Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FreakyZoid posted:

Is there something wrong with my ipad 3 or does Fieldrunners 2 HD really take a couple of minutes to load?

The load times are horrible and I really don't get it. The version you're playing has even been patched to "significantly reduce load times."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dungeon Village isn't a very good Kairosoft game. I didn't spend nearly as much time with it as some of their others.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Heroes of Order & Chaos seemed pretty cool at first but now I'm pretty sure the remainder of my experience is going to involve waiting 20 minutes to join a game filled with dudes who've spent 200 hours on it and murder me instantly. Also for some reason I'm not allowed to play as the elf lady I bought with my F2P PAYMENT CRYSTALS.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Rokstar posted:

Hahaha, oh man. It's completely horrible that you basically have to be an rear end in a top hat to profit on the app store, but... there you have it, I guess.

Well with a F2P game, yeah. I'm thankful we never hit the "All games will be F2P in the future!" dystopia people were predicting.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I played through The Walking Dead and regretted many of the decisions I made, but I never wanted to restart because it was my story, and poo poo happens when you have to make decisions without being able to carefully measure every aspect of them. I hate it when the attitude that every consequence must be completely controllable and preventable by the player gets worked into a game - life doesn't work that way.

Also, you can't skip scenes so it's agonizing playing through the game again.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I preferred the focus on the puzzle boxes. Sometimes I just want great puzzles with a story focus without having to spend all this time navigating between scenes to get what I need to solve them. The clever mechanical and aesthetic design of the puzzles in The Room is what makes it work.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

psylent posted:

Is there anything like Dungeon Keeper on iOS?

There's nothing like Dungeon Keeper anywhere, except for a couple games on PC that are kind of like it (but not really).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What's a good file manager to use with iMame? iExplore doesn't turn anything up in the app store.

Edit: Oh, I guess it's a PC app. I was hoping for something that could integrate with Dropbox on the iPad.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

In general, gently caress this wave of games that hook you then expect you to pay money to do anything past a day or two of playing. It's loving frustrating how much these games subvert my limbic system and then poo poo on it. It's getting to the point where I might just stop playing iOS games if this crap keeps up.

There's tons of iOS games that don't use some stupid energy mechanic. Thankfully the f2pocalypse never ended up happening!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

I never implied there was some "f2pocalypse"

I never said you did :confused:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh my god they put a timer in Real Racing. That's just so depressing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

goferchan posted:

I have a pretty good hunch it's going to turn out to be an excellently designed IAP cash grab and make them way more money than selling timerless versions for $10 would.

Yeah probably, doesn't mean people deserve ridicule for being disappointed by it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kenny Logins posted:

I like how many people roundly and soundly deride free-to-play titles but then having nothing to say to those who (proudly) state that they wishlist things in Appshopper and just wait long enough for titles to eventually go free, as a primary iOS gaming strategy. They may even be that kind of person themselves.

Haha, why do you think anyone who derides lovely F2P schemes has to agree with you about Appshopper or whatever in order to seem reasonable?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

io_burn posted:

I guess it's just really interesting to me that it seems like more often than not the people who most vehemently hate free to play are also the same people who will wait eternally for a sale... All the while completely lacking the wherewithal to realize that it's this exact behavior pattern that has driven developers to free to play in the first place.

You see this everywhere on the TouchArcade forums.

Yeah there's certainly that aspect to it that seems pretty common, especially in the Steam thread. However, all I know is that I'm free with my money when it comes to non-F2P games so I'm not The Problem. I'm not one of those dudes even though I can't stand most F2P models but apparently it seems like it when I express disappointment that a followup to a series I enjoy has implemented timers.

I know I'm not the majority that these studios need to cater to either, but that isn't exactly a comfort.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kenny Logins posted:

I didn't mean to paint a target on you specifically, mang. I also use Appshopper, particularly in the way you do that I bolded. I was just saying that for every statement of "argh free-to-play killing good games" I would expect to see one about people who wait for everything to go free... but I don't, and it's weird.

Yeah I see what you're saying. Based on how I originally interpreted it, I just don't think it's fair to expect people to account for how other people act when expressing their own feelings on something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, I think most people are really just pissed at the timer-based stuff. If everyone adopted a League of Legends pricing model I doubt there would be many complaints.

Yeah, I like Punch Quest because the "get rewards faster" model is waaaaay better than the "you don't get to play anymore unless you spend money" model.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TACD posted:

Excuse me? I don't know if you two are joking around or if you are seriously mad at me for giving away codes that were, wait for it, being given away. Would you like me to post my iTunes purchase history as validation that I waste enough disposable income on games to participate in this thread?

It's pretty much a given that if anybody discusses F2P games the two dudes here who make them will start dropping rad posts with sick burns everywhere.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Started playing Year Walk last night and I get the impression solving puzzles will require a bunch of note taking which kind of nullifies the "play in the dark" approach. Oh well.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TACD posted:

The companion app won't spoil anything. Think of it as giving some backstory to the game and the encounters in it; it's probably even a bit of a stretch to say it gives you any hints. Feel free to browse through it all whenever :)
It really doesn't. I started scribbling a lot of stuff down at the very end because I was very stuck but I was also not on the right track with my solutions. There's a couple of parts where you need to remember something but that's it.

The first things I encountered were three different examples of "remember this sequence of directions or symbols" but if they don't keep doing that then that's encouraging.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Don't know a thing about Warhammer, but Warhammer Quest is looking fantastic.

Edit:

Yay!

If this is based on the pen and paper game it'll be loving dope.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bummey posted:

I thought it was a bit difficult, myself. There was just something about the frame rate that made it hard for my eyes to follow the puck.

I'm pretty sure when the game first came out a while ago people were talking about how it was way too loving difficult.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jut posted:

No I understand perfectly, IAP's make more money. But I was hoping there would be a pocket SimCity style game which was an upfront cost.

Yeah you're just going to end up disappointed. Those types of games lend themselves perfectly to horrible energy bar and wait time mechanics so no one's bothered to make a decent version of SimCity.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

marshmonkey posted:

Wouldn't it be something if they actually made SimCity for iOS?

It sure would! It's too bad all that's currently on the app store is a pile of poo poo with a brand name on it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The only thing keeping me from playing The Quest is that I no longer use an iPhone and I don't think it's likely they'll ever port it to the iPad.

Unless - does it not look terrible stretched out to fit the iPad screen?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wario In Real Life posted:

A dude literally used :goonsay: and he's the one being obnoxious?

Yeah, crazy, huh?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fazana posted:

How did the changes in how you monetise your game go Shalinor? Will you make your dev money back at least?

Moving controls talk to a more generic form, personally I'd love for there to be a proper api for a bluetooth controller. Just playing an emu with a classic controller on a friends jailbroken ipad a few weekends ago for a few minutes was enough for me to wish it was a properly supported option. If they are working on one (although the only story I've seen they are couldn't have been more vague) please don't let them think of pulling a fast one and make it only compatible with newly launched units etc.

Bummey loudly states that anyone wanting a console type experience on IOS is wrong, perhaps on an iphone as I've never tried gaming on one but on an ipad it doesn't seem so unreasonable. I don't see the harm in thinking every now and then you could prop your ipad on your knees or desk, coffee table etc and using a controller race very fast or blow poo poo up etc.

I travel a lot and my iPad has taken the place of the personal laptop I bring in addition to my work laptop. It's pretty stupid to act like a controller API wouldn't be a great thing because wanting to play console style games on iOS is "wrong".

I have an Android phone and it natively supports controllers, doesn't seem to have hindered anything on the platform. I don't really play games on my phone, though, it seems more suited to reading books or forums when I'm on the toilet or eating lunch.

Edit: don't mean to contribute to a derail or anything. The Awful app hadn't loaded a bunch of posts when I responded.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 1, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Rokstar posted:

Yeah that's the thing. I would theoretically buy an iOS game controller, but there would need to be support for it out there.

But hell, I practically use my iPad as a laptop when I travel anyway, give me some FPS games and let me use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse with them.

Gameloft has a controller sold in Apple stores but it only works with their games. Apple could help matters by implementing a standard controller support method so developers don't keep having to do it themselves from scratch.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

It's important to note that 3's perform worse than 2's despite having a faster CPU because of the retina.

Buy a mini, they're fantastic.

How important is that to note? How common are performance problems on the 3 compared to those on the 2?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Framerate stutters a good bit in more graphically demanding games, if that matters to you. For normal games/apps they feel identical.

I haven't really seen any issues in any of the graphically demanding games on my 3 like Storm Raiders and Vice City, except for Real Racing 3.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

eeenmachine posted:

A high quality premium $5 game. The IAP haters should be buying this in droves right?

Why are you starting this argument out of nowhere? What's wrong with you?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I buy tons of $5 - $10 games for my iPad and I'm happy to contribute to experiences like Year Walk.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

Essentially what you guys are saying is, if you want a good game, don't bother with the iOS. Doesn't matter what the cause of it is, the majority of iOS games are crap and will probably continue to be crap until apple changes their system (which they won't because they've openly been disdainful of games in general)

iOS still has a ton of great games. I loathe the F2P model and my iPad is packed to the brim with games like Baldur's Gate, Year Walk, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Bard's Tale, Avernum, etc. There are a lot of developers out there who just genuinely don't want to make F2P games.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

Do NOT get Minecraft Pocket Edition. Get SurvivalCraft instead. It's cheaper, and contains more actual Minecraft features and content than the official mobile version. It's a far superior experience in every way.

It's pretty amazing how the developer of SurvivalCraft managed to care more about making a Minecraft game than the actual developers of Minecraft.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Survival craft can't have good controls, right?

It's a first person game on a touch screen. The only thing it could possibly have is "good controls, for a touch screen".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TACD posted:

I took one look at that game and decided it looked uninspired and awful. I'm going to guess I wasn't alone.

Are you saying there's more to successful iOS games in a market absolutely inundated with thousands upon thousands of games than just solid IAP schemes?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Max22 posted:

Space Miner: Space Ore Bust has a long, goofy story and multiple difficulty levels; it's debatable how non-linear it is, but either way it's really, really fun.

Space Miner is really cool and it's really sad we'll never see a sequel because the developer didn't make enough money off of it, then decided F2P meant guaranteed success in the iOS market and didn't make any money off of that, either.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just hope they don't treat it like Mojang did its Minecraft port.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

robodex posted:

What was wrong with the mobile port of Minecraft? I played it a bit on PC but didn't really get into it so I never tried it on mobile. All I know about it is people have said it's bad for some reason but I haven't heard why.

It's really, really stripped down from the PC version. Small, limited worlds, no day/night cycle, and a lot of other missing things with a developer who says he doesn't know if he can implement many of the missing features.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hey Merchant to the Stars guy, your game sounds like it could be really awesome but I'm just completely bored of it after a few hours because there's no depth or strategy at all. Also there are too many menu navigations needed (go into desk, go into person, go into every single item, go out to lobby, go to forge…) to the point where it's annoying, especially cause your buttons are too small and badly placed (I'm talking about the return button).

Yeah, as it is Merchant to the Stars seems to be about half of a really good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

We are Remembering Richard Matheson in our iOS Crossword Game, Crickler today. http://bit.ly/Sof4X7 Free download.

I just threw up.

• Locked thread