminator and Iosa. Asha and Mildagard makes this combo even stronger. Mildagard can also takes Iosa spot if you haven't pulled him yet. Really and ultra fishbunjin 3000 instantly combo with fire sword, jenny fox, and star splitter. Flip hero and pitch princess as quick get a of jail free cards. Also Iosa can survive pitch princess with a clever star splitter, fire sword, pitch princess combo.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Valex posted:

I found that the best way to beat an attack deck is to have an attackier deck, and that was the only way I could beat her(was also too lazy to bother grinding for more cards or card types). That said, I think she's the hardest boss to beat in the entire game, so there you go with that.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~

Shwqa posted:

Decklist

This looks good. I can build most of this, though I'm missing a few cards (I don't have Ultrafishbunjin, Really, or Flip Hero. I'll figure something out though)
I got the impression that slamming her with damage would be the best solution. The deck I usually use is mostly attack cards, but it's usually more focused on disabling the opponent's cards and making them lose by having nowhere to put cards, because I find that more fun

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Valex posted:

This looks good. I can build most of this, though I'm missing a few cards (I don't have Ultrafishbunjin, Really, or Flip Hero. I'll figure something out though)
I got the impression that slamming her with damage would be the best solution. The deck I usually use is mostly attack cards, but it's usually more focused on disabling the opponent's cards and making them lose by having nowhere to put cards, because I find that more fun

First off looking through the card list, it turns out haja is a mildagard+ so replace her with 3 copies of him.

Second I would then replace those 4 cards with

Mildagard
Snäke x3

gyger
Feb 19, 2010
Does anyone else play Spy Wars? It is a fast-paced strategy game. Fast here means emptying the enemy base within a minute.

Kempy
Dec 15, 2009

I'm all over the #1 free app in the Chinese store right now, 'White tile'. It's essentially a reaction game but it has spread through my Chinese friends faster than Flappy Bird. Everyone plays 'Arcade Mode' and its...very addicting.

Current score: 1553

If you want one of those games where it's 'just one more time'.. get it.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

gyger posted:

Does anyone else play Spy Wars? It is a fast-paced strategy game. Fast here means emptying the enemy base within a minute.

Yep. I play it. It's okay, so far.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wow. 5 stars from TA on Hitman Go. I've expressed above why I think it's not great after a little while. Apparently, the TA review revealed that there are Disguises. So it's not just swiping directions and throwing rocks, but I still think that it's a little "flat" in terms of depth or "good use of license."

I would have seen giving it a 3.5 or a 4. Crediting it will all it did right but stating that it just didn't really go far enough.

Just my 2 cents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I felt exactly the same way. It looks like a solid system, but the opening is so slow and dreary I made it through about two missions before deleting it. It felt like the amount of time making interesting decisions was completely outweighed by the time spent shuffling dudes down empty corridors, waiting for the beginning of a turn to enter a room, missing again and again, waiting for the wizard to have enough MP to heal everyone between battles. I know these types of games take time to build up, but when I realized one of my character's special power was "skip his turn to smack the wizard instead", I was done.

• Locked thread