Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Ok so I got an ipad mini for school today and I'm wondering if there are any awesome ipad only games I've missed out on since I've only had an iphone for all this time. I've got all my good iphone stuff transferred over like pinball arcade and stuff but if anyone has some recommendations for ipad only games I'd love to hear some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

Welp, people in this thread spamming Happy Street challenge requests made me have to disable all Game Center notifications. It's the equivalent of spamming your Facebook friends with Mafia Wars invites, except there's no way to specifically block it.

Apple really needs to crack down on this. I have one real-life friend who is not that great with misleading dialogs (I assume so anyway, because the game is one of those scammy freemium ones) that I'm going to have to remove.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, so I was playing Puzzle Craft and I built the observatory in front of where you collect taxes and now I can't hit the button to collect taxes because the observatory overlaps it and it thinks I'm trying to interact with the observatory. Is this fixable or did I just screw myself?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

heiden posted:

I liked that game but there's not much to manage, it's super shallow & easy once you figure out that building less buildings and boosting them with the appropiate items > building more buildings. You'll have everyone as Kairobots (sp?) rather quickly and then there's nothing left to do.

You don't even need to get that crazy to beat the Dungeon village. I built every building and gave them no items.

Just ignore magic completely and have people max a big dex class like archer then a huge tough class like knight and then another good class like mercenary for males and Kung fu master for females. Pump the cauldron until you got hero armor, hero shield and flame bow. I had multiple people with 1000+ stats in the importance stuff who could 1-hit ko bosses by themselves in year 10.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 4, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Mr EFord posted:

I'm sure my opinion doesn't matter much since I wrote that review, but I really, really like the port. Crashes very little, no slow-down at all, graphics look great and the remake retains a lot of the charm from the original.

Of course this could be nostalgia based, but I clocked in 15+ hours on my play through for that review and never really had an issue with it. Only downside is the price.

I've got to ask about this, but the "graphics look great"? That seems an odd thing to say. The screenshots make it look like they just took the assets from the DS port and slapped them into the iPad, and it was already pig ugly when that remake came out in 2008 on a device with a screen resolution of 256 x 192. I see ultra-low resolution textures and low polygon count models. That really ugly and utilitarian font they use doesn't help either. It's the worst kind of halfway house; doesn't have the retro charm or nostalgia factor of the original, and also isn't something that stands up graphically as a current generation game.

I'm sure the gameplay for what it is would be fine. Being able to count the pixels in the texture on a 3D character model is just ... :psyduck:

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet
If you like chilled out puzzle games, then there is new game called "Hundreds" that I got last night and played a bit in bed when I should have been sleeping. The concept is simple - circles move around on the screen and you tap them to inflate them with points. You want to get 100 points in total. The catch is that if they touch while you are growing one then it's game over. Of course other gimmicks get added in quickly, like circles being attached together with ropes, circles that you can "pause" and super speed circles.

The art style is really minimalist and the soundtrack is very relaxing. It's quite nice to just mindlessly tap on circles for a few minutes, although I did find myself raging when I died on a score of 99 :).

I think there is a launch discount, here is the app store link.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

langurmonkey posted:

If you like chilled out puzzle games, then there is new game called "Hundreds" that I got last night and played a bit in bed when I should have been sleeping. The concept is simple - circles move around on the screen and you tap them to inflate them with points. You want to get 100 points in total. The catch is that if they touch while you are growing one then it's game over. Of course other gimmicks get added in quickly, like circles being attached together with ropes, circles that you can "pause" and super speed circles.

The art style is really minimalist and the soundtrack is very relaxing. It's quite nice to just mindlessly tap on circles for a few minutes, although I did find myself raging when I died on a score of 99 :).

Sounds very similar to Eliss, which is an app store launch title and has not stood the test of time well, but it's cool to look back at it I guess.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

langurmonkey posted:

I agree completely with this. It's a lot of fun and the music is great. It kinda reminded me of osmos. It's a collaboration of the developers of Canabalt, Solipskier and Gasketball, so there's that too. Some levels give you 'ciphers' which are strange strings of letters. Haven't been able to figure those out yet.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

For anyone whose played Swordigo all the way through, how heavy and important is the plot? Basically, how important is it to understand what you're reading?

I sent a kid home with it because I remembered it as a cool platformer, just redownloaded it and remembered the rpg stuff in it. He has my phone number and if it's too hard hes gonna start texting me and I don't really want that.

And thanks for the easy English games suggestions guys. I've got a reputation now as "gamer teacher" and I don't want to lose it.

So far the kids like Punch Quest and Ski Safari the most. Punch Quest gets them a little too excited though.

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached

Parkingtigers posted:

I've got to ask about this, but the "graphics look great"? That seems an odd thing to say. The screenshots make it look like they just took the assets from the DS port and slapped them into the iPad, and it was already pig ugly when that remake came out in 2008 on a device with a screen resolution of 256 x 192. I see ultra-low resolution textures and low polygon count models. That really ugly and utilitarian font they use doesn't help either. It's the worst kind of halfway house; doesn't have the retro charm or nostalgia factor of the original, and also isn't something that stands up graphically as a current generation game.

I'm sure the gameplay for what it is would be fine. Being able to count the pixels in the texture on a 3D character model is just ... :psyduck:

It's similar to what they did with Theatrhythm (although that looks far better, IMO). They basically bumped up the resolution and threw on a bunch of AA to smooth out the graphics. The effect is that it looks a ton better than the DS version, which was far more ragged in terms of actual polygon display.

Sure it doesn't look anywhere near a native iOS game, but compared to the DS version, I think it looks a ton better.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

BrainDance posted:

For anyone whose played Swordigo all the way through, how heavy and important is the plot? Basically, how important is it to understand what you're reading?

I sent a kid home with it because I remembered it as a cool platformer, just redownloaded it and remembered the rpg stuff in it. He has my phone number and if it's too hard hes gonna start texting me and I don't really want that.

And thanks for the easy English games suggestions guys. I've got a reputation now as "gamer teacher" and I don't want to lose it.

So far the kids like Punch Quest and Ski Safari the most. Punch Quest gets them a little too excited though.

Where exactly do you work? Just curious

And Swordigo's story was really simple, the challenge was in the gameplay. I think the story was about collecting sword pieces to beat the ultimate bad guy, or something along those lines.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oh my God, I just installed Plants vs. Zombies for the first time (I know, I know).

I think I blacked out for two hours because I really didn't think time could pass that quickly.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

mdemone posted:

Oh my God, I just installed Plants vs. Zombies for the first time (I know, I know).

I think I blacked out for two hours because I really didn't think time could pass that quickly.

I know right? My only complaint is it doesn't implement cloud saves. Every time I move to a different device I have to replay all the boring bits and unlock the double sunflowers and all that jazz all over again, and I just got tired of doing it after the 3rd or 4th time :smith:

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Great adventure game The Last Express is on sale for $2.99.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

BrainDance posted:

It's like a simpler Zelda, if I could understand that game without knowing English I'm sure the average kid can follow Swordigo.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

LIMBO KING posted:

Great adventure game The Last Express is on sale for $2.99.

Throwing in my recommendation for this one. The game still looks great, even on the iPhone screen, and the story/puzzle mechanics are well done as well. There's an auto-save and rewind mechanic so you aren't constantly save scumming that eases a lot of frustrations too. The only issue I had with it was the controls, which were a little funky at times and inconsistent, but nothing you can't get used to. It's an adventure game through and through though, think twice if you even remotely dislike the genre, even at the discounted price.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

langurmonkey posted:

Thanks for this, everyone should buy it now.

rgrdgr Blitz
Feb 2, 2006

Grand Mastar Bizhoe

randombattle posted:

Ok so I got an ipad mini for school today and I'm wondering if there are any awesome ipad only games I've missed out on since I've only had an iphone for all this time. I've got all my good iphone stuff transferred over like pinball arcade and stuff but if anyone has some recommendations for ipad only games I'd love to hear some.

You could try out a game that I recently worked on that's iPad only: Roaming Fortress

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

rgrdgr Blitz posted:

You could try out a game that I recently worked on that's iPad only: Roaming Fortress
That looks pretty cool; trying it. I see there's some IAP -- is the $5 "content forever" IAP really everything (which would be fine) or do you get nickled and dimed?

randombattle posted:

Not sure which of these are truly "ipad only" but these are some games I love on ipad but hate or am pretty sure I would hate on a too-small screen:

Walking Dead: The Game
Mirror's Edge
Osmos HD
Slice (and ProtoSlice HD)
Infinity Blade II
The Room
Dungeon Raid
Wimp HD
NyxQuest HD
Slingshot Racing
Omium (2p)

Even things like Ski Safari, Jetpack Joyride, Agent Dash, Punch Quest, Zombie Tsunami, Flight, Jaws Revenge, Solipskier, and Subway Surf are way more fun to me on a bigger screen.

Appshopper really needs to add a social component / recommendation engine like amazon or netflix. That'd be pretty awesome.

randyest fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 4, 2013

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Paid a dollar for Scribblenauts Remix today. I've never played any Scribblenauts before but it's always looked pretty fun. Nope. Took me an hour to completely beat it even with the poor controls. Very short, and half the levels outright tell you what to do. The other half can be done with just a jetpack and a gun. There's no challenge at all. I could see if it was more open ended and let you be creative, but again half of them literally tell you exactly what to do and the other half are so simple that it won't matter. It also didn't tell me about the rope mechanics until, not joking, the second to last level. I never needed it and it didn't occur to me to try "rope", but it had its own popup box and mechanics and everything so I don't see why they would do it like that.

On the plus side, it did accept almost everything I could think of in one way or another. And it was only a dollar. I'd be mad if I had paid more.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

drunken officeparty posted:

Paid a dollar for Scribblenauts Remix today. I've never played any Scribblenauts before but it's always looked pretty fun. Nope. Took me an hour to completely beat it even with the poor controls. Very short, and half the levels outright tell you what to do. The other half can be done with just a jetpack and a gun. There's no challenge at all. I could see if it was more open ended and let you be creative, but again half of them literally tell you exactly what to do and the other half are so simple that it won't matter. It also didn't tell me about the rope mechanics until, not joking, the second to last level. I never needed it and it didn't occur to me to try "rope", but it had its own popup box and mechanics and everything so I don't see why they would do it like that.

On the plus side, it did accept almost everything I could think of in one way or another. And it was only a dollar. I'd be mad if I had paid more.
I think the fun is supposed to be in replaying levels and completing them in the zaniest possible way. I've only played it a little but I found getting through it easy, while completing levels with weird methods significantly more interesting. YMMV.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

langurmonkey posted:

If you like chilled out puzzle games, then there is new game called "Hundreds"

This is pretty good, but it needed the Goon recommendation - the launch trailer is terrible.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

drunken officeparty posted:

Spawn an "evil twin". Sit there for hours laughing in amazement at everything he creates.

That's how you're supposed to play Scribblenauts.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Pray For Death posted:

Where exactly do you work? Just curious

And Swordigo's story was really simple, the challenge was in the gameplay. I think the story was about collecting sword pieces to beat the ultimate bad guy, or something along those lines.

I work at a hagwon (basically after school English classes) just outside of Seoul, South Korea. I teach 8-16 year olds. The middle school kids have enough English skills to communicate with simple 2 word "sentences" but thats about it, so it limits my game suggestions.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Wario In Real Life posted:

Spawn an "evil twin". Sit there for hours laughing in amazement at everything he creates.

That's how you're supposed to play Scribblenauts.

That gets boring after about ten seconds. I never got everyone's love for Scribblenauts' free play mode.

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009
So after reading about Swordigo on this thread I downloaded it and I LOVE IT but are there any other good games that are similar to Swordigo with the whole sword/armor thing going for it?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I just noticed that punch quest got a 2012 editor's choice award and it is still featured in the App Store, grats guys.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

KGBAgent185 posted:

I just noticed that punch quest got a 2012 editor's choice award and it is still featured in the App Store, grats guys.

Yeah it's pretty nice, I didn't know it was featured again.

Also we ended up fixing a lot of Punch Quest's money problems. We got a lot of advice on this, but it turns out the most important bit by far was that item prices were just way too low. It's too bad we didn't have that sorted out at launch, but it's doing good enough so that we can still do little updates to the game and add different things. Another good thing is that we'll have more games soon, to direct traffic to Punch Quest and the other way around.

Hundreds is pretty cool. I like this genre of game, I remember it being really popular in 2009. But I could never find a good one before now. It has ciphers in it. Calling this *right now*: ciphers will be shoehorned into tons of high production indie games this year. 2013, Year of the Cipher.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
You know, Rayman Jungle Run is good and all, but in no way is it the best game of the year. It's waaay too fiddly and exacting to get 100% on most of these levels and more often than not I find myself quitting out in frustration afte missing a bouncer by a hair and getting speared by a thorn 20 times in a row. Gross.

Enviro-Bear GOTY 20XX

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Running out of things to do in Cook Serve Delicious and my life is now empty and cold.

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
Apparently the Cook Serve Delicious guy is working on an update for later this month with some additional content, so now your life can be joyous again! But yeah, I know the feeling, I'm almost finished with CSD and I'm sad because it's weirdly really addicting and I've been really slow at finishing it up because I don't want it to be over.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bummey posted:

You know, Rayman Jungle Run is good and all, but in no way is it the best game of the year. It's waaay too fiddly and exacting to get 100% on most of these levels and more often than not I find myself quitting out in frustration afte missing a bouncer by a hair and getting speared by a thorn 20 times in a row. Gross.

Enviro-Bear GOTY 20XX

It's frigging GORGEOUS, though.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Bummey posted:

Enviro-Bear GOTY 20XX

Uhh, GOTY is FF Dimensions, the one game able to keep my attention past 10 hours.

Battlecats gets second.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Last night a buddy of mine told me he had played super hexagon for 200 hours :stare:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

NESguerilla posted:

Last night a buddy of mine told me he had played super hexagon for 200 hours :stare:

That's a tad excessive. Is he at least in the top 10 in the world or something after an investment like that?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe he's just been idling for some sweet hexagonal hats.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chuck Bartowski posted:

That's a tad excessive. Is he at least in the top 10 in the world or something after an investment like that?

I think he is. I forgot to ask him.

I personally don't get the appeal to that game at all.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Hey kepa I figured out how people are getting 500K+ Punch Quest scores. You can bug out the hallucination food allowing you to fight hallucinations indefinitely until you gently caress up and punch the wrong thing.

Leave your Power III skill empty (Or play Spartan and never punch a blue slab)
Punch hallucination food.
Before the timer ends on your food, punch another item that gives you power but not a Power III skill (Power Food, Power I/II slab).
The timer will max out, but reset to not having any Power III skill active. You will still be fighting hallucinations regardless of power level.
Don't punch hallucination food or it will restart the timer and go back to normal. I have not punched a Power-Up or an egg but assume at least the former will restart the timer. Punching a Power I/II slab is safe, punching a Power III slab will start the timer if you ever max out your power meter after punching it.

I've only pulled this off in Spartan Mode, but assume this works in normal mode if you punch hallucination food then power food in succession but this is going to be much less frequently available.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Arzakon posted:

Hey kepa I figured out how people are getting 500K+ Punch Quest scores. You can bug out the hallucination food allowing you to fight hallucinations indefinitely until you gently caress up and punch the wrong thing.

Leave your Power III skill empty (Or play Spartan and never punch a blue slab)
Punch hallucination food.
Before the timer ends on your food, punch another item that gives you power but not a Power III skill (Power Food, Power I/II slab).
The timer will max out, but reset to not having any Power III skill active. You will still be fighting hallucinations regardless of power level.
Don't punch hallucination food or it will restart the timer and go back to normal. I have not punched a Power-Up or an egg but assume at least the former will restart the timer. Punching a Power I/II slab is safe, punching a Power III slab will start the timer if you ever max out your power meter after punching it.

I've only pulled this off in Spartan Mode, but assume this works in normal mode if you punch hallucination food then power food in succession but this is going to be much less frequently available.

I did that by accident one time, I was wondering what the hell I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

Arzakon posted:

Yeah, we've known about it. It's just Spartan mode. We're updating soon, will fix that. And we'll have to clear the scoreboards, too.

• Locked thread