Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

allsizesfitone posted:

Goons, I just got an iPad mini, and I'm looking for good strategy games to play for it. I love the Kairosoft games, and I'd enjoy games like Clash of Clans or Battle Nations if it weren't for the terrible pace without IAP. I'm also not interested in PvP games -- I have no desire to work on something for a week just to have someone who's been playing forever roll through as soon as some stupid newbie protection buff wears off. Anything 4X, turn-based, or strategy-RPG flavored would be welcome, too!

A little late, but I'll contribute my most played games:

Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion: The ultimate medieval/pre-modern war game on the iOS. It features a grand story (I have read the style described as similar to Advance Wars and Fire Emblem) that includes a full map and Codex of all of the formations, nations, and characters. The dialog writing is okay, but the background is really excellent. Almost no Tolkienesque stereotypes like in many fantasy settings. Instead each nation is unique and pretty compelling. The gameplay is turn-based with units that represent about 20 men each (called elements) that can be attached together into formations that gain special abilities, but are also vulnerable on the flanks. You get a limited number of "orders" each turn that represent messengers that you (as the general) send out to your regimental officers.

This game just received an update that completes the current story arc. It contains 51 missions in total. They get progressively better with each campaign, in my experience. I don't know how many hours I have put into this game.

Battle of the Bulge: A recently released game, but it has quickly become one of my favorites. It's probably the one of the best war games on the iOS. It's an operational level, turn based war game. The game is centered around the eponymous WWII battle and features an asymmetric style in which the Axis starts of very strong, but has to reach the Meuse River quickly. The Allies start off weak, but gain a lot of strength as time goes on. You can play either against the AI or online. The players take turns moving their units each turn.

Uberskooper fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

Arzakon posted:

I just played the last campaign, and this was well worth the $10 it costs now for the full game. My favorite iOS game.

Now that I beat it can I go back to wasting time on PunchQuest getting super high scores for them to delete off GameCenter to keep me wanting to play. I'm on to you kepa.

What did you think of the ending? I was kind of surprised that killed off Callius. The whole thing is kind of a nice setup for the state of the world for the upcoming multiplayer game. Everything is in chaos and there are a ton of factions left over with their own goals. I also liked how Livia seems like she is basically going to be the Lady from the Black Company books. She's going to turn the Empire from a "good guy" meritocracy into something more brutal and evil.

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

jhunt posted:

My wife wants a game like Heros of Might and Magic, any recommendations?

Palm Kingdoms 2 is the closest there is. It's pretty much Heroes of Might and Magic 2 in terms of graphics and mechanics with several differences. The graphics on the battlefield screen lack the charm of the original game though.

I think the iOS would be a perfect platform for Heroes 2 or 3. Palm Kingdoms is okay, but its not as pretty.

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

Heartzbane posted:

Has anyone played Slitherine's Legion? The concept seems pretty cool and I'm a sucker for this type of game but the graphics are nothing to write home about. Only $5 but I wanted to what the consensus here is before taking the plunge.

I have been enjoying it. Yea, the graphics are not extraordinary but they work well for a "classic turn based strategy" game. It also runs very well on the iPad. Very smooth on my iPad 3 with no delay for loading or turns. It's a nice change of pace from other turn based empire games (Civilization is particularly terrible and poorly optimized).

The game plays like a cross between an empire builder and Gratuitous Space Battles. The empire map has you doing all the typical 4X things: upgrading cities down a particular path, training armies, forging alliances, conquering territories, etc.

The combat isn't a real time strategy game. Instead you arrange your formations and give them orders on what to do (advance at normal pace, wait then advance, advance then hold, etc.). The enemy does the same and then you watch everything play out in real time. The results of what happens depends on troop match-ups, outflanking, terrain advantages (certain troops do worse in some types of terrain), and breaking moral (based on casualties, troops quality, and level of disorganization due to fighting and terrain). It's pretty interesting, especially when you have imperfect information on what troops and positions the enemy has.

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

Heartzbane posted:

Thanks for that. Sounds pretty good. How much tedious micro-management is there at the empire/city level? One thing I always found frustrating for most 4x games is that once you have more than half a dozen cities/regions/armies, the micro-management gets really tedius.

That annoys me too. The management seems about as tedious as in other 4x games. The fact that everything finishes building in Spring (regardless of when you start) helps a little bit. There's also an "empire management" screen that shows the stats on all your cities. The management isn't tedious enough to make me want to stop playing, but like other 4x games no one can seem to get "handling large amounts of information" right.

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

obi_ant posted:

Any games like Heroes of Might and Magic III? Not that new one that came out not too long ago.

Palm Kingdoms 2 is the closest thing out there. It's a lot like Heroes 2, but the art isn't as rich. It's worth playing though.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/palm-kingdoms-2-deluxe/id438660843?mt=8

The developer is working on a sequel that's supposedly going to have better art.

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood
The iOS has really become spoiled for choice when it comes to casual bird flingers, infinite runners, and lama/cat punching simulators. One genre that is perfect for the touch screen but is sadly lacking is serious turn-based strategy games, especially those that can be played online with others. There are a couple of notable exceptions (Battle of the Bulge, Hero Academy, etc.), but many TBS games on the platforms are poorly designed crap piles.

Well, fans of turn-based strategy are about to receive a new great title in the form of Ravenmark: Mercenaries. Ravenmark: Mercenaries is the sequel to Witching Hour's previous hit, Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion, and fans of that game will find a lot of familiar things in the new title.

What's it all about?

In Ravenmark: Mercenaries, you take the role of a mercenary captain. You choose a company banner and faction allegiance, recruit mercenary brigades, take contracts from the various waring factions within the world of Ecllise, and fight against other mercenary groups in the form of multiplayer matches. Fighting battles and taking contracts will earn you silver and loadstones with which you can recruit more brigades and buy various customization options for your banner. Your brigades will gain experience as they fight, as will you as the "commander," and you will be able to unlock various traits that will help you in battle.

What makes the game particularly fun is the way the battles work. Both you and your opponent issue orders at the same time in the "command phase" and then watch your orders play out in the "battle phase," a system that should be familiar to those who have played Frozen Synapse. You have a limited number of orders you can issue each turn, so you have to set a balance between to reacting to your opponent's strategy while setting up your own.

What about the story?

Just like its predecessor, Ravenmark: Mercenaries has a ton of background. The Codex and world map are back with detailed information on every faction, unit type, brigade, person, and the world in general. You don't have to pay attention to the story if it's not your thing, but the background is actually pretty good. The developers have done a good job at turning the typical fantasy tropes around on their heads. For example, the game contains elves but instead of being tall, long lived, and good at everything they are feral, greedy, and savage.

Let's see what it looks like already!

Here are a few screenshots and a gameplay trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdXyB2ABbuI

When can I play it and how much is it?

The game has been released as a soft launch in New Zealand, Australia and Singapore. It will be out for the rest of the world on July 11th, so the rest of us will be able to download it this week. The game is free and you can get nearly all of the game's content without paying. You start with some silver/loadstones and you can earn the rest by taking contracts and fighting multiplayer matches. You can support the developers by buying one of two "collector's editions" that will give you give you various banner customization options right away as well as a few unique brigades.

If you're in one of the soft launch regions, you can give Mercenaries a try for yourself:

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/ravenmark-mercenaries/id560444634?mt=8

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

Ghostlight posted:

It's in the NZ one - I downloaded to have a look at it, but it wanted me to Facebook or sign up for an account to do anything so I deleted it.

It's a multiplayer game and consequently requires an account to play.

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

Ghostlight posted:

I own many multiplayer games that do not require accounts to play, and several more that just use the device ID as a 'temp' account that you don't need to fiddle with if you never move devices, and others that give you an introduction to the game and are then like "let's get this started right! Gimme your details".

I saw a loading screen, a title screen, then an account page. The account page even includes a 'Continue as Guest' option that does nothing but reload the account page! I'm not making an account for something I don't even know if I'm going to play for more than ten minutes.

Heh. I'm playing on the beta version and I had no idea that they planned to do a guest mode. The problem is that your experience, silver, and brigades are linked to a particular account. It's a bit like a character in an MMO in that sense. I don't see how they could do a guest mode.

Here's a gameplay preview with developer commentary that they just put up for those folks that are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFX4oeAqnPY

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

Trustworthy posted:

The horror game Home is on sale for 99¢. I recall hearing that it's amazing or whatever.

http://appshopper.com/games/home-a-unique-horror-adventure

Hey, is Ravenmark good and goon-approved? It's on sale now, but I can't remember why exactly I put it on my watch list ages ago.

Ravenmark is absolutely good and goon approved. The multiplayer sequal, Ravenmark: Mercenaries, just came out and it is also excellent. You should check out both. They are without a doubt the best medieval/early modern warefare style turn-based wargames on the iOS.

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

mortons stork posted:

Hello iOS games thread, I'm about to leave for vacation and I'm going to have long plane rides and bus segments, and I'd like a few suggestions on some little things to play during those segments beyond the usual endless runners and puzzle games. I was kind of looking at Xcom but 18€ is a pretty steep pricetag for throwaway entertainment during dead segments and I'd wager playing on a tiny iPhone screen is not optimal, so is there anything to scratch that turn based strategy itch? I'm not too worried about throwing a couple euros some dev's way so long as the game is not filled with iap bullshit. I'd also want to ask if there's any new neat puzzle games came out recently, as the most recent I own is the cut the rope expansion and the gimmick has gotten kind of tiring.

Check out Ravenmark, both the original single player Scourge of Estellion and the new multiplayer focused Mecenaries. It's one of the deepest and most interesting turn based strategy games on the iOS and the best medieval-style warfare game. I'm surprised more goons aren't talking about Mercenaries on here. Sometimes interesting games do get discussed, but this thread seems to be mostly about llama murder simulators.

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

priznat posted:

Any good 4x games out lately? Or is that Masters of Orion clone still the best for casual players (I have it already).

Yep. Check out Autumn Dynasty Warlords. It's a neat blend of 4x and tactical strategy. Here's a review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzALfmEcbqI

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood
Whoever has the game now needs to hurry up so that Kepa will post the next code.

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

Kepa posted:

Yeah in the easier areas you really don't need to use the spells. That changes. We try to limit backtracking just by not making the areas too big. I think we could tweak map generation a little more to limit backtracking further, but that would also make things more linear. Maybe in another game like this I'd make the levels just a bit smaller, even though they're not big now?

Urg iCloud urg. I hate iCloud. Maybe we'll do something else, like dropbox syncing or some other save file export. Not sure what your swiping problem is, without seeing it. Right now the swipe is a hard flick, we plan on also supporting slower swipes. Maybe that will help.

Yes, it's exactly what Mage Gauntlet was supposed to be in the beginning. We just didn't know how.

Haha yeah our flip screen thing is pretty ramshackle right now. Rockworms do suck. They're a much harder enemy than the others in the area, balanced somewhat by how they only do half damage to you.

New code: FEX67XPKN3R7
Note: Whoever gets the code has to beat the first boss as the Rogue. After that, I'll post another code.

Got it! Will post feedback.

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

Duranki posted:

Please tell me you redeemed that, like, 30 seconds after Kepa posted it.

Maybe. I was at lunch with my wife and thought I would check the forum while she was in the restroom. I'm playing through the tutorial now. I'll try to get done quickly and post feedback.

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood
The game is harder than Kepa eluded to. It's very fun so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood
I thought I would post some feedback on Wayward Souls. I have played about a dozen games as the Rouge so far (would put in more but I have to prepare a lecture) and I have been having a blast. I have not beaten the first boss, but I have reached him twice. At first I thought I would have trouble recognizing him, but once I got there I had no doubt about who he was.

The game is quite difficult, but in a fun way. Health regenerates only a little bit after each level of the dungeon, so you have to develop quite a bit of skill to win. Otherwise you will reach the boss with only a little bit of health like I did. I died a lot, but my frustration was assuaged because the core gameplay is as fun as it was in Mage Gauntlet (possible more so) and because I felt like I was still making progress even if I didn't make it far. Each run resulted in some coins that I could use to upgrade my abilities to help me do a little better next time. This and the prospect of unlocking characters, dungeons, abilities, and equipment make it easy for me to see how this game will have a lot of life.

In the little bit of time I spent tooling around with the Sorceress, it looks like each character will have a pretty distinct play style. The Rouge took a bit of getting used to since she is so different from Lexi, but once I got the hang of it I started to do better.

The procedurally generated dungeons have quite a bit of variety. There are also story elements that seem at least in part procedurally generated. Every once in a while I encountered conversations with other characters or between ghosts. I didn't expect this and was pleasantly surprised.

I played the game on my iPhone 4 and there seemed to be a bit of slowdown when there were a lot of things happening at once. This was only noticeable in the tutorial run with the Paladin. I got slow down when I was outside in the rain. The initial dungeon of the main game has been lag free so far. I'm not sure how much you can optimize the game, but it would be nice to turn off some of the fancier features to reduce slowdown. I assume some of the later parts of the tower will feature some more graphically intensive elements than the mines have.

Hopefully Kepa is happy enough with this feedback to post another code. Thank you for posting these codes. I think it's generating a lot of excitement and I hope it's giving you useful feedback. I don't want my poor playing ability to hold you guys up. If not, I'll keep chugging along.

Edit: Okay I beat the first boss fair in square. I thought for sure I was going to die, but I got him. All of the above comments still apply. I'm getting pretty noticeable slowdown in the tower. I walked into a big room and it was a little jarring on my iPhone 4.

Uberskooper fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 21, 2014

• Locked thread