Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

KGBAgent185 posted:

I just noticed that punch quest got a 2012 editor's choice award and it is still featured in the App Store, grats guys.

EDGE magazine in the UK also put it on their list of best games of 2012, and it also won the special award for 'Most Undeserved F2P Cataclysm:

http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-edge-awards-2012-alternative-awards/12/ posted:

By the time RocketCat had almost reached a million downloads of its brilliant free-to-play auto-runner, Punch Quest, the game had banked a paltry $10K, barely a minimum wage salary for the developer effort involved. It’s sad that RocketCat was forced to learn an expensive lesson in what non-grinding, non-pestering, player-friendly game design gets you in the world of free-to-play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Froist posted:

I've played the first episode of The Walking Dead, really enjoyed it but tempted to re-play it as I instantly regretted the decision I made at the end :(

Do not do this.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Nickoten posted:

The decisions you make in The Walking Dead affect your relationships, yeah, but it's really more about how they affect the player. That's more or less the core "effect" the game is designed to evoke, so undermining that would probably ruin the game for the dude who was asking. He said he felt regret for the decision he made. That's exactly what should be happening.

Basically this. If you play through with different choices you'll no longer be feeling all the regret, and anxiety, and stress. You'll just be feeling 'beep boop videogames choice = 1'.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Someone mentioned slot machines a while ago which got me to thinking. There's plenty of boring slot machine simulators but are there any fruit machine simulators? As in the proper ones, with the feature boards. I love playing those but they're just too bloody expensive at the pub these days so an iPhone (or hell, PC) fruit machine game would be amazing.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Dewgy posted:

I dunno, but I've been playing a game called Coin Dozer that scratches the hell out of that same kind of itch. You get 40 coins to play a virtual coin pusher, there's prizes and upgrades (don't sell your prizes holy bajebus getting sets of stuff gets you crazy bonuses), a shake button, weirdo special coins, and the only downsides are the regen rates are a bit poo poo and it's kind of ad-heavy. Free though, totally worth a try.

edit: Oh yeah, and leveling. It's silly.

Yeah I played this for a while but then my save reset and gently caress that forever :smith: Coin pushers are my other great arcade love along with fruit machines though, so you were highly relevant!

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Bummey posted:

What's a fruit machine? :confused:

This is one of many Deal or No Deal machines. They're much better than the TV show, I promise, though I'd much rather play some of the older ones like Pink Panther :unsmith:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Mozi posted:

... I have no idea which button to push.

That's a lot more buttons than the old-school ones would have but really it's mostly Cancel, Holds, Collect (cash out), and Spin. Over the years they added stuff like Bonus and Change Stake making them unnecessarily confusing but they're pretty simple really! Do you not have these in the US?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

The rear end Stooge posted:

Fruit machines and slot machines are the same thing.

This isn't really true. Slot machines as you know them in the US are incredibly dull. Fruit machines usually have a feature board which plays like a gambling board game, and that's the part that I'm really interested in. For all the iOS slots games that just have you staring at the reels until you match fruit, I'd have thought that one with much deeper gameplay elements would be popular too :shobon:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

tuyop posted:

I assume you know about king cashing then?

Yeah, I played that but didn't really get the appeal. Just felt like another slot machine to me. Where are my iOS fruit machines Apple? :mad:

E: ^^^ You better be! :allears:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Shalinor posted:

Do you mean something other than all the various feature machines you find in Vegas?

I've never been to Vegas so I couldn't tell you, but google images is just giving me a bunch of normal slot machines and one-armed bandits for 'feature machine gambling'. What I'm looking for is specifically the British fruit machine style.

ZerodotJander posted:

You may not have noticed that King Cashing is a timing game, when you press stop the image that was centered at the moment is the one that stops, and you can stop each reel individually.

This was actually specifically why I disliked it :shobon: I really don't like timing games. Also, I feel bad bringing this up after a few pages and if I'm getting too :spergin: about gambling machines tell me to shut up, I don't think any apps for this actually exist on iOS :(

E: Also, am I really slow or has no one else noticed that 10,000,000 turned up on Steam the other day? Congrats goon! It was a goon that made that one, right?

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 17, 2013

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I really enjoyed Heroes but everyone says to stop after the first season.

I haven't seen Castle myself but I've heard good things and Nathan Fillion is great.

Edit: Oh God, not at all the right thread, I misread the question. Disregard.

I love everything about this post.

Temple Run 2 is really fun but runs awful on an iPhone 4 :( I feel like most of my deaths come from the game hiccuping or getting a text during.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
It was the first game I ever got an a phone and I didn't understand it. I don't remember it that well but I think it was a tilt-to-smash-cars kind of deal and that was it?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I wish international flights that I got had power chargers! The closest we get is those little two-pronged headphone slots that you need to pay for an adapter to listen to really lovely radio and those 8" discoloured TV screens that are like 20 ft. away from the seat.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

robodex posted:

well, i for one am very happy they QA'd temple run 2 as well as they did

my latest mission is "collect 100,000 coins." I think I'm gonna wait for a few updates before I play this game again

I am having this exact same problem except it took me tens of games to realise my lifetime coins wasn't going up. Been waiting for a patch for about a week. And I bought the (ludicrously expensive!) coin doubler.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Zombie Block Party sounds really interesting but it's not out in the UK app store. I'm guessing that even with account fuckery if I manage to download it, no one else will have it and so it won't be worth playing?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Is there a reason Pixel People doesn't like you minimising the game? Every time I go back into it it goes back to the main screen, loads from iCloud (loads what?) and takes ages to get going again. This shouldn't happen with multitasking.

E: Even just locking and unlocking my phone. Is there a way to disable this? I can't see myself playing this for very long if not.

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 31, 2013

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

triplexpac posted:

I have this same problem intermittently with other apps. Like, New Star Soccer minimises just fine 90% of the time, but sometimes it boots me back to the title screen. Is it a memory thing with the phone or what?

Turns out there is an option to disable iCloud but I think it just boots you to the main screen for the fun of it.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Highly Unnecessary posted:

I'm so happy I just found out Dweep is on the appstore. It's a great little puzzle game made for the PC in 1999 where you have to redirect lasers and avoid various obstacles to rescue your Dweep babies.

Everyone buy it, it's only 99c.

Holy shareware batman! I remember this! I might have to buy this, I'm a sucker for laser mirror games.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Sonic Dash came out, an IAP-centric endless runner. It looks kinda nice but despite having IAP out the rear end, including an expensive doubler, it is also £1.49. So, gently caress that until it goes free.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I just can't get into Jones on Fire :( The frame rate is all over the place, the camera is jittering like it's had 17 cups of coffee, and it's dark and unappealing to look at; endless muddy greens with spats of orange and silver. Sorry Shalinor :(

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

psylent posted:

Oh please do gently caress off.

Did I miss when we all started hating on Crickler? :confused: I thought general opinion was that it was pretty okay?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Aren't most of those going to be way too hard for six year olds or am I underestimating kids these days? Cut The Rope is pretty complicated, as is Bad Piggies. Plants vs Zombies is too but starts out simple I guess. World of Goo I don't think I even beat the first few levels when I tried it last year :v:

E: Doodle jump, Zombie Tsunami

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

schwenz posted:

I'm always surprised how well my kids pick these things up.
Plus they're six, they'll play the game for 20 minutes whether they make any real progress or not.

I got my Mega Drive when I was 8 and I spent hours and hours trying to beat Green Hill Zone Act 3 because Robotnik was just impossible. Despite the frustration eventually I got there so I guess kids are more persistent than I'd thought :shobon:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You would be surprised how good kids have always been at games, or how long they can sit there entertaining themselves even if they're playing wrong. I used to play puzzle games like Yoshi, Yoshi's Cookie, Tetris when I was 3 or 4 and while it took me a while to figure out what the hell I was supposed to be doing it just added to the replay value :v:.

gently caress when I was 6 I figured out my dad kept jumping over my fast fireballs in street fighter 2 so I shot a slow one and it hit him and he told my mom what I did. 6 year old mindgames

I'm starting to think that "stories of yourself/your kids playing videogames" could make an interesting thread. I think I was like triple your age when I actually figured out HOW to execute attacks like that in SF :suicide:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Superrodan posted:

A local Phoenix AZ developer released this today:

http://indianastonegame.com/

It's an endless runner where you play as the boulder chasing the Indiana Jones-like guy, attempting to reduce his lives to 0. I haven't had a chance to buy the full thing yet but the creator's a real nice guy and what I played when he demoed it to other devs was really fun.

EDIT: Here's the trailer by itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tZ6iHvxO1s

I loving lost it at "Rolling start". Gonna give this a download.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

The Kins posted:

Here's some fun news! Sonic the Hedgehog 1 (and possibly 2) is coming to iOS this Spring. for $3.

But... hang on... didn't those come out years ago?

Well! Those were just ROMs in an emulator. These are being given the Sonic CD treatment - native rewrites with widescreen, 60fps, new modes, a remastered soundtrack... the right way to bring old games to iOS, basically.

EDIT: Apparently this will be released as a free update to the current old-rear end emulated-ROM version. Now that's how you do things.

Are these being brought to any other platforms, or just iOS?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Anyone tried Temple Run Oz? I thought the movie was okay but is it just another cash in like Brave or does it improve on the gameplay any? It certainly looks pretty.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Where do you get the song dlc for robot unicorn attack 2? The store only has purchases for the little blue things.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Sad lions posted:

Once you hit a certain rank (fairly low) the option appears.

Unlocking paid dlc is an.. interesting tactic :psyduck:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Parkingtigers posted:

It's a cute and charming game, and keeping tabs on everything during battles is exciting and fun. I really like it.

Wow, that really looks like FTL.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Pointing the rocket in the right direction is not 'sperg levels of realistic physics'.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Kenny Logins posted:

There's also the small matter of that one purple planet between the Earth and the sun, and how you can fly to the moon in about 2 minutes and the sun in something like three and a half.

These are totally different things. One is a fantasy setting (and probably time dilation because otherwise you'd be bored as hell), the other is a total bastardisation of intuitive physics. It's like if the birds in Angry Birds flew off at 90 degrees to where you expected them too.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Det_no posted:

So what would be the correct maneuver to make orbital maneuvering? Genuinely curious cause I don't know.

Someone previously said in the thread that increasing the radius of your orbit in the game is achieved by pointing your thrusters towards the surface (ie the centre of your orbit). In the real world, this is achieved by thrusting 90 degrees to that, in the direction of travel. Increasing your speed in this fashion increases the radius of your orbit.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

bobfather posted:

Actually, I find Angry Birds' lack of realistic atmospheric drag modeling to be extremely offensive.

Physicists ignore drag all the time :colbert: Plus Angry Birds are spherical, which makes physicists happy too :v:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Add me on gamecentre or whatever you have to do to play this words game so pubbies can stop quitting after one round on me. Waldorfsixpence

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Allan Assiduity posted:

Is Worms 2: Armageddon any good? It just came down to 69p according to Appshopper, was wondering if it was worth playing or if it's just not worth playing? Noticed that it seems to float around £3 normally.

It's dreadful.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Eegah posted:

It's not an MMO. You're thinking of Star Wars: The Old Republic, an MMO that came out a few years ago and cratered rather famously.

This isn't true actually. EA's sales figures show that it's more successful than ever, having gone F2P. The same is true of pretty much every MMO that isn't EVE or WoW. SWTOR is still going strong and has had regular content updates.

Part of me wishes I could play KOTOR on my phone but I also know that there's no way I'd be able to see anything and it probably wouldn't even run on my hardware. One day I will buy an iPad. One day when I am rich.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Lechtansi posted:

I loving loved KOTOR when it came out originally - is it worth buying on iPad or should i just figure out how to reinstall it on my computer?

If you'd prefer PC but were worried about the hassle of installing an old game, it's on Steam now.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Al Baron posted:

Plants Vs. Zombies 2 is iOS exclusive and coming in July. F2P.

This is bullshit. Way to get me excited for a game with a teaser trailer only to tell me that I can only play it on a tiny screen (despite having finicky controls) and it's going to have some awful payment model, no doubt. Like really, what is their excuse for no PC version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

triplexpac posted:

Have any of these casual F2P games done well on PC? Outside of Farmville on Facebook, anyway.

I know that usually when people release iOS F2P style games on Steam, people get angry about it.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if they do roll out a PC version down the line, this could just be a trial exclusive.

Didn't PvZ get an iOS release with IAP features? The PC version of PvZ2 could just be a paid game without the IAP.

• Locked thread