Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Mr EFord posted:

Hey Goons!
I'd stick a reply in if I met all of the criteria, instead of just two. Oh well, I'm sure there'll be another opportunity!

Final Fantasy Tactics is pretty good so far; it runs much faster than the PSP version did, although the random crashing is disappointing to see. It also seems to insist on zooming in to 120% at the start of the map, meaning that I have to adjust it at the start of each one; is there a way to fix that, or do you just grin and bear it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

People use Happy Street challenges? Maybe it's because I've gotten most of the achievements for it (which is really sad), but I can't use it.

io_burn posted:

Keep in mind, willingness to stick around is the most important qualification. I've been dealing with this really irritating trend recently of people just vanishing shortly after I get their paperwork all set up. I think three of our best writers had zero pre-TouchArcade games writing experience beyond just being forum posters here and other places.
That's good to know! If the experience isn't a massive concern, I'll probably be able to lend a hand come September-ish, since I don't think the age requirement can really be waived. If it isn't a massive deal, I'll stick an application in; if it is, c'est la vie.

Ursine Asylum posted:

I will grant that, but the price of an app is inversely proportional to my willingness to suffer through problems that app has.
In many respects, it seems to have understood the crashing issue and dealt with it appropriately. People giving it one-star reviews for crashing don't address the fact that in combat, you are back at the beginning of your turn and the text-based cutscenes are speedy and are mostly can be skipped. From an iPhone 4s, it controls fairly well as well.

Again, it's expensive enough that I can't wholeheartedly recommend it. But if you're on the fence and can afford it, I'd say "go for it".

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

The rear end Stooge posted:

Well, dealing with it appropriately would involve figuring out why the crashes occur and fixing them, but credit is due for implementing a frustration-minimizing workaround.
Given that it's Square-Enix, I'm surprised there isn't £10 DLC for the crash fix :v:

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Is having a US credit/debit card an inescapable barrier to getting a US store account? I'd quite like to play Puzzle & Dragon, which is unfortunately not on the UK store, and trying to set up a US account gives me this barrier.

Obviously, apologies in advance if this is not the territory of this thread or what-have-you.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

kontona posted:

anybody here play dominion? it's a risk-clone with asynchronous multiplayer. when it's working (server's usually down) it's pretty great.

also, any recommendations for async multiplayer games? i liked uniwar and hero academy but looking for something new.
Stratergy seems pretty good, in the similar vein of Risk-clone (with slightly more customisability/less polished rules). I got it from the first post, and the community for it doesn't seem too big - but it's an interesting game.

Of the TCG games that are around, are there any that are particularly good/interesting and should be tried, or...? I'm not a massive fan of the genre but happy to give it a go.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

No progression, I believe the rest of the avatars come with the various expansions.

Since it was asked on the other page, I really enjoyed the expansions as well, except maybe the promo cards. gently caress the Rat King.

It's also fun that you can mix and match any of the expansions and change victory points, which allows for more types of strategies.
Haven't bought Ascension yet, but are the expansions basically necessary for it to get good/interesting? If it is, I probably won't pay the £3 or so it initially takes to get it, unless the expansions are like a quid each.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Ascension is really good so far, bit of a shame that Summoner Wars isn't really as good from what I've seen - it seems kinda like there's a lot more IAP for a minimum of content, like that Magic game on iOS.

If anyone fancies a game of Ascension, my GC is AllanAssiduity; it seems like it's best online, although the actual online component can be kinda fiddly for games larger than two people. Could arrange a few four-player games if people wanna try them; I've only got the base game and the first expansion so far, but I think the £0.69 offer might tempt me into getting the other two soon.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Optikalusion posted:

Just want to say that Magic offers a lot of content in the base game and the standard decks are still top-tier competitive even after all the expansions. Never felt cheated by that purchase.
Based on this and Bulletproof Tiger's posts, are there multiple Magic games in the store? :confused: For mine, the base game was free, you start the game with two unlocked decks and unlock more by beating opponents (presumably), but a third of the cards in each deck aren't available until you use them to beat an opponent, and once "unlocked", they're added straight to the deck and you don't seem to be able to edit them.

I dunno, between that and a "would you like to buy premium content?" after every game is kinda silly in my opinion.

zonar fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 20, 2013

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

I personally don't care that much but tend to hit "no" regardless, largely because if I don't turn it off then, I'll turn it off as soon as it inevitably bothers me. If your game has push notifications, I'll likely delete it later, since that little alert button does get on my nerves - but that's only after I've stopped playing, so it doesn't actually factor that strongly into your plans.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Just started Ghost Trick and after playing through the first chapter, I'm liking it. Is it worth shelling out for the full game (even if it's ~£7) now, or is there a point where the game gets really lovely that isn't worth playing or something? I can always read around the end if I'm curious about the plot if the gameplay gets bad, y'know?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

goferchan posted:

(Is there a chapter select?
There appeared to be on the main menu, not sure how much control it gives you in terms of content you've yet to 'play'; I can imagine the tutorials being a massive pain in the rear end, to replay, though, even if I think I'm free if them for now.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

#SomethingBones is the best guild named after the best character. #SomethingAwful is for babby scrubs.

To my understanding, the system that's been set up rewards many guilds with a few members rather than a few guilds with lots of members, so it's better to diversify to stop people dominating. It's also more fun.

Downloading iCut now, incidentally, thanks Bummey.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Has anyone played the 'Towelfight 2' app yet? I heard it was like Legend of Zelda/Binding of Isaac but on iOS and it's apparently had the controls improved in a patch. Anyone got any thoughts/feelings before I take the plunge on it?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

waste of internet posted:

PLEASE! Someone save me from Megapolis! It's loving horrible but here I am, playing it! The graphics are easily the best part, because they remind me of Sim City, but I'm obviously going nowhere, fast, because I'm not about to spend a single dime on IAP.

It's basically just an art game, for me. I add/delete/move buildings around, while taking a poo poo. I'd pay $20 for a game with the same art style, minus the money farm aspect.

Basically, I wanna create a city, develop roads and have sex with trains.
I was also about to ask this: what is the 'definitive' city-building game on the App Store? Games like Tapped Out are purely IAP generators and I imagine most city-builders are much the same (like Megapolis). Are there any good city-builders out there, or is it purely a system for IAP cash-grabs?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

I'm far too used to playing Nimble Quest with all the upgrades, so now I can't beat past the Dungeon reliably. I'm very tempted to buy one of the IAP gem packs, but I get the feeling that shortcutting like that would immensely cheapen the gameplay, so I won't - springing for the red gems would speed things up, but...

That said, pooling all the goons into one guild probably isn't a good idea. #SOMETHINGBONES will rise again (or #DONGSLAYERS, I'm down with that).

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

With regards to Rigonauts, can I ask if you're meant to be able to shoot through your own Bits? I've had some mixed experiences with getting it to work, which makes me wonder if the times it does work are glitches or if the times it fails to are. Or is it a specific ideal of some things shoot through, other things don't?

Obviously the enemies can, of course.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Is Worms 2: Armageddon any good? It just came down to 69p according to Appshopper, was wondering if it was worth playing or if it's just not worth playing? Noticed that it seems to float around £3 normally.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Am I wrong to get the impression that in Sword & Glory, there's a point at which you need to start boosting your level in the "pre-character" screen using Epic Points to be able to access certain parts of the content before your character gets too old? You can only boost them up to Level 5 (for 200 Epic Points) but that would still save a fair amount of time.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

One thing I've noticed with Sword & Glory is that there seems to be some level of adjustment when it comes to how the levels of enemies in quests work.

For example, in the Thickwood quest line, if you get to Level 4 (I believe), the enemy you fight after digging the treasure up is Level 4. However, if you do it after Level 4, it becomes a Level 7 enemy - which makes doing Thickwood before you straddle that line important if you want to build the village up quickly. The most obvious quest for this is "The Eternal Tournament", which is easily repeatable as well.

This doesn't apply to every quest (since some stick with Level 0 enemies whenever you do them), but I was wondering if people had any other quests which have this quality? It makes prioritising certain quest lines easier if I know I should do them before I reach Level X.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

(Sword & Glory)

Defence is fairly useless from what I've seen - I pick up the Freed Slave perk, and it's the only passive defence restorative I have, unless it's in my equipment. You can use equipment/home base to easily get all the buffs in that area you need, as you get 3 health from buildings. I've never seen a particular need to get more health then that, as any fight where I take five points of damage isn't one you'd be saved in by having six.

Fast/careful/power attacks exist in a triangle, with some attacks being better than others - Power helps you close distance, for example, while Fast helps you wound easily. Shield Bashes are the fastest attack, but are too weak to be worth doing unbuffed.

Also: with the new update, there's a new shield that gives +6 damage to Shield Bash, which is amazing. Helped me beat the Darknessborn in Some Awful Thing - the only reward I had was the Mace, but you might unlock something for beating both Darknessborn. According to the design notes, there's new monuments for Worldly people - what are their effects?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

If there's any goons who play Ascension but don't read the board games thread, we're hosting our second tournament for it. I'll be closing the sign-ups later this week, so be sure to sign up soon if you want to play some fairly well designed card games. We're playing with the latest two expansions, so make sure to have those if you're signing up!

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

discoukulele posted:

Can anyone recommend a good TCG? I've been playing Order & Chaos: Duels, but the IAP is annoying. I'm totally fine with buying packs of cards, but having to buy items and potions and whatnot is annoying.

I've tried Shadow Era, and it's cool, but it's really hard to play on my phone.
You might want to try SolForge, which has some interesting mechanics and is entirely F2P, although you obviously do better if you drop some cash to buy boosters, but you get daily rewards anyway. There's no items/limits besides that - it can also link to your Steam account if you want to play on your computer.

e: oh, but it's iPad only. If you're phone-based, scratch this.

zonar fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 30, 2013

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Sieg posted:

Generally poop time is not time that could otherwise be used productively. I think there was some discussion of this in the old thread or the one before that. Or maybe I made it up.

Cheeseburgers.
However, there is stiff competition among iOS games for your poop time; given the in-elasticity of poop time, it's hard to stretch it out to fit with the supply of iOS games, which drives the iOS market price on poop time through the roof. It's hard to get by in this business, son.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

I was digging Card City Nights at first, but playing against the Stoneface guy makes me hope that the packs that he offers have few good cards and that there aren't too many "stalling" enemies, because the only alternative seems to be to turtle out, which is ultra-boring. Disabling enemies only seems worthwhile if you've already got a second attack combo ready to take out the double-health card they'll drop immediately afterwards, if you get a chance to disable it at all.

Even as someone who normally digs games like this a lot and it's different enough to keep me playing, it's annoying that the 'optimal' way to go seems so boring.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

While I wasn't feeling Card City Nights at first, it is definitely worth playing; it can be a little rough to start, depending on what cards you get, but given that I've now finished it, it's definitely worth getting through some of the difficulty rough patch that I was in earlier.

Fun, fairly imaginative, definitely worth the 69p.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

porktree posted:

I hate editing my deck - I wish there was a clear deck button, and I wish the app was more touch sensitive. But it is a pretty fun game.
Agreed (Card City Nights could also do with a "clear deck"); I probably need to sit back down with Calculords, possibly after buying the IAP that gives you extra cards for winning games, to be any more into it than I am now.

Speaking of which, Quarriors is fun, but I am kinda glad I picked it up for free; the base game doesn't seem to have enough content to make playing against the AI too much fun, and the online multiplayer doesn't seem very good either. It's probably more of a multiple-person game, for sure.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Is there any particular reason for why Apple has the system it does? I mean, it probably saves effort for general app makers, but for games, it just seems to not make much sense. At the very least, it'd be easier for Apple to ask devs to state "iDevice X and up".

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

I'm guessing that with the soft launch, Hearthstone for iPad is a week or two away from release anywhere else?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

FlashBangBob posted:

Also, Thwomp Limited went from having 10 bids on the first go around to nearly 80 tonight. Went from $0.01 to $153.30. Stellar guys, making me proud.
I was one of the penny bidders, I underestimated the stiffness of the competition for it.

When you pass the $5,000 mark, how long is it before your company is opened up for bidding? I'm getting close to that margin, but I'm a little unclear as to how it works.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

FlashBangBob, when I trash a ship post-update, will the cost for building the next one decrease? As the cost of building ships rises prety quickly, it'll be nice to know that I don't need to get my hands on ten pieces of Electrium because I built a Lava Miner by accident.

I hope Steelfur keeps going down until it costs less than fuel to purchase.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Stumpus posted:

Which Ascension in app purchases are worth it if you really liked the base game?

Are they all compatible with the base game? Only one specifically says it is.
I believe all of the expansions are theoretically compatible with the original, but the game is very much designed in sets of two - Return of the Fallen 'completes' the original set, Storm of Souls is 'completed' by the third expansion, and so on. Storm of Souls is essentially a standalone base playing set in and of itself, if that's your boat.

For what its worth, I feel that Storm of Souls is the best single expansion if you were only buying one. Return of the Fallen is fun, but Storm of Souls is incredibly well-balanced by itself.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

I'm aware this question gets asked a lot, but I can't recall the answers to it or find any recommendations in the thread: what are the good 4x games in the iOS store, if there are any notable ones? Preferably something similar to Civ, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

AppShopper just gave me an alert for a price drop in FTL -- down to £5. I'm probably going to pick it up, is there any reason why I shouldn't? Are there any bad performance issues on the iPad mini or the 3?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Flaggy posted:

Is SolForge fun? Just saw it in the app store and it looks like just another TCG.
The thread elsewhere on the forums encapsulates my feelings on it -- it's fun, but don't try to get into it. The game has zero balance when higher rarities get involved, so unless you're willing to spend several hundred pounds on boosters, you'll always be second best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

jerkstores posted:

I think new people make the mistake that constructed is the game. I find that drafting is infinitely more fun and I am able to do so for free about 3 times a week. The event ticket rewards are pretty generous - 7 tickets per week for winning one game a day plus your rewards from drafting. I have accumulated 60 tickets pretty easily.
I got sick of the game a while before drafting was introduced, although I don't feel a limit on the actually-fun part of the game is conducive to it being worth people's time. I'm totally into the idea of the game, I just wish it wasn't balanced around so poorly.

• Locked thread