Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I don't know why I did it, but I started playing Farmville Fighters Clash of Clans.

I refuse to spend any real money on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Bummey posted:

New Star Soccer!
Can't recommend this enough. So loving good.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Is there anything like Dungeon Keeper on iOS?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
drat you. I thought you meant that Evil Genius had been released for iOS, I just searched the App Store and came up empty :argh:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

concerned mom posted:

New clash of clans update is out, does anyone play? It looks like they've added a third resource I can't afford., dark-elixir.
I think it's just you and me playing it, downloading the update now.

It's funny, I've been avoiding it for months because I thought it was an IAP crippled piece of crap but I decided to give it a chance during the Christmas break and really enjoy it. I just pop in for 5-10 mins each day and do my upgrades/launch an attack/whatever. I haven't spent a cent on it yet and don't plan to but I am having fun with it.

If you're patient, you really don't need to spend any money at all. I just wish there was some way of restarting your game.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

marshmonkey posted:

I haven't actually played much so I might be talking out of my butt here but I saw someone else mention that at high levels you pretty much have to spend cash in order to defend against being constantly raided by high lvl players? Is this true?
Bloody hell, that sounds insane. I'll quit playing before if it ever gets that silly.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Are there any good Qix style games? I'm in the mood

There's a game who's name I can't for the life of remember. Came out around 2009. Something like Dr Awesome, but it used the Qix gameplay mechanic to cure people of disease by cutting out germs. There was a cheesy storyline to go with it as well. I'm sure someone can name it.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

xelfer posted:

Going overseas, so far i've grabbed these games for the ~24 hours of flight: the walking dead, PvZ HD, blockheads, the room, infinity blade 2.. any other suggestions for long-ish games that could help pass the time quickly for ~24 hours of flying?
- Kingdom Rush (best TD game on iOS)
- Tilt to Live (what is says on the box)
- Solomon's Keep (think Diablo extra lite)
- New Star Soccer (manage a soccer player's career, digital crack)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I was out seeing a band the other night and suddenly realised that I was wishing there was a business sim where you manage a music venue.

You'd need to book top bands, hire staff, set ticket prices for each show, hire staff, set prices for drinks etc. It could have mini games like controlling the lights during a show, balancing the fine line between making an audience wait too long for a band to come on/building their anticipation etc.

Hilarious parody band names like The No No Nos, Lady Googoo, Werewolf Weekend, King and so on could be employed.

You'd start off managing a lovely little back room venue in a bar and progress up to stadium arena type dealies.

Could someone sort that out for me? Ta.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

ambushsabre posted:

This is a really good idea. How is this not a kairosoft or even worse, a Zynga game yet?
If only I had the skills, knowledge, infrastructure, time and motivation to do it.

The idea could obviously be fleshed out a lot more, but I think it would be awesome.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

radge posted:

Could be a rare treat from NimbleBit making a game that involves some actual gameplay but I won't hold my breath.
I liked SkyBurger, Textropolis and Dizzypad, but Frog Fuckers, Tiny Tower and Pocket Planes weren't my thing but I wasn't personally offended by them.

psylent fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 29, 2013

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Is there anything like Clash of Clans without all the IAP/days of waiting?

A simple game where you build a little base and an army and launch attacks against a series of increasingly stronger enemies.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Are there any fun and free-of-freemium business sims out there? Something along the lines of Pizza Tycoon.

After a bit of a search, I might give Karnival a try. It came out in '09 before people had really figured out how to exploit the poo poo out of IAP.

And for some reason the iPad version is cheaper. :woot:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I had an idea for a sim about running a music venue a couple of pages back that people seemed to like. I have no skills, time, equipment etc but if someone stole that idea and made a game out of it I'd be very happy.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

elmer fud posted:

I'm a little short on cash atm... Any free games?
Get New Star Soccer, it's free with limited play but you can unlock the full game for 99c.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

junglistvip posted:

Anyone here play Clash of Clans? I'm far too addicted to it.
I've been playing since Xmas (level 39), I'm at the stage now where upgrades take 3-5 days so I'm only really logging in once a day for 10 mins to tidy up and collect coin/elixir. I'm going to spend the next few weeks slowly upgrading everything as much as possible before launching any more attacks.

It's always fun to make 6-8 bombers and 120 goblins and then search for a juicy target to quickly top up on coins/elixir.

edit: I just joined Crusader Kings.

psylent fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 11, 2013

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Yep that's the one. I just scraped in at 893 trophies.

Is there a thread for Clash of Clans? Should we all agree to only donate archers? They're awesome for defense against raids.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

DrManiac posted:

So any clash of clan tips? single player in particular. I always seem to get my force wiped out before the idiots take out the only things attacking them.
There are walk through videos on YouTube to help. I've used them when I've got stuck.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I've been playing SongPop with a friend of mine for the past two weeks. We've exhausted ourselves on it and can't play any more.

Are there any decent turn-based games we can play?

edit: Not Words With Friends or Drawsome.

psylent fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 13, 2013

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Abugadu posted:

Letterpress is pretty good and the strategy element is simple yet deep.
I'll give it a go. I'm usually a bit crap at word games and my friend is a writer. I'm going to assume he's going to spank me hard.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

TACD posted:

Get Carcassonne! And/or come over to the board games thread and get some other classics. I've probably put more hours into Carcassonne than any other iOS app.
Will do, is it good for just 2 people?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
It's not out in Australia yet. :australia:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I just finished Little Inferno. Not sure what to think really, it was really well made but after working out 25-30 of the combos I started getting quite bored. Used gamefaqs to help me through to the end.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

slogsdon posted:

Crusader Kings has some goons in it if you want a clan.
I'm up in there. I'm donating Wizards to all you bitches.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

FYI:

In honor of Henry Ford's 150th Birthday Celebration, Crickler is featuring puzzles on the Man, The Machines and the Company. Solve the Ford puzzles and share that you've completed them through Twitter and you'll have a chance at one of TEN $50 gift cards to Amazon!

Free app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crickler-2-daily-word-puzzle/id427784181?mt=8
Oh please do gently caress off.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Toy Defense is free today

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

ZerodotJander posted:

Looks like a dude trying to talk about iOS games getting poo poo on because at one point he tried too hard to promote a game that wasn't fun or indie enough.
He's always in here promoting lovely games and attempting to do market research.

Match 3D - a terrible bejeweled clone in 3D. That horrible financial crisis game, and others that I can't remember. So now whenever I see a post by "VideoGameVetCEO Phd" I cringe.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Davincie posted:

If anyone wants an endless runner that looks good and plays well (multiple ways past most obstacles) Epic Knight from the Tiny Heroes guys is pretty good and free. As long as you upgrade loot first you barely notice the standard iap as well.
I'm a sucker for these games when they're done well, thanks.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

j4on posted:

Would anyone like to recommend a good, not puzzle or word-based, game without IAP or grind mechanics? I can feel my patience for grinding growing shorter and shorter. Ridiculous fishing was fun, amd appreciated the lack of IAP, but its still just grind to win. It's fine if the game ends in an hour of play. That's pretty cool, really.
Give Kingdom Rush a go, it's the best tower defense game on iOS. There is IAP but it was added as an after thought and you can play through the whole game without ever even feeling the need for it.

New Star Soccer CONSUMED my life for a couple of months. It's free with a 99c fee to unlock the full game. You manage a rising soccer star's career, make choices about how you spend your time (training/fans/team/girlfriend), which skills to work on etc. It's a really clever little game and I just couldn't put it down.

Swordigo - side scrolling Zelda-lite

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I've been playing the poo poo out of One Epic Knight. If you're into endless 3D runners, this one could be for you.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
:australia:

At work, but grabbed Nimble Quest from the app store. Took a 15 min toilet break and am happy to report that this is the first Nimblebit game since Dizzypad that I've really liked. Hooray!

I've joined #somethingawful as RedShirty.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
If the next mini has a retina screen and more processing power I'm going to sell my iPad and grab one.

The current one... eh.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
^^^ get out of my head

I like some endless runners with upgrades and optional IAP. Am I a monster?

I played the poo poo out of Temple Run and am currently addicted to One Epic Knight, I've spent hours playing it and am close to getting all the achievements. I spent $3 on the coin doubler and after a week of playing it spent another $2 on a bunch of potions.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Keystoned posted:

Plants vs zombies.
This is free now? I can't believe I paid $3 for it! I only played it for 40-50 hours. :mad: WHERE IS MY VALUE FOR MONEY?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

jakewastaken posted:

Man, I paid like 10 bucks and did the same thing.
I think I paid $5 for the HD version for the iPad too. I've sunk a stupid amount of hours into that game.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

obi_ant posted:

Halfbrick's new game came out. Out of Water. Game is pretty simple, grab a fish and skip it. I joined the SomethingAwful league. Only 4 members so far.
Halfbrick games are a day 1 purchase for me. I've spent about 15 mins playing Fish Out of Water and while it is pretty simplistic, all the challenges will keep me playing for a while. They've got a great track record of updating their games as well. Worth the purchase.

On another topic: I'm getting a bit tired of seeing games with "retro" graphics. I don't need fully rendered amazing looking 3D masterpieces, but there's plenty of horsepower available to drive these games. Luna Bears, Kingdom Rush, Plants V Zombies, Rune Raiders, even Triple Town - all these games have really nice 2D graphics.

psylent fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 19, 2013

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Despite the simplistic game play, I've found myself unable to put halfbrick's Fish Out Of Water down. The mini-missions keep me coming back like a junkie for one more hit.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Also, Mushroom Wars (iPad only) http://appshopper.com/games/mushroom-wars

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Does Ace Patrol have Cloud Sync?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Det_no posted:

I have to say, Dead Ahead is probably the first endless runner that has gotten my attention in a very long time if only because it looks gorgeous. I just wish the ads were a bit less annoying but I guess that's just all the more encouragement to throw the game a couple bucks.
I'll have to give it a go, I've been playing Jetpack Joyride on and off since it came out. It's a pretty good pooping game.

• Locked thread