Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I have no idea how you guys get to so high a level in Sword and Glory; I can hardly ever get past level four or five. I always end up fighting some burly dude with seven hearts or so who proceeds to smash my face in. Maybe I'm just bad at combat, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Gandhi is in it and just as furious as ever. His special allows him to harvest all resources without needing the necessary tech, which makes him a pretty tough foe if he chooses the right spots to settle.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Fazana posted:

I know quite a few of us jumped on the Blockheads bandwagon at launch, well they have just kicked out version 1.4 and it looks like tons of stuff has been added since. Main things this time are trains and electricity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMx1FcxVhO4

Thanks for this, I forgot the name of this game and didn't have the time to try it back when it was first mentioned. This looks like a good jumping-on time.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
If you can get lucky the last trial is pretty easy. Just keep taking out witnesses/evidence until you get a set that only does 1-2 damage each turn, which gives you enough points to nullify their attacks and one free shot at the prosecutor every turn.

By the way, what did you guys upgrade? I maxed out decadence the first round and got about two-thirds for the other two. Maybe I'll try full materialism next.

Also on other iOS news Survivalcraft got a new update, which consists mostly of revamping the electric system. Pretty fun to play around with.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I've had some fun with The World ends with You recently, but it is pretty pricey and probably won't ever drop. The Phoenix Wright trilogy is pretty long too, and the first part is free if you want to try it out. There's the perennial favorite King of Dragon Pass, that one lasts for a while.

Also because you said 'console-ish' I looked it up on a whim and it seems like there's an iOS port of Uplink! Has anyone tried it yet? I've seen an LP of the PC version before and it looked fun, but you can never be certain about the quality of a port.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

The iOS port of Uplink is fantastic. It's every bit the same game as on PC, but some things just seem a little better with a touch interface as you didn't have to click to select and then click again to deselect things like you sometimes had to do on PC.

It's a really solid port in every way and well worth the money. Go buy it, and if enough of us do then maybe one day they'll port the nuclear war game they made too.

Thanks, I'll think about grabbing it then. Costs a bit, but looks worth every penny.

Also Devil's attorney seems kind of inconsistent on that regard. Some cases seem to require getting an absolutely perfect round, some seem to be solvable even with the absolute minimum of damage. Although there's probably a way to solve the former too, but I ended up just savescumming for a good first turn because I couldn't figure out the optimal pattern.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 11, 2013

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Worms, of course. I'm not sure how faithful the ports are, though. Looking it up and it seems there are several versions ported. Generally Worms Armageddon remains a perennial favorite, although I'm not sure how well it plays with touch controls.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It's a slightly prettier Civ 1, I had some fun with it but if you're used to the later Civilization games you may find it a bit too simple. Plus from what I heard the latest updates introduce IAP buildings/units that AI civs can use off the bat, but you have to pay for to use.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Has anyone tried Isle of Bxnes? There was some talk about it in the Android thread, and it sounds intriguing. It's out on iOS now.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
My own particular issue with the Ace Attorney port is the crappy sprites and font, it feels like a cheap flash game and I can't really get into it, especially since I've completed the first one on an actual DS. It just feels like a massive downgrade. Ghost Trick is a really good port, though. The story is stellar and the puzzles are generally pretty good, but there's not much in the way of replayability.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I haven't tried Minecraft Pocket but it holds up very well by itself, and it is in fact updated regularly. The last big update was actually a few days ago, adding in bows and arrows and some other rare animals.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

TraderStav posted:

What's the best game that's like Mario Kart on the iPad?

Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing is pretty cheap and a decent kart game. Not as fleshed out as it is on other systems, but it's a decent kart game, for what I tried of it.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Shwqa posted:

Hey guess what game just dropped in price. Avernum escape from the pit https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/avernum-escape-from-the-pit-hd/id499730787?mt=8

Aw, come on. Bought it at full price a day ago. That said, everyone get this game, I've had a lot of fun with it so far.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 27, 2013

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Has anyone tried Hearthstone on an iPad 2 yet? It hasn't released over here. Hopefully it's not too resource-intensive.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

FlashBangBob posted:

My game, Electrium, went live in the app store this morning.

It's not the next Candy Crush, Boom Beach, or even Tiny Tower. Its tough to do so as a one man shop.

No ads, no popups. It does have one in app purchase, but I decided when I made the game to make the in app purchase the opposite of what was pissing off people most about in app purchases (the only way to get ahead is to pay for it). If I make 0 dollars on this game, I'm totally cool with that.

iPhone only for now, but its free so give it a whirl. Its a good game to enjoy while having a poop.

Sounds interesting, but it's not showing up on my App Store. Is it region-locked?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

FlashBangBob posted:

Yeah its US and Canada (mainly because I didn't translate it into other languages). I could probably unlock it to your region, which one is it?

Singapore. Thanks, I like space trading games, so I'd love to give this a try.

VV Thanks. No problem, I'll wait.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 7, 2014

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
So I tried Hearthstone for a while, and it was pretty okay. Tried Card City Nights, and that was pretty fun too. What other iOS card games would you guys recommend? Preferably something with a good single-player AI/campaign, most of the people I know aren't much for virtual card games.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Just beat Card City Nights. That was fun, is there anything else like it on the App Store? Also I don't really think all-out offense is the way to go, by about the mid-game I found a defensive deck that worked and it carried me through the rest of the game.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
There's also a special area that seems to appear every once in a while with a time limit. Freeing all the POWs in that state gets you a unit, although I don't know what clearing it does because the last two stages are crazy-hard. Even with maxed-out units, AP regeneration and unit spawn rate, I still can't spawn anything that survives the first wave. I guess I'll have to wait and see if I unlock anything better down the line.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I've been playing Dream Quest for a while now, unlocked almost all the classes. My main annoyance is that classes who rely on physical damage get screwed over far more often than magic-based classes. On the second floor physically-resistant and immune enemies are fairly common, whereas element-resistant or immune enemies are fairly rare. I do like the achievement-based unlock system, though.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Coin posted:

Yeah, it's a problem. I really wanted to run an all-action thief, but if you're not a spell aster you need to acquire some elemental attack red cards or be hosed.

I don't think I've run into any enemies that are immune to all non-physical damage yet. Is that a thing?

I don't think so, the closest you get is enemies that either resist a single element or take half damage from elemental attacks. However, since you get such a large variety of high damage spell cards it's a lot easier to overcome that than it is to take down the physically immune ones.

It is still pretty fun, though. Just unlocked the professor and dragon and I've been having an absolute blast with those two. They play very differently from the other classes.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
By the way, for anyone who's playing it, the upcoming update to Dream Quest raises the unlock cost of the professor, bard and dragon to 10000 points and makes them unable to earn achievements. So if that's a concern of yours, hold off on the next update for a bit.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The most efficient professor strategy in Dream Quest is to get a card that forces your opponent to discard his action cards/hand, use it on a zombie on the first turn, then stall him out until he reshuffles his discard pile back into his deck. You can then loot Zombie Bite, a one-action card that kills any enemy in the game after five turns.

E: also Dance Puppets is being changed from a card to an innate ability of the Hands of Glory that triggers every other turn, which is good for the other classes but not so much for the Professor.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Oh welp that was the only reason to try out a zombie bite deck :geno:

By the way what type of Lord of Dreams has everyone encountered? I only won twice so I saw two different versions:

1. You get a 15 seconds timer like that cat ambusher monster, AND at the start of each turn you get a genie Three Wishes type choice except you get four choices and they are all full of horrible, horrible poo poo. My theory for this guy is you pick the Ward 30 option whenever it comes up and rely on piercing damage.

2. This one is real hosed up. Each turn he issues an new edict and if you disobey it you lose 5 maximum health. The edicts stack and it is just awful. Sample edicts I saw: You can not play a certain type of card (spell, mana, etc), You have to play atleast 1 card of a certain type by the end of your turn, You can not play a card with a certain letter in it :eyepop:, and you must play a ~specific card~ by the end of your turn (...like Troll Hide, Strike lvl3 (he specifies the drat upgrade level!!_) :eyepop::eyepop::eyepop: This guy is basically how much damage can you burst out on the first turn before you are forever crippled.

I've run into two other variations I remember. One of them forces you to give him a 'gift' every turn, taking a card from your hand and putting it in his, and for every turn that passes, the amount of cards you have to give him increases. The second will degrade your cards every time you play them - Accelerate becomes Swiftness becomes Sift etc. so you eventually end up with a deck full of 1 damage attack/action/spell cards.

Also if you are a dirty cheater you can savescum simply by force-quitting the game, even if you've already died in a fight. Restarting the game starts you back in the dungeon map before the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Supposedly there were some changes to make the early game easier, and some monsters were changed to be more predictable. But yes, I'd hold off on updating until you've unlocked all the classes and achievements you want.

• Locked thread