Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I have develop mode on my mac and the EA slot machine thing works if you pretend to be an ipad so yay free games.

I guess you could use privacy mode or something on iOS to not save the cookies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Invisble Manuel posted:

Are there any of the Playdek games that are actually good/fun in single-player mode? I don't think I'd play multi-player very often, if at all, so I'm hesitant, even at 99 cents. Does any particular title stand out, from an AI point of view?

Ascension and Nightfall I have played both a bunch on train rides and in between other games. Food Fight has a campaign mode which sets a challenge at least (Would be cool if more of their games did that).

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Its the "What am I thinking?" game from Comedy Bang Bang...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB-OVZmo7Do

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I was feeling all special having won my first three games of Duel of Champions vs random people. Two of them weren't using the default deck either. Then I got bumped up to level 4 and lost 2 games in a row.
At least you still get gold and xp, but I see how the game could suck people into buying IAP. I think it's fun having a challenge using only the resources you get for free. I haven't bought any packs or decks, just added a few cards to the default deck. I have 2 other heroes but not enough cards to build a deck with them yet, and haven't decided which way I want to go if I use the limited free resources I have. I could afford to get a deck using gold and a box of cards using those blue dragon things (I can never remember all the specifics of these kinds of games)

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I'm really liking the Deus Ex game. The controls are fine since I try to go all non-lethal stealth. I haven't done any real combat but I could get used to tapping targets and buttons. If you liked Human Revolution then it's pretty much a full fledged prequel in the same style.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
THey curate what shows up on the front page. The whole reason the apple store became so successful is giving people the freedom of how they want to sell and market what they make.
Not everything is targeted at people with good taste.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

The Insect Court posted:

Deus Ex question: I notice there are XP and credits(or whatever the currency is called) doublers in the IAP store. Is this one of those things where to get the "real" game experience you have to buy the doublers? I'd go ahead and shell out a few bucks for them but I don't want to end up overleveled if it turns out they're just IAP bait.

On a related note, I've got to say I'm pretty impressed with how well they've managed to replicate the fell of Deus Ex:HR on a tablet. It's not perfect, the combat mechanics kinda suck, and it doesn't have the same feeling of depth and a fleshed out world the way the full-size title did, but it's very impressive given the usual app store fare.

I haven't played more than a couple missions but the difficulty when not using IAP seems about right. I don't want stuff spoon fed to me. Hunting down some weapons and trying to conserve your resources is part of the fun. Trying to take as many guys out silently without alarming anyone is how I played human revolution so ill stick to hacking and non lethal take downs. You still have in game money to get ammo etc. You just don't need to go to a weapons supplier in the game to get it so it would be easy to fall into the IAP trap if you are that type of person that falls for that easily.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

NESguerilla posted:

Deus Ex seems pretty decent. It seems like one of the more inspired efforts to bring a console/pc series to iOS. Dumbest enemies I have ever seen in a game though.

Just got an update that claims improved enemy AI behavior. And also "removed the restriction on weapon firing which affected certain devices"

I beat the game last night. They left it wide open for more content so I expects in app DLC episodes. I enjoyed what was there and probably would pay for more content since they suckered me in.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Bummey posted:

You're supporting a system that stole money from jailbroken users and would have been perfectly happy continuing to do so had there not been such a backlash. You are part of the problem.

I bought the game before I even knew about any issues on jailbroken devices and I don't currently even use a jailbroken device. Am I supposed to feel guilty cause I bought a game in a series I happen to be a fan of? Plus the bad press was enough to make them patch it anyway. That might not be because the jailbreak community is so large and buys games often, but because they like to be very vocal about it when they god given right to jailbreak is infringed upon.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I went to show my co-worker Deus Ex on ipad and it looks like after you complete the game it unlocks a harder mode but you keep your inventory and augs. So after playing through passive and not killing anyone I might go the other route and shoot anything that moves.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
People talking about keys in PVZ2 or something, but the real game with annoying keys is Ultima Forever. I started playing it cause it was free and I used to play UO for a short while. It didn't seem that bad at first. OK you need keys to unlock treasure chests so you can get loot. The keys were falling like mad it seemed at first. Then I realized you need keys to unlock extra space to store your crap, you need keys to repair your equipment (WTF, how does that even make sense?), and you have to spend 2 keys to fast travel. So basically the whole thing is a grind fest for these keys, and you just plain ignore treasure chests after a while cause you usually need those keys for other stuff and there are unlimited treasure chests just sitting in towns you can spend keys on. At least when you do these quests over and over you can level up eventually in the process, and learn a new spell. Oh but if you want to open up a new slot to quickly switch between spells you have to spend keys (either low level bronze keys to just do it for one dungeon or gold keys to make it permanent).

They could have had a really good game here, cause the graphics are pretty decent and the dungeons and missions aren't half bad.

P.S. loving KEG OF KEYS

Top In-App Purchases

Keg of Gold Keys $19.99
Satchel of Gold Keys $9.99
Pouch of Silver Keys $1.99
Keg of Silver Keys $7.99
Ring of Silver Keys $0.99
Satchel of Silver Keys $4.99
Barrow of Gold Keys $49.99
Mound of Gold Keys $99.99

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Any time these "card" games in the app store mention your cards can "evolve" or you do some stupid thing like "fuse them to upgrade" it immediately means its not really a card game and probably garbage.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

SquadronROE posted:

I've got a massively long flight ahead of me next week as well as a significant amount of time without internet connection, so it's time to find some more single player iPad games! Last time, it was all about the adventure games. Beneath a Steel Sky, GTA, and a bunch of strategy games like King of Dragon Pass and Tactical Warrior. Not sure what I'm gonna go with this time.

If you are into 90s style turn based combat RPG games then the spiderweb Avernum and Avadon games have enough gameplay for ages. I usually encode a handful of movie and tv shows for trips to mix it up between games/video/reading

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Duranki posted:

Are there no new releases tonight? I don't see anything new on TA's 'hot games' list, nor has anyone been talking about tonight as they do most Wednesdays.

iOS 7 just came out, maybe everyone is preoccupied with that.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Are there any other games that push the new chip in the 5S yet? I have IB1 and IB2, but not sure I want to get the 3rd just yet.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Zhent posted:

I have about 16 hours of plane ride to amuse myself; currently I have IB3 and FFT to play through, and Ticket to Ride as a two player game. Anything else that can be recommended which does not require a network connection to start playing? I'm not sure if we will have wifi on the flight.

Ascension base game is currently free. Works well playing against AI or pass and play. There's probably other board or card games that are good like that. Kairosoft games like game dev story etc are good time fillers. If you haven't played any of those I remember it consuming an entire weekend when I first got that one cause I got real into it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

PFlats posted:

Wait, I thought comic book Nick Fury was an old white guy. When did he turn into Sam Jackson? Or is that just for the game?

My friend was saying its actually his son http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Fury,_Jr.

But there is the ultimate marvel version http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Nick_Fury

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I personally though P&D was garbage, but liked puzzle quest. The game would be great if it was more like puzzle quest and less IAP trolling. I would pay $5 for a full fledged story version that made sense.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Heliotic posted:

How terrible is the Ultima game from EA?

On one hand, I really enjoyed Ultima back in the day but on the other I really hate being punched in the dick by EA.

Help me IOS games thread!

It seemed pretty well done but the IAP totally ruined it. I played for a couple days and then when I started being required to KEYS to repair degrading ARMOR, I was done. The IAP model didn't even make logical sense with the game, like they took a decent game and tacked it on afterwards.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I was just playing that eyeball game last night. I thought it would be more rocking and less squishy eyeball sounds, but I guess for free you can't complain.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is that Marvel puzzle thing basically PAD With Marvel?

Its like Puzzle Quest with Marvel theme and IAP stuff. PAD can suck it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

Carcassonne dropped in price for the first time maybe ever. I've never played before, but it's in my wish list for some reason. $7 is still kind of steep, but is it worth it for a very casual gamer?

It has some single player options outside of just playing with AI (weekly and random challenges), so that's definitely a plus.
Its also one of the most polished board game adaptions I have played as far as interface goes.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

axleblaze posted:

Jesus

Why would you make it this small?

Its like 1/2" smaller than a drat NES controller.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

TACD posted:

I was already interested, but this attitude by the developer means I'm going to buy it right now :cool:

I also just realised this is by the same guys that made Puzzlejuice. That should convince you either to buy this game now, or to go buy Puzzlejuice now as well (it's a great, tense combination of Tetris and SpellTower (go get SpellTower too)).

I like Tetris

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Somebody make a clone called Flappy Bard.

I also see that originally it was just called Flap Flap. If you ad bird to something its an instant hit even if its basic and half-assed and has green pipes (totally original idea)

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

I don't care one way or another about this thing, but I find it entertaining that people care so much about it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

omg chael crash posted:

So, there seems to be a "rare Flappy Bird" iPhone selling on eBay for $650. Seriously, I can't even handle this nonsense.

Searching ebay for "Flappy Bird" is pretty funny.

Heres a sale where someone is selling a high score screenshot

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flappy-Bird-258-Screenshot-/181317211892?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2a375916f4

Somebody selling the "Game file" for $50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flappy-Bird-for-iphone-ipad-android-/121272906426?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item1c3c6db2ba

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Cheep Cheep is better than that drat bird anyway

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I think we need a Metroid themed Flappy Bird game

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Anyone have any ipad games they can recommend for long plane rides? Preferably something RPG or adventure like (no endless runners). I've already gone through Phoenix Wright, Final fantasy, Infinity blades, GTA, and Layton.

In no particular order... Warhammer Quest, Avernum (or maybe Avadon), Bastion, XCOM, Bard's Tale are worth checking out. Maybe Sid Meier's Pirates, and theres some good board/card games like Carcassonne or Ascension if you are into that stuff and don't mind playing with AI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Has the game Out There been discussed yet? Anyone have any impressions?
It basically sounds like its a space survival/exploration game (so naturally FTL comes up) with a more board gamey feel. Sounds up my alley but haven't broke down and bought it yet.

• Locked thread