Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of Frozen Synapse, anyone up for a game? My username is robot_cousin.

I can't play an entire game right now but I'm more than willing to start one if you'd like. Username quiggy, up for any of the Dark modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

This thing reminds me of the GBA Micro, which was also a bad idea:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Does anybody know of any good 2 player games, competitive or cooperative, that can be played on a single iPad? I'm trying to find some but a Google search is less than helpful.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'll take a look at them over lunch today :)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Eschers Basement posted:

Welp. https://www.slidetoplay.com just declared Plants vs. Zombies 2 as their Game of the Year 2013, thus ensuring that I never take one of their reviews seriously ever again.

Oh, God, I just read their justification. "PopCap didn’t litter the game with a bunch of roadblocks and annoyances like many other freemium games. Instead, they give players loads and loads of content for absolutely nothing, and lets players who want more power-ups or quicker access to plants and levels to pay to unlock them." HAHAHAHAHA Either they didn't play the game until EA completely loosened the premium currency, or they don't care what they say so long as the advertising money rolls in.

Yay game journalism!

Yeah good thing I don't need to pay $4 to unlock the single most useful plant from the original game :rolleyes:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Original_Z posted:

Sounds like Questlord or The Quest is what you should be looking at.

Questlord looks awesome :eyepop: Is it actually as good as it looks and how well does it play on iPad? The low-res art looks like it might not scale up well to a larger screen.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Underwhelmed posted:

It is pretty drat good, and even has a rogue-like mode if you don't want to play through the actual non-random quest. It looks a little blocky on the pad and the interface is pretty clearly designed with a smaller screen in mind, but it is still good.

Awesome, thanks. I'll pick it up next time I'm looking to burn some money on a game.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Samara posted:

Nintendo is loving retarded. Even one old Mario kart game with multiplayer would print money on iOS.

Animal Crossing on iOS with IAP clothing. Think of the money they'd print.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Yodzilla posted:

Apparently some garbage game called Flappy Bird figured out how to mega game the App Store's ranking system: http://www.bluecloudsolutions.com/blog/flappy-birds-smoke-mirrors-scamming-app-store/

:aslol:

Oh my god I just downloaded this and gently caress this game :suicide:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Helmacron posted:

My friend who plays clash of clans came over to my house on monday and I was drunk, like, you know, and wilely and just plain loving rude I turned the conversation to Flappy Bird, which this girl who was there kept playing some weird copy of it that's slower and easier, and then conversation sort of dipped, from there, after I let the girl play the original version of Flappy Bird on my iPad, into this wistful and fuckin' plaintive call for the simpler times, of games ala C64 etc., which is such a funny and ignorant conversation to be involved in that it makes me clap my hands gleefully, like a loving scélérat with a loving chat, like when you meet an American from Atlanta who hates black people and you shower in this beautiful idiocy and pray no one ruins the flow of delicious stupid.

Then around the metaphorical conversational corner, Clash of Clans peeked, and this real ugliness and loathing reared: people wishing harm to players of it, voicing utter loathing of not just the players, but who they are as people, and how they live their lives economically and socially and as if their foulness for playing this game is tangible and real and renderable to glue and by-products etc with this denouement that enveloped time and space and the viscerality of the CoC's meat bubbled with disease and a moistly discharging viral load being wetly ground & amputated from like a loving unshaved armpit/groin.

My friend frowned, like, and quietly deleted Clash of Clans as he stood awkwardly in the doorway, and whatever hard work he'd invested from a year, that lost time like a ragged flag in the wind, all soiled and lonely kinda with the embedded rope ringlets tapping hollowly on the steel pole when no one is around, and he is currently 600xp ahead of me on Duolingo this week, for French, which I'm only learning so I can read voyage au bout de la nuit that I picked up at a garage sale because it looked interesting and I thought it was just like, weird offshoot invested passion but I just looked in his car, and on the dash he's got already fondled and creased print outs of conjugation of manger and boire and I'm like, stuck going que and laquelle and c'est quoi and c'est quoi and c'est quoi

I love you.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ultimate Mango posted:

What's the catch with duolingo? I assume it's not really free but there has to be monetization at some point.

There is no catch as far as I know. The monetization comes from people uploading documents to be hand translated by users so they can hone their skills.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Adding to the love for Calculords in here. It also makes me realize how loving terrible and lazy I've gotten at being able to do simple math :smith:

Calculords is pretty great so far. I'm tempted to drop the $2 or whatever to remove ads and get a third card when I win matches but I'm not really sure how worth it it is. Thoughts?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

jubelio posted:

Massive hint for boss #2:

his row B is nothing but kamikaze bombers. Let him fill the entire row and send a single 1 damage dude out and wipe the entire lane. They dont even need to be right up next to each other. Makes the encounter pretty trivial.

pumpinglemma posted:

I don't think the second opponent is too bad. The key point is: None of his troops have push. That means that as long as you play one troop in each lane per turn, he can never actually reach your base. So you can almost ignore two of the lanes and put all your tough units in the third one to break through. Also bear in mind that his middle lane is special, like jubelio pointed out.

I get both of these points but I swear every time I fight this guy I end up getting into a situation like this:

Seriously, what the hell am I supposed to do here?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Time posted:

I really enjoyed Calculords and card city nights. The whole earning new cards and building decks thing was really fun. What should I try that's similar?

If you're ok with waiting the iPad beta for Blizzard's Hearthstone is supposed to come out in a few months. If you get it on PC and set up Splashtop you can play it on your iPad immediately.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

duckfarts posted:

Trainyard is down to a buck again, and it's a great puzzle game even if I can't get past this one loving puzzle still.
http://appshopper.com/games/trainyard

Anybody else having Ascension crash when loading a game after the last update?

E: never mind, just saw there was an update a few days ago for this

I love Trainyard, but my old Android phone broke when I only had two bonus puzzles left to solve and I'm not sure I can go through that pain again.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Thwomp posted:

So ummmmm.....I'm not sure i'd consider this a win.

:stare::stare:

This game looks pretty neat but I don't really want to plop down $4 on an impulse buy. Would you say it's worth it? It looks kind of shallow, is it?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

The Dave posted:

Jesus Christ. Have you ever tried a new food or drink? It's a $4 risk.

The Dave posted:

Jesus Christ. Have you ever tried a new food or drink? It's a $4 risk.

Please tell me more about the current state of my finances, thanks.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Not expensive enough?

I hate you :vd:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Rexicon1 posted:

Actually, are there any games that people are excited about coming out soon on iOS besides FTL (which I'm going to play on the PC like a goddamned adult)? Or is the iOS still a wasteland of IAP and timer games?

Hearthstone is also supposed to iPad soon, the game is pretty much perfect for sofa play.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Feenix posted:

Do we have a rough release window? I played some beta but want the poo poo outta this on the pad.

I believe they implied that the current test season is the last one before the first real season, and the first real season is supposed to coincide with the iPad launch. Assuming that's true we're less than two weeks out.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Kepa posted:

Yeah we're about to submit Wayward Souls. Here's a 20 minute long video where I talk about it: http://toucharcade.com/2014/03/21/gdc-2014-wayward-souls/

I still need to check out Cardinal Quest 2. I avoided it till now because the first one had almost no tactical element to the combat. In its goal to simplify the genre it accidentally threw that out too. But I'll check out the sequel.

Speaking of :pcgaming: ROGUELIKES :pcgaming: there's one coming out this week called Shattered Planet. It's pretty cool so far, the only downside is that it's not so much tactics based as it is grinding based. Not as bad as Dungelot though, as there's still elemnents of avoidance/running, potion throwing, and the grind is a lot more pleasant. I got a code from the developer who I've known for awhile due to a PC game they made, seeing if they'll come on here.

I only grabbed Cardinal Quest 2 yesterday but so far it is way, way better than the first. It's still a simplified roguelike but there's actually a decent amount of decision making and the difficulty seems to be pretty good. Also as of right now at least the IAP is completely inoffensive and optional.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm actually waiting to play this when it releases on iPad. Magic on the iPad is a much better fit than Magic on PC and I imagine this will be similar.

Playing Hearthstone on an iPad via SplashTop feels great, I can't wait until the game runs natively on the tablet.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

theblackw0lf posted:

In Cardinal Quest 2 I take it you can only have one type of item at a time? (ie. weapon, armor, boots, helmet, etc...)

So if I pick up a weapon the other weapon I had is immediately trashed?

This is correct.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Bad Munki posted:

Does that mean it's supposedly out now? Because I can't find it on the iTunes store. :(

Comes out on the 3rd. Two more days :)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

ddogflex posted:

FTL!!!

So excited. I wish I didn't leave my iPad at home today. I've wanted this for iPad since I first played it on PC. Seems like the perfect iPad game. I don't really like playing games on my PC, but can see myself spending a disgusting amount of time playing this on the iPad. This is my most anticipated iOS game ever and I'm surely going to be disappointed! Yay hyping myself up!

You're not going to be disappointed. It's literally FTL with a fantastic touch interface and a shitload of new content.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Javid posted:

Hooked on FTL. But why the gently caress does another ship cloaking stop your weapons from charging? This is the stupidest mechanic.

If it's any consolation it works the other way too, enemy ships don't gain weapon charge while you're cloaked.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Kenny Logins posted:

Incidentally if it worked that cloaking didn't pause your/enemy weapon charging, using cloak to dodge bombs would be a hell of a lot easier.

That said the way it works now is probably best because it impacts the player way more than any given enemy ship, and you'd be getting a full salvo pretty much every time you left cloak if enemies kept charging while you were under. It would be a decent rule tweak for hard mode though.

It would be nice to be able to get a full salvo after the boss's cloak, but that's pretty much the only enemy that it really matters for. Cloak is an annoyance more than anything else.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

FlashBangBob posted:

My game, Electrium, went live in the app store this morning.

It's not the next Candy Crush, Boom Beach, or even Tiny Tower. Its tough to do so as a one man shop.

No ads, no popups. It does have one in app purchase, but I decided when I made the game to make the in app purchase the opposite of what was pissing off people most about in app purchases (the only way to get ahead is to pay for it). If I make 0 dollars on this game, I'm totally cool with that.

iPhone only for now, but its free so give it a whirl. Its a good game to enjoy while having a poop.

Oh poo poo yes, I love space traders. I'll give this a go in a little bit and let you know what I think.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I think your game has a good amount of potential, FlashBangBob. It would be really nice if you could queue up some of the shorter missions, I wish I could set it to mine spacerock until I'm out of fuel or storage space instead of having to check every three minutes. Also I worry a bit about the game's longevity, I'm not sure there will be enough disorder in the stock market to actually make it interesting. Time will tell, of course, but these are my impressions after building a third ship and dicking around for a bit.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Is the market price a closed system based entirely on player interaction? For example, can I flood a market and drop it's price?
If so, do you think building new ships and doing electrium runs alone will be sufficient to prevent the market from bottoming out?
I'd suggest introducing random events for each mineral, one positive and one negative so you can have outside forces act on the market. "Earth needs platigold, demand skyrockets" and "prices dropped on synthetic sodalt, massive surplus"

The stock market doesn't exist in a bubble and everything from weather to politics has an effect on prices.

I believe it's entirely a closed system, I sold off a bunch of stuff I didn't need and the price dropped. There's also a stock market that gets unlocked for a given corporation when its total value goes above $5,000, but as of right now nobody has cracked the point, the top on the leaderboard right now is Thwomp Limited with just shy of $3,000. What the game needs is more interactions and more rare resources, plus a way to engage in corporate warfare. That's why I said it has potential (and I'm gonna keep playing until the stock market starts to open up because maybe that will help) but at the moment there's not anything really going on. I don't know if anybody even has an electrium miner yet.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Man, I have to go to bed and am gonna lose my #2 spot on the Electirium leaderboards :qq:

At least I got my way into the stock market.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Vulgar posted:

Electrium dev, I would like to suggest the ability to either sell ships or just get rid of them. I'm not very happy with my current fleet configuration and would live to be able to swap ships out

In addition, can we have the ability to dial in specific amounts of items to buy/sell or amount of money to spend on shares of a company? I have a fairly large amount of cash on hand at the moment and buying shares is incredibly frustrating.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pegnose Pete posted:

I'm new to iOS and I'm trying not to go nuts and buy a bunch of games at full price.
Is there any way to predict major sales?
I am interested in XCOM and Superbrothers: Swords and Sorcery.

Sales are entirely up to the developer, so if they're not saying anything then there's no way to know. In truth I wouldn't expect XCOM to go on sale any time unless the expansion ever actually hits iOS, but as of right now there's no evidence that it ever will. It's easily worth the $20 though, you're buying a full-fledged AAA title. I don't know anything about Superbrothers so no comment on that :v:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pan Ache posted:

Does WH Quest make anyone else's phone heat up like crazy?

Yes.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

priznat posted:

Any good 4x games out lately? Or is that Masters of Orion clone still the best for casual players (I have it already).

A MoO clone, you say? What game is that?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

priznat posted:

Had to go look it up, but it is "Starbase Orion". I think I got it as a freebie and it is decent but not fantastic.

That's a shame. I'd kill for a good MoO2 clone.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Rexicon1 posted:

Quiggy, there will never be a good MoO game again, give the dream up.

Why do you do these things to me

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I'm ok with it, I had a share of Albumen :v:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

bvoid posted:

Also, Frozen Synapse is $.99 today, and they added Push Notifications and Game Center support, for whatever that's worth. I've never played it for iPad, but I had some short-lived fun with it on PC.

Get this game, it's amazing. I haven't played for a while but if you get it and want a goon to play against my username in-game is "quiggy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Sock The Great posted:

XCOM? I've been playing for months and it's never crossed my mind that it's anything like XCOM.

It's a collectible card game similar to Magic: the Gathering, but without the 20+ years of bloat and steep learning curve that comes with MtG. It has a reasonably fair free to play model. The basic cards are earned by leveling up each of the nine classes, rarer cards are acquired through packs (you receive 5 cards with at least 1 rare per pack) with in game gold (packs are 100g/pack). Gold is earned by completing a daily quest (worth 40, 60 or 100 gold) or by competing in The Arena. Many players have achieved the highest possible rank (Legend) without every spending a dime.

tuyop was describing Frozen Synapse.

• Locked thread