Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

It's pretty cool. Don't forget to go to the main menu after you've been playing for a bit because you will have unlocked a whole new branch of puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
New expansion coming to thread fave Battle Academy: Operation Husky.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
I cannot remember a game as universally hated as ATB. Wow.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/final-fantasy-all-the-bravest-on-ios-is-a-steaming-pile-of-in-app-purchasin
http://kotaku.com/5976753/final-fantasy-all-the-bravest-is-46-of-in+app-purchases-looking-for-a-game
http://pockettactics.com/2013/01/17/psa-do-not-purchase-final-fantasy-all-the-bravest/
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Final+Fantasy%3A+All+The+Bravest/news.asp?c=47851

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

ChocNitty posted:

I've never played Riven (sequel to Myst). Is it any good?

It and Myst were literally the best-selling games of all time until The Sims came out.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Invisble Manuel posted:

Are there any of the Playdek games that are actually good/fun in single-player mode? I don't think I'd play multi-player very often, if at all, so I'm hesitant, even at 99 cents. Does any particular title stand out, from an AI point of view?

Ascension is fun single-player. Summoner Wars and Penny Arcade less so.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

SynthOrange posted:

Man, Summoner Wars is a bit disappointing. It was only 99c to get everything during the sale though. :v:

Summoner Wars sucks single player - you gotta play it online to get the most out of it.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Rap Game Forum Mod posted:

Therea that Kings Bounty game, iPad only I think tho.

It's awful.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, VVVVVV just made me want to punch a motherfucker. Video games do lead to violence, call Wayne La Pierre

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Nice hat-tip to Nimblebit in Pixel People.

It's cute, but it's not the equal of Pocket Planes. There's literally no fail state, it's just a treadmill. The TouchArcade reviewer comes close to some self-awareness about this in the first paragraph of her review, then disregards the epiphany and hands it five stars.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Clocks posted:

If we're going to be comparing things to TT/Pocket Planes, then I am pretty sure both of those have no "fail state." That's kind of the nature of these games -- you keep building things up and unlocking new things. If you want things blowing up or dying you can go play some FPS instead or something. :psyduck:

e: I mean, on the other hand I guess I can sort of understand the criticism? "how is that a game? so, you can't lose? what do you do?" I think my boyfriend literally had the same reaction when I first showed him some of the iphone games I was playing. I guess some people can't see how you can have a game where there is no real "conflict" or competition. :shobon:

I completely see where you're coming from, and I'm not trying to be acrimonious in differing. You like what you like, I like what I like, &c.

That said, by definition, a game has to have a fail state, or at least challenge. I didn't bring up Tiny Tower because that one wasn't a game and didn't hold my interest at all. Pocket Planes has a couple of fail states though: 1) you run your airline into the ground with unprofitable routes (admittedly difficult) and 2) your flight crew doesn't win that week's challenge.

Pixel People has none of that - it's not a game. I'm not saying that to be some kind of game chauvinist, I just want to explain why it doesn't appeal to me, and why I think it's odd that a games review website would give it a perfect score.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry, Shalinor. :eng99:

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Fazana posted:

Well after another few races my car was looking fairly beat up in all of the categories so I put it in for servicing for each part. The car will be ready to use again in 6 hours 14 minutes. I can of course use IAP currency to fix it now. You get 20 to start off with and I got 5 more for reaching driver level 2. It wants 14 currency points to remove 6 hours of repair time.

Holy christ, RR3 sounds terrible. Is there at least a token $5 IAP you can buy to skip most of that bullshit?

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

porktree posted:

I just read TA's review of RR3 - ha, what a load of crap. I should have known when I saw Brad's byline not to expect much.

Not seeing it. Did it get pulled down?

Really looking forward to the comments on that review where TouchArcade's entire readership freak out over the IAPs and TA's staff call them all idiots. :munch:

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

io_burn posted:

Seems like everything we do with Real Racing 3 pisses people off though, so, there's that.

That might have more to do with TA's "everyone who disagrees with us is a moron" attitude than with RR3.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Feenix posted:

Real Racing has already adjusted its timers and such to be more forgiving. Repairs are instant. Service timers are... Lessened.

Why the heck would they do that? I thought it had be pretty clearly established that anyone complaining about the timers was a whining baby idiot who needed to get with the times.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Feenix posted:

Acting like the overwhelming public opinion is that "Shut up, quit being cheap, you panzy" just because there are 2 vocal sides to an argument on the more volatile discussion forums is taking it a bit far.

I was making a joke on the Something Awful Dot Com Internet Comedy Forums. :ssh:

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Is there anything like Faster Than Light on iOS? I know it's been hinted at in the future, and I know about Star Command (which will never be released), but I really love FTL and would kill to get my fix on the go.

Try Shifts: http://appshopper.com/games/shifts

People at Pocket Tactics and at BGG have compared it to FTL. I don't personally see that connection but its a pretty sweet game.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
When are they going to reopen the Ouya thread? I feel like some comedy gold has been missed in the past weeks.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

ZoDiAC_ posted:

What's the best city building sim? Sim City Deluxe looks broken in several ways. I installed it a ways back and the one type of road annoyed me, plus the water needs never settling down. There's a few that look like basically portals to shill in game content.

There is no good citybuilder on ios yet. Tragic because the genre would work perfectly on a touchscreen.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Geburan posted:

What ever happened to M&M:CoH? There seemed to be a lot of enthusiasm at first, but then it went silent. Still a good purchase?

It was pretty good but had a bunch of problems. The interview that the devs did with Pocket Tactics didn't leave me with much hope for an update anytime soon.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Shalinor, you should give it a couple of weeks before you make any drastic changes. You launched in a tough week, there was like five or six other infinite runners launching last week, in a market already saturated with infinite runners. You've got some good buzz, give it and the reviews a chance to work.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
People really like Dungeon Plunder so much? What am I missing?

The combat got really repetitive really quickly, especially once I realised that all of the enemies are basically the same.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Posted these over in the Star Command thread earlier but here's the first couple of previews of said game:

http://pockettactics.com/2013/04/08/these-are-the-voyages-star-command-hands-on-preview/

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/04/08/ign-plays-star-command

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Downloading Idol Words right now. You'll feel the fire of my wrath if it sucks, Monster.

The fire.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Samara posted:

I've probably spent over $200 in Simpsons Tapped Out.

It makes me nauseous to think about.

It makes me nauseous to read that. What is wrong with you

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Abrakadaver posted:

The SC forums are fairly quiet but the devs do seem to be listening to the criticisms so hopefully there will be some bamf patches before too long.

The reason the Star Command forums are quiet is that the game has no replay value at all. What the hell is there to talk about?

I know Touch Arcade's score inflation is just kinda the way it is but them giving SC a 4.5 out of 5 has still got me scratching my head.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

LIMBO KING posted:

Can you post the link? Itunes search is just tossing up an ace combat soundtrack.

It's only out in Canada where it soft launched a few weeks back.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

what. What is this. Tell me more about this.

Not just a WWI air combat game, but one designed by Sid Meier. It's been in soft-launch in Canada for a while now. Here's an interview with Sid about it.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

SquadronROE posted:

Are there any good Napoleon-era strategy games out there for iDevices? Or non-WW2 era strategy stuff at all?

Not Napoleonic but Great Battles Medieval is about to come out for iOS. For general strategy games you could probably do worse than just look at the last few reviews at Pocket Tactics.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Corridor posted:

There's an iOS Ultima game?

It's a freemium horrorshow from EA.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Parkingtigers posted:

Pocket Tactics is reporting that XCOM drops this week for $20. No news yet on filesize or whether it includes the hats DLC. (Seriously the game is better with the extra hats and armour options.)

The post in question: http://pockettactics.com/2013/06/17/flip-your-chryssalid-xcom-for-ios-hits-this-week/

I definitely want to know how limited the maps are. That was the PC version's biggest weakness. Brilliant game, though.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

foobar posted:

Can someone tell me if this game uses a virtual D-pad? I've never played an XCOM game on any platform and I'm looking forward to trying it out, but I can't stand virtual D-pads.

Yeah, as goferchan said, there's pretty much no way in hell this will have a virtual d-pad. Watch a gameplay video of XCOM on YouTube and you'll see how unlikely that is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ighuZOpTc

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
The Immortal Heroes expansion is out for Ascension: http://pockettactics.com/2013/06/27/never-say-die-immortal-heroes-is-out-for-ascension-ios/

If you play Ascension, go get it!

If you don't play Ascension, please sterilize yourself.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Corridor posted:

Oh no loving way, I've been hoping for a sale on this forever, and then I miss it because my piece of poo poo router dies?

You've waited two years to save four dollars. Just buy it.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
First screenshots of the new Transport Tycoon:
http://pockettactics.com/2013/07/19/all-aboard-first-screenshots-of-transport-tycoon-for-ios-android/

I don't think I've ever been this excited for an ios game before.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Beastie posted:

I snagged Eclipse after wanting to scratch a Sci-if itch I've had lately. I've never been into board games or turn based games like it, and therefore am kind of bad.

Any advice?

Try the iOS boardgames thread, brother. This thread is slightly more inclined towards alpaca clicking sims and tiny trains.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

porktree posted:

Since I started playing FTL on the PC (thanks GOG) I'm even less enthused by Star Command. I hope for an update but I'd rather have FTL on my ipad.

Also - have I missed the beta invite for Nimblebit's Train game? I'm the one that gave them the idea so I can't imagine this.

Star Command is just a straight-up bad game, and moreover, the devs are the most disorganized stoners on earth. If those guys manage to get out a single meaningful update to the game I'll be shocked.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Bummey posted:

Take a look at rockpapershotgun's article on space hulk. It sounds pretty bad and I'm kind of totally bummed right now.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/16/wot-i-think-space-hulk/

Rab Florence has a real hate-on for the game for some reason. There's a less angsty take at Pocket Tactics.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Parkingtigers posted:

I've never hated on EA directly, but mention Origin Systems and I get dangerously close. My first ever PC games were from them.

Origin would have hosed themselves up if EA never got around to it. Remember that the driving force there was Chris Roberts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

foutre posted:

So, is Star Command actually good? I read the reviews and I'm a little worried that it's just a Kairosoft in space (which isn't bad, just something I've done a lot before).

Star Command was one game that a lot of the big review sites just got straight up wrong. It's really repetitive and unfunny.

• Locked thread