Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Terpfen posted:

Speaking of the OP, if Final Fantasy Tactics can be recommended, then so should Final Fantasy IV.
Well they are different genres of games. And that ff4 is basically the hard version rom hack compared to the snes version. I recommend FTT but not FF4 (the DS/iOS version).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

Welp, people in this thread spamming Happy Street challenge requests made me have to disable all Game Center notifications. It's the equivalent of spamming your Facebook friends with Mafia Wars invites, except there's no way to specifically block it.

On another note, is the FFIV port really as good as the guy who reviewed it on TouchArcade said? I was tempted to buy it but Square Enix prices always make me think twice.

There is a lets play of that version going on if you want to check the voice acting and the higher difficulty. It also an amazing lets play
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3509586

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

heiden posted:

I liked that game but there's not much to manage, it's super shallow & easy once you figure out that building less buildings and boosting them with the appropiate items > building more buildings. You'll have everyone as Kairobots (sp?) rather quickly and then there's nothing left to do.

You don't even need to get that crazy to beat the Dungeon village. I built every building and gave them no items.

Just ignore magic completely and have people max a big dex class like archer then a huge tough class like knight and then another good class like mercenary for males and Kung fu master for females. Pump the cauldron until you got hero armor, hero shield and flame bow. I had multiple people with 1000+ stats in the importance stuff who could 1-hit ko bosses by themselves in year 10.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 4, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

I'd like to enjoy Rad Soldiers more, but every menu in the game seems to ping back to the server and it fails fairly often. That and long load times.

Yeah it is a great game, but all of sudden the shop stopped working for me. The developer has said they don't know what causes it but that the plan is to fix it in the next update. However just the gameplay is amazing.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Fishbus posted:

Hello, sir. What device are you using? I'll forward this on to the guys and see what we can dig up on this front!

I'm using an Ipad 2 and the store stopped working like 3 days ago.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Fishbus posted:

Where are you located? Have you closed+restarted that app? (this used to be an old fix for a bug similar to that)
I'll be in work tomorrow, ask around. I'll bring up the issue that Bummey mentioned as well.

America. Yes multiple times but oddly enough it just started working. Though for the past 3 days I tried about 4 times each day and it didn't work.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I added you. I'm a leve 4 by the name of "shwqa" .

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

randyest posted:

If you need another dude for Life is Magic add me (player name is SA username). I'm in Boston with shitloads to do but I'm still figuring this thing out.

I added you and gave you some free stuff.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

A new update to Life is Magic is out but it seems to have broken the app for me, at least the menus. Sorry to the goon whose party I quit, I did it by accident while trying to get the menus to function.

Haha I just disbanded my team by accident as well.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The Hebug posted:

A likely story since now I can't join your new full party.

Alright you caught me, I just wanted the level 2 out of our team. We are back on for murder!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I'll make a life is magic thread after work, unless someone else wants too. I know people are going to start complaining soon, so we might as well preemptively make one to be nice.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Xenochrist posted:

Is there a life is magic thread yet? Regardless, I'm in as a monk, name Xenochrist

There is now! The life is magic thread is now open.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528827

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 17, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The Insect Court posted:

The idea of a card game/wargame hybrid really appeals to me, but Summoner Wars feels really thin in terms of the mechanics.

On a related topic, what are considered the best iOS card games(besides Magic) that don't require heavy or non-stop iAP? I can deal with paying a fee up front to unlock content, but not the nonstop iAP treadmill to stay remotely competitive.

I played Urban rivals for about 3-4 years. It is a web game but it got a pretty good iOS app. http://www.urban-rivals.com/

Tossing :20bux: on a friday when new cards come out (they do every other week) on new blood packs will get you enough money to build a top tier deck.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Dungeons of Dreadmor was planning on coming out for the iOS, but it seems like that got put on the back burner for their newest game. Which looks awesome but my lovely computer can't play it, so I would prefer more DoD :(

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Is there a cap to spirit in pixel people? There has too be or else you could get a 100% discount on time and expansion.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I got some beastie bay tips.

Always have your team exploring, when you can afford the food cost. Getting an island fully explore (green bar not locations) gives you a kick rear end free item. You also get free building/nature/research/coins.

Get a hotalot demon from the lava island ASAP. They are amazing. A level 26 3* with a frost fang equipped beat the uber boss on the starter island solo.

The starting island has lovely monsters so you can generally take on higeher level dungeons and level up really quick. Having stone monster helps.

Since your team will be gone often try to keep them out of the way of visitor traffic/ useful buildings.

Get every monster not on your team the rag item. It is super cheap and increasing their harvesting speed.

The only equipment worth using is +attack , + defensive, + elemental resist, and changing attack type.

Always have research at least 2% per hour or else you might fail.

Don't use coins on anything but raising the level limit and maybe leveling up survival tools.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 10, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Well I'm not a game developer, but I do have a software company. Our business model is to give our software away for free but you can pay for us to alter the code in a way that helps to your business ( this gets added to base software making it better). Only about .5% of our customers pay for anything but we get 1000s of times more people using the software compared to when we charged for it. That means we make more money overall.

I imagine that is what iOS game developers are doing. Of course we all know how it went with punch quest when you give too much away for free and don't use ads or forceful with IAP, they barely made any money (I hope it does better now). Now I'm not happy with the IAP games right now because most of them are just timer games, but with games like RAD solider I will pay for expansion or different (not stronger) play styles.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Also I'm still waiting for a harvest moon/ rune factory and uncharted waters game for the iOS. I would pay in the 5-10 dollar range for those HINT HINT.

Edit: we already talked about jet set radio, the controls seem to be terrible.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

You know what? I love the IAP system. Do you know how many hours of enjoyment I have had for free and legally? Days of enjoyment last year. RAD soldiers, pixel people, beastie bay, tiny tower, punch quest, karate girl, dragon island, happy hills, and more that I have forgotten. Where else do you find that? Sure most of the games IAP games are terrible, but they are terrible games due to design issues, not the payment system. RRC3 took a standard pay once game, added some timers and IAP to bypass said timers and was done with it. I think that is a bad design choice. Each type of payment style has different flows and the gameplay need to reflect that. I don't like the trend of pay to win games, but I am all for pay for different styles of gameplay or longer gameplay. I used RAD soldiers as an example and I will do so again. I can pay for more soldiers but they are all pretty unique but balanced. Some veterans of the game who had unlock everyone were using the team you can get for free. There about 5 free maps and 3 maps you can buy. Each map has a different play styles so I bought the 3 premium ones because I liked them (people who bought them can play them with people who haven't ).

So I think IAP can be done right and the current trends have gotten me more enjoyment for free then I should morally expect too. Seriously I feeling bad getting so much for free is my main reason for buying IAP.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The Rokstar posted:

I just hit 6 years in my first Beastie Bay game so now I've converted everything to 5-star nature and I'm letting the game play itself while my Beastiemons farm medals. :cool:

For some reason I never got the hotspot from the volcanic island though, is there something I'm missing or is it just really rare?

Rocks+ solar panels= all trees near them can become legendary trees.

Edit: oops I misread that. Sometimes you got to redo areas until you get the red chest for it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

This poo poo confuses me so much. I had a grassy plain upgrade in to hills yesterday and since I don't have the option to move stuff around yet I haven't started loving with the layouts. There's not much point to do this before year 6 right?

e: What affects the amount of XP monsters get from mentors, and would anyone have a magic word for a really good mentor (or several) they'd have to share?

Here is a level 99 with 45 int I found on the Internet CEDMAVa8wfvMAWTKCqBZYtJ1ag== .

It can get you some high * stuff earlier and cheaper is about the only advantage. I used hammock+ grassland for coconut trees a lot around year 3-4

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Any goons out there playing Defender of Texel (D.O.T.)? It a pretty fun little timer rpg. I like it, because you actually have to use strategy during combat and it pleases my hording needs. I just started and some goon friends would be nice.

My invite code is Ltr1

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Clocks posted:

I have been for about three weeks or so. I can attest that it's pretty awesome. It's sort of like all those RoB card games except it has pixel fighters instead and is way better. And you can compete pretty well while playing as a free player.

(I see what you did there, goon-who-wants-referrals.)

You got any tips? a topic on gamefaqs and lovely incomplete wiki is literally all info I can find on the game.

Also you wouldn't see my referral code if I used more sub script!

Cheating the referral system wouldn't be hard because all they check is emails, but it would be really time consuming

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SpclKen posted:

Invite code isn't working!

Oops the code is Lrt1 , my dyslexia kicked in there.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Clocks posted:

Well, there's a different method of collecting/using fighters (your 9-fighter band). During events there are edge fighters that you can use so your team is constantly switching, so that's fresh.

The game currently has no trading, so what you get is all through your own effort. You can evolve fighters up the rarity scale, so you can get rares and even epics just by fusing lower stuff together. The game doesn't have an RoB-style of evolution/enhancing which I think is a positive -- ie you won't see some 8x1 OPE whatever bs where you need to max every card and then combine it to get max stats on your end evolution.

The game has a lot of events. What's more though, it gives out lots of prizes. So playing for a bit can get you good fighters and you can work your way up. This game is, at least for the moment, very free-friendly. I've spent maybe $5 so far and gotten far more of that than I have in other similar games (two rare fighters for $1 each, and a few pavilions which increase how many fighters you can keep). But people can spend no money at all and get cool stuff eventually.

Oh, and I guess its art style. This isn't cards, it's fighters. Cute pixel fighters! As a girl I've grown tired of opening these games up and getting scantily clad ladies thrown in my face.

I mean, I've tried a shitton of these games out. D.o.T is the first one that's grabbed me in a long time. It's unique enough in terms of mechanics and nice with what it gives away. I'd recommend trying it out.

I do want to thank whoever it was who first mentioned DoT in this thread. It was one single little post that no one ever responded to but it's what got me into the game. I'm on my phone though so I can't look it up!

Yeah I'm really digging the game. Getting rare and epics doesn't seem impossible for free players. I have only been playing for 3 days and I got 4 rares. With the daily bonuses I will for sure have a full rare deck in about a week. There seems to be an events every week. And they give out prizes like candy, I already have a uncommon with the strength of a rare on the first day of this week event.

As I stated earlier I like that this game has some strategy to it. Most of the online rpg for the iOS are just click battle and maybe hit the attack button. This game you quick hitters, heavy hitters, magic user (amazing damage but unrealible), and tanks. Though most the time I start with 2 quick hitters and a tank, then heavy hitters.

As a guy I am also pretty sick of giant anime tits in video games.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

For defender of texel try saving your summon stone thingies until you can do 10 at a time. I have gotten an uncommon each time I have used 10 pixite. Especially since you can a mountain of it durning this event.

Edit: though on the wiki someone said they used 200 voxite at once and they only got 3 rares

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 21, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Fazana posted:

I wandered through half of the TA thread on it earlier and they seemed to think it had the droprate adjusted during the first event :iiam:

Is your ingame name Shwqa2? That was the only shwqa I saw listed.

Oh I used my Facebook so it's stephenrichmo .

Edit: I test 10 pixite again and got another uncommon, so this seems to be the way to go.

Also it seems that you don't lose exp if you fuse monsters and then used the stronger monster for fusion fodder. The wiki claims that it is the same exp regardless of what you do. That means you can self fusion everything to save room

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 21, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Fazana posted:

Last Texel question for now, honest!

I've seen the term "Edge Fighter" banded about, does that mean the three on the right hand side?

The pvp event sure gives out a nice unit pretty quickly, I'm just one more rat away from evolving him to the next stage, even in the common form he's one of my best pure power units.

As far as I know during certain event unit get an edge. Last event if you used the same element as the dungeon you got double stats and the reward units got a double stat bonus which stacked. During this PVP event you can spend an extra 2 point to get double stats to everyone, which is quite nice for saving your streaks. At 20 wins in a row you get the uncommon version of the unit.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SpclKen posted:

DOT is great. Thanks for the recommendation shaqwa Easy, fun and collectable. Can play free and still can build good guys. Bsouers is IGN if y'all want to friend me.

Your welcome. I'm glad you are enjoying yourself :3:

Speaking of getting good cards I just got a awesome rare off of a pixite. It broke 1k attack at level 7 and it has huge speed, health, and it has an epic form that I could one day get too.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Corridor posted:

What the gently caress is this :stare:

And also...

Oh god

The stuff of nightmares...

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Oh man i just had quite a stroke of luck in defender of texel. I made a rare knight from commons and boss drops for an achievement, which give 3 voxite. I used the voxite and got 2 more rares. :dance:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I'll make a thread later tonight when I am my computer if no one else wants to make the thread.

Also I normally feed commons to my team. The problem with units that have a commons form is that they can never become epics. Cards either go common->uncommon-> rare or uncommon->rare-> epic. Another problem is that the unit without common forms are more powerful. That common knight I made into a rare only has 400 attack at level 13, I have uncommons that have better stats. So if your really hurting for cards the commons work in a pinch, but long term they won't be useful.

Though save some for achievements for more voxite. The commons that have achievements I have seen are :amberflew arwia, etty, goldengrasp, and ashtad. It seems to remember that I had fused goldengrasp before I gotten the achievement so I got the reward instantly.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 21, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The defender of texel thread is now open! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3535018

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Shachi posted:

I hate to bring this up again as I'm sure it's been talked about a few times but I got a nice iTunes gift card and was interested in picking up one of the card games.

I really can't decide between getting Ascension or Summoner Wars. I saw that summoner wars has a pretty good thread going. I've heard they're very different games (strategy vs deck building) but if I were to get just one what would y'all suggest. I've played Shadow Era and liked it ok. I've also played MtG before but that was years and years ago and I was never into very big.

I thought that ascension was a much better game than summoner wars.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Man king cashing 2 really confused the gently caress out me. Due to a bug I never received the fighter zombie. So I spend like 3 hours gold medal all of chapter 1 before I found out I just got screwed and had to make a new game. At first I just thought the comic was poorly made with the balance of the game :v:

Edit: Well gently caress, in my 2nd game I didn't receive the gunner. :(

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 6, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

goferchan posted:

This rules, tons of style and seems like a perfect (and big!) grind game -- but wow, looking at how the blacksmith works, that seems like bullshit. Everything else is so reasonable but spending gold with a % chance of losing it all and having to wait 8 hours even if you succeed sucks

As you level up the blacksmith the odds go up and the time goes down. But don't worry about that, everything that isn't the three rings is a waste of time.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

While we are on the talk of RPGs, I picked the penny arcade game about 2 weeks ago. I'm not the biggest fan of the web comic, but the game is really fun. It was made the same team that did the call of chulutu rpg. It has got a fun class system and battle system. Though the game is more fun when you realize every single battle is supposed to be a puzzle for you to figure out how to win. And I recommend playing on hard because normal mode is really easy (you can change difficulty at any time). I got about 10 hours of enjoyment of it which isn't bad for 3 bucks.

http://appshopper.com/games/penny-arcades-on-the-rain-slick-precipice-of-darkness-3

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

AggroJagg posted:

Is there a knights of pen and paper thread? Or maybe some tips on starting out?

Start out with a Mage, paladin, rogue, and cleric. Do the hunter quest in the first town (just buy the items he wants). Unlock the hunter class and get it. For paladin and Mage unlock their abilities and then just pump their passive. For hunter and thief unlock their attacks and then pump damage passive to level 10. For cleric pump weakening and get some single healing. That teams is good enough to beat the main game, but it is not the greatest for super bosses. Always time to fight as many monsters at once as you can, especially during missions. Weakening reduces damage from monsters to basically zero.

For real world items get: objects, + hp items, + item find, and whatever dungeon master you want (I went with the doctor). After you got all the real world items, raise the level of the item shop and buy three rings.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Shalinor posted:

All it means is that if Jones succeeds at the new price point, Kitties In Hats would be a free content update, instead of being a "INSERT MONEY HERE for kitty hats" freemium thing.

I understand sticking your morals (I run a little sustainable marmalade company that won't use sugar, HFC, or cheap chemicals), but I don't think IAP has to be evil. But I don't think asking your fans to support you isn't a bad thing. And I don't think giving their kitties a hat in return as a thanks isn't a bad thing either. Sometimes you just have to say "Hey I need some financial support, if you like my work would you mind giving me some money?" Anyways I suck at words so here is a ted talk on the subject

http://www.ted.com/talks/amanda_palmer_the_art_of_asking.html

Edit: Either way, Your game looks great. I'll wait till it cost some money before I try it.

Edit2: Whoops lets retry this but in English this time.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Shalinor posted:

Wait, the Dreadmore port was a hoax? ... god dammit :( It's been on my PC for a year, but I keep holding off, because it seems ideal for tablet.

They were planning of making it for the ipad, but I think they have that on hold for their new game. It is a shame because DoD would fit so well with the ipad.

• Locked thread