Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
is it me or is test flight no longer on the app store? There's some weird TestFlight App that doesn't look right at all..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Shalinor posted:

Go to the TestFlightApp.com website, and download the app from there (it'll redirect). It's in the app store, but I could never find it just with searching.

I swear to god I'm not THAT big of an idiot but maybe I am or maybe their website sucks rear end but where the hell do I do that? I see a desktop app, a developer SDK, and... nothing else...

[edit] Oh there's a TINY little text line that says "Email me the link so I can install it on my device..."

So let's chalk that up to sleep deprived father of a newborn + idiotic web design. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The problem with Temple Run 2 is as someone mentioned last page. In a genre Imangi basically created, they have already been surpassed.

Right now, from what I can tell, Temple Run 2 offers 2 things:

1) Better graphics

2) A little more variety in obstacles

Games like Agent Dash have already done that and then some.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

marshmonkey posted:

But Agent Dash isn't Temple Run.

I cannot argue against this. Flawless Victory! :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah it's been out for like 3 years or something...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
gently caress YESSSS!

Let's put it this way... I played the console demo of HOMM:COH and decided NOT to buy it over a year ago strictly on the HOPE that it would come to IOS because it just felt like that's where it belonged!

YAY!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok it's 8:12 gimme my motherfucking Might & Magic Clash of Heroes you loving fucks.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dewgy posted:

I'm noticing. It's pretty in a way that reminds me of Crash Bandicoot for reasons I'm not quite sure of, and someone in here said it was better than Temple Run I think, so apparently they were wrong. I'll probably keep plodding along every so often but it's a shame it's not a little more fun to do so.

You can't be wrong about an opinion, but for the record I wasn't actually saying Agent Dash was better than Temple Run. Just that Agent Dash already did Temple Run again ( and added more to the mix) than Temple Run did, thus kind of beating Temple Run 2 to the punch thereby making it rather iterative and pointless. (TR2)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Shalinor posted:

If we speak the Name That Shall Not Be Spoken - He Who Developed 100 Rogues, Lord Of Dinofarm - maybe we could get a few 100 Rogues avatars in here.

... though I still sometimes play 100 Rogues. I mostly don't get the hate. By no means my favorite roguelike, but the options for roguelikes on iOS are still pretty poo poo.

I don't think the game gets HATE in the technical sense. It became somewhat of an APP-DEV meme of like, "1 step forward, 3 steps back" that I think this forum just kinda laughed and slapped their foreheads at,

the hate came when the dev opened his mouth... about like anything, ever.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Apparently I've been told I'm allowed to tease goons that I am playing Nimble Quest today.

So, um... consider yourself teased! :p

(Rumor is you won't have to wait long for beta, but that'll likely be handled in another thread...)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Little Inferno is great. You get these hints from early on that it's got a dark sub-layer, and it just bubbles up slowly but surely.

I really dig it.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 5, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Little Inferno's true genius is in the mood it sets. Better than almost any other game I've played (on any platform). And it does so with only one set piece, and very limited mechanics.

It manages to be quirky and cute with this subtext of dark, Edward Gorey-esque macabre that peeks through more and more as you play.

I haven't finished it yet but it wouldn't feel out of place to have some golden-era Twilight Zone ironic twist ending.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm a bit put off by the lack of a tilt calibration in Real Racing 3. Whether software fault or my iPhone's accelerometer being a touch off, it feels like when I "go straight" it pulls to the left. But in my mind, my iPhone is straight, sooo...

also: it runs pretty nice on my iPhone 5. I do notice stutters though. Which just means that I dare not even try it on my iPad 3, huh?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Real Racing has already adjusted its timers and such to be more forgiving. Repairs are instant. Service timers are... Lessened.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

UncleSmoothie posted:

Why the heck would they do that? I thought it had be pretty clearly established that anyone complaining about the timers was a whining baby idiot who needed to get with the times.

Can we get off this? It's been "established" by people who have differing opinions than other people. On the internet. Firemonkey and EA are in the business of making money. And in so doing, some modicum of "pleasing customers" (or at the very least, not coming off like Satan Incarnate) is obviously going to be the order of the day. This is why you do soft launches in less relevant territories.

Acting like the overwhelming public opinion is that "Shut up, quit being cheap, you panzy" just because there are 2 vocal sides to an argument on the more volatile discussion forums is taking it a bit far.

Real Racing 3 is an interesting milestone (no pun intended) in not only racing games on a mobile platform, but F2P games that offer more substantive gameplay. Love it or hate it, SOMEONE has to go first. And when they do, there's definitely going to be some stumbling and whatnot to find a good equilibrium between "profitable-but-fair" and "exploitative".

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

UncleSmoothie posted:

I was making a joke on the Something Awful Dot Com Internet Comedy Forums. :ssh:

I get that. And I'm sorry if it seemed like I was singling you out. We just had like 3 pages of the most inane argument over this, and rehashing it, even in joke form, just stirs the pot.

Anyway, aside from my jumping all over you, I think I had some valid points in there near the end. This is new territory in a way, and I think it's interesting to see how it gets pioneered.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Personally I think it started with fornicating amphibians

If this is a serious post, I don't think this is true. Pocket Frogs was an F2P game, and also a pretty fun one. What I am talking about though, is the F2P-ization of larger scale, "hardcore" (if you will) games.

Monetizing those with IAP seems fraught with more potential pitfalls and missteps. I think it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SpclKen posted:

Infinity Blade is really good! I think I am going to buy Infinity Blade Two because of how much I enjoyed 1 for free. I thought someone mentioned IB Dungeons, but I don't see that in the App Store. Is that for iPad only or is that even a game?

It is an un-game now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok, Legit Real Racing 3 talk:

1) I have an iPad 3. I find the "performance" of the game (read: Framerate) to be, oh, just a hair south of acceptable. It stutters a lot.

2) This is definitely made LESS acceptable, when you compare it to your experiences on an iPhone 5 (almost never hitches, very rock solid.)

3) Not that I'll likely still be playing this then, but given the tilt steering, and the beefy processing needed, this game would be basically IDEAL on some future version of the iPad Mini that runs better processors and such. Good size/weight for Tilting, and hopefully no chugging.

Does this game support iCloud, multiple device profiles?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fazana posted:

They reduced everything by 2/3 it seems to me, if they did remove repair timers they put them back in again but at the lower rate.

I don't know if upgrades have changed as I have nothing I can afford to do atm on the only car that isn't maxxed.

Starting at the back on a fairly short race sucks pretty hard, by the time you've had to crashem smashem your way through the field the leaders are usually way too far in front for you to have a chance to catch them.

As of this morning, Repairs are still instant to me. Services take time (but less).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fazana posted:

In the interests of :science: I just took the Focus for a spin and ended up with 6 repairs needed at the end of the race after using the other cars as braking points. 2minutes 15 seconds worth. I *think* that's a third of what it was when I played last night but I'm not 100% certain. Still peanuts, repairs weren't the big hassle.

Or at least not for a start but eventually I was racking them up every race as you have no choice but to bump and grind to get anywhere in a 22 car field in a 2-3 minute race.

Are you not near internet or something? Sometimes the game updates when you launch it. Repairs are instantaneous. (for me.)
As in, press the button, and a sound goes off and you are repaired. SERVICING still takes time.

That said, I just did dumb poo poo. I assumed the timers could run concurrently. So I had a 30 minute service and was like, ok might as well also do any other <30 minute servicing. Sure enough, I didn't realize they queue. (Which makes sense, sadly.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fazana posted:

Yup, I've been rerolling P&D JP version a big chunk of today including just now and have an ongoing chat window with my son while I help him diagnose some trouble with his PC :iiam:

I *think* each of the three types run consecutively within their own tree but concurrently with the other groups. I get "Focus is repaired" notifications which are essentially useless as it will still be sat in servicing etc.

I forgot to mention I'm running it on an ipad3 and whilst I see the odd stutter I've been pretty impressed at how well it runs with how many cars can be onscreen and the level of detail on some of the tracks. I don't have anything to compare it to though, a friend has an ipad4 and he was really raving about it.

Actually, I killed everything (including RR3) and restarted and yes, now Repairs take time and must be queued. Not MUCH time, but time.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

porktree posted:

I'm re-evaluating my opinion, the instant repairs, and reduced maintenance time let me play as long as I'd like. I've picked up some other cars and am at 50% on Pure Stock, and with the new balance I can see this being fun again.

It totally runs ragged on my iPad 3 - stuttering, and hitching. And not just when I get a notification. I like the Time Shifted Multiplayer - much better than AI that follows a racing line no matter what.

Are you Bill A.? Scourge of my TSM?
:)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Shalinor posted:

If anyone else was vaguely curious about Apocalypse Max: Better Dead Than Undead, it also went free.

It's a pretty solid side-scroller, but the controls scream "I wish we'd been making this for PC." Virtual stick, shoot button, jump button, separate swipe gesture for melee, the expectation of combining move + jump + swipe during the fall to air-drop on guys... bleh. There seems to be a fun game there if you can get past the controls, though.

I tried to use one of those BluControl jailbreak tweaks with the iCade 8-Bitty, thinking "oh yeah, this, with a controller will work nicely." No dice. Not sure where the disconnect was, but it didn't work right. I'm tempted (as always) to blame the lovely mapping of the 8-Bitty.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

goferchan posted:

I haven't played it but there's a game based on the Wargames movie that seems really similar and is apparently good. Dungeon Story is also pretty similar and a little more rough around the edges and a little less balanced than Dungeon Raid, but still fun-- also it's been receiving pretty regular updates since release. Puzzle Craft is also worth checking out, it's like FarmVille crossed with Dungeon Raid and I somehow mean that as a compliment.

As a fan of Dungeon Raid, I tried Wargames thinking it would feel like a cheap knockoff... But it was actually really fun. That said, it is *fairly* similar, so it depends on what aspect of DR you are a bit burnt on... But it's really entertaining. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Great sound effects, too! It's got a really satisfying feel.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

randyest posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly is the issue? What button is so important it causes rejection?

It's just a giant button that says [KUNT] (it stands for Kitties Under Normal Time)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Moose-Willis posted:

So is anybody playing Fun Run? This game is hands down one of the most addictive games I've ever played. The best I can describe it is like some type of online platforming Mario Kart with all the requisite frustration and swearing. gently caress magnets forever.

This??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9InDb9QDqN0

Ew...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wtf, that's what passes for a game? I feel like it's for retarded kids...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Beelzebozo posted:

I don't know how safe that assumption is anymore. They've made a lot of really bad business of video games decisions in the last two years, like betting half their warchest on the 2004 MMO model and the Star Wars license. And even if they know a lot about the business of console and PC video games, that doesn't necessarily imply a vast amount of transferable knowledge to the smartphone space. Those markets are pretty different.

It's a safe assumption they still know more than you or I. At least about how to make money in their chosen business space...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Can anyone give me even the tiniest push in Year Walk? I want to check out a cool game but these types are not usually my forte. So far all I can do is walk around. I'm not getting anywhere... I feel like I am missing something fundamental...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Corridor posted:

Yeah, this game is a pretty much entirely a maze, and if you're having trouble now it's not gonna get easier.

Assuming you're still riiight at the start, your goal is to head to the left-ish and find the windmill.

Yeah I got to the windmill before I posted. I got to the cave/well thing... saw signs on the trees. But I can't seem to ever interact with anything... I just get there and go inside and it's a dead end or something...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Clocks posted:

Did you, uh, talk to the girl inside the windmill?

Ah, I did. Many days ago. I must have forgotten I already went there. Soooo, given there are no missions or objectives listed, what is one supposed to do if a couple days pass and they forget what they were told..? :\

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

crazypeltast52 posted:

Is the forest night or day?

Looks dark?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man, I feel like an rear end, but I'll be that guy. I just do NOT have the patience, etc for Year Walk. I get that it's artsy and evocative and creepy, and leaves it all for the player to discover, but I don't want to feel THIS aimless when I'm loving around on my iPad on the couch.

I just don't enjoy being totally lost, or having to write every thing down.

Shame because it looks like neat stuff to look at...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

jammu posted:

Anyone else tried SPACETEAM?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spaceteam/id570510529?mt=8

It's a weird boardgame(ish) game about flying spaceship for 2-4 players.
All players have to be on local wifi or bluetooth connection and with their own IOS-device.

Each players screen is made out of random controllers.
Each player gets instructions what to do. Controllers for them can be on anyone's console,
which leads everyone trieing to shout their commands so someone "Sets jiggawatts to 3".

Round ends when enough commands have been executed and faster rounds will ensue,
until team is too slow to do their job and gets consumed in giant nova.

We tried this with 2 Ipads and Iphone and it was pretty hectic and fun.

Nope. Never heard of it!
Did you know we had a black president?!

;)

(It's been somewhat of a goon/Internet darling for some time now...)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
All opinions welcome, but I'm mostly speaking to the esteemed iOS devs up in this piece...

I moved to Seattle 5 months ago, whereby I work from home. I also have a 10 week old son. So I'm home like, a lot. A LOT!

I've always had strong opinions about games/game design. But zero technical know-how. Anyway, the wife suggested I look into a class or hobby to cure my boredom and get me out of the house occasionally. And couple that with eeenmachine telling me a while back that I should learn to code and make an app (and pointing me to that Polymer dude's blog which was a pretty cool read.)

Anyway, for someone who knows nothing computer-languagey other than some basic SQL, what would be the best FIRST coding language to learn that would be applicable to ios game/app coding?

Thanks for your input! :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks for pointing out that other thread guys. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Do we have a release date for Dungeon Hearts?

[e] 3/28

Feenix fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So is Radical Fishing a thing I should be excited about tonight?

• Locked thread