Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

suboptimal posted:

Wanted to thank whoever recommend Hunters 2 in the last thread. The game looks absolutely gorgeous on the iPad 4 and is a great turn-based tactical game.

Glad you liked it :)

The devs are working on a Warhammer game in the same vein as their next project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

How is that new Ravensword game? I ask because I recently tried booting up Aralon, which I was gifted when it first came out, and it's unplayable garbage. When it came out it was a novelty for being a full 3D adventure game on a platform that didn't really have such things, but when you judge it on its own merits it's a bag of arse.

So does Ravensword stand up as a good game, or is it just a shinier yet still lovely Elder Scrolls wannabe?

Wait for bug fixes, and possibly a price drop. The combat is more fun than Aralon, and the graphics are nice with a good draw distance. It still definitely feels like a poor man's elder scrolls.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Dvlos posted:

I'm going to ask this again:

I finally beat Escape from Rosecliff Island with the wife unit, loved it, I was looking for more hidden object games in this vein, (not story driven rpg or anything more Escape from.. style)?

Check out games made by Big Fish Games inc. They have an immense library of games just like that.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

BrainDance posted:

For anyone whose played Swordigo all the way through, how heavy and important is the plot? Basically, how important is it to understand what you're reading?

I sent a kid home with it because I remembered it as a cool platformer, just redownloaded it and remembered the rpg stuff in it. He has my phone number and if it's too hard hes gonna start texting me and I don't really want that.

And thanks for the easy English games suggestions guys. I've got a reputation now as "gamer teacher" and I don't want to lose it.

So far the kids like Punch Quest and Ski Safari the most. Punch Quest gets them a little too excited though.

Where exactly do you work? Just curious

And Swordigo's story was really simple, the challenge was in the gameplay. I think the story was about collecting sword pieces to beat the ultimate bad guy, or something along those lines.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

FastestGunAlive posted:

I started playing Dungeon Raid a month ago (late, I know) and I'm starting to get burned out on it. What other rpg-lite games are there in this vein? I had Puzzle Quest a while back but it looks like its not on the app store anymore.

Get 10000000. It's outstanding. And check out Dungeon Story, it's very similar to Dungeon Raid, but has persistent stats and upgrades. Wargames WOPR also plays similarly, but has a clear ending.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

ZerodotJander posted:

What are some good Asynchronous Multiplayer iPhone games for under $5?

My buddy is tired of Letterpress and I am tired of Words with Friends. Carcassonne would be great but it's relatively pricy, same for HOMM Clash of Heroes. A lot of games with Async Multiplayer I don't like because the turns don't feel meaningful enough, like Ticket to Ride or Ascension.

Have you tried Outwitters? It's pretty good.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Raged posted:

Worked for me in Australia.

Is Brian Cox's Wonders of the Universe worth $7. I'm sorely tempted to grab it since someone posted codes.

I'd say its definitely worth it. It's one of the first apps I bought for my ipad, and it's full of great information with beautiful graphics and hours of video. However, the videos require an active Internet connection. I could not find a way to preload them, which I found kind of annoying.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Fallom posted:

The only thing keeping me from playing The Quest is that I no longer use an iPhone and I don't think it's likely they'll ever port it to the iPad.

Unless - does it not look terrible stretched out to fit the iPad screen?

Same here. I only play on my iPad, and use my 3gs only for phone stuff.

Bummey posted:

Is that the Infinity Blade clone? If so, it's very mediocre.

That would be Arkham City Lockdown. I haven't played the TDKR game, but I heard it's decent and has good graphics.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Digger-254 posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended Block Fortress, it's really awesome! It's like a Minecraft-ish TD defense that you also get to run around and shoot dudes like a FPS. You can also upgrade and customize your (many) structures and FPS weapons in a ton of different ways. It's incredibly open-ended and a blast to play.

...until they start throwing groups of those guys at you that none of your turrets can detect or shoot, that prioritize high value structures, and also do metric poo poo-tons of damage. There seems to be literally no counter-measure besides constantly walking around hunting for them yourself (and often missing them until its too late and half your base is gone anyway). Meanwhile, a really awesome battle is still going on while you're out wandering around the map like a jackass.

Game was great til I got stuck on endless guard duty instead of planning and fighting the battles. That's not a challenge, it's just pulling you away from what makes it great in the first place. Its like you go from playing a fun game to working a lovely job. Ugh.

The dev does a great job of listening to feedback and constantly updating their games. So I expect them to fix the difficulty and make it more balanced. They already promised an update to add a new mode with no fps element, just base building and top down view for those who dislike fps controls on iOS.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012
I thought Jones on Fire was very cute, but there's something wrong with the camera that makes it hard to play the game for more than a couple minutes. It's hard to describe, the framerate isn't low (ipad 4), but there's some jerkiness to how the camera pans and follows the character. It makes it very hard to focus.

Sorry for the vague feedback, but I really don't know how to describe it better.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

eeenmachine posted:

Left and right buttons are actually pretty un-intuitive. If you're running down and want to turn to the left side of the screen you have to press right, but if you're facing up you press left to go left. With swipe controls all you need to think about is swiping in the direction you want to go.

Think of it like Super Hexagon. It works pretty well there.

Edit: have you played Achtung? (amazing 4-player same-device game). It's based loosely on snake, and features left/right arrows for each player. So if your snake is upside down, left arrow will turn you right, but it still doesn't feel wrong for me

Pray For Death fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 31, 2013

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

j4on posted:

Would anyone like to recommend a good, not puzzle or word-based, game without IAP or grind mechanics? I can feel my patience for grinding growing shorter and shorter. Ridiculous fishing was fun, amd appreciated the lack of IAP, but its still just grind to win. It's fine if the game ends in an hour of play. That's pretty cool, really.

My reply is a bit late, but here are some suggestions:

Aquaria
Hunters 2
Polara
King of Dragon Pass
Cook Serve Delicious
Momonga Pinball
Waking Mars
Beat Hazard
Battle of the Bulge
Wonderputt

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

That seems like such a simple way to make virtual pads at least passably better that I'm surprised every game with one doesn't implement that feature. Well, that or standardize the virtual button layout in all games so that there could be a stick-on screen protector with little Braille-style dots for up down left & right.

You could always get one of these: http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/joystickit_and_fling_ipad_thumbsticks_review

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Sad lions posted:

On another train of thought:
Anyone know any good puzzles/adventure games on iOS like The Room or any decent recent point and click style adventure games (like Broken Sword for instance)? I've given realMyst a go but don't entirely 'get it'. Don't know if Sword and Sworcery EP technically counts in the genre but that was a blast too.
Stupidly excited about the upcoming Broken Sword (5?).

Help Volty is kind of similar to the Room in that it is very atmospheric, and very seamless (not even a main menu.) However it involves some time-based actions (and fail-states) so you can't just lie back and take your time to solve the puzzle.

Windosill is a short puzzle game, but nonetheless an awesome experience. Its very weird, and fun to play with friends to see their reactions.

Have you played Ghost Trick and Machinarium? These are a must for adventure fans.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012
As far as I know, the only bonus content in the iOS version of Ghost Trick is the puzzle mini-game that you get after completing the story. It's nothing special.

As for Windosill, it's short. Like really short. But I found it worth the price tag personally. I keep it always on my ipad, and enjoy showing it to friends.

Pray For Death fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 1, 2013

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

jakewastaken posted:

Is there a wiimote version of this? Not as cool, but still could be nice.

Blutrol supports it. A little expensive though.

quote:

Supported Game Controllers

-Bluetooth Keyboard
-DuoGamer
-iCade
-iControlPad
-iMpulse
-PhoneJoy
-PS3 Sixpair/Dualshock 3
-Wii Remote (aka Wiimote)
-Zeemote JS1

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

It's important to note that 3's perform worse than 2's despite having a faster CPU because of the retina.

Buy a mini, they're fantastic.

The 3 is no longer being sold (unless refurbished.) And the iPad 4 performs better than the mini, even in retina.

Basically, if you want eye-candy, get the large iPad. If you want something light/sleek, get the mini. If you aren't sure, go to the nearest store and check both of them out. I personally can no longer stand non-retina text.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Fazana posted:

Nothing decent at all last night? There's usually at least one game someone says "Give this a try" etc.

Badland is fantastic. Looks very beautiful, and controls well. It also has a same-device multiplayer mode with up to 4 players.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

LittleCat posted:

The thing I really love about this is how little there is to it. There's no score, no coins to collect, no reward for getting through with a dozen fuzzy dudes instead of just one. The only thing to it is the level design, and that means the level design has to be stellar to carry it. So far it is.

I noticed a counter in the main menu showing how many 'clones' you've saved, but I'm not sure how it works exactly yet.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012
IGN is promoting Horn as their free game of the month. Free codes for 40 countries.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Shalinor posted:

... it still throws me that there's a new (big budget / good looking) game coming out called "Oceanhorn" that apparently bears no relation at all to "Horn." I don't know why that bugs me so much, but, it does.

I'm looking forward to Oceanhorn, but I was disheartened when toucharcade recently said it won't be coming out until late 2013 :(

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Pladdicus posted:

Aw man! You made me want to start one though, I wonder if...

Er, but no, sadly. I've just vested personal bets against it and will have to face a reality, if it's good, that I can be wrong on the prospective quality of a game based on following drama and news around it. :argh:

Also, I am seriously enjoying Lunar SSST, really scratching my RPG itch. Are there any other decent RPGs for the iOS Phone market that aren't square enix? I'd even included stuff like Shining Force (already beat). I've also already played through Zeboyd Games stuff too though.

And Loststar/TacWarrior.

I really like RPG games okay!?

Have you played Cthulhu Saves the World? Knights of Pen & Paper? Baldur's Gate?

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Sad lions posted:

Anyone have any good word games (wordplay, anagrams, scrabble-style word construction from random letters) for ipad?
The more challenging, the better (that said, I hate time limits but that's a whole other animal).

QatQi, 7 Words, Wooords

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Haggins posted:

I haven't really done much iOS gaming but me and the girlfriend had a lot of fun playing spaceteam on our iPads last night.

Its fun but I can see the novelty wearing off pretty quick. Are there any other good co-op games for the iPad/phone? I guess even a good 2 player competitive game would be cool too.

Try Slice HD. It's brilliant, though you may need more than 4 hands for the final levels, lol.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

JERFit posted:

I still haven't been able to try their massive mode or whatever it's called. 8 player space team :aaa:

I also really like playing with only logographics, that makes for some pretty funny shouting matches.

How does the IAP work in spaceteam? Does everyone have to buy it?

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Anyone had a problem recently with IAP purchases not working? I just get a generic error message every time I try saying the transaction could not be completed. I know it's not the card because I was able to purchase some apps just fine in iTunes 24 hours ago.

Try logging out of your App Store account and then logging back in

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

pinchet posted:

I know this is the iOS thread, but while we're on the topic: http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/kq2/about/about.html

They remade 1, 2 & 3, as well as Quest for Glory 2. http://www.himalayastudios.com/games.php

wow thanks for this link! Nostalgia overload

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Bummey posted:

Apple is wildly inconsistent with what they will and won't allow on the store. AppShopper's reason for being pulled was that it promoted other apps. That's it. Of course, the zillions of apps with tapjoy support, not to mention Touch Arcade's AppShopper for Games, remain unmolested. Who knows?

I believe Apple's reason was that it looks too similar to the App Store and can confuse customers. Which is a load of BS of course.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Apocron posted:

I just got an iPad mini and was wondering if someone could fill me in on all the iPad only games I've been missing out on all this time?

Incoboto
Aquaria
Waking Mars
Brogue
Avadon and/or Avernum
Windosill
Liquidsketch
Wonderputt
Fetch
Machinarium

And theres a slew of same-device multiplayer games that are great for parties. Let me know if you're interested in their names.

Edit: sad I missed the crab avatars :(

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Corridor posted:

Seriously, can anyone at all get onto Hope: The Other Side Of Adventure? It wasn't available in my country for weird reasons, but now it's apparently not even in the US store anymore.

It was just some cool free little experimental thing that I was kinda interested in. :(

I got to the last day (day 6) and was greeted with a black screen. Looking forward to the update.

Apocron posted:

Thanks! Sure I'd love more recommendations!

2-player same-device:
  • Orbital HD: great fun once you learn how it works, very competitive
  • Pinwar: pinball madness, and you can create your own levels
  • Stratosphere: tower defense and offense, try to outlast your opponent
  • Znipball: controlled kind of like that crab game, but with only 1 hand
  • Soccer Rally
  • Fingle: fun little game, just don't play it with your mother
  • Dizzypad HD: the 2 player IAP is well worth it. Had lots of fun with it
  • Mirror's Edge: race mode is really fun, only problem is you gotta unlock the levels first through singleplayer
  • Greedy Bankers vs The World
  • Tiny Wings HD: has a nice multiplayer racing mode

4+ player same-device:
  • Achtung: my favorite game in the list, very easy to pick up, and great for parties
  • King of Opera: hilarious game
  • Slice HD: you can think of this as a coop game. You will need as many hands as you can get to beat the latter levels
  • Slingshot Racing
  • Multiponk: another easy to pick-up game
  • Bloop
  • Ring Fling
  • O
  • Finger Tied
  • Funny slap: we've had so much fun with this one, kind of hard to explain, but it's free!
  • OLO
  • Recurse: play this if you're up for doing silly kinect-like gestures

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012
Crabitron just dropped in price to $2.99 hmmm....

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Weissritter posted:

Speaking of games similar to Battleheart - are there any others?

Sefirah is alright.

NESguerilla posted:

I honestly don't think it's worth their time. I think the best we can ever hope for is ports and the occasional creative indie game.

Yeah, ports can be great, because the production values carry over. See for example Bastion, or the upcoming port of Frozen Synapse.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Stormfang1502 posted:

This is good news and I would easily pay $10-$20 for a good full featured game. It always puzzled me though why no one ever thought to make a G.I. Joe X-Com style game. It seems like the perfect genre to fit in all the different vehicles, troop specializations, and base building.

He'll I would even pay $30-40 for a game of this ilk on my ipad. Can't wait for it to come out.

oblomov posted:

So what are some good RPGs for the iPad save the obvious Square stuff (Ghost Trick and TWEWY are must have), Baldur's Gate (it plays a lot better on PC), Bastion, Bard's Tale and Avadon? I plaid Xenovia and Inotia lines and found them pretty meh. Thinking of something comparable to stuff Square puts out (FF3 port was ok, haven't played FFV or FFD yet).

Also, can someone recommend a good 4x game other then Civ Revolutions?

Edit: Preferably games without IAP (or like Square just purchasing episodes).

Cthulhu Saves the World, Avadon, Knights of Pen & Paper.

Edit: oh you mentioned Avadon, scratch that.

Pray For Death fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 29, 2013

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Power Dips posted:

What happens when all the bananas run out? Does that mean you can't start a game without any bananas?

It slowly regens bananas, I think 1/hour, to a max of 12.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Power Dips posted:

I have a wifi free week when I go on a group holiday next week so I'm on the lookout for games to put on my ipad for a group setting if anyone has any recommendations? So far I have all the usual stuff like monopoly, charades, trivial pursuit but I'm wondering if there's anything really good I'm missing.

Check out this post:

Pray For Death posted:

2-player same-device:
  • Orbital HD: great fun once you learn how it works, very competitive
  • Pinwar: pinball madness, and you can create your own levels
  • Stratosphere: tower defense and offense, try to outlast your opponent
  • Znipball: controlled kind of like that crab game, but with only 1 hand
  • Soccer Rally
  • Fingle: fun little game, just don't play it with your mother
  • Dizzypad HD: the 2 player IAP is well worth it. Had lots of fun with it
  • Mirror's Edge: race mode is really fun, only problem is you gotta unlock the levels first through singleplayer
  • Greedy Bankers vs The World
  • Tiny Wings HD: has a nice multiplayer racing mode

4+ player same-device:
  • Achtung: my favorite game in the list, very easy to pick up, and great for parties
  • King of Opera: hilarious game
  • Slice HD: you can think of this as a coop game. You will need as many hands as you can get to beat the latter levels
  • Slingshot Racing
  • Multiponk: another easy to pick-up game
  • Bloop
  • Ring Fling
  • O
  • Finger Tied
  • Funny slap: we've had so much fun with this one, kind of hard to explain, but it's free!
  • OLO
  • Recurse: play this if you're up for doing silly kinect-like gestures

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

I just tried Triple Town. I don't get it.

Try Pixel Defenders. Based on the same formula, but is actually fun.

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Allan Assiduity posted:

Is Worms 2: Armageddon any good? It just came down to 69p according to Appshopper, was wondering if it was worth playing or if it's just not worth playing? Noticed that it seems to float around £3 normally.

It's alright, and it supports async multiplayer. It has a large install size though, something like 500mbs if I remember correctly.

Pray For Death fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 19, 2013

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Iesabel is a fully featured action RPG with no IAPs, and it supports up to 8-player coop. It's currently 80% off at $0.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Self quoting to answer my own question: I went ahead and grabbed it on the general principle of it being on sale and all. Non-stop crashes, I can't even get through the first couple of battles without getting dumped to the desktop. 64gb model that's only about half-full (mostly of videos) as well, nothing else loaded up, freshly restarted, etc.

Well that kind of sucks, but it serves me right for being impulsive and not looking more into it.

Ask Apple for a refund, you might get it.

Frozen Synapse works well on iPad 1 as far as I know.

• Locked thread