Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached
Intro

Since the iTunes App Store was introduced in July 2008, the iPhone and iPod Touch have become quite the mobile gaming powerhouse, with some of its best titles rivaling what you'd see on the DS, 3DS, PSP or PS Vita. Every week numerous new games are released, and while the App Store does a decent job of highlighting some titles, lots of great games get lost in the cracks. The purpose of this thread is to offer a one-stop shop for discussing all iOS games.

iOS Systems

This thread covers all iOS games, which currently work on the following systems:

The iPhone 5 (and earlier)
The iPod Touch
The iPad 4 (and earlier)
The iPad Mini

How the OP Works

As I mentioned above, there are a TON of games on the App Store, and it'd be way too onerous to try and keep track of all the worthy games on the OP. Therefore, the goal of this OP is to act as the middle-man for getting tons of games. I'll be providing links to best-of lists created by iOS gaming sites, as well as our own thread users. In addition, the second and third posts of the OP contain older games that were recommended by previous threads.

iOS Threads For Specific Games

Other iOS Related Threads

Outside Links

There is only one outside link (IMO) that you need to know. Touch Arcade is by far one of the best iOS Gaming Sites, especially since the editor-in-chief is our own io_burn along with a freelance team that features other goons as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Featured Games (i.e. what you should be playing now):

Rather than try and keep this even remotely updated (because I'm lazy), I'm just going to link to a bunch of Touch Arcade articles that do an awesome job telling you what games you should be buying.

First off, the Best iPhone and iPad Games of 2012 is the most up to date article that has a very lengthy discussion of the best games of the year. In addition, here are a few other articles with even more lists of games worth checking out:

Random Game Recommendations from Goons in this Thread:

• Final Fantasy IV
  • Ghost Trick
  • Ravensword: Shadowlands
tuyop

• Puzzle craft
  • Battle cats
  • Punch Quest
  • Spell Sword
  • Ski Safari
  • Epic Astro Story
  • Dungeon Story
  • Dungeon Town
  • Dungeon Raid
  • Spaceteam
  • The Walking Dead
  • Minigore 2
  • Super Hexagon
  • Tilt to Live

Bummey

• Sally's Salon, Spa and Studio. And Heartland, aka Sally's Horse Barn
  • Airport Mania 1 and 2
  • Puzzle Agent 1 and 2
  • Puzzle Craft
  • New Star Soccer
  • Tiny Heroes
  • Geo Defense
  • Kingdom Rush
  • TanZen, TriZen and Zentomino
  • Trainyard
  • 7 Little Words
  • Vanguard Storm
  • Helsing's Fire
  • Sword and Poker 1 and 2
  • Bike Baron
  • Pretty much everything Kairosoft
  • Mini Squadron
  • The Quest and Undercroft
  • Knights of Pen & Paper
  • King of Dragon Pass. Those ducks are thugs!

Shwqa

• Final fantasy Tactics
  • Tactical warrior
  • Carmageddon
  • Infinity blade 2
  • Kingdom rush
  • RAD solider
  • Civilization revolution
  • Arc squadron
  • Battles cats
  • Karate girl
  • Lost wind
  • Ascension

iOS Games FAQ

How do I review an App?

Not like this:

hippieman posted:

I made a film today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykBeOGcwqg4

(YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykBeOGcwqg4 )

Rules of the Thread

1. This thread is for any and all things related to iOS gaming. This includes iPad-only games (See below). Got a game you think other goons should check out? Post it here! Feel like a title didn't live up to the hype? Toss a rant here as well! Got a list of your currently favorite games? Let us know and tell us why they're still on your springboard. Seriously, I suck with keeping up with huge lists of the hottest games, so it's really up to you guys to let us know what's good and what isn't.

2. When talking about games, please mention if it's an iPad only title, or one of the games that either has a universal binary or a title that has both an iPad and non-iPad version. Alas, not all of us have iPads, so it's a good thing to keep in mind. There's also an iPad only Apps & Games Megathread located here.

3. NO SPOILING GAMES :stare:

4. Finally, don't be a dick.

Questions? Comments? Requests for games to be posted in the OP? Feel free to post it in the thread or send me a PM if you feel it pressing. Alas, like most hard working goons, I have a job that sucks the life out of me, but I'll try and update as soon as I can.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached
This post deals with games that are somewhat newer than The Giant loving List of iPhone Games (See Below). As games move off the OP, they will be placed here.

Previous Featured Games in this thread:

Mage Gauntlet (Goon Made!) - This Action RPG is an homage to the 16-bit era of awesome RPGs. Just get it now.

Shadowgun - The latest ultra graphical shooter. Sure, there are some standard control issues, but who cares! It looks purty.

Fara - Another Action RPG, although this one is not so much 16-bit graphical as it is simply beautiful.

King Cashing - A turn-based RPG with a slot machine battle system, 'nuff said.

Bring me Sandwiches!! - I've not checked this one out. But people are comparing it to a Katamari game, except it's actually fun on iOS.

Scribblenauts Remix - Scribblenauts is awesome. This is Scribblenauts for the iOS. Therefore, this is awesome.

Final Fantasy III - An enhanced port of the Nintendo DS version (which is a 3D remake of the original, NES-based version), Final Fantasy III on iOS is amazing for several reasons. First, the retina-enhanced graphics mean that this version is actually far better graphically than the DS version. Second, SquareEnix has done a good job adding touch controls to the game, making it very iOS friendly. Finally, FFIII is the first FF game to hit iOS that was actually pretty fun. Enjoy the early job system and good luck figuring out what the hell the story is.

Dungeon Raid - Goon made, Dungeon Raid takes the "match 3" formula to a whole new level. The premise is simple enough, match 3 or more of the same icon (either horizontally, vertically or diagonally) to accomplish a task. For example, match coins to purchase new weapons and armor, potions to heal yourself, shields to repair and upgrade your armor and swords to attack the enemy skulls. Despite its simplicity, Dungeon Raid's great presentation and addicting nature makes it one of the better games out to get currently. Dungeon Raid was also featured on the last thread, but the latest update, which added classes and a leveling up mechanism, has made it even more addicting. Thread is here.

Angry Birds Rio - Yes, it's more Angry Birds. However, this version, based on the movie Rio, offers an enhanced engine of the original game. New characters, back drops, boss battles, and an overall polish to the original Angry Birds formula means that this new title is certainly worth the entrance fee.

Hot Springs Story - Were you a fan of Game Dev Story? Then you pretty much need to check out Hot Spring Story. Utilizing a similar gameplay mechanic, this title has you building your own Hot Springs to entice customers and make money.

Battleheart - Battleheart is a pretty interesting game that has you create a party of four heroes (from standard archetypes like priest, rogue, warlock, warrior, e.t.c.) and take on story missions to defeat the baddies. While venturing further into the story, characters will level up, unlocking new skills as well as new items to purchase. Recommended for those looking for a strategy game with RPG elements.

Tiny Wings - Highly recommended by the previous thread. Tiny Wings is one of those short-burst games that are easy to learn, difficult to master. Featuring dynamically changing worlds, Tiny Wings is a must-try for those that are always looking for that next high end casual game.

Solomon's Keep - A top-down action adventure title, Solomon's Keep has you playing a wizard taking out baddies, while learning tons of spells and picking up a wide variety of weapons. Random dungeons keeps the gameplay fresh.

Sword & Sworcery EP - Hailed as an homage to old-school 'adventure' games. S&S is a point and click adventurer with some pretty unique pixel graphics and one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. Highly recommended in the forums.

Real Racing 2 HD - Optimized for the iPad 2 (but still compatible with the original). Real Racing 2 is about as good as you get with racing on the iPad. Featuring a decent career mode, as well as multiplayer, Real Racing 2 is definitely recommended for any racing fans.

Sword & Sworcery EP - Hailed as an homage to old-school 'adventure' games. S&S is a point and click adventurer with some pretty unique pixel graphics and one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. Highly recommended in the forums.

Real Racing 2 HD - Optimized for the iPad 2 (but still compatible with the original). Real Racing 2 is about as good as you get with racing on the iPad. Featuring a decent career mode, as well as multiplayer, Real Racing 2 is definitely recommended for any racing fans.

:frogout:Pocket Frogs:frogout: Thread is here

NBA Jam - NBA Jam is a very well-done port of the updated title that hit console systems earlier in the NBA season. Play as any NBA team in a 2 on 2 match featuring current roster stars, as well as NBA legends. In-app purchases include even more characters to use. And yes, the awesome gameplay from the 90s original is still there and is amazing.

Aralon (Open World RPG) - Some have called it one of the most impressive feats to grace the App Store. Others call it a glorified "port" of a crappy ten year old RPG. One thing is for certain, Aralon certainly turns heads, regardless. If you're looking for a western, open world RPG, Aralon is certainly worth checking out.

Sentinel 3: Homeworld (Tower Defense) - I've been a fan of the Sentinel series, and the latest iteration does not disappoint. Offering a large amount of levels, tons of customization, RPG-like elements, and good music, Sentinel 3 should be on the list for any tower defense fan.

N.O.V.A. 2 (FPS) - Continuing in the Gameloft tradition of creating games similar to hit video game series, N.O.V.A. 2 is actually a good sequel to the original iOS FPS and is one of the better FPS's available. With great retina graphics and an approachable multiplayer mode, N.O.V.A. 2 is worth checking out.

Secret of Mana (Old School RPG) - Proving that some games truly are timeless, Secret of Mana is an excellent port of the 13-year old SNES RPG from SquareEnix. The controls may take some getting used to, but otherwise, this is a pretty well-rounded port and a must for any classic RPG fans.

Angry Birds: Seasons (Physics Knock'em Down) - The "sequel" to Angry Birds, Seasons compiles both the Halloween Edition, and a new Christmas version of Angry Birds. Will more themes come in the future? It looks pretty certain.

TurboGrafx-16 GameBox (Emulator) - Looking for some nostalgia? This app offers a decent emulation experience of the TurboGrafx-16. The App is free and comes with one game, but the other 15 are in-app purchases. Hopefully more and more titles will become available for purchase.

Geared 2 (Puzzle) - Sequel to the popular goon puzzle game, Geared 2 introduces a level editor/developer/uploader, new graphics, and a crapton of new levels. This is more than just goon solidarity; pick up this game 'cause it rocks.

Infinity Blade (Fighting/Swording) - One of the first blockbuster games of the holiday season, Infinity Blade boasts the best graphics on the iOS platform, serving as not only one of the best games to showcase the capabilities of your iOS device, but it also is a pretty decent game as well.

Real Racing 2 (Racing) - The original Real Racing was pretty kickass, and this sequel takes everything to the next level. Featuring more cars, more locations, kickass graphics, controls, and a good career mode, Real Racing 2 should have something for everyone. If you're any sort of a racing game, you NEED to check this one out.

Carcassonne (Board Game) - Not only is this one of the most polished 1.0 games ever released, but Carcassonne has it all. A great single player solitaire mode, an excellent multiplayer mode, and a top notch tutorial for those that don't know anything about the game. Just get it. NOW. Now updated as a universal app.

Angry Birds (iPad Version)(Physics Puzzler) - Angry Birds is one of the most addicting titles on the App Store, and has been for some time. Control five different types of birds as you launch them towards fortifications created by the egg-stealing Pigs! The developers continue to add more and more levels with each update, making this the best game for the price.

Doodle Jump (Vertical Platformer) - Truth be told, I don't know much about Doodle Jump, but I hear it's INSANELY ADDICTING. Guide your doodler using tilt controls as you climb up levels.

Words With Friends Free (Scrabble Clone, iPad Version) - Words With Friends has been around for a long time, and its popularity refuses to die. It's extremely easy to register, find friends, and play what is essentially Scrabble with other folks. The creation of Words with Friends HD for the iPad should only serve to continue its popularity. A must have for any folks that like to kill vocabulary deficient goons.

Guitar Hero (Music) - Guitar Hero on iOS?? It appeared to be important enough that Steve allowed it to debut at WWDC 2010. In all honesty, it's actually pretty good and offers a better gameplay experience than iOS Rock Band, assuming you can get past some of Guitar Hero's "noise" as far as art direction is concerned.

Skirt Lift (Only a goon would click this link).

Previous Goon QuickPicks

Random Game Recommendations from Goons in this Thread:

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

At the end of the last thread, a few of the thread regulars started posting their lists of current recommended games. This post features some of the more comprehensive lists put out:

Teddybear:

Cook, Serve, Delicious! (iPad only): great hardcore restaurant management sim that has a ton of content and is pretty great. I think they're coming out with a trial version with a couple rounds of gameplay if they haven't already.

New Star Soccer: arcadey soccer player career sim. Surprisingly fun even if you don't care too much about soccer. Skip Arcade mode and buy the Career mode, that's the meat of the game.

Walking Dead: you should get the Walking Dead. It's $20 right now on iOS, but $12.50 on Steam for the next two days. Either way, you should get the Walking Dead.

Bastion: Bastion for 99¢ is a steal. If you have a capable device, pick it up now, even if you're not gonna play it for a while.

Kairosoft's stuff: pocket clothier wasn't their best, but some of their past work (Game Dev Story, Dungeon Village Story, Grand Prix Story, Epic Astro Story, others too) are great. They're usually good for some hours.

nomapple posted:

For those with new iOS devices, I would strongly recommend:

Async Multiplayer Games:
-Hero Academy
-Ascension
-Summoner Wars
-Letterpress
-Words with Friends/Angry Words
-Outwitters

Puzzle games
-Angry Birds Space (or Star Wars) (I didn't think much of original AB but I loved these)
-Fusio
-Trainyard

Match 3
-Bejeweled

Twin-stick/similar
-Age of Zombies
-Minigore 2
-Tilt To Live

Tower defence/strategy
-Great Little War Game
-Field Runners 2
-Anomaly Warzone Earth
-Anomaly Korea

Others because I am bored of genres now
-Real Racing 2 (Best racing game, realistic but there's plenty of assistance for beginners)
-Superbrothers Sword & Sworcery (A fully fledged experience worth everyone's time)
-Infinity Blade 2 (Works better than other styles of fighter on iOS, 1 million things to unlock, looks great)
-PunchQuest (best "endless XXXX" game)
-Mage Gauntlet (Retro style action RPG which is very fun)
-Arc Squadron (If Starfox was powered by the Unreal Engine, again, very good fun)
-God of Blades (Some say it's style over substance but I really like this game, sending an enemy flying through the air is very satisfying, it also looks and sounds great too)
-Plague Inc (a current favourite of mine, addictive and challenging)
-Organ Trail (Something different. Minimalistic, very retro graphics, but an engaging post-apocalyptic adventure)
-Pocket Planes (best free to play management thing on the app store by miles!!)

Bummey posted:

I almost forgot

Enviro-Bear 2010: the Citizen Kane of iOS gaming.

Mr EFord fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 30, 2012

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

(actually posted by a mod - just borrowing this previously empty post)

Care of Trustworthy, here's a giant list of RogueLikes, and which ones don't suck.

POWDER: So far, out of all these games, this is by far my favorite. Awesome classes and character building. Stuff like a god mechanic (different religions--each with a few rules to follow--give you different class-oriented bonuses), unidentified items (many of which are cursed; I'm scared to put on anything without a Detect Curse or Identify spell/scroll), a poo poo ton of spells, etc. Fun to navigate dungeons and great, complex character development, and intuitive controls. It's one of the more complicated roguelikes I've tried (not a NetHack or Rogue level of complicated, but way more than the other casual games listed here).

Brogue: I've been playing Brogue some, but I too would really enjoy it more with pretty pictures instead of ASCII. I'm just not that hardcore old school when it comes to roguelikes. Still, I love the complexity and it's oozing with attention-grabbing replay potential.

Dungeon Plunder: Like I mentioned in an earlier post, it's awesome in a lot of ways, but I really don't like the boring slot machine combat mechanic. Which of course is a pretty huge part of this kind of game.

Sword of Fargoal: Liking it so far; from what I've read, it seems to be a lot of roguelike fanatics' favorite iOS roguelike. Gameplay is good, but it hasn't completely drawn me in yet. The areas seem pretty sparse and lifeless. Wish there was a bit more diversity in character selection/development/appearance, but that's a minor nitpick.

The Dungeon: A handful of intriguing character classes, smooth gameplay, nice interface; one of my favorites so far. Not sure if it will turn out to be quite as complex/nuanced as other comparable roguelikes, but we'll see. Good fun.

Endless Depths: Another one of my favorite at the moment; and from the reading I've it seems like a lot of devoted roguelike fans keep coming back to this one. It does seem pretty compelling so far. Some parts of the game look a bit amateur, but not enough that it's distracting. Nice clean interface. The gameplay is smooth and enjoyable, and the dungeons seem interesting so far.

Cavern: Probably my second favorite so far. Maybe isn't quite as randomized as others (?), but it plays really well and has held my interest. Three classes to choose from. There's a bit more story compared to others, and I really like that there's an actual town you can return to to buy and sell items (a rarity in this type of game, it seems).

Pitman: Just started this one. It's unique in that it has a 3D environment, while still being tile- and turn-based. Seems a quite a bit simpler and more arcade-y than the competition. Hasn't thrilled me so far, but I need to put some more time into it.

Legends of Yore: Haven't spent much time with this one yet, but so far I'm not in love with the cartoony Zelda-ish graphics, and the controls seems really loosey-goosey. Unlike many of these games, it starts off with more an RPG vibe; in a little town with some NPCs and farm animals. Seems like a game I could warm up to.

Cardinal Quest: I just started this one, but it comes highly recommended by review sites and posters on random forums. Seems a bit simple and arcade-y, but fun. Just the three usual classes. Has a neat little ability/spell-equipping system that reminds me of Diablo or WoW or somesuch.

NetHack HD: I've only briefly diddled around with traditional Nethack a few brief times in the past, so I don't know how faithful of a port this is. It looks nice. It's one hell of a complicated game though, obviously. I have a lot to learn to be able to play properly, but I imagine I'd enjoy it a lot if I devoted enough time to it.

RogueTouch: I believe this is more or less just a shiny looking port of the original Rogue. I'd really love it the movement controls weren't so goddamned lovely. One touch and you're flying across the floor at lightspeed, often overshooting where you wanted to go. Also it's really zoomed in (although it doesn't look like it in the picture below; I wonder if there's some kind of zoom option...?), with an annoyingly limited perspective.

EDIT: It turns out that the game has a small handful of menu options hidden away in iOS system settings. Options that basically eliminate all my gripes. You can set the default view to 75%, you can switch to D-Pad controls (which are a bit large on-screen, but work really well), and you can turn off double-tap-to-run altogether. So I guess Rogue Touch currently shares my "favorite iOS roguelike" spot along with POWDER.

Mysterious Castle: Not a roguelike in many ways, but it's usually lumped into that category. It's more of a tactical, party-based, turn-based, isometric RPG that happens to include randomly generated areas. I like it in theory, but the gameplay is quite slow and the touch controls leave a lot to be desired, so I haven't found myself going back to play it much (yet). Giant Bomb write-up thingie

100 Rogues: I get why it's so highly rated; it's a fun and well-polished game. However it's a little too arcade-y for my liking (or casual, or something... so far it's just not resonating with me). It feels a lot like a turn-based Diablo, with the aesthetic feel of those Solomon games. Every room is filled with a horde of monsters. There are some cool abilities/powers, but all-in-all character development seems pretty shallow. This is a more casual game I'd play on a flight or somesuch, when I just want to pass the time and don't feel like devoting my full attention to a more in-depth game. Touch Arcade review

Trap Hunter: This one's cool, although it's not your typical roguelike. It's a lot of fun, though, and it's one I keep coming back to it. The concept is intriguing; you're a a pretty lovely fighter, but skilled at making traps. So there's a lot of strategy involved as you try to think ahead and plan out the course of a battle. Thinking about how you're going to lure a monster down your Awesome Hallway of Death. Trying to use the most effective trap-types (which there are a lot of) for various situations. Trying to synergize different trap combinations of (and there's still a ton I haven't unlocked). It's very satisfying to what a charging boss monster get stuck in your bear trap, while a couple of your wall traps pepper him with arrows. Maybe through in a poison gas trap for good measure. It's awesome when you're low on health and there's a monster running your way, and--right before he gets to you--the spike trap you put down earlier goes off and he gets impaled. The game is 3D looks pretty, controls fairly well (although the camera is a bit of a pain to move around, and I also like that it's mission-based; you get to go back to town after clearing out a big multi-level dungeon, where you can buy and sell equipment (including stock up on trap-crafting resources, if you're running low). Anyway, I'd highly recommend this one. Touch Arcade thread

edit: Oh and it's also filled with hilarious Engrish.

Slash'EM: Until I was about to try this one out, I hadn't realized that this one is full-fledged port of NetHack, with added content (classes, monsters, etc.) and increased difficulty (allegedly; I'm so terrible at vanilla NetHack, it's not like I'd notice if it's slightly harder). It's a sort of NetHack++. It's made by the dev of iNetHack (a dead project at this point) and NetHack HD. Slash'EM is the most polished version of NetHack on iOS that I've seen; the interface and controls aren't terrible, and the tile-sets make it look nice enough. This game makes me kind of sad, though, because as a roguelike newbie, I think I'd rather play vanilla NetHack. But the dev has made Slash'EM so well polished that it makes his earlier NetHack HD feel really clunky. And it sounds like the dev basically gave up working on NetHack HD altogether to spend his time on Slash'EM. So I'm torn... play a fantastic but wacked out, 'roided-up NetHack, or play a faithful-to-the-original version that's kind of lovely.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 17, 2013

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

eeenmachine posted:

Lol, Moon Drop and iDracula in the OP. You should really just link to the best of 2012 lists on Touch Arcade!

Read the OP. :colbert:

As for why the out of date large list of old games is still in the OP - I tried to take it out at the beginning of the last thread and some folks really thought it should stay there even if some of the games really don't make the cut anymore.

So consider it there as a historical look at what we used to think was good.

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

The problem now is that the OP lists so many games that it's counter productive, it's the very definition of too long, didn't read. That entire 4th post is mostly junk games that will make people thing iOS gaming is crap. Two really bad GTA clones listed and no sign of Vice City?

We really need a new, shorter list of the very best of the App Store.

I hear what you're saying. That's why I posted the 'best-of' links from TA; their picks are about as good as can be when it comes to lists. Otherwise, I think what's been posted so far in this thread (as well as the other OP posts) works well for picks.

If that last post really becomes a nuisance, I can always just wipe it.

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

Hey Goons!

TouchArcade is looking to recruit some freelance reviews writers for the site. Reviews freelancing with TA is a pay-per-publication position and there aren't any minimum or maximum number of reviews being expected.

With that said, we're looking for folks with the time and motivation to stay engaged with the team and write reviews on a regular basis. Prospective applicants also need to have some actual industry experience -- whether you've written for another site, school newspaper, blog, whatever (important for the application process). Also, it goes without saying that we're looking for folks that follow the iOS gaming scene and also have a history of PC/console gaming. Finally, as is the standard with most freelancing positions, the ability to monitor your own workload and follow through on assigned projects is a must.

Here are some of the perks for writing for TA:

• Paid position
  • Tons of flexibility
  • Opportunity to write about the latest and greatest iOS titles each week
  • Get your work on one of the best iOS gaming sites around

I've been writing for TouchArcade for almost a year and a half and it's really been a great experience. The editors are pretty chill, feedback is available if you're not certain about something you're writing, and it's a great opportunity get your work published on a large website and build your portfolio. Most importantly, it's just fun.

If you're interested, check out the OP at this thread for the formal application requirements. Also feel free to send me a PM if you have any other questions.

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

On another note, is the FFIV port really as good as the guy who reviewed it on TouchArcade said? I was tempted to buy it but Square Enix prices always make me think twice.

I'm sure my opinion doesn't matter much since I wrote that review, but I really, really like the port. Crashes very little, no slow-down at all, graphics look great and the remake retains a lot of the charm from the original.

Of course this could be nostalgia based, but I clocked in 15+ hours on my play through for that review and never really had an issue with it. Only downside is the price.

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

I've got to ask about this, but the "graphics look great"? That seems an odd thing to say. The screenshots make it look like they just took the assets from the DS port and slapped them into the iPad, and it was already pig ugly when that remake came out in 2008 on a device with a screen resolution of 256 x 192. I see ultra-low resolution textures and low polygon count models. That really ugly and utilitarian font they use doesn't help either. It's the worst kind of halfway house; doesn't have the retro charm or nostalgia factor of the original, and also isn't something that stands up graphically as a current generation game.

I'm sure the gameplay for what it is would be fine. Being able to count the pixels in the texture on a 3D character model is just ... :psyduck:

It's similar to what they did with Theatrhythm (although that looks far better, IMO). They basically bumped up the resolution and threw on a bunch of AA to smooth out the graphics. The effect is that it looks a ton better than the DS version, which was far more ragged in terms of actual polygon display.

Sure it doesn't look anywhere near a native iOS game, but compared to the DS version, I think it looks a ton better.

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

nomapple posted:

I know it was asked earlier in the thread, but any word on whether Heroes & Castles is any good? Looks kinda cool.

I'm playing through it right now and I'm enjoying it. The controls for moving and attacking with your hero are a little wonky but it still works and the rest of the build/defend mechanics are sound. Theres a decent amount of depth in upgrading as well. It's also actually pretty challenging without feeling cheap.

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I think I'll pass then. I was concerned about the controls on a touch screen.

It's unfortunately a classic example of a great game but a not so good port. I'm not sure what control scheme would have worked well for it on iOS, but the virtual buttons/stick scheme as it stands isn't too good.

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

Why have I never heard of this game before?

http://box-cat.com/

Nameless: The Hackers RPG

Not too much info on the game website (bad developers, bad) but the concept and video intrigue me.

Then again it could be just because I'm desperate for a real cyberpunk game on my iPhone.

Also someone REALLY needs to port over Decker

It's basically a generic grind-filled RPG with "Hacker Terms" substituted for spells and special moves you'd see in other, more traditional RPGs.

It has some interesting ideas for skill development and progression but it got too grindy for me.

TA Review here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

I'm waiting for Pocket Tesla where I have to plan cross country trips around where all the charging stations are at :colbert:

• Locked thread