Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Klungar posted:

I thought I had read that Ghost Trick was free, but having saved the dog, I now find that I have to spend $10-$15 to unlock the rest of the game. Did I just misread, and if so, is it worth the money to unlock the rest of the chapters?
If you can get past the excitable Japanese presentation I think the story is one of the best in any videogame. Every chapter has me going "OH WHAT THE gently caress" at something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

delfin posted:

May I presume that if sending a PM and handful of emails about the writing gig resulted in months of silence, I shouldn't bother this time?
I applied in May and was told to expect an email with contract paperwork in it shortly. I'm beginning to think I may have been friendzoned :(

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Beelzebozo posted:

For what it's worth, I would happily hire both delfin and TACD to write for my website, if I had one. They're both extremely bright and excellent writers.
Not sure what I've ever written on the forums that deserves this praise, but thanks :3:

io_burn posted:

Oh poo poo. :(

Let's do it this time, both of you. We get absolutely inundated with idiots sending me dumb things that all sorts of stuff gets lost in my email all the time.
I would love to but I'm no longer in a position where I can set aside enough time to do the job justice. I will let you know if that changes though :)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Iacen posted:

So, I bought Spacechem Mobile because it was... 3 bucks?

This is gonna be insane in the later levels, isn't it?
Nah. It gets insane a long way before that.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oh poo poo, you guys. I never bothered with Minecraft or Terraria but all you loving jokesters raving about it, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Load it up, eh, this looks kind of dumb. What do I do? Oh, I can dig and stuff like that, huh? So how do I make stuff?

Oh gently caress, now it's four hours later and I'm on a round-the-world cruise in my little boat with a shitload of food and supplies I've harvested from my little garden and the epic mining complex outside my front door. I sailed past some kind of hosed up whirlpool thing. You guys, when you get halfway round the world the stars at night move in a different direction. Holy poo poo. I just murdered a dodo and found an emerald in a secret cave under the ice near the South Pole. It's taken me loving forever to get here, I don't know if I'll ever get home :(

Also - how do you dye clothing? I made some yellow powder stuff, how can I apply it to things?

Edit: What's going on here? This vertical column of water was acting like there was a hole in the earth way below that it was getting drained into...

TACD fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 11, 2013

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

tuyop posted:

One more blockheads tip. If you're going to attempt to circumnavigate the globe, it's vital that you befriend a donkey and don't let him fall down a cave and disappear.
Furthermore, take more than one workbench with you. I ended up having to slowly slog through the freezing south without a campfire (and my poor dude on 0 health) because I'd built my second base camp near the west pole and it never occurred to me that the world could be so big.

How do you get leather?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

withak posted:

Quoting this again because this game is incredibly fun and I feel bad that I got it for free.
Glad people are finally finding it, I posted about it like three times in the previous thread and I don't think anybody listened. It's amazing fun and possibly the best use of the gyro I've seen.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

jellycat posted:

On that note, does anyone have any recommendations for iOS roguelikes? I've tried looking into it a little bit, but I've never really followed iOS gaming.

Ideally, I'd like something that's a little more Shiren the Wanderer than Nethack; in either case, I'm looking for a straight roguelike rather than a game with roguelike elements.

Just for reference, I'd be playing on an iPad Mini.
There is actually a NetHack app. It uses a graphical tileset but I don't know enough about NetHack to tell you which one.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jik Waffleson posted:

Has there been any talk about Rails yet? Apparently it's a remake of Shortline Railroad, but I'm not familiar with that one.
I don't know what this is but the screenshots really grab me. I'll try it out.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jik Waffleson posted:

Has there been any talk about Rails yet? Apparently it's a remake of Shortline Railroad, but I'm not familiar with that one.
Verdict: Ugh, don't get this. It looks like it should be a sort of satisfying, connect-the-stations-together and manage the trains kind of game, but it's something weirdly different and not-fun. It's achingly slow, difficult to draw tracks where you want them, and most frustratingly it will send trains out of stations just as another one is about to go in, and there's not a lot you can do to prevent crashes. I mean, I get that that's supposed to be the game but unless you're expected to fill every bizarrely-long level with a fugly mess of track all over the screen there's not much fun in jamming a train awkwardly between two switches until the game stops throwing other trains down the same piece of single track towards you.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Just got an iPad. I meant it for just work, but a game or two couldn't hurt, right? :negative:
Two questions. What good brain burning puzzle games like train yard, spacechem, and English country tune are recommended?
No physics, reflexes, or matching 3. Single player luckless abstracts against an adjustable ai or games involving words or assembling shapes count.
Also, I just downloaded ghost trick. For free. Really? Is there something wrong with it? Is it missing content from the des game? I cannot comprehend that I just downloaded ghost trick for free.
As well as what's been suggested, I recommend Huebrix and Aqueduct. Also Entanglement is lighthearted and a bit puzzley with multiplayer if desired :)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Letterpress chat:

I was playing against a random opponent and I managed to spell the word triclosans. The player resigned the game and I got a thing in my notification bar from him calling me a cheater. Does anyone know how to send texts or messages like this? Because yeah, you're so smart if someone spelled a word you didn't know it automatically means they're a cheat :rolleyes:
The only thing I can think of is when you send a game invite it lets you change the default message text "Do you want to play a game?" Otherwise GameCentre doesn't support messaging that I'm aware of.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

marshmonkey posted:

Can we all just agree that 0.99999999999 (repeating) equals 1?
Oh poo poo, I'm having another flashback.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Chuck Bartowski posted:

UK code for Rayman: Jungle Run

WAA39Y9ANTW3
Nobody else had grabbed this so I took it, cheers! :)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

FlashBangBob posted:

Little Inferno is god drat fantastic and worth every penny of the $5 I spent. If you like puzzles and word association, and liked World of Goo, get this loving game.
Well this is not what I expected. But I like it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

SquadronROE posted:

Little Inferno! Fire is awesome.
It really is. The games gets quite strange and darkly poetic especially towards the end. I've completed it and am still going back to hunt for combos and generally set things on fire. I love the attention to detail in so many things, like the iPad that makes an old Mac chime when you drop it, the Duck Hunt ducks that you can shoot by tapping them, stuff like that

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

What was the goonsensus on Incoboto? Is it unique enough to be worthwhile?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Honestly I think part of the problem may just be that the mobile format simply supports games that lean towards 'casual' far better than it supports in-depth, complex gameplay. Partly because it is on a phone which people are more likely to play while on the toilet or in line at Starbuck's instead of sitting down on the couch for a couple of hours after getting in from work, and partly because the touchscreen interface restricts you to a few simple controls (or a horrible mess of virtual controls).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Shalinor posted:

Related question: does a game popping up wanting to send you push notifications color your initial opinion of the game? I'd like to say it doesn't for me, but... I think it does. I immediately mash "no", and if the game is F2P, I immediately assume it'll be a scummy one.

(Yes, I ask because I am literally sitting here, dithering about whether I actually want to make my game do "that." Currently leaning to the "Punch Quest didn't, so I won't either" side of things.)
Am I right in thinking that the text in the iOS notification cannot be changed? If so would it be possible to instead bring up some kind of splash screen where the game asks you specifically, "Would you like to be notified when you have new widgets available to be crafted?" with a yes/no slider, which then triggers the iOS dialog? I'd be way less suspicious of that popup if 1) I'd summoned it myself and 2) The app had told me specifically what things would cause notifications.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

psylent posted:

I've been playing SongPop with a friend of mine for the past two weeks. We've exhausted ourselves on it and can't play any more.

Are there any decent turn-based games we can play?

edit: Not Words With Friends or Drawsome.
Get Carcassonne! And/or come over to the board games thread and get some other classics. I've probably put more hours into Carcassonne than any other iOS app.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It's iPad-only but I haven't seen anybody mention DrawQuest yet. It's really quite delightful :3:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Who doesn't?!

Is there a decent snake iOS game?
This, on the other hand. is your grandma's snake game

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bummey posted:

I actually did all this just before the cloud save removing update pushed. I see the update in the app store, but haven't downloaded it yet. I guess the cloud dissipated anyway, and my game was looking for something that wasn't there. :bravo: PIXEL PEOPLE

"These timer games just need to go away forever," he says as he loads up a timer game.
Stop doing this to yourself :( Come play another game of Carcassonne instead :D

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I deleted a game the other day (I think it was Pixel People but I'm not sure) and I saw a dialog I haven't seen before, telling me that local data would be erased but iCloud data would remain untouched until I went to manually delete it from within Settings. This seems like how iCloud Should Be Done but I haven't seen anybody else actually do it that way.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Courtesy of Starbucks UK. Go hog wild.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

eeenmachine posted:

Way to support premium developers man.

marshmonkey posted:

FREEEE CODEZ!!!!!
Excuse me? I don't know if you two are joking around or if you are seriously mad at me for giving away codes that were, wait for it, being given away. Would you like me to post my iTunes purchase history as validation that I waste enough disposable income on games to participate in this thread?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Flame112 posted:

How well does the interface work on an iPod Touch?
It's actually pretty OK, they've done a good job of redesigning how all the in-game menus work for touch input. They even tied the tech-tree inertia to the inertial scrolling on the phone :glomp:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bummey posted:

Ugh. gently caress you today, 7 Little Words.

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I looked at that and thought "hey that looks like a fun game" and got it. I've gotten this far and am stuck.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

porktree posted:

I'm just going to say PUZZLE RESTORER. Go buy it and have fun. What else is like this?
I like this, it's very relaxing :) It's not entirely dissimilar to PathPix or Huebrix, you might like those as well.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Splits posted:

Bit Dungeon is awesome on ipad. It's a dungeon crawler Zelda-like game and I hope they add much more to it. Buy it if you like crawling dungeons.
I think sometimes goons recommend things and I enter a zombie-like buying mode. This is fun though. I beat a miniboss on the second dungeon and went from a Lvl 1 sword doing 7 damage to a Lvl 6 sword doing 30 damage plus a mess of other awesome stats, is this normal? Also I got something that goes in the lower-left area, can I use this or is it just passive?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bummey posted:

Soul, the blue heart? It will revive you once if you die, but you will respawn without ring and magic. If you tap it, you will be teleported to the spirit realm where you'll die from a ridiculously powerful boss. Don't even attempt to kill him until you're, like, above level 40.
I had Lightning, then Posion, now I think it's Chaos? I'll try the tap-and-hold that Splits suggested. I'm currently one-shotting everything short of boss monsters, I guess it'll be a while before things level up to match my awesome dark sword of doom.

Edit: Why are there two save runes at the start of each dungeon?

TACD fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 21, 2013

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goferchan posted:

Did you find the horse-person in the river? Drag him out of it-- the companion guide (and the silhouettes floating around him) will hint you need to bring the baby to him (you can navigate with one finger while you drag the baby with another!) but then, of course, you will need to find three more. Keep an eye out for bloodstains like the ones near the first baby you found.
I'm at pretty much the same point, and I'm stuck trying to get the fourth baby. There's a section of the woods with blood on the ground and drops flying upwards but there doesn't seem to be anything for me to do to make it appear. I think I need a hint :(

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

YeahToast posted:

It's a 4th wall type puzzle
Oh! This was a good hint, thanks :) The clues for what I had to do seem very obvious now, I feel dumb.

goferchan posted:

I'm actually not sure how I ended up solving this one but if it's what I think I did that triggered it, it was something that wouldn't really work if the game weren't on iOS, yeah

Or, explicitly, I'm pretty sure I knocked the ghost loose by either pulling down the notification center or double-tapping the home button to bring up the task manager
You have to turn the device upside-down. Which explains why it only plays in one orientation (I was about to bitch about that, ha).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Grimmeh posted:

Which puzzle was this? I beat the game and I don't remember having to do that.
Getting the fourth baby for the Brook Horse - You described how to get the other three (which I'd already found), and there's a fourth one in some trees between two paths. There were blood spots on the ground and drops falling upwards - there may well be another way to make the baby appear, but given the upwards rain and the fact that the baby's ghost outline by the horse is also upside-down, I think this is what you're meant to do.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OK, in Year Walk (again): I went through the gate, and was at the puzzle with the four stones - I solved it by accident, so somebody is going to need to explain the reasoning behind it! :( I'd tried looking up Swedish runes to 'read' the main gravestone, looking at the runes in a mirror or halving them along their axis of symmetry; I tried looking at the tree markings by each creature's icon and counting how many points and things they had, or noting down which 'layer' of the woods the tree appeared on. Obviously none of these were it, what did I miss??

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goferchan posted:

You were on the right track looking at the drawings on the trees -- when you were in the dark building, inspection would have revealed duplicates of all those runes, each of them with some dots nearby. Use the trees to figure out which rune corresponds to each animal, then raise each statue at the church to show the proper number of dots.
Ah, thanks :) Are the symbols on the main gravestone just nonsense in that case?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Allan Assiduity posted:

Just started Ghost Trick and after playing through the first chapter, I'm liking it. Is it worth shelling out for the full game (even if it's ~£7) now, or is there a point where the game gets really lovely that isn't worth playing or something? I can always read around the end if I'm curious about the plot if the gameplay gets bad, y'know?
If you can get past the EXCITABLE JAPANESE PRESENTATION (which if you've finished the first chapter you already have) then Ghost Trick is fantastic all the way through, and I was pretty much screaming 'WHAT THE gently caress' at my iPad at the end of every chapter. Pretty sure I had a couple of very sleep-deprived nights when I was first playing it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goferchan posted:

The runes on the one with the two fingerprints on it? Given that the designer is a college professor who lectures on pagan folklore, I doubt they're insignificant/nonsense, but nah as far as I know they don't provide any necessary puzzle-solving information. I think they might get referenced in the post-game companion app stuff, though.
I meant the gravestone in the middle of the penultimate puzzle, where you raise the four different stones to varying heights

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Froist posted:

Ok thread, you've bullied me into it and I've bought Year Walk. How does it work with the companion though, does the game tell you when you should flip over to the companion? Should I be looking things up in there as my curiosity's piqued, or is there a risk of spoilers like that?

(I'm at work at the moment so haven't fired either up, sorry if it's explained immediately!)
The companion app won't spoil anything. Think of it as giving some backstory to the game and the encounters in it; it's probably even a bit of a stretch to say it gives you any hints. Feel free to browse through it all whenever :)

Fallom posted:

Started playing Year Walk last night and I get the impression solving puzzles will require a bunch of note taking which kind of nullifies the "play in the dark" approach. Oh well.
It really doesn't. I started scribbling a lot of stuff down at the very end because I was very stuck but I was also not on the right track with my solutions. There's a couple of parts where you need to remember something but that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

DaveKap posted:

This may have been brought up in this thread before, so sorry if it's a repeat, but I was trolling Appshopper for diamonds in the rough and came across a freemium game called Coaster Crazy. I'm not too far in so maybe I haven't seen the dark side, but the roller coaster tycoon fan in me is in love with the way this game is built. Your building of the coasters actually affects how much over-time money it will earn you. You're basically watching Psychonauts characters do Rabbids animations as they ride your coaster. You've got actual challenges to try building towards. There's even an end game (unheard of for premium!) on the moon that, though I haven't reached it, sounds like a huge sandbox to build whatever you want with additional goals that earn you pay-for currency. Oh yeah, did I mention you build roller coasters with tools that actually make sense?

OK done advertising, just wondering if you guys know of it and if it's still this enjoyable as I keep playing.

Edit: Just hit the paywall where I have to wait an hour just to build my next coaster. So much for that!
Yep, this was pretty much exactly my experience with this game. If they'd just charge a fair amount for it up front and be done with it I'd be all over it.

• Locked thread