Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
It's a shame the ipod 5 can't run ipad games because it's sleek as gently caress. It feels loving amazing in your hands (cause it's so thin), fast, looks as crisp as it can be and the new metallic back is super neat. As someone who upgraded from a 4g, it is like night and day.

The only complaint I would have is that they only had pink at the store but who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Eegah posted:

You'd think timers for sleeping or building items would pass in real time like every other F2P game I've ever seen.

Except the timers on those games last hours if not days.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Holy gently caress! I'm glad I hesitated on Summoner Wars. I'm buying every single one of Playdek's anythings.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

busfahrer posted:

Long before I owned an iPad, I found out about a WW2 strategy game, and one of the things I remember is the art style. It wasn't unique, but the art was really well executed. Anybody know which game I might be talking about?

World in war? World conqueror 2?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Boxman posted:

Cytus is also on sale for just a buck, and I think there's at least 20 songs there without having to pay to unlock more. I haven't tried DJ max, but Cytus is a blast.

Cytus has 42 songs out of the box and 20 more available as IAP. (The IAP would run you ten bucks though. It's kind of an odd deal.)

They are also doing a really weird thing where they are planning to have a total of 100 songs and every 100k purchases of the game makes another set of IAP songs free. Or maybe it's 10 new IAP songs every 100k players? Their wording is not great but they have dreams of getting a million players across all platforms and having 100 songs out of the box.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, that million thing is going to take forever. Consider how long it took them to just get to 100k. I just bought the two dlc packs to support them.

I honestly don't think they'll ever manage but the game is pretty drat good and a great deal even without the discount going on right now.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Strategy fan? Might like hearing that Hero Mages is currently free. It looks kind of amateur and apparently there's some odd IAP (at least in the android version, I hear.) but so far it looks perfectly serviceable, has multiplayer and free is free.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Has anyone tried Motor World: Car Factory? It's a car themed button pressing simulator with some neat game mechanics and a pretty odd style to it. Kind of like Pocket Planes mixed with some veeery light elements from something like Grand Prix story where you build cars and slowly improve on them/take them out for a race.

The only problem I see is that it has social stuff up the rear end so... have a friend code yalls. You can add friends and have them work at your factory or wait until the tutorial prompts you for a code so we both get stuff: FGJQ71

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Necroneocon posted:

It gets super grindy later with the donuts stuff.

Seems a bit like it yeah. I've read it's manageable if you go super sperg on it and micromanage; Use all your donuts before you level up so they get replenished, build cheaper cars so you get some donuts out of the building process, that and the upgrade that increases your donut storage fills the bar up completely too... but yeah.

It's like British Leyland all over again.

Fazana posted:

Hopefully they have done something about that choice in the meantime.

I guess now you can upgrade your lovely dudes to engineers if you use premium currency? Seems a bit expensive at 15 "cash" a pop but I just started so the money might rack up later on.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

fount of knowledge posted:

So I remember someone in the past recommended the Hunters games for people who like tactics, but I was wondering if it's worth playing the original first or if I should just jump straight to the second one?

The games are very similar and neither has amazing plot anything so not really.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Pointing the rocket in the right direction is not 'sperg levels of realistic physics'.

So what would be the correct maneuver to make orbital maneuvering? Genuinely curious cause I don't know.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

The Insect Court posted:

What "deep" turn-based strategy games are available for iOS? Civ-likes or X-COM-likes, whatever, as long as there's some depth to its mechanics and a significant amount of content. I've made my way through Final Fantasy Tactics and Civ: Revolutions. What else is there? How are the Avernums that have been ported over? edit: I've also tried Battle of the Bulge and while I am horrendous at it, stuff of its complexity would be awesome.

All these fit the bill:

War of Eustrath
Frontline Tactics
Hero Mages
Great Big War Game
Hunters 2
Kirin Wars (Ugly as sin)
Rad Soldiers
Rebirth of Fortune
Ravenmark
Sol Tactics (Kind of meh)
UniWar
World Conqueror 2
World in War
Song Summoner
Tactical Soldier Undead Rising
Spectral Souls

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Sidpret posted:

How are these? I know Spectral Souls has a free trial so I'll check that but I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more about it, especially since the unlock price tag is pretty steep. Rebirth of Fortune looks like a complete tactics ripoff. If I had to choose between it and FFT, keeping in mind that there's a $13 price differential, which one should I go for?

Spectral Souls is pretty average all around. The plot is nice and there's really nothing that fantastic or terrible about the game (other than the graphics for the virtual buttons)so it really depends on how much you like the 'Hold' and 'Charge' mechanics because they really are a big part of combat. On the bright side the game is pretty long and even has multiple endings so there's plenty of game to play.

Rebirth of Fortune is more like an extremely simple version of something like FFT. The combat is much simpler and has a timing element where you must tap a button at the right time to increase your damage; It also has no real plot or campaign and instead just has a bunch of skirmish maps that you must clear and unlock new character classes in the process. I honestly don't think it's worth it at the current price but it often goes on sale for a dollar or even free so I'd wait for that.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Sidpret posted:

How are these? I know Spectral Souls has a free trial so I'll check that but I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more about it, especially since the unlock price tag is pretty steep. Rebirth of Fortune looks like a complete tactics ripoff. If I had to choose between it and FFT, keeping in mind that there's a $13 price differential, which one should I go for?

In some kind of creepy coincidence they updated Spectral Souls to support some controller thing and they also released Rebirth of Fortune 2 today.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Motor World? Aw yeeeah. I guess he is not as amazing as some other characters but hopefully him and Coin will make the game easier on the grind. On a related note, does anyone know what that sad smiley face next to the worker's name means?

I've seen a couple people mention the game too so if anyone is interested in friends, my code is FGJQ71

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Just spent a full twenty minutes trying to win a fight in Wrestling Revolution, even managed to get the other guy to scream and tap out TWICE but the ref wouldn't give the match :saddowns:

It kind of sucks because I'm not exactly sure how pinning works and since it was the japanese federation I don't know if the game was being clever with the ref being poo poo or if it's something else.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

nutranurse posted:

Well... what kind of match were you playing? Also don't use the touch controls unless you also are into BDSM; just use the virtual controller.

It was just one on one I think. There was nothing fancy on the ring or anything. And I am using the buttons but not quite sure what to do when I'm trying to get someone to tap out or how to pin.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Adventure Bar Story is currently free and a neat little game that had some positive buzz back when it came out. Not the prettiest RPG but a pretty solid fit for a mobile.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
World Conqueror 2 is now free for the first time if anyone is looking for a strategy game. Plays kind of like Risk/Advance Wars/Hearts of Iron lite and it has a ton of campaign scenarios, a 'conquest' game mode that is pretty much like free play, multiplayer and covers units from the start of WWII to well into the 1950's.

The problem is that the translation is kind of spotty and the gameplay mechanics regarding damage taken/received are not clear enough but since it's free you really can do no wrong.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I have to say, Dead Ahead is probably the first endless runner that has gotten my attention in a very long time if only because it looks gorgeous. I just wish the ads were a bit less annoying but I guess that's just all the more encouragement to throw the game a couple bucks.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Grimmeh posted:

Good god, Dead Ahead is awesome. I love that you can control the speed of the bike as much as you can; the risk-reward system is very well balanced. There is so much attention to detail in the animations that half of the joy is just watching the game play out.

I can see myself playing this one for longer than most runners.

It really is pretty awesome. And for some reason I also like the setting a lot more than the usual "wacky violence" tone a lot of the popular runners have. :swoon:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Feenix posted:

A little confused on the Dead Ahead love. Having your finger block a big part of what's coming is annoying. Maybe it's better on iPad...

I'd rather see the zombies chasing but then again I play by going as slow as the level comfortably allows instead of just bolting.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Primworm posted:

This last weekend I bought an ipod touch (I think it's 4th gen) and it's my first apple product. I was about to buy phoenix wright, when I decided to do a quick Google search to find out the trilogy comes out Thursday. I'm pretty excited to replay these games as I last played them when I imported the Japanese releases.

That said, are there any other visual novels in this vein? I heard ghost trick is good, but I've never played it, only watched the let's play from here. I went through some of the games in the OP, but I'm not sure how up to date it is, and as stated, its my first iOS device;usually I am using Android devices.

The Secret of Chateau de Moreau is by no means a perfect title but it fits the bill with plenty of reading, some puzzles and some scenes vaguely reminiscent of Phoenix Wright games where you have to deduce out certain things based on information you have at hand.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Duranki posted:

Any tips on how to score a 15-kill combo in Dead Ahead? The best I've managed is 12, and that was without trying.

Play on harder maps and go slow so that zombies chase you. Then just try to run over a group and rush to another, shooting back at zombies to keep up the combo if necessary. Alternatively you can go as fast as possible and hope to run tons of zombies over.

You'll get it eventually (cause the game eventually asks for 50 and 150 kill combos).

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Er... I claimed either 6JLTRAL64MA6 or 3L7ANTN6K46P :ohdear:

Had another copied just in case the first one was already taken but one of those two should be free, I just forgot which one. Sorry!

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

No, because there's already a Space Hulk game for iOS and PC in the works. :)

edit-
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/10/space-hulk-space-hulk-space-hulk-space-hulk/

Or if you don't want to wait you can even play the original Hunter games from the same dev! Cause they are basically a ripoff.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Parkingtigers posted:

Well it's another five bucks for the Skaven. I'm thinking this could end up being a pricey game if they continue to expand it. I don't mind a high cost of entry, or quality DLC, (I regularly shill for the $20 Battle Academy), but it's still a little icky to see three characters and an expansion locked behind paywalls day one when it was a $5 fee to even buy in.

It may be worth it, it may not. It's going to start some rows though. Not going near the TA thread on this one.

Has anyone bought the gun girl pillion riders in Dead Ahead? I've got enough credit left for either the Akira bike or a passenger, but I worry that the bike will make all the other vehicles obsolete. Would rather have a gun-toting companion and work my way through the bikes. Wondering if anyone has experience of them before I choose though. Do want to throw some money at that game though.

The girls themselves are basically weapons (Grenade launcher girl is basically a grenade launcher with 6 rounds per reload) so either way you are making something obsolete... and they look kind of ugly cause when you crash they just straight up vanish without a neat animation or anything.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

DrManiac posted:

They really need to fix the extra spawning in Warhammer. My ranged dudes are still level 1 beacuse the game decided to surround them in dudes that all instantly get to attack them near the end of a dungeon. There's no way to predict or prepare for it and you can even get extra enemies when fighting an encounter in a room.

At the very least let the dudes who died get half xp.

There's nothing to really 'fix', that's just the gameplay. Maybe it's just me but there doesn't really seem to be much strategy to the game.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I think WHQ's issue is not so much that the DLC is too expensive but that the prices are not balanced at first glance. It didn't happen but if the game was 10 bucks and came with five classes out of the box it would seem more sensible but as it is it 'feels' like a cash grab.

Of course, I think there's also the issue that it kind of sucks even compared to Hunters 2 but I guess I'll be in the minority there.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Russad posted:

So, what's the deal with the Kingdom Rush IAP heroes? I like me some dragons, but $6.99 seems... hefty. Are these just basically like buying cheats?

Nope. They just are THAT loving expensive and I've never seen them on sale.

And talking about the sequel, the odd lookind elf was just like that in the first game too.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've never played FFT but loved Disgaea 1. How different is FFT and would I like it if I'm searching for a game similar to Disgaea?

FFT is about a million times slower, can gently caress you up (might even force you to restart the entire game) if you don't keep different save files and people will happily tell you to exploit the mechanics to level up and unlock fancy stuff because that's the only way the game is remotely fun.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Anyone else playing Solstice?

It's a game by Zynga... that's a MOBA... and it's not completely terrible? :stare:

At least the heroes have a wide array of different powers

Yep, it's pretty decent. I kind of wish it ran better on my ipod 5G but otherwise I think it controls and plays a bit better than something like Heroes of Order and Chaos (although I like that one too). Would be nice if they worked on the shop menu a bit because buying stuff seems like a pretty slow process compared to how little time you spend dead/healing.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Arcturas posted:

How can I tell what kind of iPod I have? I've got a few-year-old iPod touch that my dad gave me, and I have no idea what generation it's from.

Check here.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Holy poo poo! This makes me irrationally excited. Hopefully it will be an universal version of sorts.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
So kind of a surprise, Kingturn RPG Plus is out. Guess some strategy fans will be blowing even more money on the appstore today.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Coldrice posted:

Hey guys my first ever game just hit the market today:

https://itun.es/us/46VqN.i

It's COMPLETELY free. It's called bitcrobes- it's a microorganism game. Kinda like physics based pacman with upgrades. Even if you just download it then delete it after 1 minute I'd still feel good that you took the time to play my little game.

I got a gibberish pop up and the game charged me 5 bucks for something? :confused:

Nah just kidding! It's not even available in the mexican store either so... yeah.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Oh Christ I had forgotten that appshopper actually filters like 90% of app releases from showing up normally and so keeps us away from wonders such as wild copyright infringements, threesomes, alpacas, whatever the gently caress this is and huh.... :shepface:

I thought mobile gaming had gotten a bit more sane in recent years but I guess there's still all this ticking underneath.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Bummey posted:

I'm downloading that alpaca game right loving now; the second screenshot sold me on it.

You are playing with fire, my friend. (Remember that cat defense game? Crazy poo poo happens).

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I've unleashed the alpacalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I guess the alpaca game is actually kind of a big thing.

http://www.startup-dating.com/2013/05/alpaca-evolution-hits-4-million-downloads (Mild Alpaca spoilers)

Check out these bad boys.

• Locked thread