Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

UncleSmoothie posted:

What airlines are you flying? I have never had a USB port on a transatlantic flight and I do about four or five of them a year.
I get them quite a bit on Delta and United flights from Hawaii to the mainland US. It's a bit of a crapshoot and depends on how old the plane is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

UncleSmoothie posted:

What airlines are you flying? I have never had a USB port on a transatlantic flight and I do about four or five of them a year.

Emirates and Qantas.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

Emirates and Qantas.

Seatguru.com has been pretty accurate for me when searching available amenities for certain flights.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

UncleSmoothie posted:

Those are great but they eat battery like whoa. Dude won't make it all the way through his flight.

My laptop can charge plugged in USB devices and it has a big rear end battery if it comes to that. While I don't plan on literally playing a single game for ten hours straight it's just that I want to bring something that won't make me claw my eyes out if I did.

Since a bunch of PC/console ports have been mentioned, any comments on the Baldur's Gate I or KOTOR ports?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

~Coxy posted:

Emirates and Qantas.

I fly Qantas domestically within Australia and they tend to even have them there. Check the websites as well.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Jesus Christ, F2P is the worst.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I just heard an ad the other day that Delta now has a USB port at every seat on all "long-haul international flights". There's also this (slightly outdated) LifeHacker article.

If you don't have an external battery pack, I highly recommend one. MassDrop currently has the Satechi Portable Energy Station, which is the one I've been using for a year. 10,000mAh, both 2A and 1A output; I can usually get several full iPhone/iPad recharges out of a single battery pack charge. Sorry if I sound like an infomercial but it's a seriously useful thing to have in your bag.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
United is the worst, I use them to fly from Japan and the States and half of the airplanes don't even have personal TVs, they just have the big one in the middle. Forget USB or any kind of chargers.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

Original_Z posted:

United is the worst, I use them to fly from Japan and the States and half of the airplanes don't even have personal TVs, they just have the big one in the middle. Forget USB or any kind of chargers.

That used to be the best part of flying. Craning to get a look at a film you didn't choose to see. Don't complain about that poo poo, man, that's my loving nostalgia.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Hmmm, so far I've only gotten those rope cards on sky force. Anyone get something different? And do I have to activate them somehow? It seems like I can't pick up guys from any further then normal.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Hmmm, so far I've only gotten those rope cards on sky force. Anyone get something different?

I got hanger space +1 (so I have 11 "tries" instead of 10) and two plane production +5% (my "tries" regen faster). They activated automatically. I think you are not really going to notice rope length increase unless it is 50% or so since it's so tiny to begin with.

It sucks that you have to finish the level to keep the card, since I'm at the point where all I really need to work on are stars on the hardest levels/difficulties
which I can't reliably clear every time.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Just popping in to say Cathay 4 Lyfe.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Avadon 2: The Corruption on sale for $5 (50% off) for the first time. Spiderweb Software titles rarely drop any further and sales are relatively rare, so now's as good a time as any.

I'm playing through the first right now on iPad, and I much prefer it that way compared to desktop/laptop.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

JagGator posted:

I got hanger space +1 (so I have 11 "tries" instead of 10) and two plane production +5% (my "tries" regen faster). They activated automatically. I think you are not really going to notice rope length increase unless it is 50% or so since it's so tiny to begin with.

It sucks that you have to finish the level to keep the card, since I'm at the point where all I really need to work on are stars on the hardest levels/difficulties
which I can't reliably clear every time.

Hmmm. I guess that makes sense. Any idea if they stack? I appear to have 3 cards present in my...deck(?) under spot 17 (the rope card).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The rear end Stooge posted:

I thought this Kim Kardashian game was supposed to be an escape from life's drudgeries

I did get to go on a date with a mega cutie and jerk off under the table while he scoped out some babes

I'm not sure what's worse, people playing that game or that its animation and artstyle looks like a Newgrounds flash game, and probably plays like the games my sister used to play on our old 486 when we were kids.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Anyone else notice that their magnet has been severely gimped in the most recent Sky Force update?
I was already on the line about deleting it, this pushed me over. I don't enjoy not being able to pass a level because I don't have a strong enough weapon to 100% enemies, enemy shots that appear in similar colors to powerups, and lovely NESesque music. Back to Mushihimesama.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

??? Mine doesnt seem to have been

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
If you're looking to scratch a MOBA itch on iPad you might try out Kingdom Rush Frontiers. It's tower defense where you control a moba-like hero. There's not any multiplayer, which could own, but it is a good game. In fact if there are any more games like that on iOS I'd play them but I don't know of any.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Hmmm, so far I've only gotten those rope cards on sky force. Anyone get something different? And do I have to activate them somehow? It seems like I can't pick up guys from any further then normal.

I think the card just applies itself. If you tap the card after the level it tells you what it does, or there's a card icon on the top left of the map.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Feenix posted:

This game have MFI controller support?

I just bought traps n' gemstones and am disappointed it does not support mfi. It does support ion arcade controllers if that helps.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
What do you have to do to get cards in sky force?

Also canabalt is on sale in case anyone held on for like, five years. (Like me)

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001

Helmacron posted:

What do you have to do to get cards in sky force?

Also canabalt is on sale in case anyone held on for like, five years. (Like me)

I have two 5% faster plane cards so far but I don't think I did anything special. I am almost certain one came from a lighthouse but I could be mistaken.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
They pop out of things the way powerups do, but much more rarely. It seems you get at most one card per flight.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The Royal Scrub posted:

If you're looking to scratch a MOBA itch on iPad you might try out Kingdom Rush Frontiers. It's tower defense where you control a moba-like hero. There's not any multiplayer, which could own, but it is a good game. In fact if there are any more games like that on iOS I'd play them but I don't know of any.

Not anything *close* to a MOBA.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

obi_ant posted:

I'll concede that it's a pretty far stretch but at least it's a recommendation for a really good game that might scratch some of that itch; for the people saying "I've never played a MOBA before, which one should I try out on iOS" it's like, jeeze, they're all pretty rough, if you have a computer just play DOTA2 for free. The tutorials are pretty solid and it was my first MOBA game and I've found it easy enough to play "casually". Or wait for Heroes of the Storm which is Hearthstone to DOTA's Magic: The Gathering and is fun as hell:

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

goferchan posted:

I'll concede that it's a pretty far stretch but at least it's a recommendation for a really good game that might scratch some of that itch; for the people saying "I've never played a MOBA before, which one should I try out on iOS" it's like, jeeze, they're all pretty rough, if you have a computer just play DOTA2 for free. The tutorials are pretty solid and it was my first MOBA game and I've found it easy enough to play "casually". Or wait for Heroes of the Storm which is Hearthstone to DOTA's Magic: The Gathering and is fun as hell:

With their newly announced pay-for-power system it'll even feel like you're playing an iOS game!

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Original_Z posted:

Weird, I've been using them for international business flight out of the east coast and throughout Europe and have yet to see one where every seat doesn't get it's own tv. However I have yet to fly one that has USB ports.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

Weird, I've been using them for international business flight out of the east coast and throughout Europe and have yet to see one where every seat doesn't get it's own tv. However I have yet to fly one that has USB ports.

United uses its oldest shitbird planes for the trans-Pacific flights. I fly from Australia to the USA three or four times a year, and I fly United because I've got elite status and a bunch of perks. Their planes are terrible, their "food" only gets to be called that because it's technically possible to digest it, and worst of all they just discontinued free booze on international flights.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Here's a fun article about the shittiness of American air carriers:

http://qz.com/236417/americas-airlines-are-the-worlds-most-profitable-and-least-comfortable/

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Somewhere an eagle is crying a single, proud tear as it gets ripped to shreds by an overbooked airplane.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Not surprising. First time I flew a non-US airline it was Icelandair and their economy offers more amenities, like a bunch of free TV and movies, than any US airline I've ever seen. When they forgot the food I asked for they apologized and gave it free of charge. It was actual food too and not a plastic-wrapped mystery meat in industrial waste nightmarish gravy.

Last time I had free (very limited) entertainment on a domestic flight in economy was coast to coast and I think it was US Air, 4-5 years ago. Flights themselves cost almost double what they did 5 years ago too. Flying in the US sucks. The only good thing in the last several years was they finally stopped making people turn off electronics since the whole "well your phone/tablet could interfere with the airplane during takeoff" thing had been disproved repeatedly.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I fly first class and I've never seen an outlet or USB on any of the domestic flights I've taken. AA did give me a tablet running a derivative of droid that showed tv shows and movies and things which was cool I guess except that I brought an iPad loaded with movies and felt like a total boner.

It was depressing because I barreled through Monster Hunter Unite on my phone and didn't really watch the movies and then realized it was a huge drain and when I landed my battery was dead so I had to sit against an outlet like an rear end in a top hat at the airport AFTER I landed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Get a cheap usb battery off monoprice, 2000mah is roughly an iPhone charge. You can get vastly bigger than that these days for not a lot of money.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Not that I called it a moba but blasting creeps and getting gold with a hero that has 4 abilities sounds kinda close to me. Good thing I called it tower defense where you control a hero though! Close call!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Sky Force seems like a pretty neat game. It still has the problem of things shooting you in the back where your finger is blocking and I wish there was more feedback when you got hit but otherwise really solid.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Yodzilla posted:

Sky Force seems like a pretty neat game. It still has the problem of things shooting you in the back where your finger is blocking and I wish there was more feedback when you got hit but otherwise really solid.

It is. A lot of fun, too. And the few times the "under you" stuff happens you start to memorize it and can avoid. I agree though, it's just a case of unavoidable touch control-itis.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You can change the controls and see behind yourself way easier with the other setting.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Or use a stylus like I am, that gives me enough sight where I need it.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Does no one else just....lift their hand? You won't be beating any of the challenging parts on your first try, you'll learn when to use only your fingertip and then you can go back to resting your greasy palms on your device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
To kind of bring this back on track some, the best way to make sure you are able to use your device for the duration of your flight is to get an iPad Air. I always have my sound off unless I'm playing like Theatrythm and keep my brightness a smidge lower than default and it lasts through domestic flights and then some. I'm working 4 10s right now and when I charge it over night it will last all the way through my work day and still have 20-30% battery left.

I had an iPad 2 and it didn't last half as long.

• Locked thread