Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug
I took 3WPPKPWAHFNX, thanks!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug
Has anyone played Empire since the big update (yesterday, maybe)? It looks pretty interesting I just haven't had a chance to mess with it.

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

Emron posted:

Why are there two kegs of keys and why is one of them worth as much as a mound of keys or whatever.

Honestly who keeps their keys in a keg anyway!

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug
I grabbed N3Y4RHT9EFL7 - thanks!!

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

Vulgar posted:

Electrium dev, I would like to suggest the ability to either sell ships or just get rid of them. I'm not very happy with my current fleet configuration and would live to be able to swap ships out

Yeah I agree with this as well. I really like the game, but like others have mentioned it might be nice to queue up common tasks (like a "mine until full" type deal). It might be nice to upgrade your "HQ" as well, and maybe tie that in? So for a boatload of minerals/etc you expand HQ and that enables you to queue up x number of actions. Further upgrades allow for more convenience, and so on.

e: This sounded annoyingly "ideas guy"-ish. The game is pretty enjoyable as is!

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

FlashBangBob posted:

That's pretty cool. I put in the news events (although right now players can't see what the exact news event is) and the 15th one it rolled since it put it in place was a Great Depression roll (1 in a 1000 shot). It lasted awhile too.

That's pretty cool but knowing that was possible would've been nice as I slowly bought up Electrium starting at $550 down to $475 (because I had only ever seen it trade before in a 500ish-650ish band). Also didn't realize there was a limit to the amount you could buy!

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

FlashBangBob posted:

The most recent update said: "The resource market is now MUCH more volatile, and less influenced by players". This should indicate that anything is possible.

Yeah in retrospect I suppose it does, and you mentioned it here too, I just didn't make the connection. Honestly I was probably more hurt by the limit on elec storage, since it reduced my ability to further drop my average cost per unit. But I get why you would limit the storage.

It's ok SPCO can recover from its 2nd - 13th fall, my board is fully backing my recovery plans: mine more space rock.

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

FlashBangBob posted:

I should at least elaborate, not that it truly helps since you don't know what event is forthcoming, but news events come in two forms: Instant Resource Drops/Gains (most common) and Slow, Global Resource Gains/Losses.

Instant resource drops/gains are like that of a company in the real stock markets announcing news. Something happened unexpectedly and the price adjusted instantly to that news. This news only affects one resource. This is most common and has happened a few times (albeit none drastically (2-5% is the norm))

Slow, Global resource gains/losses are much larger macro events that affect all resources the same. These compare to like "housing bubble burst". All resources are impacted, and they are all impacted at the same rate. This is what happened tonight. (Markets lost around 50% tonight)

The reason why I haven't coded in the current news into the game quite yet is because the latter is too easy to make adjustments to. "Oh, the universe is in a recession? Okay let me just sell all my poo poo now and watch it burn". I'm still humming if I even leave in the global events.

For what it's worth, I like the idea of having both types of "events" possible - it keeps the market dynamic, and creates opportunities for those who happen to be sitting on a huge pile of cash to skyrocket. As for the news, that's tough - because there isn't nuance to interpret, and the market is now limited in its response to players (because without nuance response to any news item is gonna be obvious). In the normal market I can read the news and notice that a plant exploded in, say, Oregon or something. I can then check and see how bad the damage was. If I find the potato crop was significantly harmed, I'm gonna sell any stock I have in companies that depend on potatoes as fast as possible (and buy stock in companies that do soil rehabilitation or sell recovery equipment in that area or whatever).

In the game obviously that won't work. On the other hand, having a witty news story regarding the cause of x material dropping (or gaining) might make it more fun even though it won't make sense to trade off that news.

Anyway it's pretty fun the way it is - even gritting my teeth through massive losses.

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

Daedalus Esquire posted:

My biggest problem with day trading is that I bought a lot of resources at a price that hasn't been seen since the first or second day the game existed. I assumed that the day zero prices would sort of be the "average" of the expected range from whatever your equation is to calculate, instead the resource I blindly picked as my major investment has just dropped and I feel it's totally arbitrary. Looking at ships, the ranges of finding every resource average out to even if you have equal numbers of each ship (lava/ice). I get you don't want the market to be gameable or too dependent on users flooding or buying up a market, but I'm essentially playing spin the wheel. I can't see news, I can't see historical prices, I can't even see an all time high/low to make an educated guess. I'm guessing blindly, on orange, green, blue, or grey, and I that would be fine except for the fact you are trying to tell me that it's a market.
Markets are (supposed to be) rational on the fundamental level. Price is a function of actually completed trades, everyone sets their buy and sell prices, and when two people find a price that fulfills both their requirements, a trade occurs and the price updates to that value. If there is bunch of a scarce resource I can have a standing minimum to sell, or a standing maximum to buy.

The way the game makes the market feel is that it's non-existent. It's like if everyone could ONLY buy from or sell to a government or central agency and they basically set arbitrary prices. I know you said the game needed to work if only 1 person ever played it, so I get why it's structured like that, but we just have nothing to go on. I might as well download a roulette or craps app because I don't have a way to make an educated guess. The real stock market may be a gamble, but I can still see the news, I can still see history, and most importantly, I can understand that even with historical data or watching a stock trend up or downward, it isn't actually an indicator of future performance.

I guess the biggest issue is I'm essentially forced to guess and don't have any tools to add education to that guess. If I buy a resource speculatively, I basically have to babysit the game in hopes of catching a higher value which is unreasonable as I am an employed adult. The solution for this for the stock trading I do in real life is that I can make a standing order, say to sell all my shares when the price reaches a value I decided gives me profit. By knowing the news surrounding the stock, it's 52 week hi/low values, and what I purchased it for, I can say "this is a likely to occur price that will not make me lose money," set the value, and when it hits the number it resolves. I'm now MORE likely to make another trade because I didn't miss the window just because I'm not dedicating my life to being a broker. In regards to the game, I would buy and sell resources more if when I checked the game, it wasn't always a flat price or dropping market. Maybe the market goes up, but I've rarely seen it, and I've certainly never seen at least two of the resources at their "original price."

Tl;dr: our trading options are so simple we can't day trade unless we sit there with our app open all day. The current market feels like a slot machine, not a market with "rules" because every player is essentially blind and deaf. You really should consider throwing us a bone on the data front, because as it stands, the average person is going to be risk averse.

I agree with all of this, although a good question would be how many players will be approaching the game with a fairly strong investment strategy vs a "lets buy and sell wheeee!" approach. I do agree re: the information, just buying and selling stuff in a vacuum is not engaging. I want to see some piece of news and think "man, that's really bad for x material but could create strong demand for y material" and therefore sell off x and buy y. I don't have to be right about that every time, or it doesn't have to always work out the way I guessed it would, but there needs to somehow be the illusion of control.

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

FlashBangBob posted:

I really need your help with this:
If you have the sense that a resource is going to go up in price, but it doesn't... it essentially makes you feel like you are playing a wild guessing game. <--- This is not fun
If you have the sense that a resource is going to go up in price, and it does (Because the game or history told you so) then there's absolutely no work to be done by the player other than to translate the information into buy or sell. <--- This is not fun either.

Your first point isn't necessarily true though. Consider the success of the roulette wheel, especially when players can see historic information. We know humans extract patterns where there are none, right? But seeing the history gives you a feeling of control or knowledge that while very false, still feels better than blind guessing. "Wow, it's been red the past four spins, bet red!! Drat, black. But now red again?? Black was an anomaly!"

If we saw historic prices (maybe just over a daily period with intra-day significant movement) you would at least be able to decide if the low you saw at noon was the lowest it was going all day, even if that's a blind guess. It still feels better than having no information at all to support a decision. Even better would be the news stories that accompanied movement. So I see Electrium was $400 at noon and it's slightly up off that low at 1, and I reason that it's unlikely to break that barrier now that it's off the low, so I buy. Then the price drops and I see a news story that a one-time influx of Electrium due to the liquidation of some company has hit the price. That "news" is random, and is just generated to justify the price going down...but I, as a player, can more easily believe that I was RIGHT about that pattern and some random thing screwed me over.

You'll find (I think) that people see patterns in all kinds of ways if you give them information. Wow the past three days between 3-4pm electrium jumped because of company liquidation! It must be a daily thing!!

This is basically the way the short-term stock market works too actually, almost 100% random in the extreme short term and yet people are content to play that game, because of the illusion of control.

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

Kalman posted:

Graphics aside, so far Dream Quest is a ton of fun to play - the deck building and combat both are fun and the rogue like aspect keeps it interesting. Really nicely designed game - if you let the graphics keep you from playing it and are a fan of deck building type mechanics, you're missing out.

I think it's been noted before but it really sucks on an iPhone - the tap targets are far, far too small. I found myself tapping repeatedly at tiny squares to get any result. On the iPad it's a much better story and the game does seem like fun so far.

Also it annoys me the iPhone version isn't 4" screen size, but that's less about function and more about aesthetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

Kepa posted:

Super Quickhook probably holds up the best. Though we've yet to update any of them for iPad/the new iOS sizes. One day we will, just need to make time. Maybe use any Android porting as an excuse to devote some time to updating them, at least SQH.

SQH was amazing, I played the heck out of it. I would even pay money for the re-release with updated screen size.

• Locked thread