Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeryn
Jan 22, 2008
Amateur Lurker

nomapple posted:

Do we start getting new apps again tonight? I never know when the iTunes freeze runs from/until.

iTunes Connect was down from 12/21 - 12/28. It still takes time to get through review, but new versions/apps should start showing up again shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeryn
Jan 22, 2008
Amateur Lurker

DNK posted:

I think games that rely on push notifications for their gameplay are terrible abominations. If you can design a fun game without relying on notifications to drive the user then I guess they're ok. I guess this is like "Your bank has generated $0.01 in interest! Pick it up!" every 5 minutes vs Puzzle Craft.

From a dev standpoint, there's a pretty big difference between push and local notifications. Local notifs are the 'Your tiny cow is ready to harvest' messages. Push notifs come from the server and are for things like remotely triggering 'Hey! Did you know that today is Friday and therefore you should play this game right now?' for all users.

I'd definitely implement local notifications if you have timer based events in the game. Most people turn them off if they don't want them and use them if they do. It's easy to get your app lost in the noise and this helps people remember that it exists and they liked it. You can get away without push notifications much easier.

devilmouse posted:

I can't give specific numbers, but yes, having 4.X stars has a very measurable impact on your downloads.

edit: You'll notice smart apps put the "rate this!" prompt just after a big rewarding occurrence (free cash, level ups, etc) so the player is more inclined to be like "Hey, I did like this!"

This is entirely true.

• Locked thread